Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th June 2012, 12:21   #346
BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
We both thought that the last run (Run #3) was form-wise the best. What do you think?

You are right. I am lucky to have Nav along on most of my rides. He is a brilliant photographer, and largely self taught. He's also got great equipment and a lot of nifty do-da's. And it helps that he is also pretty fast as a rider himself with a pretty competitive bike (the new Pulsar 200 NS) so its good fun.
Buddy, Am I really not surprised at the way you have evolved from Run# 1 to Run# 3, After you do it, and see yourself in the pictures, You learning curve is very fast, i am pretty sure, You can do a lot better. Which is ideally the way to corner, I was planning to take the Duke to the track this weekend at BIC, but I am recuperating, would not be able to lean properly, so not taking it this time, may be next time!!!

The Point is to Corner fast and lean less, I have been doing things and I feel that if you lean more, you are slower than yourself, if you are fast, you lean less but you take the corner smoothly and steadily.

Now coming to the Tech talk, KTM High Revving, High Compression, Short Geared engine, provides you ample torque when you are entering a corner, I personally feel it and recommend if you are entering a corner at 6,000RPM and in the power band then you are doing it wrong, the KTM has got ample good amount of torque spread so quickly shift to the next gear and then enter the corner, the next gear's torque would pull you out of the corner smoothly without up-shifting in the mid corner.

A bike like KTM does not tolerate mid corner inputs due to its short gearing, and invariably high revving nature, if you are already on the apex line, and in the powerband which means in a gear that is having the power maxxed out in the mid corner, you will upshift, which will inturn give you a wheel lock up and when upshifted quickly will result in a powerslide, if not then rear-wheel-slide- inshort, you could be screwed
contact.nitin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 14:35   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I completely agree with you,ebonho. Whilst going through a corner,the idea is to not tilt the bike completely but to keep the bike as straight as possible so that you keep maximum tyre surface area in contact with the tarmac which ultimately will render you with better exit speeds!
Add to that the ever present fact that no matter how good the surface, how sparse the traffic, these are still public roads, and one always needs to ride defensively. It was noon when we hit Lavasa, and there was a politician's cavalcade of some 20-30 SUVs returning back - with many of them happily overtaking taking up the entire opposite lane (sigh).

You ride for long enough, you realise that anything can happen from anywhere at any time. And while its a fact that all riders go down, its equally true that from experience one learns that going down sucks. As they say, there are bold riders, and old riders, but there are no old bold riders.

We have very few good circuits like this to practice our skills, and it would be foolish to be rash, crash, hit someone, and have the villagers up in arms and the road neutered by speed bumps coming up as a result. So we as the riding community have a responsibility not to spoil it for others.

Quote:
PS: Your friend Nav,has already got a Pulsar 200NS is it???I didnt know that Bajaj has already started delivering the bike!!!
Could you please post some pictures of it and maybe a short write up comparing it to the Duke??
This is one of the field test pre-production bikes. Sadly, I do not have any photos of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Hey!! Is this one of the pre-production Pulsar 200NSes? May I please ask you put down a short review of the bike comparing it with the Duke?
Yes it is. But I have never really ridden the bike so there is nothing I can personally say this way or the other about the bike. Plus when we ride together its not a race or a competition between two machines (NS vs Duke). Nav would be the best person to comment as it has been his daily rider for some time now.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th June 2012 at 14:36.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 15:02   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contact.nitin7 View Post
I was planning to take the Duke to the track this weekend at BIC, but I am recuperating, would not be able to lean properly, so not taking it this time, may be next time!!!
Take care and get well soon bro!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 23:13   #349
BHPian

I am facing a little issues over Cold start, and have heard there are a few more.
Is anyone else, facing such issues.

Dear Mods, can you please make a dedicate thread for discussions by the Owners at one common place.?
contact.nitin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 14:57   #350
Senior - BHPian

No problems with cold starts bro. First thumb crank even after 3+ weeks of bike under the covers.

Bike is at 4000 kms now, and Issues to date:

1) First horn was dying on being pressed for long

2) Oil weep from engine oil window

3) Oil weep from cam chain tensioner window

4) Radiator fan stopped working once (multi-pin socket dislodged)

Other than that, absolutely no issues, except for the two I have mentioned elsewhere:

5) Chain adjustment issues (too tight or too loose)

6) Rear monshock setting (between 4 and 5) and rear fender touching rear tyre hugger issues

* One rear puncture up to now (could ride another 80 odd kms back with only 5 psi lost).

Love the bike!
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 13:34   #351
BHPian

Doc!
Why the prolonged silence?
Anyone here know anyone who has taken the duke to leh yet?
wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 16:05   #352
Senior - BHPian

Yaar I must admit work pressures have ensured that not much riding is happening and she is under covers for some time now, still at 4000 kms. I usually take her out for spirited rides where some aggression is involved .

Otherwise, I am busy running in my 500 (yet again - long story, not pleasant) and I have been riding her regularly at night and Sundays, putting on the miles (800 now). Plan to get new tyres, rear shockers, and battery for her soon.

Two pals are hitting the Ladakh trail in a month's time. Currently we are working on a sump guard/skid plate as well as a saddlebag stay/frame with fuel can carriers (extra 10 liters). No tyre options planned for now.

P.S. Man I keep forgeting who "Wolfy" is .... LOL

Last edited by ebonho : 27th June 2012 at 16:07.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:03   #353
BHPian

LOL doc. You are getting old.
Reason I ask is, I would like to hear about duke owner's experiences before we set out. I know for a fact that there are a few members on other forums who have gone but no solid experiences logged yet.
PS: Less than a month before we set out. Jumping in my pants really.
wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 13:02   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reason I ask is, I would like to hear about duke owner's experiences before we set out. I know for a fact that there are a few members on other forums who have gone but no solid experiences logged yet. PS: Less than a month before we set out. Jumping in my pants really.
Yeah there are some nice photos of a fully loaded KTM on another forum. Why not share some of your plans and preparations here? Listening to your planning, I am jumping in my pants as well.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th June 2012 at 15:51. Reason: post edited to remove the "race" part since the context/humor could be misconstrued as street racing.
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:55   #355
Senior - BHPian

Big bunch of KTM Duke riders at Lonavala yesterday (Sunday) on the Amby Valley road. I counted easily upwards of 8-10 KTMs, probably more. Me and a couple of friends were on our Bullets. Anyone here?
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:35   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Hey!! Is this one of the pre-production Pulsar 200NSes? May I please ask you put down a short review of the bike comparing it with the Duke?

On topic, I've never learned proper cornering technique (possibly because I've never done speeds to warrant hanging off on one side. But I always wondered how one could get one's rear off the bike without dis balancing. Even when I've tried, getting back in position takes a bit of effort.
Try this link , found it very useful. There are around 7 or 8 parts, watch all of them as they start from basics and gets a bit technical a li'l later but very sensible stuff overall.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 22:35   #357
WMS
BHPian

Hi friends i too joined the ORANGE GANG. Its done 100 kms just a start in two days. Will be going for a ride not long but something around 100-125 kms tomorrow. Will post the pics and the experience too.
WMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 11:03   #358
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations WMS. Do let us know if the latest lots of the Duke have any changes incorporated from the early lots.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:42   #359
BHPian

Hello all my duke should be here next week. But I find the paint scheme a bit too loud for my liking, so I started fooling around on MSpaint and this is what I managed with my limited skills. Inspired by the super duke..tell me what u guys think...Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-58468_200_duke_2012_studio_2953.jpg  

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-ktmduke200exportversion.jpg  

nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 21:04   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Hello all my duke should be here next week. But I find the paint scheme a bit too loud for my liking, so I started fooling around on MSpaint and this is what I managed with my limited skills. Inspired by the super duke..tell me what u guys think...Cheers.
I second your thought. I won't want to buy a duke only because of its flamboyant color and sticker job. Too loud for my taste. But if you manage to get this done, (edited) black looks classy and a serious bike.

You got me thinking again in Duke's favour
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote