Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th April 2012, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Default TBTS fuel meter not working

Hi friends,

I own a 2009 Thunderbird twinspark. last Sunday i got my beast serviced. Later i t got it refueled and then after sometime what i found is the fuel meter went kaput. No idea what might have gone wrong. Please let me know on this as to what might have caused the glitch and if the sensor / mechanism has to be replaced what would be the approximate cost.
Shashidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 21:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: TBTS fuel meter not working

I have no idea about the cost, but usually, for a fuel meter to not work, either the meter will be not working, or the float. Or the wiring.

As you have mentioned that the meter went kaput after refueling, check the float.

P.S: I do not know if this is how the Fuel Meter works in the TBTS. I have mentioned the usual process.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 18:35   #3
BHPian

Shake the bike just as we do to check the fuel and listen if there is any tuck tuck noise i.e. float gauge touching the fuel tank, in that case the float has gone kaput otherwise just get the wiring checked.
ricky_1605 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 22:28   #4
BHPian

In most of the cases where float type gauge is used - it's the puncture in float that becomes the reason of failure. Just get checked, I don't see any other reason.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 21:26   #5
BHPian

Friends Finally got the problem rectified after 2 weeks . Thanks to the shoddy soldering job done by RE mechanics one of the wire came loose shorting the circuit.

So in case any of you face a similar issue i recommend following procedure:

1) Open the socket below the tank which connects the fuel gauge to the fuel meter on the console.
>> using a small wire complete the circuit for the fuel meter (not the gauge one). If there is any movement in the fuel meter needle you can conclude that the problem is with the fuel gauge.

If there is no movement in the gauge needle go to step 2

2) Open up the headlight assembly and the speedo/tacho console and also the chrome covers (in case of tbts) using an ammeter check for the wire integrity for the wire which connects to the fuel gauge socket below the tank to the fuel meter, this is in 2 stages :
a. from the tank socket to the socket which connects to the fuel gauge and
b. the socket which connects to the fuel gauge to actual the fuel gauge
In my case the issue was found with the soldering in case b. above which was easily rectified.

if the above doesn't help (i.e. wires intact) then proceed below

3) Open the tacho console housing the fuel meter and check for the error. I have heard from my mechanic that there might be a possibility that the needle getting stuck to the stopper due to heat.

4) If nothing above works simply change the whole speedo/tacho console which costs a bomb (Rs 4000/-)

But looking at the state of the wires on my just 2 yr old bike i think in the longer run there would be a lot of chances of me spending my weekends at the mechanics shed as was the case before with my 1970 RE std bull.

Also, friends for the past 2 weeks i was facing a problem with dimming headlamp/horn and the battery not able to able to operate the starter motor. Initially i thought there might be a problem with the alternator but my mechanic said (on the phone) with the new gen RE engines this might be a remote possibility then i thought it would have to do something with the starter moter relay then i took it to the mechanic shed. he checked the battery condition with all the electricals like the headlamp , hors indiacators etc using an ammeter it was okay. The he directed the batterey to the starter motor using a thick wire bypassing the relay and the fuse, the motor wont budge. then he removed the motor and checked using a big battery he had, still no response from the motor. the he opened up the motor and i was horrified to see that the carbon brush inside the motor was completely disintegrated (burnt) he replaced it cleaned the whole assembly and checked for any eddy current losses with the rotor shaft and after he reassembled it, It started working like new again.

One last thing is please check for the distilled water levels inside you battery (especially in the summers), in my case if was completely empty that was the reason why it was not able to hold on to the charge.

So for me 3 issues solved: 1) Starter motor 2) fuel meter and 3) batterey

Sorry for the long post. thought it might be useful for anybody facing similar issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I have no idea about the cost, but usually, for a fuel meter to not work, either the meter will be not working, or the float. Or the wiring.
Sir thank you for the inputs it really helped

ricky_1605 thank you for the input. i tried it but was not able to hear the tuck tuck sound.

i74js thank you for the input.
Shashidl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote