Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd September 2012, 11:20   #436
BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
But all of the above pales into insignificance when you find even a little breathing space in the traffic, some empty road, and let her rip. Man this baby moves! Love the riding position. Love the clutch. Love the gearbox. Love her growl with each blip and downshift. Love power-shifting her from one green light to the next red. Street hooligan ..... yesssar, three bags full saar!
This is exactly how i felt yesterday when I went to TD the bike. Made me feel 18 again. Or rather awoke the reckless teenager in me. This bike is not just a hooligan but encourages you to give it company in its hooliganism. Now i feel like having a midlife/quarterlife crisis.

The TD was scary as hell. Why dont they use the Apache tag line "Scarily fast" for this bike? Its like the rides in amusement parks. Those roller coasters, 360 degree turns and pendulums, which are damn scary but the harnesses keep you safe. Felt the same with the Duke. Once you twist the throttle and give it a go, it just doesnt stop. I was shouting and laughing and scared at the same time. Braked wonderfully from 3 digit speeds when I hit an open patch of road but was scary at first as I wasnt able to find the rear brake lever easily so hit the front brakes.

My god, what a beast it is. There is no domesticating this thing. One would be a fool to try taming it. Rather enjoy its wildness and let the "Junglee Jaanwar" in you alive.

Now Im caught in the stupid deciding phase. Mind says R15 (due to its less scary attitude), Heart begs for the Duke. Funny thing is everytime I think about the Duke TD, I just keep laughing and giggling even though I was scared during the TD. Never had this much fun till now on any bike. The way it pulls you from 0 to 100 with all the fireworks is just amazing. And this thing never just runs out of breath does it?

Only problem was stalling. Twice it switched off while idling at the signal. And wasnt starting at all. Had to turn on and off the ignition switch, wait for the MID to finish its pre flight check and then could I go. Lots of honking were heard in the background, but left them in a split second once the beast came back to life. Is this a recurrent problem in current generation bikes also?

I was also able to reach the brake lever after a few tries. Will i be able to adjust to it as I ride? I dont want to do any mods to this bike and would like to keep it stock setup from day 1.

Is the chain slack issue resolved in the newer models or continues to exist?

How is the Khivraj Service here in Bangalore? Is it as dedicated as Doc's ASC in Pune? Are they able to resolve the issues effortlessly?

Would like to thank you doc, for this wonderful thread which introduced me to the Duke, without which I wouldnt have even considered it. Im sure the way you have maintained this thread meticulously, many would've benefited from here.

Hope to join the league of Dukes soon
Parthasarathig is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:51   #437
Senior - BHPian

Thanks bro. (had a batch-mate who shared your name - are you an army doc? )

You will get used to the rear brake pedal. Maybe adjust the position a tad.

The chain slack issue has been aggressively addressed by Bajaj-KTM. Its not an issue for me anymore.

As for Bangalore and ASC's, with Venkat around, you guys are actually lucky to have someone with his experience, knowledge, and passion as a biker himself.

Glad this thread has inspired you. Its closing on to 100,000 views too. Get the Duke!

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd September 2012 at 14:52.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:53   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The chain slack issue has been aggressively addressed by Bajaj-KTM. Its not an issue for me anymore.
What is the solution they provided for this ? How often does the chain gets loose before and after solution ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:56   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bro. (had a batch-mate who shared your name - are you an army doc?
Haha- army doc I wish I was. Im in my final year actually sir.

Quote:
You will get used to the rear brake pedal. Maybe adjust the position a tad.

Good to hear about the chain slack issues being addressed. Also hoping that the water in MID issue is solved. Was also reading about Fork oil leak or breakage issues. Will the replacements of any of these parts be covered under warranty? I really want to enjoy the bike without worrying.

Quite a lot of bikes are waiting at the KTM Bangalore showroom. Do you suggest to purchase from this lot, or are there any updates coming in the next lot with respect to the issues? Even though waiting for it is irresistible, I can console myself with the fact that the bike I'd receive would be relatively niggle free than the current lot.

Quote:
As for Bangalore and ASC's, with Venkat around, you guys are actually lucky to have someone with his experience, knowledge, and passion as a biker himself.
Yes I should meet up with him. The dedication Bajaj is showing towards each product is amazing. I tested the R15 also, but the showroom folks lacked the enthusiasm to sell it. I couldnt express myself freely there. However I was jumping around like a crazy man after riding the Duke. And Farhan, who was the SE for me, was pretty enthusiastic about selling me the bike.

This was my first visit to the PBK showroom and I am truly impressed. Bajaj and Mahindra - both the showrooms were of very high standards with dedicated, knowledgeable and passionate staff, unlike others who show a lackadaisical attitude and hardly show any interest in selling the product. Hats off to the two companies who are bringing up Indian standards in the field of both cars and bikes.

Quote:
Glad this thread has inspired you. Its closing on to 100,000 views too. Get the Duke!
Sir, your thread is like the go-to bible for any issue related to Duke. I only wish you'd put up some more photos of the wild beauty (after a few days that wont matter once I get my hands on one This is one photogenic bike. In none of the pictures Ive seen till now does it look bad at all. Its stunning from every angle.

However I'd like to re-iterate to everyone viewing my post - reading about the Duke in this thread, or other forums or magazines is nothing compared to what you feel when you finally take a TD. Your entire view of the world turns upside down. Mine did and I wish I had brought it home with me that day.

Regards.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 3rd September 2012 at 16:57. Reason: Removed smileys from quotes
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:48   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Partha - FYI - Venkat is not associated with Khivraj service but has his own service center and his is the top notch service center for the Bajaj range of vehicles! If you are in Bangalore and own a Bajaj product - rest assured Venkat and his team will take care of the rest!

Mods: I have no commercial gain in making the above statement. I have had Bajaj bikes (RTZ, Wind 125, Boxer CT 100 and now the Duke 200) all the while and I have been utilizing their services for a long time now. This is only to reassure people out here that efficient service is available for Bajaj Bikes.

Go for Duke buddy! or wanna wait for the 690? ;-)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:13   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
What is the solution they provided for this ? How often does the chain gets loose before and after solution ?
We are trying out a modified chain guide + the chain slack old school setting I described earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Haha- army doc I wish I was. Im in my final year actually sir.
Oh ok then - "Doc" will do bro!

Quote:
Good to hear about the chain slack issues being addressed.
I am happy.

Quote:
Also hoping that the water in MID issue is solved.
Not yet. What have you heard?

Quote:
Was also reading about Fork oil leak or breakage issues. Will the replacements of any of these parts be covered under warranty? I really want to enjoy the bike without worrying.
Yes there have been reports and cases of seal failure. Rest assured, Bajaj is looking into it. Of course everything is covered in warranty. Unless you bang it or drop it or otherwise grossly abuse it that is.

Quote:
Quite a lot of bikes are waiting at the KTM Bangalore showroom. Do you suggest to purchase from this lot, or are there any updates coming in the next lot with respect to the issues? Even though waiting for it is irresistible, I can console myself with the fact that the bike I'd receive would be relatively niggle free than the current lot.
This is their premium bike. Duke owners are the new ASC superstars. Pick up any piee and ride. Bajaj wil take care of the rest - upgrades etc. As far as I know, nothing major planned from the current lots. Minor issues like rear spring peeling, beefier chain guide, condensation in MID and indicators, etc.

Quote:
Sir, your thread is like the go-to bible for any issue related to Duke. I only wish you'd put up some more photos of the wild beauty (after a few days that wont matter once I get my hands on one This is one photogenic bike. In none of the pictures Ive seen till now does it look bad at all. Its stunning from every angle.

However I'd like to re-iterate to everyone viewing my post - reading about the Duke in this thread, or other forums or magazines is nothing compared to what you feel when you finally take a TD. Your entire view of the world turns upside down. Mine did and I wish I had brought it home with me that day.

Regards.
Thanks for the kind words man. She is a beauty - at standstill and in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Partha - FYI - Venkat is not associated with Khivraj service but has his own service center and his is the top notch service center for the Bajaj range of vehicles! If you are in Bangalore and own a Bajaj product - rest assured Venkat and his team will take care of the rest!

Mods: I have no commercial gain in making the above statement. I have had Bajaj bikes (RTZ, Wind 125, Boxer CT 100 and now the Duke 200) all the while and I have been utilizing their services for a long time now. This is only to reassure people out here that efficient service is available for Bajaj Bikes.

Go for Duke buddy! or wanna wait for the 690? ;-)
Same disclaimer for me too. Venkat is a close friend and we go way back. That's all.

No 690 Shubz. Read my feedback on the Ruor thread.
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:01   #442
BHPian

Talking Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Does he take care of KTM service also? I love service centres where the staff love your ride as much as you do.

Quote:
Go for Duke buddy! or wanna wait for the 690?
Im going for the Duke200 as 690 would be out of budget. But Im not saying that I wont TD the 690 as soon as it arrives

Quote:
We are trying out a modified chain guide + the chain slack old school setting I described earlier in this thread.
Also the one terryv mentioned about the fuel leakage solution. That could also be tried. Probably after I have the beauty in my hands.

What about the mods your friend Dr. Praveen made to the air intake before the goa ride iirc? Is bajaj planning to implement that in production line?

Quote:
Not yet. What have you heard?
I did read here maybe or in other threads, that a new MID cluster with better water shielding capacity maybe coming. Thats why in two minds whether to wait or to buy it right now? As the bikes are temptingly available for sale without any wait period. Uff Bajaj you make everything so irresistible.

Quote:
Yes there have been reports and cases of seal failure. Rest assured, Bajaj is looking into it. Of course everything is covered in warranty. Unless you bang it or drop it or otherwise grossly abuse it that is.
If seal failure happens, will the bike be unusable till repaired or can it limp to the service centre atleast.

Quote:
This is their premium bike. Duke owners are the new ASC superstars. Pick up any piee and ride. Bajaj wil take care of the rest - upgrades etc. As far as I know, nothing major planned from the current lots. Minor issues like rear spring peeling, beefier chain guide, condensation in MID and indicators, etc.
Will these be addressed for the customers who have already purchased the bike? Issues like the rear spring peeling and chain guide? Or is it only for customers who are going to buy? I just want my bike to have the latest updates so that she and I can enjoy our rides without much worry. I really loved the TD. The bike was well maintained and she performed flawlessly.

One thing ive not able to stop telling myself is "LED Indicators - wow". Bit childish on my part to look at such non significant things, but thats what the Duke makes me feel. Back to childhood.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words man. She is a beauty - at standstill and in motion.
One question for you Doc, which Ive asked @Shubz also. How well does your zygomaticus and orbicularis oris cope with the Duke's ability to bring a wide grin on your face every ride? I was tired with the amount I smiled that entire day. If TBHP wasnt moderated, Id have probably spammed every thread with "I love the Duke."

In fact, my mom felt I had gone bonkers after the TD. She was like you were so calm when you left for the TD, what made you "Pagol"? I just couldnt stop grinning. How does the Duke do it? Not even one bike has made me do that till now. And Ive tried all Indian bikes in the market.

Bajaj, if you guys are reading this post, Helmets off to you for bringing in such a world class product. Im still grinning sheepishly as I write this. Grinning hasnt stopped. Still grinning. Please pardon my childishness. Still grinning. Cant stop.
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:08   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does he take care of KTM service also? I love service centres where the staff love your ride as much as you do.
Yes. He takes care of KTM service too. His engineers are trained. Auto Service Banashankari is the Authorized Bajaj service center (I wish they did sales too)

And Ninja! And Pulsar! and anything that has Bajaj branded on it (bikes I meant - don't take a Bajaj Fan to him now .. lol)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:22   #444
Senior - BHPian

Partha if there is one thing I have learned after owning close to 10 bikes at one time or the other over the past 20 years of riding, it is that you go with what brings the widest grin to your face under the helmet.

I had that feeling when I first saw and then rode my KB100 RTZ.

Had the same feeling when I first rode my std 500.

Same feeling when I first rode my Duke.

I also have this small idiosyncrasy.

I never test ride any bike I am serious about owning.

The first ride is the one on the bike I buy.

Never been disappointed till now.

I also never start whacking the throttle lie a mad man in the first few kms or even couple of days. Get used to the bike and let the bike get used to you.

Now for your issues (pardon me for not split quoting as its too teious).

The petrol issue Shubz has answered. I forwarded Tery's petrol post to the boffins. They will look into it.

The coolant will boil and bubble over if your radiator fan stops working. Happened to me once. Otherwise it may simply be a leakage, dislodgement of pipes, or overfilling.

On the air snorkel mod, I have the old one with me, and have fitted a stock new one. Too much dust in India to take a risk, and the dyno actually showed 1 kmph more with the snorkel than with the cut one. But to be fair, she revs out so much better with the cut one. Fast and direct to the limiter in each gear, effortlessly. Not that with the snorkel, its much slower on the revs - but yes, the difference can be felt.

The MID and indicators misting should not happen. Period. If they do, something is not right and Bajaj will lok into it and are looking into it.

That's what Warranty Period is for. You should ride with peace of mind that is guaranteed by the company when you pay for the product. If it goes bad, they change it. And learn from each case and improve future lots through that. That's how it works.

In my mind at least you are over splitting very fine hairs. Any other bike will now be a compromise.

Let us know when you've booked the Duke.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd September 2012 at 19:24.
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:57   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Braked wonderfully from 3 digit speeds when I hit an open patch of road but was scary at first as I wasnt able to find the rear brake lever easily so hit the front brakes.
The first thing which I always do when I ride any different bike(other than my own) is to feel the brake and then the gears. I too test rode the KTM taking turns with both my kids one at a time of course. It is a very very easy to handle bike with lots of power, riding stance is good, no need to slouch unlike the CBR (yet to test ride). But, I felt the gears are too close and there is no real feel of shifting gears except from 1 to 2 and maybe 3. The brake lever is exactly the same as the gear lever, I got used to it immediately, no problems there. And the bike feels very light, much uncharacteristic of a 200cc bike. Loved the exhaust, difficult to spot it, unless one looks for it. Of course the growl is fantastic, turns heads more than it's looks 'cos it looks just like an Apcahe etc for a dude on the road.
1.25L on road here in Pondicherry is a HUGE temptation.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 02:17   #446
BHPian

Smile Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Yes. He takes care of KTM service too. His engineers are trained. Auto Service Banashankari is the Authorized Bajaj service center (I wish they did sales too)

And Ninja! And Pulsar! and anything that has Bajaj branded on it (bikes I meant - don't take a Bajaj Fan to him now .. lol)
Oh yes Ive read and heard about Auto Service BSK. Need to visit them for the paint protection and stuff.

Quote:
Partha if there is one thing I have learned after owning close to 10 bikes at one time or the other over the past 20 years of riding, it is that you go with what brings the widest grin to your face under the helmet.

I had that feeling when I first saw and then rode my KB100 RTZ.

Had the same feeling when I first rode my std 500.

Same feeling when I first rode my Duke.

I also have this small idiosyncrasy.
The Duke does make me grin like a mad man. Reminds me of the joker's lines from the dark knight- "you wanna know how I got these scars"- the Duke gave 'em to me so that I keep smiling forever.

Quote:
I also never start whacking the throttle lie a mad man in the first few kms or even couple of days. Get used to the bike and let the bike get used to you.
Im 100% with you on this. For me running in is a must no matter how latest the engine is. Many call me old fashioned, but this has never let me down and I follow it to the T.

Now for your issues (pardon me for not split quoting as its too teious).

Quote:
The petrol issue Shubz has answered. I forwarded Tery's petrol post to the boffins. They will look into it.
*Fingers crossed* for an update on the tank. However they don't have the KTM powerparts 18litre tank. PBK guys tell me that it isnt meant for India yet. Would've been fantastic for touring purpose though. Thats a confirmed mod for my bike if and when its available.

Quote:
The coolant will boil and bubble over if your radiator fan stops working. Happened to me once. Otherwise it may simply be a leakage, dislodgement of pipes, or overfilling.
How did you solve the issue when the fan stopped working? Is it the same issue that you mentioned in the thread, wherein a cable was disconnected? How did you get back home without the radiator working?

Quote:
On the air snorkel mod, I have the old one with me, and have fitted a stock new one. Too much dust in India to take a risk, and the dyno actually showed 1 kmph more with the snorkel than with the cut one. But to be fair, she revs out so much better with the cut one. Fast and direct to the limiter in each gear, effortlessly. Not that with the snorkel, its much slower on the revs - but yes, the difference can be felt.
This has to be left to the pros and uber enthusiasts. For a newbie like me, such mods will take some time unless Bajaj can make it easily available at their ASCs. But the stock bike also feels great.

Quote:
The MID and indicators misting should not happen. Period. If they do, something is not right and Bajaj will lok into it and are looking into it.
Probably this wont affect the people riding in Bangalore climate. @Shubz would be able to give me an insight into this. Did not know about the indicators misting however. But the rains are clearing up and I'll atleast have a few months of rain free riding.

Quote:
That's what Warranty Period is for. You should ride with peace of mind that is guaranteed by the company when you pay for the product. If it goes bad, they change it. And learn from each case and improve future lots through that. That's how it works.
The fear of being stranded on a lonely highway in the middle of nowhere is kinda scary. Has happened to me a few times in my car. Will probably acquire more technical knowledge of the Duke so that I can do basic roadside diagnostics.

Quote:
In my mind at least you are over splitting very fine hairs. Any other bike will now be a compromise.
Thankfully the battle over Mind v/s Heart is over.

Quote:
Let us know when you've booked the Duke.
[/quote]

Definitely. Will also put up an ownership thread subsequently. Ive already thought of the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The first thing which I always do when I ride any different bike(other than my own) is to feel the brake and then the gears. I too test rode the KTM taking turns with both my kids one at a time of course. It is a very very easy to handle bike with lots of power, riding stance is good, no need to slouch unlike the CBR (yet to test ride). But, I felt the gears are too close and there is no real feel of shifting gears except from 1 to 2 and maybe 3. The brake lever is exactly the same as the gear lever, I got used to it immediately, no problems there. And the bike feels very light, much uncharacteristic of a 200cc bike. Loved the exhaust, difficult to spot it, unless one looks for it. Of course the growl is fantastic, turns heads more than it's looks 'cos it looks just like an Apcahe etc for a dude on the road.
1.25L on road here in Pondicherry is a HUGE temptation.
1,25L?? Wow. I wish I could've bought this bike in Pondicherry and then rode it all the way to Bangy. But thats a great price.

Yes the Duke is amazingly light. The mass centralisation is mind boggling and that trellis frame. The bike never felt out of control irrespective of the scarily fast feeling. One tap on the brakes and she would glide to a graceful stop.

You and I are among the very few that love the exhaust of the Duke. I wouldnt even modify the stock one.

Ride safe.

P.S. to emphasise how gorgeous the Duke is, I feel I should post this travelogue from another forum. See for yourself friends.

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...dakh-solo.html
Old 4th September 2012, 09:52   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You and I are among the very few that love the exhaust of the Duke. I wouldnt even modify the stock one.
I don't know where you got that idea from.

Most of us freak out on the exhaust note of the Duke - especially the way it rises and does not get muted above a certain harmonic.

It was one of the first things I checked for when I first saw the Duke in the flesh in early February.

That and how it felt with me sitting on it.

The exhaust is a serious piece of tech. I would never change it for an after-market can.
Old 4th September 2012, 14:26   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

I don't know where you got that idea from.

Most of us freak out on the exhaust note of the Duke - especially the way it rises and does not get muted above a certain harmonic.

That and how it felt with me sitting on it.

The exhaust is a serious piece of tech. I would never change it for an after-market can.
So much for the craze of Akrapovic exhausts.

On many forums people complained about the Duke's exhaust note. For me, its music to the ears. For a bike at 1.4laks the Duke is a complete package. Seeing a few more dukes around my residence lately. The more the better especially the orange color may attract unwanted souls.

On another note, Doc, are civilians allowed to buy those infantry boots from the CSD? You seem to have a good opinion of them and I was thinking if its possible to go for it. Looks like ive to visit the safety gear thread now.

Ride safe!!!
Old 4th September 2012, 15:52   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So much for the craze of Akrapovic exhausts.

On many forums people complained about the Duke's exhaust note. For me, its music to the ears. For a bike at 1.4laks the Duke is a complete package. Seeing a few more dukes around my residence lately. The more the better especially the orange color may attract unwanted souls.

On another note, Doc, are civilians allowed to buy those infantry boots from the CSD? You seem to have a good opinion of them and I was thinking if its possible to go for it. Looks like ive to visit the safety gear thread now.

Ride safe!!!
I'd rather save the money on the Akra, add it to what I get for the 200, and get the 350 instead.

Yes bro, anyone can buy DMS boots. I swear by them. For riding as well as trekking.
Old 4th September 2012, 17:30   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Sam,
Regarding the drill,tank topic. As long as you are going to a Service station, let them do it the way they want to or know to. God forbid your tank cracks if you do not allow them to do what they know, you will be on your own.
Update after second service:
Got the fuel filter changed (cost of filter INR.84), the holes for the tank cover were made bigger while fitting back.
Had complained about little vibes on the foot pegs, the nuts holding the foot peg assembly to the frame where tightened the issue still remains.

@doc/kapil/Shubz: Did any one of you faced the vibes from the foot pegs, if yes how was it resolved?
samschenker is offline   Reply With Quote