Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th April 2012, 15:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Orange KTM Duke 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
No I don't think so . It only air intake ,more over , the air is again blocked/filtered at air filter .
If you ask me its definitely going to affect the warranty, now it depends upon the service center people. If they want they can deny warranty. I will not suggest cutting the air intake without any testing but again i like to keep everything as stock as possible.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 15:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Black and Baddy, all of this has been discussed on my thread many pages back. Including some of the good points Baddy makes. Maybe you could check those posts out too.

The jury is still out there on the performance bit till we dyno both setups. Bajaj are understandably reluctant ....

Black, did you do a top speed run with the snorkel in place? How much?

Now do it same time of the day, same stretch, preferably wearing the same gear, and let us know how much you could manage please. I would be MOST interested in knowing. Be safe of course - always.

"Seat (and ear) Dyno" is often misleading. Attributional Bias.

Let us know ....
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 16:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
If you ask me its definitely going to affect the warranty, now it depends upon the service center people. If they want they can deny warranty. I will not suggest cutting the air intake without any testing but again i like to keep everything as stock as possible.

If they want to , they can deny warranty many other ways . If its logical and it works ,i don't think it should matter . The bike struggles to pick up in first 3 gears with such a long intake pipe .I can see immediate results ,the bike is much smoother now . The air is again filtered at filter .Where is point of warranty ? can you prove what is affected ? . I don't think bajaj is so unethical in their approach . Its like saying you modded seat or removed the mirror , I will deny you warranty !

Last edited by black12rr : 5th April 2012 at 16:11.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 16:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Black and Baddy, all of this has been discussed on my thread many pages back. Including some of the good points Baddy makes. Maybe you could check those posts out too.

The jury is still out there on the performance bit till we dyno both setups. Bajaj are understandably reluctant ....

Black, did you do a top speed run with the snorkel in place? How much?

Now do it same time of the day, same stretch, preferably wearing the same gear, and let us know how much you could manage please. I would be MOST interested in knowing. Be safe of course - always.

"Seat (and ear) Dyno" is often misleading. Attributional Bias.

Let us know ....
I don't think top speed will differ in duke because its limited by the RPM limiter @ 10,000 rpm. The difference can be there in the acceleration.

yes because of noise, it gives a impression that you are going faster but actually you aren't going any faster.

Quote:
If they want to , they can deny warranty many other ways . If its logical and it works ,i don't think it should matter . The bike struggles to pick up in first 3 gears with such a long intake pipe .I can see immediate results ,the bike is much smoother now . The air is again filtered at filter .Where is point of warranty ? can you prove what is affected ? . I don't think bajaj is so unethical in their approach . Its like saying you modded seat or removed the mirror , I will deny you warranty !
You are cutting off a component from air filter, i think its lot more than removing rear view mirror or seat. If they have made the intake that long then there will be a reason behind that may noise, emission or water entering the airbox. Bajaj is not very strict about the warranty terms as i could feel from the service center. But still it can be denied i am not saying they will deny for sure.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 5th April 2012 at 16:18.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 20:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Got the first service done at 700 kms . Oil and oil filter change .Gear shift is notably smoother . Oil was castrol active extra 20w50 mineral oil , will go in for synthetic later.No other corrections or changed parts available still .No updates from bajaj. When are they fixing the issues ?

One more mod done . Added bar end weights and softer hand grips .Earlier the handle bar was a eye sore and the grips prickly, now looks like a proper superbike

Last edited by black12rr : 7th April 2012 at 20:46.
Old 8th April 2012, 01:12   #21
BHPian

How did you add the bar end weights? Is the handlebar equipped to take them on? Is there any noticeable reduction in vibes with the weights added? Thanks.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 09:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:

One more mod done . Added bar end weights and softer hand grips .Earlier the handle bar was a eye sore and the grips prickly, now looks like a proper superbike
Good mod there black. I've been thinking of changing the grips ever since i got the bike, feels like my 8 year old pulsar every time i lay my hands on it "PRICKLY". Which one did u replace them with? i have the karizmas in my mind. And does the stock handle bar have provisions to mount the bar end weight??
baddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 10:32   #23
BHPian

Softer hand grips is a must as the stock are really a big pain.

Please do post the pics of mods, I am also looking for the similar kind of mods to make city riding comfortable.
Wind splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 13:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys ,I got hold of a local mechanic who did it for me , I removed the handle bar at home and took it to him and he did it for me .He welded a adapter inside . I got zma grips , and installed the grips and weights myself at home .Good luck removing the stock grips , because it is glued to the bar .Needs more time to remove them or easiest way is to take a blade and cut it .

The rear suspension was at 3 position , changed it to number 2 ,its smooth now ,could be better .I will change it to 1 and see how smooth it will be . I dont understand why it has to be 3 position from factory .Its way too hard for my liking .

Did a 60 kms run on weekend , the bike just flies , need a free flow exhaust to explore true potential .Rode a friend's R1 ,which is different league all together , but KTM felt more comfortable .

Next mod is extended grab rails + luggage rack .

Last edited by black12rr : 9th April 2012 at 13:19.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:00   #25
BHPian

The ZMA weights sit on a clamp inserted into the handlebar. The clamp locks itself into holes drilled into the handlebar and the screws are threaded into the clamp through the weight. The clamp rests on rubber bushes. All this together help dampen vibrations.

I'm curious to know how your mech fixed the clamp - if it was welded on to the bar, it will not resonate - and this will cause the bar-end weights to become sort of integral extensions of the handlebar, which will result in vibrations staying more or less the same as before.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 13:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Saw this luggage rack . Neatly done I believe .

My Orange KTM Duke 200-grabrailrrack.jpg
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 13:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

OMG, that looks horrible man, i wouldn't dare do such thing to my bike.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 13:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
OMG, that looks horrible man, i wouldn't dare do such thing to my bike.
Ha ha ,I am not in looks , Its purely functional to me . I love it . . The bike feels completed , rather than that feeling some thing was missing at rear .

My Orange KTM Duke 200-imag0930.jpg

Last edited by black12rr : 5th May 2012 at 13:53.
Old 5th May 2012, 14:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry bro but that is truly super ugly man, not to mention its bolted on to the grab rails which in turn are bolted on to the chassis. Not very strong. Would be much better bolting it on directly to the chassis in place of the grab rails. And not perched so high while we are it.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th May 2012 at 14:31.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 10:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr

Ha ha ,I am not in looks , Its purely functional to me . I love it . . The bike feels completed , rather than that feeling some thing was missing at rear .
Subjective, but I must go with the others, however functional it may be. Also, is that welded on? If it is actually welded, did you take the grab rails off the bike to have the thingy welded on, and wouldn't that fry the ECU? Pardon, but I had read in the manual of one of my previous bikes that even the CDI system can get damaged from welding, hence the question. I can't remember if the battery just had to be disconnected, or the part taken off before welding
VeluM is online now   Reply With Quote