Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 19:43   #121
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Took the bike to service center today, meet the Bajaj service head for south. They flashed the bike ECU, it took some 20 mins. After that they took a 10kms road test as after flashing bike takes sometime to settle in.

Its feels like magic tho , now its completely different bike, after driving almost 5-10 kms in traffic i can finally say that low RPM stalling is taken care of. I rode it without any extra throttle input and carelessly like any other bike and it did not stall even once. Also the jerkiness in power delivery is completely gone in low rpm, like riding @10-15kmph in 3rd gear, now its very smooth. Coudnt test the high speed engine stalling problem because of the traffic, will update once i test.
Rahulkool is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 10:14   #122
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 244
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Took the bike to service center today, meet the Bajaj service head for south. They flashed the bike ECU, it took some 20 mins. After that they took a 10kms road test as after flashing bike takes sometime to settle in.
Hey!

Is this your first or second service? Service guys seem to have rectified all the common problems faced on Duke in your bike..
Is this ECU flashing a part of regular service or was it done as a one of case? Any clue about the parameters getting modified during this ECU flash?

I would be taking mine for the 1K service in 2 or 3 days.

OT: Whats the take on switching to Motul 7100 during the first service?

Cheers!
Asif
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 13:40   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Took the bike to service center today, meet the Bajaj service head for south. They flashed the bike ECU, it took some 20 mins. After that they took a 10kms road test as after flashing bike takes sometime to settle in.

Its feels like magic tho , now its completely different bike, after driving almost 5-10 kms in traffic i can finally say that low RPM stalling is taken care of. I rode it without any extra throttle input and carelessly like any other bike and it did not stall even once. Also the jerkiness in power delivery is completely gone in low rpm, like riding @10-15kmph in 3rd gear, now its very smooth. Coudnt test the high speed engine stalling problem because of the traffic, will update once i test.
Rahul, glad to know that the bike is moving better post the ECU flashing.

Can you please (very safely) check whether she is reving to the cutoff at 10500 rpm in each gear and let us know?

Did you check the same earlier?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 14:31   #124
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Hey!

Is this your first or second service? Service guys seem to have rectified all the common problems faced on Duke in your bike..
Is this ECU flashing a part of regular service or was it done as a one of case? Any clue about the parameters getting modified during this ECU flash?

I would be taking mine for the 1K service in 2 or 3 days.

OT: Whats the take on switching to Motul 7100 during the first service?

Cheers!
Asif
It wasn't done under regular servicing. I was facing the problem of engine stalling after high rpm runs, you can read in the last page.
I have changed oil at 500kms with Bajaj oil then wanted to change to synthetic(7100) at 1k first service but it wasnt available at the service center, so got Bajaj oil again. Changed to synthetic finally at 2k kms. Again 2nd service @ 3500 i have used synthetic. Havent felt any change with synthetic oil. I think you can go ahead with 7100 in first service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Rahul, glad to know that the bike is moving better post the ECU flashing.

Can you please (very safely) check whether she is reving to the cutoff at 10500 rpm in each gear and let us know?

Did you check the same earlier?
Sure doc will check and let you know, earlier i have checked the cut-off in 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th gear, cant tell you for sure about 10500rpm tho because its impossible to check the rpm with such a small indicator but it was around 10500.



Few change i am feeling after the ecu flash.

FE indicator now shows figure very close to the actual FE which bike used to give, earlier FE indicator figures were very high but bike gave lower FE. Don't know actual FE after the ECU flash, have to check on that.

I don't know if its true of just in my mind but i feel revs does not build up as fast as it used to be.

Throttle response is better, specially in lower rpms.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 20th September 2012 at 14:32.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 21:24   #125
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Rahul, glad to know that the bike is moving better post the ECU flashing.

Can you please (very safely) check whether she is reving to the cutoff at 10500 rpm in each gear and let us know?

Did you check the same earlier?
Hey Doc, i check the bike today and limiter is ~10500-11000rpm. Check in all gears till 5th but coudnt touch in 6th, it would not go beyond 134-135 in 6th gear on the windy ECR road. I didnt tried crouching on the tank.

Another problem cropped up after ecu flash is sometime fuel indicator shows low fuel when tank has 5-6 litres of fuel, next day morning it showed 2-3 bars of fuel. Happened twice, have given this feedback to Bajaj engg in KTM chennai.

few pics :-)

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_0005.jpg

KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up-img_0006.jpg

Last edited by Rahulkool : 21st September 2012 at 21:33.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:09   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Ya I confirmed. Nothing has been done to the rev limit, or new map etc. Just error clean ups where needed.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 15:18   #127
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Ya I confirmed. Nothing has been done to the rev limit, or new map etc. Just error clean ups where needed.
are you sure ? If maps are not changed then how the stalling problem is solved ? And overall throttle response is different now specially till 3000rpm.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:54   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Yeah thats what I've been told. A remap is not something so casually done (e.g. at a service camp where not everyone goes).

These guys have a huge and growing database. Each bike with chassis and engine number. Every little thing done to it. Every part changed/replaced, with old parts tagged and sent back for analysis. All new "in test" parts fitted, with version control details.

The throttle response could simply be something as rudimentary as a choked air filter. Dunno really what you mean, as its more a "feel" thing. I know my bike is still revving out nicely but yes its not as free as when it was just serviced. So a service is due. Plus an oil change.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:44   #129
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 304
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

My Duke occasionally stutters and rarely dies out completely - does this warrant a remap? She always restarts readily though.

This has almost always occurred at low RPM. One time when I was making a u-turn, the bike almost died on me abruptly and nearly caused me to drop it.

This seems to be a fuel starvation issue, but does not seem to have anything to do with fuel levels, most times the fuel was over the half-tank mark.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 14:27   #130
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 950
Thanked: 1,208 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Took the bike to service center today, meet the Bajaj service head for south. They flashed the bike ECU, it took some 20 mins. After that they took a 10kms road test as after flashing bike takes sometime to settle in.

Its feels like magic tho , now its completely different bike, after driving almost 5-10 kms in traffic i can finally say that low RPM stalling is taken care of. I rode it without any extra throttle input and carelessly like any other bike and it did not stall even once. Also the jerkiness in power delivery is completely gone in low rpm, like riding @10-15kmph in 3rd gear, now its very smooth. Coudnt test the high speed engine stalling problem because of the traffic, will update once i test.
Thanks a ton bro, my colleague was facing the same stalling issue and after reading your post I immediately contacted him. He then contacted the service manager and made an appointment for service on Saturday. BTW manger was really surprised when he inquired about the flashing ECU, he asked "where did you get the information from?". . My colleague is really happy now, no stalling and he did say that the throttle response is better now.
ecenandu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 18:33   #131
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yeah thats what I've been told. A remap is not something so casually done (e.g. at a service camp where not everyone goes).

These guys have a huge and growing database. Each bike with chassis and engine number. Every little thing done to it. Every part changed/replaced, with old parts tagged and sent back for analysis. All new "in test" parts fitted, with version control details.

The throttle response could simply be something as rudimentary as a choked air filter. Dunno really what you mean, as its more a "feel" thing. I know my bike is still revving out nicely but yes its not as free as when it was just serviced. So a service is due. Plus an oil change.
I think they did some changes to ECU as i could see data being written through the device to the bike and before some map being selected by the engg from a list of choices. And the whole process took some ~25mins, while mere deleting the error take just few secs as i found out later when i went to the service center because of engine malfunction light started blinking after a wash.

Throttle response i have clearly felt the difference as in before and after ecu update. Also bike felt different, for sure power feels better distributed across the rev range. Also intial rpms after opening the throttle bike immediately surges forward, earlier there was slight hesitation sometimes, not always i will say.

Also the fuel indicator problem and fuel efficiency meter now working as before, few days back in heavy rain was riding very very slow and saw 50kmpl on the display.

But in the end full marks to Bajaj on service, never ever saw after sales so good in automobiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
My Duke occasionally stutters and rarely dies out completely - does this warrant a remap? She always restarts readily though.

This has almost always occurred at low RPM. One time when I was making a u-turn, the bike almost died on me abruptly and nearly caused me to drop it.

This seems to be a fuel starvation issue, but does not seem to have anything to do with fuel levels, most times the fuel was over the half-tank mark.
There is a solution for this problem. but don't go and ask for a remap and ecu update. just tell them the problem and they will take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Thanks a ton bro, my colleague was facing the same stalling issue and after reading your post I immediately contacted him. He then contacted the service manager and made an appointment for service on Saturday. BTW manger was really surprised when he inquired about the flashing ECU, he asked "where did you get the information from?". . My colleague is really happy now, no stalling and he did say that the throttle response is better now.
That great, but rather than asking ecu flashing you guys could just explain the problem and let them solve it, as till now we don't know for sure if they are really flashing the ecu
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 20:38   #132
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 304
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
There is a solution for this problem. but don't go and ask for a remap and ecu update. just tell them the problem and they will take care of it.
Could you explain what the solution is please?
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 21:24   #133
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 950
Thanked: 1,208 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
That great, but rather than asking ecu flashing you guys could just explain the problem and let them solve it, as till now we don't know for sure if they are really flashing the ecu
He have a good rapport with the service manager, he only enquired whether they are having any software updates for stalling issue. He also showed me the picture of the tool used. I will try to get the picture from him and post here.
ecenandu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 12:33   #134
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Could you explain what the solution is please?
It has something to do with ECU, please read few posts from previous page and you will get an idea :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
He have a good rapport with the service manager, he only enquired whether they are having any software updates for stalling issue. He also showed me the picture of the tool used. I will try to get the picture from him and post here.
No problem mate, my point was we should tell them the problem rather than solution, as it seems little rude. If your problem is not getting solved then we can go this way. Anyways happy to hear that his problem was rectified. The device is just a handheld ecu scanner, available at most of the authorized service centers.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 12:27   #135
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200, my new commuter. Edit: 18k kms up

So i did the under belly exhaust today, thanks to chennai roads(drain?) today. Water was very high, even the rear brake caliper was under water. There wasnt any problem and i could pass the whole ~200 meter stretch without getting my shoes wet .

But in recent rain there are few problems cropped up, rear right indicator has some water inside and was malfunctioning. When i switch on the insdicator it was flashing very fast and pushing the button i could not switch it off :o, then i tried the left indicator and it switched off. again after a while it started blinking automatically :-/. But today morning it was functioning fine without any trace of water.

Another problem is with the engine start/stop switch. Sometimes(mostly when it rains) just touching the button will switch off the engine. I have complained about to the service center last time i went but it was functioning properly that time.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM launches MY2016 Duke 200, Duke 390, RC200 & RC390 //M Motorbikes 99 27th April 2017 01:54
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200 theexperthand Motorbikes 340 5th April 2017 20:29
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family! ebonho Motorbikes 931 17th November 2015 16:02
The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200) Shubz Motorbikes 76 4th April 2013 10:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks