Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th February 2013, 15:38   #691
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
P.S. Could you please for the benefit of Facebook-ly challenged dinosaurs (T-rex) like me, please post fotos and details of said innovative stands here on this thread please? Would be greatly appreciated.
from work place, I am FB-ly challenged at work. I will have to do that when I get online at home.

Unless someone else can do it before that.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 23:54   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Why don't you get the CBR250r paddock stand that rk_sans has. I've got the same stand and it works fine solo. It has made all regular bike maintenance a breeze and costs only 1200 bucks and comes with wheels too.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Yeah, I have to keep these two young helpers around specifically for this duty while on tour.
I don't see a sidecar on your Duke, Doc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
@airfoil - you should check out the innovative stands that one Mr. Dhaval Mahidhuria is coming up with. He is on India KTM Owners page on FB. It still needs the sidestand but effectively raises the rear wheel.
Shubz, the YT link of this product is in my earlier post:

Quote:
P.S. Could you please for the benefit of Facebook-ly challenged dinosaurs (T-rex) like me, please post fotos and details of said innovative stands here on this thread please? Would be greatly appreciated.
Same product as in the video above.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 10:40   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I don't see a sidecar on your Duke, Doc!

Quote:
Same product as in the video above.
You-tube-ly challenged as well.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 16:12   #694
BHPian

Quote:
You-tube-ly challenged as well.
This is a diagram of the stand designed by Colonel SN Ubgade. If you can get this to a fabricator doc.

Copy pasting this from facebook.
Name:  Anirudh.jpg
Views: 5302
Size:  43.3 KB

And this is the telescopic stand designed by Dhaval Mahidharia. Copy pasted from Facebook.

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-dhaval.jpg
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:50   #695
Senior - BHPian

Some updates, as I got my Duke washed and lubed and small things looked into post my ride to Goa.

(1) They have developed new improved Gear and Rear Brake foot levers. The material is stronger, more cross strut braces for strength, the part where the rubber fits is also longer, and most importantly, it has roller bearings instead of the current bushes for the pivot point.

Understandably, the price for each has also gone up now (around 240 odd for each). They still have not received the matching bolts, but once they arrive, I will be shifting to these and keeping my current ones as spares.

(2) Also got the rear hugger removed (hoefully for good - even come the rains). Now no tak tak. And unnecessary weight reduced by 1.5 kilos as well. LOL

(3) Discovered a new small design fault. If you guys note the black rubber boot covering the front pivot point of the gear lever tie rod (the adjustable octagonal rod with threads at both ends just under the gear lever), it will be shredded and torn in most older bikes.

I have a feeling it is due to the fact that when the bike is parked, the lower side of the boot is in contact with the spring of the side stand, and constant rubbing frays it over time. The boot is not available separately, and one currently has to buy the whole rod to replace it. The KTM guys have been informed and are looking into it.

4) Got the head mechanic to hear the front disc brake sound discussed earlier. He assured me that this sound is normal and is there in all the bikes. Even brand new ones. And is the sound of brake fluid being pushed through a very very small lumen of the brake line (says its as thin as a human hair). Dunno about this though and still waiting for the Brembo guys to check it out.

Came back home and did a nice diesel clean, shampoo, and polish of both my bikes. A Sunday well spent!
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 13:27   #696
BHPian

Quote:
(1) They have developed new improved Gear and Rear Brake foot levers.
Nice, please do post the part number for the levers & the bolts required for the swap if you can get them and if possible also a pic for comparison.

Last edited by samschenker : 25th February 2013 at 13:28.
samschenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 14:02   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Nice, please do post the part number for the levers & the bolts required for the swap if you can get them and if possible also a pic for comparison.
No idea about the part number Sam. Saw the levers. They look better built. And do away with the bush related jamming issues some bikes have had.

When a Duke falls, two parts always need replacement. (1) the crash guard of the side the bike has fallen on; and (2) the foot lever of the side the bike has falen on.

When it happens in the city its not an issue riding to the SVC and getting the part replaced. But it could be a serious issue out on tour. Hope these levers are stronger/less brittle.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th February 2013 at 14:03.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 17:16   #698
BHPian

Quote:

(1) They have developed new improved Gear and Rear Brake foot levers.

They still have not received the matching bolts, but once they arrive, I will be shifting to these and keeping my current ones as spares.
Few owners from the other forum have been asked to come to the A.S.S for gear lever bolt replacement. Sounds like the newer lots are already coming with these mods in place.
samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 15:42   #699
BHPian

Doc, how are the front brakes now?

I got it checked during the 2nd service a month ago. Brakes were Bleeded and were OK for 2 weeks after which they degraded. I paid another visit, bleed again.

They are again spongy now, significantly lost the bite, no match to what they were even when applied hard.

Wanted to check if you heard anything from Brembo before I visit to the SVC to get it sorted out once in for all.
gk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 17:20   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
Doc, how are the front brakes now?

I got it checked during the 2nd service a month ago. Brakes were Bleeded and were OK for 2 weeks after which they degraded. I paid another visit, bleed again.

They are again spongy now, significantly lost the bite, no match to what they were even when applied hard.

Wanted to check if you heard anything from Brembo before I visit to the SVC to get it sorted out once in for all.
The Brembo thing did not yet go through and I did not follow up on it as have admittedly been spending more time as a cager off late thanks to my new Safari Storme. The brakes are definitely not as they were when new, you know the hard trigger finger response to even slight one finger pressure, so I've adjusted by using two fingers and pressing harder. Not yet got the bleed done. How long does that take? Did they change the fluid? How much did that cost?
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 17:54   #701
BHPian

Quote:
thanks to my new Safari Storme. The brakes are definitely not as they were when new, you know the hard trigger finger response to even slight one finger pressure, so I've adjusted by using two fingers and pressing harder. Not yet got the bleed done. How long does that take? Did they change the fluid? How much did that cost?
Congrats! You are busy running-in all kind of vehicles round the year, aren't you?
IMHO nothing beats Safari for its sheer presence.

Quote:
The brakes are definitely not as they were when new, you know the hard trigger finger response to even slight one finger pressure, so I've adjusted by using two fingers and pressing harder.
Same here, worries me.

Quote:
Not yet got the bleed done. How long does that take? Did they change the fluid? How much did that cost?
15 - 20 mins is what he took on mine.
The fluid was only topped-up, nothing was charged. It was a new SVC (second in Hyd) and mine was one of the first bikes to get serviced, don't know if that was the reason
gk01 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 18:31   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
Congrats! You are busy running-in all kind of vehicles round the year, aren't you?
IMHO nothing beats Safari for its sheer presence.
Thanks bro. I agree.

Quote:
15 - 20 mins is what he took on mine.
The fluid was only topped-up, nothing was charged. It was a new SVC (second in Hyd) and mine was one of the first bikes to get serviced, don't know if that was the reason
Thats only part of the solution then. Apparently braking efficiency also goes down over time due to brake fluid getting contaminated with water (very hygroscopic). You should get the system completely bled and then change the fluid. Thats what I am going to give a try.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:46   #703
BHPian

OT: cough cough! Doc! safari storme eh! congrats! Wishing you unlimited happy and safe miles!
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:34   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
OT: cough cough! Doc! safari storme eh! congrats! Wishing you unlimited happy and safe miles!
Thanks bro! Just a teaser of BEASTIE BOY before I get around to putting up the (very detailed and involved) "official" Initial Ownership thread ..... (hope the mods allow this)

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-dsc01319.jpg
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 13:36   #705
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks bro! Just a teaser of BEASTIE BOY before I get around to putting up the (very detailed and involved) "official" Initial Ownership thread ..... (hope the mods allow this)
Hey doc congrats on the beast. Hope you're clocking lots of miles in it. Looking forward to an ownership review in a similar style to your Duke thread.

P. S good color choice
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote