Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 15:45   #661
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Dukers, how many of you have found the bite on the front brake to have gone down?

tting it? Is it normal (or is there a leak somewhere)?
Doc, Ive noticed the bite of the front brake reduce but it can be cause Ive completed 3k kms on them although I see the pads are ok.

Havent noticed a sound yet. Will try listening today.

Also, i notice that my front brake disc gets heated a lot after evry journey whereas the rear stays warm( and I can place my hand on it without getting burnt) although I use rear brakes most of the time. Is this normal? [Ive had my front tyre changed at 900kms, so maybe the pads werent placed back right??]
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:56   #662
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Doc, Ive noticed the bite of the front brake reduce but it can be cause Ive completed 3k kms on them although I see the pads are ok.
Get the brake pads and the assembly cleaned. You might want to bleed the lines as well to improve the efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also, i notice that my front brake disc gets heated a lot after evry journey whereas the rear stays warm( and I can place my hand on it without getting burnt) although I use rear brakes most of the time. Is this normal?
Brake disc's get heated up since the pads are always in contact with the rotors, but if your rear rotor is cooler than the front despite using the rear brakes more, do check if the brake assembly was fitted properly in place.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:07   #663
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Dukers, how many of you have found the bite on the front brake to have gone down?
Same here, 3700kms on the odo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
More importantly, when you press the front brake, do you get a typical crackling sound - as if fluid is being forced/sucked through a narrow tube.
I don't hear any crackling sound. All I hear is a whistle which is commonly associated with the drum brakes.
gk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:10   #664
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Partha, front rotor is always HOT bro.

Aditya, I am also thinking of getting my front and rear lines bled and the fluid replaced. I am missing the crazy bite the brakes had when the bike was new.

Guys any idea about the chirrrrrrrrrrrrr sound on pressing the front brake?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:15   #665
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Guys any idea about the chirrrrrrrrrrrrr sound on pressing the front brake?
Has to do with dust accumulation. Get the brake pads and the related components cleaned and the sound will disappear.

New pads will have a faint whoosh sound on hard braking and this will disappear once the pads break in.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:27   #666
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Has to do with dust accumulation. Get the brake pads and the related components cleaned and the sound will disappear.

New pads will have a faint whoosh sound on hard braking and this will disappear once the pads break in.
Bro these pads are 7000 kms old (been cleaned once on zero grit paper some 1000 kms ago).

This is not the sound of a glazed pad or dust. Its not a squeaking sound.

The pads are fuly broken in.

It is only when you press the brake lever.

The sound is very typical.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th February 2013 at 17:40.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:49   #667
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,210
Thanked: 4,843 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Some dust seems to have accumulated in the are where the brake pad rests. I usually (try to) clean it with a hose. The domestic one with as much pressure as can be exerted. Should help.

Try that from the right area as your brake assembly is to the left, right?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 18:01   #668
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
More importantly, when you press the front brake, do you get a typical crackling sound - as if fluid is being forced/sucked through a narrow tube.
Doc, is the sound from the disc/pads or the lines/reservoir?
I've heard this on a Duke yesterday at the Mariott signal on SB Road. It was a couple of thousand km's old, and the loud, high-pitched gurgling from the fluid reservoir was all too evident. To me it sounded very much like air in the system. A proper bleed and replacement of fluid should sort this out IMHO. I've heard this sound on quite a few disc-braked motorcycles, but it wasn't anywhere as loud as on yesterday's KTM.

Have you had signs of leakages of brake fluid?

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 18:06   #669
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Doc, is the sound from the disc/pads or the lines/reservoir?
I've heard this on a Duke yesterday at the Mariott signal on SB Road. It was a couple of thousand km's old, and the loud, high-pitched gurgling from the fluid reservoir was all too evident. To me it sounded very much like air in the system. A proper bleed and replacement of fluid should sort this out IMHO. I've heard this sound on quite a few disc-braked motorcycles, but it wasn't anywhere as loud as on yesterday's KTM.

Have you had signs of leakages of brake fluid?

Cheers,
Rahul
This is not a rotor/pad sound. It is more like a lines/reservoir sound. Read an apt description elsewhere - Sounds like a bicycle chain over the rear free wheel sprocket when you stop pedalling (or pedal backward).

No signs of leak anywhere. A bleed and fluid replacement does seem to be in order (even if not indicated till the 10 or 15K km service).

Thanks Rahul - that was helpful!

Last edited by ebonho : 11th February 2013 at 18:08.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 18:28   #670
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Read an apt description elsewhere - Sounds like a bicycle chain over the rear free wheel sprocket when you stop pedalling (or pedal backward).
Ah, that's indeed very apt. I find it quiet frustrating sometimes explaining the sounds to the people at the SVC. I simply try to record it on the phone if it doesn't involve a stunt, which is sadly not the case when the brakes are involved

But Doc, isn't this the same sound one would hear when there is air in the lines? Please confirm.
gk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 10:49   #671
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
But Doc, isn't this the same sound one would hear when there is air in the lines? Please confirm.
Yes, it sounds a lot like air bubbling through fluid in the lines.

Any ideas on how air can get into the lines if there is no leak? (I cannot see any obvious air bubble through the reservoir inspection window)
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 11:36   #672
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Any ideas on how air can get into the lines if there is no leak? (I cannot see any obvious air bubble through the reservoir inspection window)
I don't have an explanation either, it is supposed to be air-tight.

In my case though, I do see a bubble in the reservoir.
gk01 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 14:50   #673
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Getting the brakes checked up by the Brembo guys (hopefully tomorrow).

Will keep you guys updated.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 20:32   #674
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Partha, front rotor is always HOT bro.

Aditya, I am also thinking of getting my front and rear lines bled and the fluid replaced. I am missing the crazy bite the brakes had when the bike was new.

Guys any idea about the chirrrrrrrrrrrrr sound on pressing the front brake?
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Get the brake pads and the assembly cleaned. You might want to bleed the lines as well to improve the efficiency.
Brake disc's get heated up since the pads are always in contact with the rotors, but if your rear rotor is cooler than the front despite using the rear brakes more, do check if the brake assembly was fitted properly in place.
Thanks n_aditya and doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
I don't have an explanation either, it is supposed to be air-tight.

In my case though, I do see a bubble in the reservoir.
Hey even I have this bubble, but I dont seem to have the noise that Doc is having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Getting the brakes checked up by the Brembo guys (hopefully tomorrow).

Will keep you guys updated.
Doc in all probability someone must have messed with the brakes when the bike was parked and air has entered the system. Do let us know what the diagnosis finally is.

BTW, I had a screeching sound coming from the front wheel when I pull the bike backwards out of the parking. Someone on the India KTM page suggested to apply grease to the front axle. My friend did that on his Duke but the sound came back after a while. What can be the solution?

Also, my bike is getting hot these days very easily. Almost at every signal the fan is always on. The coolant level is still 1-2cm from the MIN mark. And the temp indicator is just one bar less in the first box. Although after running for sometime, the temp level drops to midline. Is my bike normal or is something wrong, doc? What levels does your temp usually stay at?

Also, what intervals are you lubing the chain doc?

Thanks.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 09:59   #675
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also, my bike is getting hot these days very easily.
Partha, this will be her first summer
This will be the first summer for a lot of Dukes. The way the weather's already turning stuffy in Pune, it isn't a good sign at all!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200 theexperthand Motorbikes 342 5th October 2017 15:08
KTM launches MY2016 Duke 200, Duke 390, RC200 & RC390 //M Motorbikes 99 27th April 2017 01:54
KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up Rahulkool Motorbikes 197 21st July 2016 11:54
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200) Shubz Motorbikes 76 4th April 2013 10:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks