Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th April 2012, 12:23   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Any updates from the event ? .Are they planning to do this in other cities as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
@ebonho: Eagerly waiting for the updates from the meeting. Will there be any such event happening any time down south??
The meeting was really nice. Kudos to Bajaj for being so pro-active and organising something on this scale.

There was a large multi-functional team from Bajaj and KTM India present. There were guys from vendors like Motul and OKS present as well. Not to mention the staff from Sai Service.

There were around 30 odd owners present - probably some of the earliest ones to get the bikes.

Snacks and cold drinks were thoughfully served. We were also given some nice stuff - OKS chain spray, a gift pen set from Motul with a brochure of their products, as well as a CD with all the videos and presentations.

Mr. Pingle, Bajaj's head honcho for Service, then gave us a fantastic DIY presentation in his lucid and customer friendly style, patiently answering each question, and tolerating multiple interruptions!

Then we were broken into 3-4 groups, with Bajaj service engineers deputed to each, with one demo bike, and a practical DIY session and further QA demonstrations ensued.

KTM India guys showed us the KTM merchandise and asked fro our feedback on what we wanted and on the pricing. There was a pretty neat orange bike cover for a grand which looked value for money. The rest of the merchandise was frankly too expensive.

Bajaj has also designed a paddock stand for customers who want to park their bikes stably in their garages as well as for DIY (chain etc) stuff. It does not have wheels, and one has to actually manhandle/lift the bike on to it. Frankly it does not look very practical, though it should be cheap (around a grand).

Would have been way better to have something that can pivot and lift the bike on to it - without wheels/castors if you must to keep the price down. This one will require at least 3 guys - one to stabilise the front, and at least two to position the stand and lift the rear of the bike on to it.

Here is the DIY presentation in the form of a PDF. Hope it helps! -

KTM training DIY customer.pdf
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 12:46   #257
BHPian

Thanks for the pdf doc. That will be useful! I too need to get the cover and a paddock. Currently relying on some tough bottle to the paddock's job While cover's price sound alright, paddock without wheels won't be as good as one would expect.

Regarding fuel, the manual recommends Super Unleaded RON 91. I have been using "Normal" without any trouble so far, although "Super" will help in keeping the fuel intake parts clean.
shreeda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 13:04   #258
Senior - BHPian

@ebonho , did they give any updates on the issues you guys raised about the bike ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 13:42   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
@ebonho , did they give any updates on the issues you guys raised about the bike ?
Like which?

This was more a DIY session - a formal interactive get togethether and getting to know the bike.

The issues part is being tackled on a daily basis one on one between bajaj and the customer.

Some impressive stats - apparently 2300 Dukes already on the road.

Some customers (Bangalore?) have alredy completed 10,000 kms. Wow!

The Duke has already done the SS (Saddlesore) in the one month on the road.

The Duke 200 is an important cog in the strategic wheel of ensuring that KTM overtakes BMW as No.1 in Europe within a year!

We are getting the 200 at 1.3 Lacs - while the rest of the world is getting a 125 for 3+.

P.S. The fuel gauge was an important point of discussion. Mr. Pingle did share a view of one of their internal charts with us.

Apparently at 2 bars, there is 1.5 to 2.5 Liters in the tank.

From there onwards

3 bars = 3 L

4 bars = 4 L

5 bars = 5 L

6 bars = 6 L

7 bars = 7 L

8 bars = 8 L

9 bars = 9+ L (full tank)

Once you get your Low Fuel warning, you have safely around 25-30 kms to find fuel.

NOTE: I have gone beyond a couple of times, where the Kms to Empty from 25-30 kms suddenly shows 0.

Both times the bike has been able to go another 10-15 kms to the next pump.

Disclaimer: Nt saying this is recommended. Just giving my personal experience, in case you are in a bind.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 14:47   #260
Senior - BHPian

Important DIY note with regard to Chain Cleaning:

This was shared by Mr. Pingle when specifically asked as to what to do if one did not want to use the costly sprays available as Chain Cleaning products.

Mix ONE part 30W oil with ONE part KEROSENE.

Use that to clean the chain with a stiff nylon bristle brush (do not use wire brush as that would damage the rubber O rings). You could even use an old toothbrush and a rag.

Then spray on the Chain Lube preferably when the chain is hot.

Let it stand/cool, rotate the wheel to let it distribute evenly and circulate, and then clean off excess with a rag.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th April 2012 at 14:49.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 18:58   #261
Senior - BHPian

Doc saab - Wonderful stuff! Is Bangalore on their agenda anytime? I hope there is one session at Bangalore too. All of us would be keen to swarm them with accolades, questions, suggestions, experiences etc.

Now something on mine:

I don't know if anybody is experiencing this.

But I for sure have noticed this sound of late. Lets say I've done a long ride, I come back home, park the bike in the garage and take off my helmet -- There is this distinctive sound from the engine that sounds like "Ring sound". At first I thought the rings have gone for a toss (ring sound you know) for it definitely sounds like that on mine.

Took it to the SVC and the main mechanic used a stethoscope to figure out where the sound is coming from. Ring sound was ruled out. Seems like some sound in the engine head (where the cams are located probably). He has asked me to continue riding and meanwhile he'd check with the KTM folks/Venkat sir on this.

Now I am waiting for an update from them.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 19:31   #262
Senior - BHPian

No idea Shubz - am sure with Venkat around, and Pingle saab keeping a close eye (the man is so refreshingly old school - he keeps a small spiral note pad with his field notes still. Loved it!), Bangalore should not be feeling left out sooner rather than later.

Got the air box intake snorkel put back on and rode around 200 odd kms with that last night. Bike still pulls clean and strong, but the "instant" throttle response is gone.

In the initial few gears, there is a bit of "lag" before the revs build up.

The revs build up distinctly slower, and if not seriously pulling, you also hit the limiter less often in the lower gears.

The top end though should still be around the same (saw 132 a couple of times, but as it was dark and the Sunday traffic was really heavy all the way to Khopoli and back, cannot be sure if that was it).

But I think it takes a bit more effort getting there, and the normal upright top end is more 115 than 120 without the snorkel (which is more to do with the traffic/road and how fast the revs rise).

The mileage throughout the run, throttle pinned, lots of downshifts to keep the revs in the band, was still around 30 odd.

Similar riding on the same stretch without snorkel was in the 28ish zone.

The exhaust note is still pretty rorty so no complaints there!

And oh yes, this baby climbs brilliantly. Not only that, it handles so beautifully and has such amazing brakes that you can throw her into corners at speed any which way and still make last second line changes anywhere into the turn (like when you suddenly find a lumbering truck doing 5 kmph in the just vacated path you're gunning for) and she responds and corrects and holds her line without hesitation or drama.

That's a brief seat of the pants "butt dyno" testing of before-and-after snorkel.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th April 2012 at 19:51.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 20:19   #263
Senior - BHPian

P.S. Shubz, if your rings are gone, your bike will smoke blue-white smoke. Is it? It will also be drinking oil. Is it?

NOTE: Per the Bajaj guys, oil consumption of 40-50 ml per 1000 kms is normal.

I wonder about that as that means over the 5000 km service period, the bike would have consumed nearly a quart of oil.

Sounds excessive to me in a motor which takes in only 1.4 liters to begin with.

What do you guys think?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 22:57   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
P.S. Shubz, if your rings are gone, your bike will smoke blue-white smoke. Is it? It will also be drinking oil. Is it?

NOTE: Per the Bajaj guys, oil consumption of 40-50 ml per 1000 kms is normal.

I wonder about that as that means over the 5000 km service period, the bike would have consumed nearly a quart of oil.

Sounds excessive to me in a motor which takes in only 1.4 liters to begin with.

What do you guys think?
No No NO!

I do not suspect rings are gone. I was only comparing it to the "rings gone" kinda sound.

There is no smoke. There is no evidence of oil being consumed.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:45   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
But I for sure have noticed this sound of late. Lets say I've done a long ride, I come back home, park the bike in the garage and take off my helmet -- There is this distinctive sound from the engine that sounds like "Ring sound". At first I thought the rings have gone for a toss (ring sound you know) for it definitely sounds like that on mine.
Is it a faint ping ping sort of noise? I have heard this on my bike and other bikes as well such as harleys, ducati's etc. It is from the exhaust (mid section, mostly towards the header/expansion chamber/cat-con) and is probably due to the heat which has caused the metal to expand slightly and on cooling down this sound occurs.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 10:52   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya

Is it a faint ping ping sort of noise? I have heard this on my bike and other bikes as well such as harleys, ducati's etc. It is from the exhaust (mid section, mostly towards the header/expansion chamber/cat-con) and is probably due to the heat which has caused the metal to expand slightly and on cooling down this sound occurs.
It's near the engine head for sure. And sound doesn't occur when started cold. Just checked at Auto Service. Now running around town and will go back to check
Old 10th April 2012, 10:55   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And sound doesn't occur when started cold.
Precisely. The sound is noticeable only after a ride. After the bike is warm enough (or hot enough) and is parked this tick tick or ringing sound is heard when the engine is not running.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:34   #268
Senior - BHPian

Aditya, he is talking about a sound when the engine is running.

The tic tic you speak of is the metal cooling off sounds that all bikes make.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:05   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Aditya, he is talking about a sound when the engine is running. The tic tic you speak of is the metal cooling off sounds that all bikes make.
Oops. My bad. Apologies for the confusion
Old 10th April 2012, 13:00   #270
BHPian

Quote:

I don't know if anybody is experiencing this.

Took it to the SVC and the main mechanic used a stethoscope to figure out where the sound is coming from. Ring sound was ruled out. Seems like some sound in the engine head (where the cams are located probably). He has asked me to continue riding and meanwhile he'd check with the KTM folks/Venkat sir on this.

Now I am waiting for an update from them.
I have not noticed that but I have noticed one more thing on my Duke,
once I start the ignition key to on position I have noticed a "kling" sound along with the fuel pump sound, this has happened to me twice.

I have noticed this sound only when I turned on the ignition key to "on" position, once it was in the beginning of the day (when engine was cold) and other one was after an hour of a ride of 25KM through peak Bangalore traffic, not sure where this is coming from.
Wind splitter is offline   Reply With Quote