Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th October 2012, 10:25   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce
You could buy riding pants with that jelly-like padding at the back. I had the same issue initially but now I am completely used to it.
Please do redline the bike sometimes - he'll be depressed if you don't let him enjoy himself occasionally
Hi Niranjan, which riding pants are these? Are they the armored ones or the bicycle riding pants? By "used to" do you mean you are using these pants or used to the default seat?
To say the truth im scared of the redline performance of the orange monster. The only time i redlined the bike was the demo bike during the test ride and god it was scary. After the run in, will it be ok if we redline the bike almost every instance we get?

Quote:
I rode nonstop to chikmagalur (mulliyangiri) and back. Wanted to complete the 1000km run in a max of 2 days. No issues whatsoever. Don't worry about the temp bars as long as they don't go into the top 2
Oh nice. Now you've given me the destination for my next trip. Actually a senior colleague and I bought the bikes at the same time without knowing of each others decisions. His bike got delivered a bit later. But now we've two bikes and we are ready to race>>.

Is chikmagalur very far? Can we do this in one day? Like riding and back? How are the roads? Is it safe?

Also the chain needs to be lubed and cleaned every 500kms. If we get it done at the SVC how fast do they return the bike after the chain cleaning? What product do you used for cleaning and lubing? And did you service the chain during your chikmagalur trip?

Quote:
I can't wait for the 390 to arrive. .
Arrgh!! I just bought the 200 and now the 390 is arriving. Why oh why does this happen to me always? :frustrati: Anyways for me the Triumph street triple is next. If they intro the bike at a great price.

Cheers. Ride safe!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 26th October 2012 at 10:35.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 11:26   #557
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Partha, Niranjan, glad you've enjoyed the thread and its played its role in Duking you.

Yeah, the DMS boots are really nice, but once you wear proper riding boots, your DMS are then relegated to trekking duty. Of course, you could buy 20 pairs of DMSs for the price of any half decent riding boots.

About riding the bike on tour, if you go to the begining of this thread you will see that we put Baby Duke 222 through her paces to Goa and back when she was just 200 kms old. She got her first service in Goa. Came back with 1700 on the clock.

And she was not babied during those 1500 kms .....

And is running strong now touch wood.

Just keep an eye on the temperature and stop every 30-45 minutes for a break.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 18:46   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yeah, the DMS boots are really nice, but once you wear proper riding boots, your DMS are then relegated to trekking duty. Of course, you could buy 20 pairs of DMSs for the price of any half decent riding boots.
Hi ebonho,
Though off topic here, but I am currently looking for various options of shoes. Can you give more details about the DMS shoes or share the link which would have details and the process to buy them?
NitinMakhija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 19:26   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinMakhija View Post
Hi ebonho,
Though off topic here, but I am currently looking for various options of shoes. Can you give more details about the DMS shoes or share the link which would have details and the process to buy them?
You are from Pune, so its easier.

Go to MG Road. Go into Kolsa Gulli (lots of photo frame shops).

Ask for Makatee (army surplus store) - its on the right when you enter Kolsa Gulli from MG Road side.

Ask for DMS boots. Buy the best quality they have (500+ should be the price).

Flex was the gold standard, but since you do not get those anymore, ask him (there are two brothers - short on social niceties and patience) for the closest alternative.

DO NOT BUY the fancier "civilian" equivalents with padding etc.

These are what they look like:

Name:  dms202.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  large.jpg
Views: 2684
Size:  43.7 KB

Of course they come in Black (Army) as well as Tan (BSF) - the Tan is very rare and difficult to get. Black is always there.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 19:41   #560
BHPian

Another alternate to the riding boots is from Orazo. Check out their website, www.orazosafety.com for details. I own a pair of Coot from their range for the past 1.5 years and happy about the performance.
unk9ja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 19:48   #561
BHPian

Quote:
You are from Pune, so its easier.

=======
Of course they come in Black (Army) as well as Tan (BSF) - the Tan is very rare and difficult to get. Black is always there.
Thanks, do they provide any kind of protection (Metal/ padding) on Heel, Ankle & Forefoot? Safety is the primary factor & money is the next one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Another alternate to the riding boots is from Orazo. Check out their website, www.orazosafety.com for details. I own a pair of Coot from their range for the past 1.5 years and happy about the performance.
Same question, do they provide any kind of protection? Could not find the details on the website
Old 27th October 2012, 00:15   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Are they the armored ones or the bicycle riding pants?
To say the truth im scared of the redline performance of the orange monster. After the run in, will it be ok if we redline the bike almost every instance we get?
I just got used to the hard seats I would recommend the armored ones though - search for ones with back padding and you should be good.
I redline all the time and have had no problems till date. In fact, I redline my 4 wheeled ones all the time too. Most modern engines take that happily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Is chikmagalur very far? Can we do this in one day? Like riding and back? How are the roads? Is it safe?
And did you service the chain during your chikmagalur trip?
Chikmagalur is a 600 km round trip - can be done easily in a day. The roads are fantastic throughout. You just lube the chain before you go and come back and lube again. Ask for the chain spray (costs 500 if I remember correctly) at the KTM service center. You can do this yourself and don't need to depend on them.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 11:24   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, do they provide any kind of protection (Metal/ padding) on Heel, Ankle & Forefoot? Safety is the primary factor & money is the next one!
Nitin these ankle length boots cost 500 odd bucks.

You do not get normal leather school shoes for kids in Bata for 500 bucks anymore.

Forget leather shoes, even my kids rubber chappals (fancy name = Crocs) cost more.

That perspective asid, these are made with the thickest full grain buffalo hide (2 mm+ thick). Have heel/achilles as well as toe protection, can be laced up to the top, and have a one piece tongue sewn along the sides to form a leather sock around your feet - so that no water gets through while riding through even semi deep puddles.

There is nothing this side of 5000 bucks in the market today which comes remotely close to these boots.

And they last LONG.

I have a pair from 2004 which is still not worn out the sole, and the upper is still not holed. My newer 2008 pair is pristine in comparison (I now use it for trekking).
Old 27th October 2012, 16:06   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ask for DMS boots.

I got a pair of these today here in Meerut which is a big army cantonment btw-

Name:  Army Shoe DMS.jpg
Views: 3421
Size:  445.0 KB

Name:  Army Shoe DMS 1.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  344.7 KB

Size 10 for just 400 bucks. Size 11 was 500/-. Tan were also available for 650/- but they were a bizarre orangish colour rather than brown tan.

Thanks for advising these shoes ebonho. Full leather, steel tipped and looks like they could survive a nuclear holocaust. Sitting right under my nose for so many years and I wasn't even aware.

Last edited by dkaile : 27th October 2012 at 16:08.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 16:40   #565
Senior - BHPian

I belong to a generation that never had proper biking gear in my early college biking days.

Leather jackets if you were rich, otherwise denim jackets. Helmets. The winter gloves you get on the roadside. And DMS boots.

With Duckback raincoats when it rained.

Specialized gear came much later.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 16:53   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Nitin these ankle length boots cost 500 odd bucks.

You do not get normal leather school shoes for kids in Bata for 500 bucks anymore.

Forget leather shoes, even my kids rubber chappals (fancy name = Crocs) cost more.

That perspective asid, these are made with the thickest full grain buffalo hide (2 mm+ thick). Have heel/achilles as well as toe protection, can be laced up to the top, and have a one piece tongue sewn along the sides to form a leather sock around your feet - so that no water gets through while riding through even semi deep puddles.

There is nothing this side of 5000 bucks in the market today which comes remotely close to these boots.

And they last LONG.

I have a pair from 2004 which is still not worn out the sole, and the upper is still not holed. My newer 2008 pair is pristine in comparison (I now use it for trekking).
Thanks Again ,
Went to the shop you had recommended.
Tried a couple of DMS shoes but the fitting was not good.
Ended up buying A*s SMX 5 from DSG.
Had the fitting not been an issue, I would have bought the DMS.
Old 27th October 2012, 23:59   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Again ,
Went to the shop you had recommended.
Tried a couple of DMS shoes but the fitting was not good.
Ended up buying A*s SMX 5 from DSG.
Had the fitting not been an issue, I would have bought the DMS.
I hope you tried different sizes, unless you're BigFoot !
Jokes aside - they have size 8-9 in stock , not sure if bigger than that is available. I have been using DMS' since 2004, on my 2nd and 3rd pair now, they can be uncomfortable at first, but once bedded in , you'll hardly notice.
Find the right size, buy it and if the fitting hurts, use coconut oil or any hair oil liberally on the insides to soften the leather, and wear thick cotton socks to resist chafing. I did get ankle cuts/chafing at first, before I was told of the oil trick. Once worn in, they're surprisingly comfortable too. I even wore out my 1st pair playing basketball in them. They get wet , no problem , dry them out thoroughly and they'll go on for long even after several soakings.

Last edited by Ricci : 28th October 2012 at 00:00.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 19:07   #568
BHPian

Quote:

Same question, do they provide any kind of protection? Could not find the details on the website
Definitely, check out the highlights corner on their website - home section (With a sectioned boot and red dots on the highlights) They offer metal toe on all the range and EVA plate for ankle protection for some of their shoes.
These shoes have been used extensively by the X-Bhpians on some of their rides as Orazo were their riding partner and their experience can be checked in their website/ magazines.

Last edited by unk9ja : 28th October 2012 at 19:09. Reason: Additional information added
unk9ja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 19:27   #569
BHPian

Just a note: Rode the duke from Thane-Belgaum-Thane, about 1100 kms this past Id weekend. The ghats were awesome fun, was able to keep an average speed of 88kmph including ghats,traffic and flat-straight stretches on NH4. Took me ~7 hours each way, and 3 full tanks of fuel, approximately 23kmpl.
The bike was rock solid all the way, and only post Satara, where the roads are simply flat straight and empty did I feel the need for a bigger bike capable of cruising in the 130-165 kmph range. I could keep it between 110 and 125 for those stretches, but it wasn't effortless.

Picked up saddlebags from dirtsack.in (speedbags) and they fit very well. pics soon. The only issue I faced was right wrist pain. Keeping it pegged at WOT for long periods of time, and the greater range of motion of the duke's throttle are not ideal for this I guess. Few more rides, and my wrist will get stronger

The seat was surprisingly comfy for the 7 hour stretch.

The coolant level stayed constant throughout, and even with high speed riding in the afternoon, the temp gauge stayed at about 7-8 bars.

All in all, I just love the Duke. Though it is definitely more suitable for the twisties and the track. On the open highway, I want something bigger.

Sriku
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 20:14   #570
Senior - BHPian

Sriku, get a throttle rocker (Google for it - very simple and pretty effective). It helps.

If anything, lots of ghats gives me arm pump on the left sometimes.