Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th April 2012, 13:05   #31
BHPian

Default re: TVS launching a new bike. EDIT : It's the Apache Facelift

Sigghhh, what a damp squib.

There was a time when TVS introduced very competitive bikes like Shogun. Was it Suzuki, was it TVS, I dont know. But they had red blood flowing in their veins that time when they wanted to usurp Yamaha RX 100 from its throne.

Now TVS as well as Suzuki have completely lost the plot. Just take a look at the lawn mowers they are making these days!

With the "new beast" they are just looking to target teenyboppers and "all show" crowd - unfortunately a segment which actually sells these days (ala MTV roadies - why is it even called that, anyone knows?)
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 13:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the spy pics I am mighty glad i got the 2011 RTR180 and did not wait for this hideous monstrosity (beast - yeah right!!). Gone is the subtlety in styling, the beautiful racing stripe, the tight and flowing looks. It has lost everything with this iteration. The graphics on the tank in place of the racing stripe is too wide and garish, the headlight somehow does not seem to gel well with the rest of the bike, though it is good they have maintained the rear as it is. And to top it all TVS has added more bits and pieces to the already vibey engine to make them rattle and fall all over the place!!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 14:24   #33
BHPian

I own a RTR 180 and there is nothing much to write home about...either handling or engine refinement. In fact I am glad TVS is not jumping onto the 250 wagon as I believe they still have a long way to go on R&D front. Their 180 is engine is extremely unrefined, jerky at low throttle inputs and very coarse at high RPMs. I seriously hope they slowly but steadily refine their smaller engines and then go higher up. A lot of you might be disappointed that they are not releasing a 250 but its for your own good, you dont want to end up with a mongrel with just a 250 badge on it d you ?
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 14:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
A lot of you might be disappointed that they are not releasing a 250 but its for your own good, you dont want to end up with a mongrel with just a 250 badge on it d you ?
Kinda sad but well said!

My friend has the RTR 160 and I thought it was a decent bike. But looks like TVS has a long way to go. Catch up! is going to take some time
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 15:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
I own a RTR 180 and there is nothing much to write home about...either handling or engine refinement... Their 180 is engine is extremely unrefined, jerky at low throttle inputs and very coarse at high RPMs.
What model is the RTR180 you own? I have the 2011 model and have completed 12k kms on it. Yes it was vibey and coarse for the initial 3000kms. But after that, the refinement is very much acceptable for an over-square short stroke motor. Of course its no honda or yamaha when it comes to refinement but it is definitely not a deal breaker.

Coming to handling, not sure how you would define good handling, but it is a point and shoot type of machine and direction changes are very quick. The damper in all this is the pathetic TVS tyres which they are shod with. Change them and you will notice handling improves a lot.
Old 19th April 2012, 15:39   #36
BHPian

Question re: TVS launching a new bike. EDIT : It's the Apache Facelift

Guys, is it just me or does anyone see any resemblance in the spy pics to the teaser image??
nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 17:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Just observed that the tank cowls resemble that of the HH Hunk's. And looks like TVS finally decided to offer more colour choices for the ABS Version of the Apache(Black in this case, check the 3rd last pic on Page 2 on the right tank cowl)
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 18:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Just observed that the tank cowls resemble that of the HH Hunk's.
Aha! Thanks for bringing it to my memory mate! i was sure there was one other bike with similar tank cowls but was not able to put my mind to it. You are right. Though not identical, it is very close to the resemblance of the hunks tank cowl now. And i guess this is only for RTR180ABS. Coz the 160 brochure is saw has dual color on the cowls.
Old 19th April 2012, 19:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Aha! Thanks for bringing it to my memory mate! i was sure there was one other bike with similar tank cowls but was not able to put my mind to it. You are right. Though not identical, it is very close to the resemblance of the hunks tank cowl now. And i guess this is only for RTR180ABS. Coz the 160 brochure is saw has dual color on the cowls.
Haha. You're welcome. I'm bound to know if something looks similar to a bike I've ridden for 11k kilometers!

And I think it's a good thing, showcasing the ABS version a bit more to make sure one can distinguish it easily from a Non-ABS RTR180.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 23:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Here are some clearer shots and a Teaser Video

Source
Attached Thumbnails
TVS launching a new bike. EDIT : It's the Apache Facelift-35500_416659585029197_161251870569971_1517492_1438564239_n.jpg  

Attached Images

Scorcher is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 12:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

The first teaser pic reminds me of the new Docomo ad: "Photo paas se liya hai uncle!"

The close up pic of the two pilot lights looked like the double-barrel headlights on fairing-equipped bikes like the Yamaha R15 and Fazer. Need better daytime pics with the lights switched off to truly see what it looks like. Something tells me they're very pleased with the design of the pilot lights
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 12:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
What model is the RTR180 you own? I have the 2011 model and have completed 12k kms on it. Yes it was vibey and coarse for the initial 3000kms. But after that, the refinement is very much acceptable for an over-square short stroke motor. Of course its no honda or yamaha when it comes to refinement but it is definitely not a deal breaker.

Coming to handling, not sure how you would define good handling, but it is a point and shoot type of machine and direction changes are very quick. The damper in all this is the pathetic TVS tyres which they are shod with. Change them and you will notice handling improves a lot.
OT try premium petrol. I feel it far better and engine more crisper.

The bike looks cool and hope its a 250. Hope not old wine in new bottle.

Another video
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...52302994827643

Last edited by jkdas : 20th April 2012 at 12:33.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 13:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The bike looks cool and hope its a 250. Hope not old wine in new bottle.
It is not a 250 or 220, its just a revamped 160 & 180.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 13:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

A real disappointment indeed. I was hoping that TVS is coming up with a proper competitor to the Pulsar 200NS(which seems very promising). But, alas that is untrue.

May be TVS has a 250 which it is working upon and it is trying to buy some time with this fake upgrade to its existing range,just my opinion though.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 15:04   #45
BHPian

How many dislikes for this God-awful mod-job?

There's a guy in my locality who can do better paint-job than this. Seems the competition droveTVS go completely crazy; this new bike shows they have no imagination left at all. It's far more worse than Hero Honda mod-jobs!

Everything is a mess here. The faux-CFF bits hit a new rock-bottom in terms of ugliness. What a shame, TVS!

Source/Pic-Xbhp
Attached Images

Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote