Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:39   #16
BHPian
 
Prithvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 301
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

What a shame! RE needs to buck up on the QC. However much I love RE, I will never buy an RE because of the shoddy workmanship!

Another friend bought a brand new Desert Storm and in less than a week the entire oil drained out from the block!

Will wait for the Triumph to launch their bikes, atleast you get international quality.
Go to the consumer court, publish your problem in leading newspapers only then will RE wake up. End of the day they are not giving us the bikes free and are bloody charging us a premium plus a waiting period of 10 months or so! In spite of all this if the QC is poor, imagine the plight of the new RE owner.
Prithvi is offline  
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,738
Thanked: 4,317 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

@Shailu, had you done a PDI before taking delivery ? I know it is easy to miss such details, both because it is a new bike & we dont expect it - and partly because of the excitement, but was there any oil below the engine / on the floor before the incident happened ?
condor is online now  
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:31   #18
BHPian
 
bradhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Agra
Posts: 288
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

I am planning to file a complaint for replacement of front wheel on my 500 that is out of warranty, so what is stopping you do so, for a brand new bike.....!!
bradhey is offline  
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:28   #19
BHPian
 
shailu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 123
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
shailu:


If the engine is similar to the 500cc UCE engine in my 2011, G5, it does not have a separate "sump". The oil sump is an integral part of the engine crankcase/gearbox casting.
If this is the part that has the crack the only solution would be to replace both halves of the entire lower part of the engine as the two halves are machined together as a matched set.
The sump in TBTS is integralpart of engine and there is no way that it can be replaced without dismantling the engine. Even if i insist RE to send their fully trained person from Factory to inspect the work..as i said before i will have to carry the pain/pinch that my engine has went thru a surgery at 150th KM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Shailu,

Please accept my sympathies.
I am still waiting for the response/communication from RE and if i do not get what i wanted YES! consumer court it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I'm aware of the shoddy quality of RE, but having a crack in the sump for a brand new bike is heights! I wonder what PDI they did before delivering the bike to you.

I am not sure about the new UCEs, but for a normal RE engine, once opened, we can't expect to have the factory built engine's reliability. Demand a new factory built engine.
This is what irritates me more. I am sure some one in the assembly line would have noticed the crack but in spite of that they have put a PDI OK sticker and sent it across to be sold to a customer like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Shailu, had you done a PDI before taking delivery ? I know it is easy to miss such details, both because it is a new bike & we dont expect it - and partly because of the excitement, but was there any oil below the engine / on the floor before the incident happened ?
Yes i did check for scratches and other stuff before delivery. There was no oil leak at the time of delivery and the crack was below the bike and i seriously did not think of lying down in the showroom to check for it.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2012 at 20:37. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
shailu is offline  
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:48   #20
BHPian
 
rm_arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 448
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Dont accept anything less than a new Bike ,the engine job if not done properly could haunt you later .
rm_arjuna is offline  
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:47   #21
BHPian
 
Rennjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coc, Cbe
Posts: 590
Thanked: 77 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Escalate this with RE fast enough not giving enough time for guys there to cook up some con job. Better ask for a new bike itself so that you'll atleast get a factory assembled replacement engine. And don't even think of option2 if you deal with coimby brand store phew, new heights of RE quality!
Rennjit is offline  
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:04   #22
BHPian
 
highway_star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 106
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post

I sincerely hope RE gets a tough competition in terms of same capacity / feel from other bike manufacturers soon and I want to see if they manage to sell even 100 bikes per month with this kind of quality.
+1

The lack of competition in this segment has made the RE management complacent and arrogant. I wonder why other manufacturers don't try to enter this segment, when the demand is clearly visible.
highway_star is offline  
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:13   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailu View Post
.....But everything went bad right from the time i picked up the bike...
Sorry to hear about that Shailu. Hope you get your bike restored to factory condition in the shortest possible time. This is definitely not a pleasing news to hear from a customer who has spent over a lac rupees of his hard earned money. RE are you listening??

On an other note, I had booked a TBTS few months back and recently got a call from the dealership saying that I would be getting my bike in the lot that is due to be delivered anytime soon.

After reading all these horror stories, Am really wary of buying an RE. Should I really go for one? Can I treat this as a one off case and go ahead with my purchase? or Should I wait till RE migrates to the new plant and beefs up its QC?

Grown up driving and maintaining Jap cars, I really do not know what an *unscheduled maintenance* means. Does owing an RE make sense to a person like me?

Your inputs would be highly appreciated!

PS: This gonna be my first bike

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 2nd March 2012 at 22:14.
Warwithwheels is offline  
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:19   #24
BHPian
 
Trueintrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 84
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My 2008 rebuilt Jeep (at a Mahindra dealer) has given lesser issues than it did after arriving from the factory in '97. Of course, I had the fullest trust in the workshop's management, labour & capability.

@Shailu
Sorry to hear that. I hope the company does something good this time around and sets a precedence by offering you a brand new bike. Please approach the consumer court.


@GTO
I am just curious to know which Mahindra dealership this is and are they really as good as you say they are? To put it plain and simple, I am of the opinion that Mahindra is no better than RE. Two sides of the same coin!
Trueintrepid is offline  
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:47   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 820 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

This is shocking, never know Enfield's QC and quality could be so bad, you see i am not in the bike world.

Is there a possibility to get a completely new bike instead of replace bits here and there? if yes i would suggest you push Enfield for that.
mayankjha1806 is offline  
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:58   #26
BHPian
 
Rajith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 391 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Hi guys,
i am holding my booking for 500cc classic chrome which i made recently.Dont want to take a chance from a manufacturer who pushes these substandard products to the customer because of no other choice.
Rajith is offline  
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:53   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I completely agree with theMag.

In fact, the RE shouldn't even have waited for you to request a new block. It is their duty to accept the fault and immediately give you a new engine without causing any further delay if they really care for their customers and want to do well in this competitive market.

I sincerely hope RE gets a tough competition in terms of same capacity / feel from other bike manufacturers soon and I want to see if they manage to sell even 100 bikes per month with this kind of quality.

All the best.
Boss they are least bothered about their Indian customers.It is the attitude If you want to buy,take it else GET LOST.But for export orders they are very particular in Q.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi guys,
i am holding my booking for 500cc classic chrome which i made recently.Dont want to take a chance from a manufacturer who pushes these substandard products to the customer because of no other choice.
My advice to you pls go for a Bull of yesteryears.Go for 1980's and so on.They are far far better then these new supposed to be IMPROVED ones.In act older ones are more in cost,at times more then the cost of new ones in some cases.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd March 2012 at 17:39.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline  
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:10   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

There is something cooking in the RE board room! When I had visited a couple of RE outlets to book a TBTS - late December/January, none of the showrooms were ready to give me a bike in less than 6 months.

Now every other day I keep getting a call from the outlets asking me to pick it up ASAP.

BTW.... RE prices have shot up by approx 8K in the last one month. I really don't know if it would make a sensible deal to pick up the TBTS @ 1.25Lacs on road.
Warwithwheels is offline  
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:04   #29
BHPian
 
adrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 751
Thanked: 587 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.


@ Shalu : Sorry about your machine friend. Had myself sent many e-mails to customer service with no reply. I have only two words for you : "Consumer Court". It is high time some body kicked RE
Regards Adrian

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2012 at 19:58. Reason: STRICTLY no inappropriate language on Team-BHP.
adrian is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:25   #30
BHPian
 
iron.head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 215
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: 4 day old Enfield Thunderbird. Oil sump damaged. EDIT: RE returns the Money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ Shalu : Sorry about your machine friend. Had myself sent many e-mails to customer service with no reply. I have only two words for you : "Consumer Court". It is high time some body kicked RE
Regards Adrian
@Shalu-please do keep us posted with the latest developments.

@Adrian-I wrote an email to customer service and got a prompt response and the same has been experienced by many other people too. RE sure has issues with quality checks but your seems to be a one off case where you got no response from their side.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2012 at 19:59. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
iron.head is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civic Oil Sump crack. How effective is Brazing? Speed Pujari Technical Stuff 26 8th November 2013 13:59
Oil Sump cleaner in Shell OMR tintin82 Street Experiences 1 21st September 2009 11:10
Credit Card:Converting Outstanding amount to EMI/Pay only minimum amount due?Advise ashwinsid Shifting gears 26 11th September 2009 15:24
Oil Sump In Optra Magnum-Design Flaw andrewdsouza72 Technical Stuff 33 3rd September 2009 15:13
Plastic Stick inside the Oil Sump via the dipstick tj123 Motorbikes 17 20th March 2009 18:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:45.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks