Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 17:18   #151
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 420
Thanked: 712 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
There is no problem as such with a bike, Almost done 10k kms. The engine on/off switch is acting up. Sometime it works only from toggling it 2-3 times(sometimes starter motor works but bike does not start, most of the times when you thumb the starter display will switch off). Even if you touch it slightly engine switches off. I have had 2 close calls because of this, while overtaking another vehicle. I have complained about this in last 2 service. They have not changed the switch just clean the contact or something and it works fine for 2-3 months.
Haha.

Time for you to experience the "Crow" biking .
No matter what people say about service from KTM/Bajaj, HH has always made better quality stuff.
Since you have owned stuff from both the worlds now, I guess you know better
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 18:48   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 976 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Haha.

Time for you to experience the "Crow" biking .
No matter what people say about service from KTM/Bajaj, HH has always made better quality stuff.
Since you have owned stuff from both the worlds now, I guess you know better
Plus 1 to what Sourav says. Now their main emphasis is to sell in numbers. To hell with customer complaints. This was bound to happen sooner or later.

I take it to my ASC - Gosh! they are so polite, nod their heads at everything - but nothing is done beyond what they feel needs to be done!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 13:04   #153
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
When i tried to start the bike it does not start. Giving it some revs it start but again dies.

I told the watchman to call the mechanic as its not starting, to which he comes and starts the bike and use the accelerator to keep the revs high and revs it couple of times to 7-8k. As soon as he shuts the accelerator it dies off. I am very much upset with his behavior rather than calling the mechanic he is trying to sort out the issue but revving the bike. I do not rev the bike unless its gets to normal working temp. and then behave like i do not know how to start a bike lol.

Next i called the mechanic who told to talk to service advisor, he comes out and does the same revving stunt. I told him its a FI bike and accelerator input is not required to start the bike. Then he tell me that engine is very cold so its not idling and will be fine after 5 mins of running. I somehow control my laughter, its may in chennai and in the middle of afternoon he is telling me engine is cold.
Hi Rahul,
I had the same problem at the Adyar SS. The bike was a lot worse after the service and had this terrible throttle control and idling issue and the cables they have used for the clutch and accelerator seem to last no more than 6 months. The FI problem is sinister, since the SS behaviour (revving a cold engine) in response to the problem indicates that they do not know how it works and their attitude indicates that they won't bother finding out.

In addition, sometimes, the engine continues to rev after I have closed the throttle. This happened at speed as well and was pretty scary! I think this is also an FI problem.Have you faced this problem as well?

Are there any options other than the company service centre?

I would not mind paying more for reliability. At this stage I am seriously considering riding to B'lore to get it serviced!

Thanks
aerosaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 13:12   #154
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,249
Thanked: 6,248 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaurous View Post

In addition, sometimes, the engine continues to rev after I have closed the throttle. This happened at speed as well and was pretty scary! I think this is also an FI problem.Have you faced this problem as well?
This might be due to an improper cable routing or slack. Check if the cable is routed properly and not getting stuck. Also check if the cable has the recommended slack to it, esp while the handle bars are moving to either side. If not you have to check the throttle body side for any stickiness and air map sensors.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 13:24   #155
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This might be due to an improper cable routing or slack. Check if the cable is routed properly and not getting stuck. Also check if the cable has the recommended slack to it, esp while the handle bars are moving to either side. If not you have to check the throttle body side for any stickiness and air map sensors.
Thanks Jaggu, will check this again but there seems to be no relation to the position of the handlebars at all. And I was informed by the SS that they have changed the cable; since its been less than 10 KMs since then, so I certainly hope its not a cable problem!

Though the problem seems to be worse when the engine is cool, it happens irregularly during all operating conditions (including fully warmed up) and lasts about 2 seconds.

Cheers
aerosaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 13:28   #156
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,249
Thanked: 6,248 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Then you should check the throttle body, it might be dirty with use. You can use one of the cleaner sprays to dislodge the grime and make it free. Its a cheap and easy solution, pretty much safe also. Just open the air filter end of the throttle body and spray the cleaning spray, while operating the throttle and engine SWITCHED OFF. Do this couple of times, wipe the excess spray with a cloth and it should be all set.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 20:49   #157
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Then you should check the throttle body, it might be dirty with use. You can use one of the cleaner sprays to dislodge the grime and make it free. Its a cheap and easy solution, pretty much safe also. Just open the air filter end of the throttle body and spray the cleaning spray, while operating the throttle and engine SWITCHED OFF. Do this couple of times, wipe the excess spray with a cloth and it should be all set.
That does seem a distinct possibility, my daily route is through a very dusty construction site. I am not mechanically inclined and won't touch the throttle body myself but I will ask the service guys at another (Bajaj) place and see if they can help. I would think they should check this during the service...

Appreciate the gyan!
aerosaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 09:40   #158
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,249
Thanked: 6,248 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaurous View Post
I would think they should check this during the service...

Appreciate the gyan!
Not very sure by default they would clean throttle body at service, air filter yes.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 10:05   #159
BHPian
 
pratikjammy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: indore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 0 Times
Default looking forward a reply from you experts..

hello everyone,
I have been riding RE Classic 500 then 350 for 3 years, but the problem is I have a serious backache(spine problem), while the vehicle is running,it feels light but during traffic and turning it becomes a lot heavier, so my doctor suggested to replace the bike. My pref is Duke 200(mom suggesting for vespa,but how hard it is to downgrade from bike!!).
I have certain queries and damn sure it would be solved by you experts certainly-
1)is the vehicle comfortable in the city ride? frankly i do not drive hard and my average speed is near 50-60kms in city because the traffic here is worst.
2) is the FE above 30kmpl because my most of the money is draining in my research work and asking more money from home would be awkward for me.
3)what is the servicing cost? is it on the higher side? as normal service of CL350 cost me around 800-900 rupees.
and most importantly is it really necessary to rev it hard? i am a calm driver and in spite having short bottle silencer fitted in RE i do not accelerate harder for the thump.
pratikjammy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 10:42   #160
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: looking forward a reply from you experts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaurous View Post
Hi Rahul,
I had the same problem at the Adyar SS. The bike was a lot worse after the service and had this terrible throttle control and idling issue and the cables they have used for the clutch and accelerator seem to last no more than 6 months. The FI problem is sinister, since the SS behaviour (revving a cold engine) in response to the problem indicates that they do not know how it works and their attitude indicates that they won't bother finding out.

In addition, sometimes, the engine continues to rev after I have closed the throttle. This happened at speed as well and was pretty scary! I think this is also an FI problem.Have you faced this problem as well?

Are there any options other than the company service centre?

I would not mind paying more for reliability. At this stage I am seriously considering riding to B'lore to get it serviced!

Thanks
No in my case the RPM used to increase when moving the steering from side to side. I think you need to clean your throttle body and cable as Jaggu replied.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikjammy87 View Post
hello everyone,
I have been riding RE Classic 500 then 350 for 3 years, but the problem is I have a serious backache(spine problem), while the vehicle is running,it feels light but during traffic and turning it becomes a lot heavier, so my doctor suggested to replace the bike. My pref is Duke 200(mom suggesting for vespa,but how hard it is to downgrade from bike!!).
I have certain queries and damn sure it would be solved by you experts certainly-
1)is the vehicle comfortable in the city ride? frankly i do not drive hard and my average speed is near 50-60kms in city because the traffic here is worst.
2) is the FE above 30kmpl because my most of the money is draining in my research work and asking more money from home would be awkward for me.
3)what is the servicing cost? is it on the higher side? as normal service of CL350 cost me around 800-900 rupees.
and most importantly is it really necessary to rev it hard? i am a calm driver and in spite having short bottle silencer fitted in RE i do not accelerate harder for the thump.
IMO duke is not very comfortable bike, the seat is very thin and the suspension is hard and light weight of bike does not help either. Test ride it and you will get a better idea.

30kmpl is easily doable, i get around 28-30 with shifting at 5-6k rpm, if you push it further it will drop to 25kmpl levels. Altho i haven't tested the FE recently, these days i just fill and ride, with petrol prices rising so much i have stopped thinking about it

You can ride it without revving but its very boring and does not sound very refined, again i will say, take a test ride.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:48   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

I rode out with a friend of mine one night recently while he was running in his Bullet 500 with a new block-piston. We were on Nagar Road, and the traffic was sparse.

Did about 50 kms one way before turning back. Since he was riding at 60-70, so was I (on Baby Duke).

Riding constantly at 60 kmph, the Duke 200 showed 1.9 L/100 km (around 52.6 kmpl).

On the way back, he upped the pace to 65-70 kmph, and here the Duke 200 showed between 2-2.1L/100 km (50-47.6 kmpl).

More often than not, while riding normally, on tour (around 110 cruising) I get 2.8L/100 km (35.7 kmpl), and in the city I get 3-3.3L/100 km (33.3-30 kmpl).

Last edited by ebonho : 16th October 2013 at 11:49.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 12:07   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
More often than not, while riding normally, on tour (around 110 cruising) I get 2.8L/100 km (35.7 kmpl), and in the city I get 3-3.3L/100 km (33.3-30 kmpl).
Doc,
How did you arrive at these numbers? Was it from the full tank to full tank method or did you go purely by the reading on the display?
Cause I have my own reservations for the display
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 12:14   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
How did you arrive at these numbers? Was it from the full tank to full tank method or did you go purely by the reading on the display?
Cause I have my own reservations for the display
All from display bro. But pretty accurate because on tour one actually gets to compare against tankful to tankful computations as well - the display is off by 1-2 kmpl max. The speed readings are also very accurate (when compared to a bike mounted GPS, off by 2-3 kmph max sub 100 kmph and around 3-4 kmph in the 100-140 kmph band).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 16:37   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All from display bro.
1 or 2 Km inaccuracy is pretty manageable for a 2 wheeler. Would agree to your inputs
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 17:04   #165
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All from display bro. But pretty accurate because on tour one actually gets to compare against tankful to tankful computations as well - the display is off by 1-2 kmpl max. The speed readings are also very accurate (when compared to a bike mounted GPS, off by 2-3 kmph max sub 100 kmph and around 3-4 kmph in the 100-140 kmph band).
For me it was pretty accurate with the stock ECU firmware, but when they updated the firmware its not accurate and usually shows 5-6kmpl more. Also FE has reduced drastically after the update. Earlier with same shifting at 5-6k rpm i was getting ~35kmpl, even more.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM launches MY2016 Duke 200, Duke 390, RC200 & RC390 //M Motorbikes 99 27th April 2017 01:54
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200 theexperthand Motorbikes 340 5th April 2017 20:29
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family! ebonho Motorbikes 931 17th November 2015 16:02
The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200) Shubz Motorbikes 76 4th April 2013 10:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks