Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th October 2012, 21:39   #571
BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Took the Duke for a small ride to Mysore, felt some vibrations after 6k rpm, was waiting for the rush as doc mentioned, but gave up the idea till the run-in is done. Doc, are the vibrations normal?

Done with the runin worries for now, been red lining on lower gears in the city (whenever I get the oppourtunity). My tbird ridden by a close friend was not too far behind
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-duke.jpg  

Surajit333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 21:45   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post

Picked up saddlebags from dirtsack.in (speedbags) and they fit very well. pics soon.
Sriku
Hi Sriku, please post the pics and if possible please also let us know how it fares on the rides, the dirtsack has been on my buy list. I have been using cramsters on my enfield for 7 years now, been extremely reliable and tough.
Old 31st October 2012, 13:05   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Took the Duke for a small ride to Mysore, felt some vibrations after 6k rpm, was waiting for the rush as doc mentioned, but gave up the idea till the run-in is done. Doc, are the vibrations normal?

Done with the runin worries for now, been red lining on lower gears in the city (whenever I get the oppourtunity). My tbird ridden by a close friend was not too far behind
There is a HUGE difference between the way first lot KTMs accelerate and the new ones do.

No, vibrations are not normal. Everything is smooth and vibe-less.

Dont know if you get vibrations based on harmonics at a certain rpm., because quite simply I never wait at any rpm. Its always one big handful of throttle grabbed and wrung till the red light goes steady (9500 rpm) and shift.

And repeat.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 13:34   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

There is a HUGE difference between the way first lot KTMs accelerate and the new ones do.

No, vibrations are not normal. Everything is smooth and vibe-less.

Dont know if you get vibrations based on harmonics at a certain rpm., because quite simply I never wait at any rpm. Its always one big handful of throttle grabbed and wrung till the red light goes steady (9500 rpm) and shift.

And repeat.
Huge difference in what way? Can you elaborate?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 13:44   #575
Senior - BHPian

The older ones are more brutal.

And the revs rise much quicker.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 13:51   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The older ones are more brutal.

And the revs rise much quicker.
Doc, why is the difference? What changes have they done from the first lot? Brutal sounds much better
Old 31st October 2012, 13:54   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, why is the difference? What changes have they done from the first lot? Brutal sounds much better
The new ones have a 42 teeth rear sprocket.

They also have a modified map to take care of some older issues.

Like jerkiness and stalling.

This is now stock from the factory.
Old 31st October 2012, 16:24   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sriku, please post the pics and if possible please also let us know how it fares on the rides, the dirtsack has been on my buy list. I have been using cramsters on my enfield for 7 years now, been extremely reliable and tough.
Surajit, the speedbags are meant for bikes with upswept exhausts. They also have larger capacity saddlebags for bikes with regular straight exhausts (like bullets). So unless you ride the newer classics with upswept pipes, I suggest you look at the other variety and not the speedbags. I usually mount the bags on a soft cloth so they do not scrub the paint/stickers off the side panels, grab rails etc.

The dirtsack speedbags pros:
1. excellent quality straps and buckles. Long and adjustable straps.
2. Good rugged material used for the bags.
3. Sufficient capacity
4. Zero effort to mount/ unmount.
5. No wobbling at speeds, they remain firmly attached.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img_20121026_085649.jpg  

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img_20121026_085655.jpg  

sriku is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 11:45   #579
BHPian

Hi Sriku,

Thanks for your reply, I think I am sold. Also congrats on soon-to-be-yours Ninja 650, I was in the waiting too, somehow couldn't gather the greenbacks and also god made it only in green , so bought the Duke instead. I am thrilled with the decision. In case you still have the duke, please treat us with a smallish write up on living with both of them. Thanks again for the pics.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:31   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sriku,

Thanks for your reply, I think I am sold. Also congrats on soon-to-be-yours Ninja 650, I was in the waiting too, somehow couldn't gather the greenbacks and also god made it only in green , so bought the Duke instead. I am thrilled with the decision. In case you still have the duke, please treat us with a smallish write up on living with both of them. Thanks again for the pics.
Hey Surajit, I still have the Duke, it remains my primary commuter. The Ninja is arriving only this weekend, will put up some pics and a ride report (Belgaum-Thane) soon.
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 18:47   #581
Senior - BHPian

I am a little surprised.

I was having a chat with some of my Bullet buddies whom I bumped into the other night out on a ride when I stopped over at Ruby Hall for chai.

They all love the 200.

But they are all waiting for the 390.

Reason?

The 200 is overpriced (for "just" 200 cc).

The engine is "small" and does not have "enough power."

Needless to say, the bike is "small" and looks too "dainty."

Most of these guys are built like me (6 footers, 95-100 kilos).

Most of them now ride the Classic 500.

I just wanted to hear your views on the same so thought I'd post.

Especially the part about the bike being "overpriced."

Is it because there has been a creep from 1.3 lacs OTR to over 1.5 lacs in less than a year?

Waiting to hear from you.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 19:08   #582
BHPian

Doc, some comments inline. Though I am not surprised at the reaction from bullet guys( I'm one myself). I am 6'1 in boots, 120 kilos, and ride a Std. 350, Rx-135 and the Duke.

Quote:
I am a little surprised.

I was having a chat with some of my Bullet buddies whom I bumped into the other night out on a ride when I stopped over at Ruby Hall for chai.

They all love the 200.
What's not to love!

Greed is good if it is for cm-cubed.
Reason?

-Ask them to Name one other motorcycle at the same price point with the same or better kit/power delivery/build quality. The definition of overpriced would be the CBR150R, ZMR and the R15 in my book. The 200NS shows what price points are possible for spectacular levels of kit/performance. The consumer now knows that how much a manufacturer can fit into a 1lakh bike, any less, and there must be significant factors, mostly emotional/persona/prejudicial to choose a bike that does not give enough for the dough.

25 bhp in a < 140 kilo package is more than enough power for the street. The Duke has more usable power than a Classic 500, because the rubber is grippier, the handling is much sharper and confident, and the suspension actually works with the rider and not against him.

That is subjective, to a bullet guy, everything else is small unless it is a hyperbike or a Hog. I used to think this until I rode a Karizma. Felt bigger and faster. Especially with stage 2 cams, better clutch springs, rebored cylinder, free flow muffler and a better filter component.

Not entirely coincidental they(we) all ride bullets!
I wanted one, but could not convince myself that it was enough kit/reliability/stability for the money and wait period.

Is it because there has been a creep from 1.3 lacs OTR to over 1.5 lacs in less than a year?

There is always a perception one makes about a bike. It is incredibly easy to make suppositions about performance and power, before actually riding it. In all honesty, I can possibly extract 65-70% of the maximum capacity of the Duke in any circuit (Except long boring top-speed straightaways). In most cases, the bike can do much more but is limited to rider skill, environmental conditions etc. I have learnt from experience that the quickest bike for me to get to work is still the Rx-135, simply because it is navigable, flickable in traffic and much easier to thrash. The Bullet on the other hand is langurous, ponderous even in comparison, which I believe is what it was built to be. Different strokes for different folks is what it comes down to. The Duke gives a taste of what a proper street bike should be capable of. As a package, it offers so much more than most other bikes in the same price point. On the track it is spectacular. On the road it is superb. On the highways, it may not be powerful enough. But it is a bike built for a specific purpose. That purpose being to be quick, flickable and loud. It is not adequate for all purposes, but it excels in ITS purpose. It is a special tool for a particular job, if that job is not what the rider has in mind, he must get a different tool.
sriku is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 19:20   #583
BHPian

Quote:
I am a little surprised.

They all love the 200.

Reason?

Hi Doc,
Not Just your friends, My friends who won REs also think this is a puny bike.
The reason - This bike does not have a character (Like REs Thump), the engine is too small as compared to 500 cc.
But when I dig deep & ask what all you know about the Duke, it becomes evident that they need a lot to know before Judging.
Someone has rightly said - "People are Lawyer for himself but Judge for others"
Not being biased, I believe every product has certain features which attract different customer segments. Hence Duke 200 may not be your friends cup of tea.
May be your friends (just like mine), give more weightage to engine "CC" than engine "HP" hence they feel 390 is a respectable companion.

P.S. - On the other end of the spectrum, I have had discussion with riders who feel REs are overpriced
Looking forward to other's views
NitinMakhija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 21:16   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Doc, some comments inline. Though I am not surprised at the reaction from bullet guys( I'm one myself). I am 6'1 in boots, 120 kilos, and ride a Std. 350, Rx-135 and the Duke.

There is always a perception one makes about a bike. It is incredibly easy to make suppositions about performance and power, before actually riding it.------------------ It is a special tool for a particular job, if that job is not what the rider has in mind, he must get a different tool.
Nice post bro.

I have been riding Bullets for over 10 years now. Three 500s, one of which I still own and ride (my first - a std).

Except carrying a lot of load without working up a sweat, a very good (read: much better) headlight, and a tougher setup for offroading in really rocky/broken stuff, there is nothing where the small 200 comes second to the mighty 500.

That was my point to them.

Dont go according to how many cc per rupee.

Look at it holistically as one tool versus another. Period.

What you can do with it. Versus how much it costs you.

Not just to buy. But to run. And keep running (I know this point strikes a cord with ALL Bulleters )
Old 8th November 2012, 03:13   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Nice post bro.

I have been riding Bullets for over 10 years now. Three 500s, one of which I still own and ride (my first - a std).

Except carrying a lot of load without working up a sweat, a very good (read: much better) headlight, and a tougher setup for offroading in really rocky/broken stuff, there is nothing where the small 200 comes second to the mighty 500.

That was my point to them.

Dont go according to how many cc per rupee.
Ebonho - how much have you ridden till now?

sorry lately I could not keep up with T-Bhp and the posts, and a little more on the new version KTM's too
contact.nitin7 is offline   Reply With Quote