Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th May 2013, 16:52   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Got 4th service done 13th this month @ 8090kms. I know its just 4k kms since last service but due to some irritating problem and service center inability to attend those was the reason.

Problems -
1. Past two months i was facing the problem with accelerator. whenever i move the steering for right side it will increase the engine RPM to 6-7k rpm, very irritating to ride like this. I went to the service center 3 times(between 2-4pm) and was always asked to come back in the morning, on all 3 occations i wasted almost 30 mins at service center, just for a work which would hardly take 15 mins. Anyways i left it at that as due to work i could not go in the morning.
I understand Bajaj has only one service center for pro biking and i am ok with that but not attending to customer, what happens if the cable had snapped, still they would have asked me to come next day.
And many times i had just seen the mechanic strolling around in the service center.

2. Then 15days back the the radiator fan stopped working, i noticed it when got stuck in traffic and console displayed high coolant temp. parked the bike on side and left it for 15-20 mins and rode home. Didn't used the bike much after than specially in traffic.

3. Clutch was also very hard to pull in.

Because of all these problem decided to give to complete service as again going for service in next 1500kms didnt made any sense.

Gave the bike on 13th for full service.
So i have given these problem as complain.

Accelerator cable change(because its short)
Clutch cable change(because its very hard to pull)
Radiator fan not working
Engine oil(Motul 7100 fully synt) + all filters change
Complete service

13 evening i got a call in the evening that bike is ready as promised, Could not collect same day because of work.

On 14 i went around 2PM to collected the bike, everything is fine and i made payment for the work done. Been told the radiator fan is changed under warranty but there is no mention of this on this bill. Even last time one part was changed under warranty and nothing was mentioned, not a big problem but they should mention it on the bill.

Went to collect my bike which is just kept next to the showroom front, which is being renovated. Bike is completely dirty with dust and grime from the showroom work. One person was cleaning it with cloth and some liquid spray. Anyways i get it cleaned outside after service, so again no problem.

When i tried to start the bike it does not start. Giving it some revs it start but again dies.

I told the watchman to call the mechanic as its not starting, to which he comes and starts the bike and use the accelerator to keep the revs high and revs it couple of times to 7-8k. As soon as he shuts the accelerator it dies off. I am very much upset with his behavior rather than calling the mechanic he is trying to sort out the issue but revving the bike. I do not rev the bike unless its gets to normal working temp. and then behave like i do not know how to start a bike lol.

Next i called the mechanic who told to talk to service advisor, he comes out and does the same revving stunt. I told him its a FI bike and accelerator input is not required to start the bike. Then he tell me that engine is very cold so its not idling and will be fine after 5 mins of running. I somehow control my laughter, its may in chennai and in the middle of afternoon he is telling me engine is cold.

Then i ask them to check the bike, the mechanic came. and took the bike and started checking all the components. After 30mins he declares that its a major problem and asks me to come tomorrow. I told carry one with diagnosis and i will wait. Then i see my bike just lying for 30 mins. inquired with service advisor again and he shouted at the mechanic. Then they started working, and after 1.5-2 hours he tells me everything he has checked only TPS is remaining.

They changed the TPS with some other new bike as its not in stock, after which bike is working fine. Then the mechanic tell me that i am using less than 91 octane fuel so this problem is coming, i tell him that all fuel pumps in metro cities are 91 octane and i fill only from shell and company owned BP petrol pumps.

They told me that they will fix the old TPS and i can comes and get it changed when it get in stock.which will take a week, i do not know which courier service bajaj is using which take one week to deliver.

I request them to give me the replacement TPS which they straight away reject and tell me that a new customer is more important(this is the exact word i was told), as in they can not block one vehicle for one week because of me. Old customers can go through all troubles.

Then they call the manager, very busy person. He sees the TPS and declares i am using the 65rs petrol on my bike. He did not ask if i am filling or not ? just tells me that i am using it. I find it very offending. I tell him i am not sure what is a 65rs petrol as i fill from reputed pumps which sells petrol only at market price. Then he tells me i should fill only "speed" as its 91 octane. To which i replied all petrol are 91 octane and speed comes with additives. He then again gets a call and disappeared.

I have always filled fuel from shell or company operated BP pumps. Anyone has idea what he meant by 65rs petrol

The result of all this is i have again wasted at least 5-6 hours and result is my bike is worst than when i gave it for service.

When i gave the bike it was running fine with two problem, which i could manage ride with. After service they have given me another problem which is far worst than other two.

Next day morning i have noticed then have left the rear brake oil reservoir cap loose and oil is there on all chassis and component around it.

Got a call from service center 10days later that the part has arrived and i can come and get it replaced. Havent got time till now so could not go.

Send a complain mail to Bajaj but no good replies this time, just a curtsey call, after one week of making the complain, that they have got my complain and they will take care of it. I am not sure what happened there, as when i gave the bike there was no problem with idling and the TPS sensor they removed from my bike looked kind of very old. Attaching few pics.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 22886
Size:  186.7 KB

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-photo_1.jpg

Name:  photo_2.jpg
Views: 18539
Size:  89.0 KB
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 17:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

To me it looks like they exchanged the TPS from your bike to some other important new customer.
How they can blame you for low quality as when i went to check the 390 they said "It's got very advance Fi and it calibrates the ignition timing to avoid detonation if the fuel quality is low".
Log a proper complain with Bajaj quoting old parts are used during servicing of your bike and update.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 17:54   #138
Senior - BHPian

Almost 200 rs to change a clutch and accelerator cable ,which will not take more than 30 minutes to do . Your Working TPS would have been swapped to someone else . KTM 200 has become just like any other bike to them , prices are premium , service is pathetic and there is no proper escalation process .

What email ID /website did you log a complaint on ?

Last edited by black12rr : 28th May 2013 at 17:59.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 18:03   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Got 4th service done 13th this month @ 8090kms. I know its just 4k kms since last service but due to some irritating problem and service center inability to attend those was the reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
KTM 200 has become just like any other bike to them , prices are premium , service is pathetic and there is not escalation process at all . What email ID /website did you log a complaint on ?
This is the precise reason that has always kept me away from Bajaj bikes after experiencing the "famed" pro-biking servicing for my Sept 2009 P220. The bikes bajaj makes from the factory run really well. Once the service center technician (really?) touches your bike, its a goner. All sorts of troubles start creeping in. And their attitude sucks big time!!

Compared to this the TVS Service experience was a sea change with courteous service advisers ready to accommodate you for minor works in between the servicing of other vehicles, ready to let you watch your bike getting serviced, allow you to finish the service soon when in a hurry and a lot of other such examples.

As mentioned by Ajay and Black12rr, your TPS would have been switched to the "more important" new bike customer. If you have the time and resources, don't let this go lightly!
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:34   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
To me it looks like they exchanged the TPS from your bike to some other important new customer.
How they can blame you for low quality as when i went to check the 390 they said "It's got very advance Fi and it calibrates the ignition timing to avoid detonation if the fuel quality is low".
Log a proper complain with Bajaj quoting old parts are used during servicing of your bike and update.
Its not only low quality fuel but 65rs fuel, only the service manager from bajaj knows where this is available. What bugs me is rather than getting to the problem and finding the solution, they start blaming the the customer. And the excuses and reason they give is hilarious.

Anyways for last 3 services i was there in the service center the whole time, because of work couldn't do the same, hence the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Almost 200 rs to change a clutch and accelerator cable ,which will not take more than 30 minutes to do . Your Working TPS would have been swapped to someone else . KTM 200 has become just like any other bike to them , prices are premium , service is pathetic and there is no proper escalation process .

What email ID /website did you log a complaint on ?
I don't mind spending if the quality of work is good, which is not. The clutch cable and accelerator cable quality is not good. Clutch cable which was less priced for ZMA, use to last almost 15-20k kms without any problems. And i could see the quality was much better than what Bajaj is offering. Just with one wash, now the cable feels little harder and the lever does not move back completely after releasing the clutch.

I have send mail to certain technical person from Bajaj pune, got the id from ebonho. Last time i send a mail got a quick reply and i aprriciated the experience also, this time no reply from him. If Bajaj is not bothered then how i expect reply from local service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
This is the precise reason that has always kept me away from Bajaj bikes after experiencing the "famed" pro-biking servicing for my Sept 2009 P220. The bikes bajaj makes from the factory run really well. Once the service center technician (really?) touches your bike, its a goner. All sorts of troubles start creeping in. And their attitude sucks big time!!

Compared to this the TVS Service experience was a sea change with courteous service advisers ready to accommodate you for minor works in between the servicing of other vehicles, ready to let you watch your bike getting serviced, allow you to finish the service soon when in a hurry and a lot of other such examples.

As mentioned by Ajay and Black12rr, your TPS would have been switched to the "more important" new bike customer. If you have the time and resources, don't let this go lightly!
Even HH service was not bad, if anything, one call to local HH person will sort out the issue.

If anyone has any other email id from Bajaj please let me know, i will send a mail to them. Altho i don't have time and energy to run around for this. Rather i will sell the bike and move on with something else.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 11:05   #141
BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 - My new commuter- idling problem cropped up after 4th service page

Rahul:
good lord man. Your Service station really does seem in competent.
I think the mail id is info@ktmindia.com
Mail them. If it does not get you a response, post all this on the KTM india facebook page.

They changed the accelerator cable coz it was short? I had the same issue on my bike. I adjusted the cable at home since it had no 'play' and voila, fixed. Please tell your service advisor that cables don't 'become' short. Do take this up to get these guys straightened up. And if you have a choice, Don't go back to this service centre to fix what they messed up. They wouldn't know how.
Another case of good products screwed @ service.
Good luck.

Last edited by wolfy : 30th May 2013 at 11:08.
wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 11:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 200 - My new commuter- idling problem cropped up after 4th service page

Did you get a chance to talk to Karthil who is the showroom manager, when I used to take my bike for service he specifically asked me to escalate if I have any issues with the service. Can you try to escalate this to him if you havent already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Then they call the manager, very busy person.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 12:01   #143
BHPian

Wow, I thought that Bajaj-KTM service was a cut above the rest. Am a potential 390 customer and one of the things pushing me towards the KTM was the impression that their service levels were better than the competitors.

But if they have also fallen into the usual lazy habits of blaming the customer's riding habits, fuel, road conditions, etc. instead of sorting out the issue, then I'm starting to think about my upcoming purchase again.

I get enough 'bad service attitude' from RE, don't need another brand like that in my garage!
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 12:12   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wow, I thought that Bajaj-KTM service was a cut above the rest. Am a potential 390 customer and one of the things pushing me towards the KTM was the impression that their service levels were better than the competitors.

But if they have also fallen into the usual lazy habits of blaming the customer's riding habits, fuel, road conditions, etc. instead of sorting out the issue, then I'm starting to think about my upcoming purchase again.

I get enough 'bad service attitude' from RE, don't need another brand like that in my garage!
Worry not. In Bangalore, you are in relatively better hands. What's that saying again? "Don't miss the forest for the trees" (?)

OT: But it really really helps to learn about the motoorcycle you own. You will be a much happier owner.
Cheers!
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 13:32   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Rahul:
good lord man. Your Service station really does seem in competent.
I think the mail id is info@ktmindia.com
Mail them. If it does not get you a response, post all this on the KTM india facebook page.

They changed the accelerator cable coz it was short? I had the same issue on my bike. I adjusted the cable at home since it had no 'play' and voila, fixed. Please tell your service advisor that cables don't 'become' short. Do take this up to get these guys straightened up. And if you have a choice, Don't go back to this service centre to fix what they messed up. They wouldn't know how.
Another case of good products screwed @ service.
Good luck.
Thanks for the email id mate. I will send link to this thread and see what there reply, can't be bothered to types everything again.

I had tried to loosen the accelerator cable at home but there was no space left. The adjusting screw was already in the max possible position. You are talking about the adjusting screw next to the accelerator right ?

There is only one service center in chennai for KTM , anyways i am waiting for call from Bajaj before going in for the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Did you get a chance to talk to Karthil who is the showroom manager, when I used to take my bike for service he specifically asked me to escalate if I have any issues with the service. Can you try to escalate this to him if you havent already?
I haven't talked to Karthik, i had deal with him earlier while purchasing the bike but i have never seen him around in the showroom for past 4-5 visits. He was a decent chap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Even i was very happy with the service, till this issue. I have been praising so much about Bajaj service among my friends and also send a mail of appricication to Bajaj and they responded back. Now when i send a complain mail, there is no reply other than one appology call from a guy who has no idea about the issue or the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Worry not. In Bangalore, you are in relatively better hands. What's that saying again? "Don't miss the forest for the trees" (?)

OT: But it really really helps to learn about the motoorcycle you own. You will be a much happier owner.
Cheers!
Even i prefer to do most of the stuff myself when time permits, earlier on my ZMA i had done 2-3 routine services myself. But untill the warranty can't risk it on KTM. But the amount of things already gone bad on my bike is alarming. It has done 8K kms and one sensor(dont remember the exact name), Radiator fan, TPS sensor.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:28   #146

My moto has completed 11,300 km

Just got the chain and sprocket replaced yesterday.

At the fourth service (first paid service ~11000 km), I was asked to change the chain and rear sprocket citing wear and the service manager tells me the life of the chain is 10000 km!!! (there was considerable noise from the chain on dethrottling inspite of tightening the chain), but I just got the fork oil seal changed in this service. (it had started weeping at ~6000 km, but with a history of bad experiences with fork seals on other m/c kept postponing the replacement since it was just a weep then)
In about a week's time after the fourth service, the same right fork again started leaking and the chain was still making noise, so decided to get the chain and sprocket replaced (the changed the rubber dampers in the hub too) and this time after the seal was changed there is no leak yet (fingers crossed )
Dragonheart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 11:49   #147
Senior - BHPian

Taking the bike today to the service center, after confirmation from Bajaj/KTM person from chennai as well as pune. Lets see how it goes.
Old 4th June 2013, 19:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Got the TPS sensor replaced today, went around 2PM and bike was taken in 15mins time. Got it back around 3:15. One Bajaj local person was also present. Bike is working fine now. Not entirely happy with service center attitude. Looks like showroom is going for a complete renovation for Duke 390 launch.
Old 25th September 2013, 03:09   #149
BHPian

Guys are there many such complaints about the after sales service. It's making me feel worried as I awaiting my 390 delivery.
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 10:50   #150
Senior - BHPian

There is no problem as such with a bike, Almost done 10k kms. The engine on/off switch is acting up. Sometime it works only from toggling it 2-3 times(sometimes starter motor works but bike does not start, most of the times when you thumb the starter display will switch off). Even if you touch it slightly engine switches off. I have had 2 close calls because of this, while overtaking another vehicle. I have complained about this in last 2 service. They have not changed the switch just clean the contact or something and it works fine for 2-3 months.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 5th October 2013 at 10:51.