Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th July 2014, 13:38   #901
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Instead of smaller steps take a leap of faith
Love this line of your's bro.

Would you care to ride down again to Pune for dinner with the family so that you can repeat this verbatim to my wife?

Duke + 30 kmph = Ninja 250R -> 0.5 Lacs

Ninja 250R + 40 kmph = Ninja 650R -> 2.0 Lacs

Duke + 70 kmph = Ninja 650R -> 2.5 Lacs

Duke (+ Clearance Sale of Stockpiled Bike Performance Parts from my tijori) + 70 kmph = Ninja 650R -> 2.0 Lacs

Last edited by ebonho : 4th July 2014 at 13:51.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 15:01   #902
Senior - BHPian

Doc, heard from Venkat sir that the rear view mirrors on the new 650 are light years better than than of the old model. Since you are eyeing the previous gen 650, thought I will share it.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 15:42   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Doc, heard from Venkat sir that the rear view mirrors on the new 650 are light years better than than of the old model. Since you are eyeing the previous gen 650, thought I will share it.

--Anoop
Anoop, since you know Venkat sir, pray place my predicament before him and ask Venkat sir what he would suggest for Doc.

I already know his answer, just checking.

Also ask him whether the mirrors are interchangeable.

What's 10 odd thousand bucks when you're buying something worth 35 times that ......

Last edited by ebonho : 4th July 2014 at 15:44.
Old 4th July 2014, 16:04   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Anoop, since you know Venkat sir, pray place my predicament before him and ask Venkat sir what he would suggest for Doc.

I already know his answer, just checking.

Also ask him whether the mirrors are interchangeable.

What's 10 odd thousand bucks when you're buying something worth 35 times that ......
From the way he was talking, I think the mirrors are interchangeable. He was planning to put them on his Ninja 650.

And sadly doc - I don't know him personally well (this happened during the first time I met him when I went for the first service of my Duke), but I am sure there are many others among us who know him very well

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 16:07   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And sadly doc - I don't know him personally well (this happened during the first time I met him when I went for the first service of my Duke), but I am sure there are many others among us who know him very well

--Anoop
I was kidding bro. He is my chaddi buddy, like Ashok here is. Know him since 2002 now. Gem of a guy, and a big man now. No time for mere mortals and old friends .....
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 16:12   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was kidding bro. He is my chaddi buddy, like Ashok here is. Know him since 2002 now. Gem of a guy, and a big man now. No time for mere mortals and old friends .....
you got me there, doc.

First I heard about him in one of our biking groups - Bikenomads, and since have heard from many people about him - but sadly, never got a chance to meet him in person till last Wednesday.

--Anoop
Old 4th July 2014, 16:19   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you got me there, doc.
Just called him up. The 2012-13 mirrors will not fit on the 2011 bikes.
Old 14th July 2014, 14:12   #908
Senior - BHPian

So Doc, any updates? Its been 10 days of silence.

--Anoop
Old 18th July 2014, 15:50   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Doc, any updates? Its been 10 days of silence.

--Anoop
Sorry bro, was in Germany for business - watching the Germans become Welmeisters and gorging on their national food - schwein (pork) bratwurst (huge fat sausages). What roads and what cars man. Team BHP heaven. Taxis are al high end Mercs. And they comfortably HOLD 230-240 kmph on the "free speed" sections of their autobahn - in pouring rain!

These Germans are quite officially mad ...... they have a new BMW hybrid electric supercar (the i8) which I saw displayed at the Munich airport, which does close to 300 kmph and puts out close to 400 bhp - but driven in standard Eco mode can still do 100 kms in 2.2 liters of petrol. Madness!

Now I come back and see the rains have properly hit and roads and slick wet. Don't know if this is the best time to get me a new sports bike - or wait it out for the next couple of months and ride Doppie hard till then.

Will keep you guys posted in the coming days .....
Old 18th July 2014, 17:31   #910
BANNED

The naked Duke 200 is enticing me with its cabaret. Must concede I am tempted. Pl tell me for just how many years and kilometers it can hold me in its spell before starting to show its tantrums? 5 years? 1 lakh km? Is it more? Or is it less? I am told that racing bikes lack in stamina.

Must add your posts are in most interesting language.
anandjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 18:33   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
The naked Duke 200 is enticing me with its cabaret. Must concede I am tempted. Pl tell me for just how many years and kilometers it can hold me in its spell before starting to show its tantrums? 5 years? 1 lakh km? Is it more? Or is it less? I am told that racing bikes lack in stamina.
We should be able to answer this question after either another 3 years or some of the early lot bikes completing 1 lakh kilometers.

There are already some which have done over 50,000 kms from what I know, and are still going strong in terms of engine health and perormance.
Quote:
Must add your posts are in most interesting language.
Thank you.
Old 17th November 2014, 22:18   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.
Dug up this thread and quoted you Doc to just get your attention. Since I don't have an ownership thread, I thought I would use this Baby Duke thread of yours to convey my heartfelt thanks for helping me with the decision to buy the D200. Why this sudden vote of thanks? Well I had an opportunity to do a 1000 kms solo ride over the weekend. This was over a variety of roads ranging from amazing 6 lanes to well laid twisty roads to horrendously pot holed ghat roads. And it was also over a variety of weather conditions ranging from constant drizzle, intense heat, pouring rain etc.

The Duke 200 performed so well, it blew me away. I will break this into the points that I loved the most on this ride:

1. Seating position is very comfortable. Seats are not at all bad as quoted by many. Maybe I was used to the narrow seat of the RTR or not sure. But the seats were very comfortable for a continuous run of 200kms at a time before stopping for fuel/loo/water etc break. Soreness was very minimal at the backside and under thighs.

2. The tank range is quite good for my kind of riding since I cannot go beyond 200kms without a break for hydration and stretching my legs.

3. IMMENSE FUN!! This had to be the first point but I thought I would cover the grouses raised earlier first as the fun part is subjective. But this is what a bike is all about for me. And B I G thanks to Doc for patiently answering my questions and recommending me this bike. It can cruise at around 115kmph comfortably being seated upright. Bike did not feel strained or like it would give up. There was adequate power left on tap for overtaking the cars on the express ways.

4. FUN part continued - The twisties were so much fun that without my knowledge I was leaning into the corners so well and with so much confidence. I was scared after i scraped the pegs twice with such ease and new found confidence.

5. Tyres are the best on an Indian bike i have used so far. Grip levels are amazing even in the wet with just some slipping and sliding on wet roads with gravel/twigs from broken trees. Otherwise, very confidence inspiring on all types of tarmac and cornering.

6. Bike ran very cool during the pouring rains in which i rode for nearly 4 hours. It was only at 5 bars with no drop in performance. On the hot-humid sections of my journey, the bike was at 8 bars always. Stopping and starting within few minutes would take the bars to 9 and come down within a short distance to 8 bars. Overall there was no heating issue experienced.

7. Headlights are of no use for night riding since they do not light up the road well. Low beam is still ok but the high beam gets washed out if there is oncoming traffic with headlights. Riding in rain & night is a fatal combo. I had to endure this for 2 hours since I had to get to my destination no matter what. My speeds were kept to the bare minimum during this stretch of the journey.

8. Braking is superb and the best in the bikes I have experienced so far. Shedding speeds is very fast and though there is no ABS, I managed to stop the bike in a straight line more than 3-4 times with no drama, shedding speeds from around 80+ kmph to near 0 speeds.

9. Took potholes in its stride on the bad sections though some really bad pot holes were actually bone jarring. But overall an hour through very bad roads did not tire me as much as it would on an RTR (This is my reference since I have done close to 90k kms on RTR160/180 combined).

10. Riding in the rains is a nightmare with regards to the mud/slush being splashed all over the back pack that I was wearing and rendering the bag fully wet!! But I managed to wrap the bag in a cover and enjoyed the ride further without having to worry about splashing the bag with all the muck.

11. Though the bike went through hell and back, a proper wash to get rid of all the caked muck and mud with a good chain lubrication brought it back to its original glory.

12. There was NO pain what so ever in the lower back, back, wrists, neck etc. The only soreness was in the shoulder area due to the back pack which vanished with a day's rest and I was fresh and ready for the ride next day. Overall fatigue due to the ride is WAY WAY lesser than the RTR on similar distances.

Very happy with the way the bike performed and helped me realize my potential as a rider as well. Again, thanks for penning your experiences in detail helping prospective buyers Doc!!

I am sure the bike definitely has its limits but I still have some time to go before I explore those limits and I am sure the bike will keep me happy with every ride that I undertake on it. This was my foremost requirement and I am happy the bike is managing to do that with every city ride and on this long ride, it proved its potential as a long distance tourer too!!
abhinav.s is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 14:26   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Dug up this thread and quoted you Doc to just get your attention. Since I don't have an ownership thread, I thought I would use this Baby Duke thread of yours to convey my heartfelt thanks for helping me with the decision to buy the D200. Why this sudden vote of thanks? Well I had an opportunity to do a 1000 kms solo ride over the weekend. This was over a variety of roads ranging from amazing 6 lanes to well laid twisty roads to horrendously pot holed ghat roads. And it was also over a variety of weather conditions ranging from constant drizzle, intense heat, pouring rain etc.
Abhinav, reading your post was bittersweet for me. Loved reading your experiences with the little demon - which is exactly what I felt with Baby Duke as well. But equally it made me miss my Baby Duke a lot.

You know as a (perpetually) cash crunched student in med school I lusted for the RX100 but eventually bought a KB100 RTZ because it was the best compromise - it had nearly as much power as the Yam, had a wonderful chassis and longer wheelbase and wheels/rubber, was better looking (my personal opinion), was more fuel efficient (marginally), and was cheaper to buy and maintain.

But somewhere I always missed not owning that cult bike.

Well, 25 years later, the Baby Duke blew all missing and regrets away. Out of this planet.
Old 18th November 2014, 19:34   #914
Senior - BHPian

I am late to the party doc but heartiest congos on the new resident and Doppie's stablemate. If this thread is anything to go by, cant wait for the 390 saga to begin

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 18th November 2014 at 19:35.
Urban_Nomad is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 12:42   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I am late to the party doc but heartiest congos on the new resident and Doppie's stablemate. If this thread is anything to go by, cant wait for the 390 saga to begin

Thanks buddy! Dying to give her a good workover. She's been sitting mostly silent these past two weeks since I got her. Been washing her, sprucing her up. Got her fully checked up, some parts cleaned, adjusted, topped up, replaced. Got her a new canvas garage cover (I have a flaming orange KTM PowerParts one as well - brand new in its packing - but I suspect its going to trigger some dormant mad gene in my dog and he is going to rip it to shreds again - like he's done in the past with 2 garage covers, one test 390 main seat, one pair of office formal shoes, and multiple chappals). Got her number stickered on to the front mudguard. Other than that, nothing much yet. Maybe this weekend. On my own, if no one is joining. Tired of waiting on people to make time to ride, and trying to coordinate riders and rides.