Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 12:08   #256
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
But with a functioning ABS, the bike is not even supposed wash out! And regarding the stoppie thingy, there were even guys asking if it was a normal stoppie or a rolling stoppie!
It may be the ABS failed. More likely rider error. ABS is not a golden armor that protects a rider regardless of what he does.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 12:19   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It may be the ABS failed. More likely rider error. ABS is not a golden armor that protects a rider regardless of what he does.
Right. The doubt I still got is, does CBR's ABS system prevents the rear wheel to pop up when ONLY the front brake slammed aggressively in panic situation? Any accelerometers to sense the stoppies other than the bank sensors? Likes of the 1290 Super Duke comes with an separate anti-stoppie technology.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 11:02   #258
BHPian
 
Srini76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 114
Thanked: 68 Times
Smile Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Hello All,

Thrilled to announce that I finally acquired a CBR 250 on Monday the 26th. Its a used bike though - First registered in October 2012 and has 1800 km on the ODO to date. Tri Color with ABS and a registration of Tn xx xx 4600. I have a few questions as listed below and seek the suggestion of experts.

1. The chain I presume needs to be cleaned and lubed immediately.
2. I intend to change the OIL to fully synthetic and also change the oil filter - (if this is not recommended please do let me know)
3. The front brake fluid reservoir shows a little less than half of fluid, is it normal ? else will topup.
4. I have acquired a Keiti (Rossi) Tankpad and installing it today.

The ride has been standing for a few months and not used by the previous owner, would there be anything else that needs to be done right up such as changing anything else. I intend to post the tasks listed above also polish her once.

Seeking all inputs if anything else needs to be done.

Thanks,

Srinivas
Srini76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 12:03   #259
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,605 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post

1. The chain I presume needs to be cleaned and lubed immediately.
2. I intend to change the OIL to fully synthetic and also change the oil filter - (if this is not recommended please do let me know)
3. The front brake fluid reservoir shows a little less than half of fluid, is it normal ? else will topup.
1. Inspect the chain and use Motul Chain Clean to clean the chain. Spray the contents on the chain and wait for around 10-15 mins. If the chain is dirty all the muck will fall off.

Now use a lint free cloth (also free from loose threads so this does not entangle in the chain) and wipe the full length of the chain while turning the wheel. Never keep the engine running while cleaning or lubing the chain. You might lose your fingers if the gears are engaged.

To lube the chain, use Motul Chain Lube (road variant) and spray this on the chain while turning the wheel. Lube the inside and outside of the chain and on the links too. Leave aside for a few hours to allow the solvents to seep into the links.

2. Change oil to fully synthetic post 10,000 kms. You can switch to semi synth if required.

3. Top up the brake fluid reservoir and bleed the brakes if needed.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 12:41   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
The ride has been standing for a few months and not used by the previous owner, would there be anything else that needs to be done right up such as changing anything else. I intend to post the tasks listed above also polish her once.
To add to the above mentioned points, since the bike was completely idle for a month, get the battery checked and charged fully to be on the safe side. Also, check if anything unusual is popping up in the electrical side of the bike! Rodents can crawl up unnoticed into the faired parts and chew off the the wires, a common problem when a bike is kept unused!

Last but not the least.. Congrats on the acquisition of a wonderful machine! Ride safe.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 28th August 2013 at 12:53.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 12:57   #261
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 691 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Guys, just booked a Tricolour CBR 250 after contemplating the TB 500 as well. Since i wanted a factory fresh piece, will get mine after 10 days. I am a born again biker and am gifting this to myself for my 40th Birthday. I last rode a bike nearly 18 years back (used to have an army disposal recondition bullet 350 in college).

will share my experiences once i get the bike. I took a couple of test rides on the CBR and was blown away by how good this bike felt in all respects and when compared to the TB, i just couldnt justify to myself the money RE was asking for the TB- the fit and finish just cannot be compared.

any tips for a born again biker
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:08   #262
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,238
Thanked: 5,549 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

any tips for a born again biker
ATGATT: All the gear all the time.

Please invest in a good full face helmet and a crash jacket.
Knee protectors and good shoes are also highly recommended.

I would also advice getting your eyes tested.

Have fun.

If planning to ride with your better half, please get riding gear for her as well.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:13   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Guys, just booked a Tricolour CBR 250 after contemplating the TB 500 as well. Since i wanted a factory fresh piece, will get mine after 10 days. I am a born again biker and am gifting this to myself for my 40th Birthday. I last rode a bike nearly 18 years back (used to have an army disposal recondition bullet 350 in college).

will share my experiences once i get the bike. I took a couple of test rides on the CBR and was blown away by how good this bike felt in all respects and when compared to the TB, i just couldnt justify to myself the money RE was asking for the TB- the fit and finish just cannot be compared.

any tips for a born again biker
Congrats Himanshu! The New tricolour looks just awesom! Good choice!
Is it an ABS version?

True that TB500 doesnt come close to the CBR in fit and finish and smoothness! But ironically TB500 has the best finish and engine smoothness in the RE stable!

No major tips as you were a biker once! Use maximum riding gears all the time. Do read the service manual carefully. Do timely servicing and Chain cleaning/lubing every fortnight. And keep a check on the fluid levels (Oil, coolant, brake fluids) all the time (A friend's brand new CBR's cylinder kit had to be replaced because the service guys didnt top up the coolant and he didnt check the level!). Nothing much to do the Ceeber, its is a robust and proven machine! Welcome back to the biker world and do post the ownership experience!

Ride safe..
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:46   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 691 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Congrats Himanshu! The New tricolour looks just awesom! Good choice!
Is it an ABS version?

True that TB500 doesnt come close to the CBR in fit and finish and smoothness! But ironically TB500 has the best finish and engine smoothness in the RE stable!

No major tips as you were a biker once! Use maximum riding gears all the time. Do read the service manual carefully. Do timely servicing and Chain cleaning/lubing every fortnight. And keep a check on the fluid levels (Oil, coolant, brake fluids) all the time (A friend's brand new CBR's cylinder kit had to be replaced because the service guys didnt top up the coolant and he didnt check the level!). Nothing much to do the Ceeber, its is a robust and proven machine! Welcome back to the biker world and do post the ownership experience!

Ride safe..
thanks MoS

As a former Bulleteer, i expected more from the TD. but alas, it was not to be.....also the two things any hard core Buleteer will swear by- the riding posture and the "thump" are gone from the TB 500. As a college student i saw the nigggles of the Bull as charming Quirks- today i will just blow my top!! I want something reliable so i can concentrate on enjoying the ride..... Going by teh CBR reviews here, it seems to be a good choice. rest, time will tell
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:58   #265
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
thanks MoS

As a former Bulleteer, i expected more from the TD. but alas, it was not to be.....also the two things any hard core Buleteer will swear by- the riding posture and the "thump" are gone from the TB 500. As a college student i saw the nigggles of the Bull as charming Quirks- today i will just blow my top!! I want something reliable so i can concentrate on enjoying the ride..... Going by teh CBR reviews here, it seems to be a good choice. rest, time will tell
Well.. you are talking to a Bulleteer here. . And dont worry Ceeber is very reliable and coming from a bullet you would feel it almost perfectly trouble free! You will be amazed of the Ceeber's touring capability when you take it to its natural habitat.. The Highway!
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 10:02   #266
BHPian
 
Srini76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 114
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Thank you aditya for your inputs - I have used a cleaning spray to start with and done a short ride - will clean again a short ride, lube and leave overnight. I will go to the service station to check the brake fluid. Is there anyway to find if the existing fluid is DOT 3 or DOT 4. The reservoir states both can be used, Concerned cause I do not to mix both if they are not supposed to be.

Himanshu - Congratulations on your decision, I understand your decision process for I was almost in the same situation I am 37 - and an ex-bulleteer - Had a custom RE -350 as well (can be seen in my garage). The reason being reliability and the new gen RE does not have the same charm at-least for me. I hope you are going for the ABS version.

Please get good gear if you don't already have it, I have acquired a LS2 helmet, my old riding boots are there, Gloves with knuckle protection is available - I need to obtain a riding jacket atleast with a type 2 armor on it.

Good luck and Happy riding -

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 12:08   #267
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Is there anyway to find if the existing fluid is DOT 3 or DOT 4. The reservoir states both can be used, Concerned cause I do not to mix both if they are not supposed to be.
Dot 3 is dark in color whereas Dot 4 is very light or you can say it as transparent also. Yes, you can use any of them. Before changing over drain the reservoir and the full line also.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 23:43   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,352
Thanked: 1,360 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

All questions here are repeated; all these are well covered in the FAQ, 1st & 2nd post an year ago
aargee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 19:46   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 691 Times
Default

Got the CBR today. Delivery experience was way below par as the showroom fellows knew very little about the bike.

One mechanic said tyre pressure should be kept at 60psi!!!!!!! There is a misalignment of the mirrors which I need to get rectified

Kept it under 5k rpm on the ride back home. Will start an ownership thread once I do about 1k

Till then a couple of pics
Attached Images
  
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:50   #270
BHPian
 
Srini76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 114
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Congrats Himanshu, The ride looks fabulous - May you have tons of safe riding - Do get some good riding gear if you haven't already!!

Just a observation, in the second picture that you have posted - do I see a tank pad, if yes pardon my mentioning but the tank pad I am told needs to be pasted from the base of the tank where it meets the seat and upwards. This is to protect the tank from belt buckle made scuff marks etc. I have attached a pic on how I have installed it - If I am wrong please do correct me. I picked a rossi tank pad cause it matched my registration.

Tx - Srini
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-dsc03180.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-dsc03170.jpg  

Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda gives CBR 150R, CBR 250R new colours, decals for 2015 ashwin.terminat Motorbikes 23 31st October 2015 22:32
Honda recalls CBR 150R & CBR 250R for defective starter relay Added_flavor Motorbikes 0 15th August 2015 11:42
2014 Honda CBR 250R shares design with the recently unveiled CBR 300R JayPrashanth Motorbikes 6 25th October 2013 17:21
CBR 250R or CBR 600F2 sharad_kmc Superbikes & Imports 8 14th March 2013 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks