Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th April 2012, 23:54   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Guys help me select my fourth bike...

You haven't mentioned a budget limit ; and you have dismissed some very competent bikes like the Karizma (both ZMA and ZMR ), GS150 and CBZ-Xtreme - ride them before you putut them out of contention. They don't have the best styling or most modern whizz-bang features, but they do their job reliably and with minimal fuss. The Karizma is among the most comfortable bikes and has a good pillion seat. Personally I have a Pulsar 220 and happy with it , had a Karizma before this. Do test the Pulsar 220 and the new 200NS when it comes to showrooms , Bajaj is constantly improving their bikes.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 00:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Given your choices, I feel you are looking at relaxed riding and comfortable position. Let me make few recommendations:

Bajaj Discover 150: Its a competent bike with a nice relaxed riding position. And total VFM. Me too not a Bajaj fan but they have come a long way in the last 7-8 years.

Hero Hunk: Heard from reviews that it has a very nice riding position.

Yamaha RX 135: . Yes. Since you loved that bike, why not buy one and do a 'restoration' job?

IMO, don't go for royal enfield if you don't have plans of spending much time with her . The way I see it, owning a Royal Enfield is like having a girlfriend. It might require your time, money, energy. And they are not fuel efficient either.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 00:47   #18
BANNED

Few days back I've bought a Yamaha New 2012 FZ-S bike.
Its having almost many of its flaws ironed out, like
-Its having Wider & well padded seat, specifically the Pillion section.
-Its having different & Improved carburetor to provide better FE & Power.
Its exhaust note is also a bit more punchier now.
-Meter console background design pattern is different.
-Available in New color combinations.

For me its a good decision & I'm pretty satisfied with it, as I've upgraded from Pulsar 180 DTSi UG-III.
Prior to the latter I was having Pulsar 150 DTSi UG-III & even prior to it I've kept Honda Unicorn for 2 years.

Since, you're already upgrading from FZ, I guess you won't be opting for it again. But do have a look at it before finalizing your purchase.

Else go for Hero CBZ Xtreme. Its the next best 150cc bike available in the country but you'll miss the Yamaha's Racy Dynamics, Superior Quality & Low-end torque in HERO CBZ Xtreme/Hunk/Unicorn/Dazzler.
Also, the low end torque is poorest in the Honda's 150cc TITAN-series engine, which powers the last stated Hero & Honda bikes.
CRtorquefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 09:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Regarding the budget I am ready to spend around 1.5 lacks for a good bike.
Why aren't you looking at the Avenger 220 then? Very comfortable to ride and the pillion will be comfortable as well. All the bikes like R15, Impulse etc will always have the pillion slipping towards the rider during braking which is uncomfortable for both. If thats not the issue go for the new Honda CBR 150R. I took a test ride and am saving up to get one.
Altocumulus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 13:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
No it would not be for highways, it would mainly be city driving. For long drives i would prefer taking my swift any day.
Then I cannot think of any reason why you should go for an RE Thunderbird.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 15:42   #21
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
You haven't mentioned a budget limit ; and you have dismissed some very competent bikes like the Karizma (both ZMA and ZMR ), GS150 and CBZ-Xtreme - ride them before you putut them out of contention. They don't have the best styling or most modern whizz-bang features, but they do their job reliably and with minimal fuss. The Karizma is among the most comfortable bikes and has a good pillion seat. Personally I have a Pulsar 220 and happy with it , had a Karizma before this. Do test the Pulsar 220 and the new 200NS when it comes to showrooms , Bajaj is constantly improving their bikes.
I guess I will wait for Pulsar 200NS to hit the showrooms and even heard that Bajaj is coming up with a full faired version of pulsar 200 and this weekend will even try taking a test ride of GS150, thankyou for your suggestions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Given your choices, I feel you are looking at relaxed riding and comfortable position. Let me make few recommendations:

Bajaj Discover 150: Its a competent bike with a nice relaxed riding position. And total VFM. Me too not a Bajaj fan but they have come a long way in the last 7-8 years.

Hero Hunk: Heard from reviews that it has a very nice riding position.

Yamaha RX 135: . Yes. Since you loved that bike, why not buy one and do a 'restoration' job?

IMO, don't go for royal enfield if you don't have plans of spending much time with her . The way I see it, owning a Royal Enfield is like having a girlfriend. It might require your time, money, energy. And they are not fuel efficient either.
I had plans of buying a RX135 and getting it restored completely but dropped it because I hardly have time to do so, I am now looking for a new bike and have completely dropped plan of buying a used one...
Bajaj Discover 150: I am not happy with the looks it looks very plain and simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Few days back I've bought a Yamaha New 2012 FZ-S bike.
Its having almost many of its flaws ironed out, like
-Its having Wider & well padded seat, specifically the Pillion section.
-Its having different & Improved carburetor to provide better FE & Power.
Its exhaust note is also a bit more punchier now.
-Meter console background design pattern is different.
-Available in New color combinations.

For me its a good decision & I'm pretty satisfied with it, as I've upgraded from Pulsar 180 DTSi UG-III.
Prior to the latter I was having Pulsar 150 DTSi UG-III & even prior to it I've kept Honda Unicorn for 2 years.

Since, you're already upgrading from FZ, I guess you won't be opting for it again. But do have a look at it before finalizing your purchase.

Else go for Hero CBZ Xtreme. Its the next best 150cc bike available in the country but you'll miss the Yamaha's Racy Dynamics, Superior Quality & Low-end torque in HERO CBZ Xtreme/Hunk/Unicorn/Dazzler.
Also, the low end torque is poorest in the Honda's 150cc TITAN-series engine, which powers the last stated Hero & Honda bikes.
Will take test ride of CBZ and hunk this weekend for sure..... Thankyou for your suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Why aren't you looking at the Avenger 220 then? Very comfortable to ride and the pillion will be comfortable as well. All the bikes like R15, Impulse etc will always have the pillion slipping towards the rider during braking which is uncomfortable for both. If thats not the issue go for the new Honda CBR 150R. I took a test ride and am saving up to get one.
Thank you for your suggestion, I considered avenger but I felt its under powered for 220 and its too long and even the seating position is too low for city riding conditions(One of my friend owns an avenger 220 and I have borrowed it from him many times) its good as a cruiser for highways though...

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2012 at 16:13. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
vijay_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 19:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help me select my fourth bike?

If you want a comfortable reliable fuel efficient bike for city driving, which you will use only once in week or 2 weeks, why not go for good old Splendor/Splendor+ Or passion/Glamour/Gladiator etc.

These commuter bikes don't stress your wrists or shoulders and are comfortable.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 20:26   #23
BHPian

See the Pulsar 200NS. It seems to fit your requirements. Pulsar 200NS: xBhp's First Impression and ride report - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 00:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
If you want a comfortable reliable fuel efficient bike for city driving, which you will use only once in week or 2 weeks, why not go for good old Splendor/Splendor+ Or passion/Glamour/Gladiator etc.

These commuter bikes don't stress your wrists or shoulders and are comfortable.
Thank you for your suggestion, I dont want to buy a 100 or 125cc bike again so going back to splendor/splendor+ or any other bike is ruled out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Will surely try Pulsar 200NS once it hits the showroom and is ready for test drive.

BTW today while coming back from office i saw a Honda CBR250R, I was really impressed with the kind of pickup and the way he was comfortably riding it. So now, as if the soup in which I am in right now is not enough I have CBR in my mind
How about Honda CBR250r guys? Is it worth spending around 1.8 lakhs on that? I am ready to stretch my budget if its worth it. Earlier I heard that there were some quality issues with CBR but now has HMSI rectified it?
vijay_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 08:28   #25
BHPian

^^If you are looking for a city bike with a price cap of around 1.8 lakhs,then both the CBR and the Classic Chrome are good.
I have ridden the Desert Storm and the torque was addictive!
I did 50 Km/H in the first gear itself!It sounds awesome too
Attached Thumbnails
Help me select my fourth bike?-royalenfieldclassicchrome2.jpg  

Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 23:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
^^If you are looking for a city bike with a price cap of around 1.8 lakhs,then both the CBR and the Classic Chrome are good.
I have ridden the Desert Storm and the torque was addictive!
I did 50 Km/H in the first gear itself!It sounds awesome too
Thank you for your suggestion, even i considered buying RE TBTS and would love to own a RE Classic or Classic Chrome or TBTS any day but the only thing bothering me is RE quality issues, I donít want to get stuck somewhere with a leaking oil sump or with all electrical system blown out and God knows what kind of issues, thatís the reason I have ruled out RE completely.
One of my friend who brought a RE TBTS recently has battery drain out issues, itís like almost once in every 10 days the battery gets drained out completely and none of the lights or horn works nor the bike would start, then he has to get his bike transported to his house and then get the battery removed, charged, then it would be fine for another 10 days max. He has been to all RE Authorised SS in Bangalore but none of them have rectified the issue, or rather I feel none of them know what the issue is. In fact one Authorised SS replaced the battery and the alternator twice but still the issue is not resolved. After seeing all these horror stories I am not ready to invest on a RE.
BTW its high time RE resolves all these issue and brings out quality products, If not international players like Triumph, Harley Davidson would grab the market in no time, I hope Siddhartha Lal is listening to all these issues and is planning to improve the quality of all RE bikes.
vijay_k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 23:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then came Honda CB Unicorn, its comfortable commuter and a smooth reliable bike but my only concern is that Unicorn is in the market from quite a long time and it might be phased out in another year or so (just guessing) and Honda already has a replacement for this bike.
Vijay
I don't think the Unicorn will be phased out any time soon considering how it churns out in considerable numbers and is being bought as well. The Dazzler cannot really be considered a replacement to the Unicorn, rather it would be apt to call it a more "Niche" version of the Unicorn.
My bet would be on the Unicorn staying for a few more years. Besides, if the issue is spares, the Dazzler and Unicorn share most important components I guess. So spares should not be an issue in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Slightly OT: The CBZ Xtreme/Hunk's engine offers oodles of low end torque to leave behind most of the higher capacity bikes in your RVM. Or maybe it's just me. (A Hunk owner is bound to be slightly biased )
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote