Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th June 2007, 01:55   #31
BHPian

Hi,

Since its a brand new bike don't do any mods untill the bike is at least a year old or has done at least 10,000Kms, Unicorn is a sweet bike and i think its performance is upto the mark, by the way if you are so much interested you can try fixing a K&N conical filter or any other performance filter and re jetting the carb and a well tunned free flow exhaust will definetly help.
And i would suggest you not to increase the size of the tyres cause it will strain the engine and the performance will drop, mainly the initial pickup and the top end will suffer, stick on to the stock tyre specs and try to get better quality rubber like Michelin or any other good brands and you can definetly go for good alloys it will actually reduce the weight of the bike.
Play around with different set of sprockets both in the front as well as rear.
If you want any other info like details of good performance mechanics in Bangalore PM me i will definetly help you.
vijay_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 11:00   #32
BHPian

Default Body kits??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Cosmetic changes wont last. You can try imported body kits. Get a good guy to do it, else will look ugly. Bigger Jets increase the fuel volume to the engine, increasing the power output.
mail4ajo: Where I can get imported body kits?? how much it costs??
What are all come with the body kits??

please give me some informations.
rahul20_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 15:06   #33

planning to do a mod on my CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Hi,

Since its a brand new bike don't do any mods untill the bike is at least a year old or has done at least 10,000Kms, Unicorn is a sweet bike and i think its performance is upto the mark, by the way if you are so much interested you can try fixing a K&N conical filter or any other performance filter and re jetting the carb and a well tunned free flow exhaust will definetly help.
And i would suggest you not to increase the size of the tyres cause it will strain the engine and the performance will drop, mainly the initial pickup and the top end will suffer, stick on to the stock tyre specs and try to get better quality rubber like Michelin or any other good brands and you can definetly go for good alloys it will actually reduce the weight of the bike.
Play around with different set of sprockets both in the front as well as rear.
If you want any other info like details of good performance mechanics in Bangalore PM me i will definetly help you.
planning to do a mod on my CBF150 too. I'm in singapore. checked with the honda distributor here but they said that there are no choice when it comes to sprockets for the CBF150. (only comes with original 14teeth front & 42teeth rear).

What combo shld I use for a higher top speed cos i ride on the highway most of the time. Does Unicorn in India has the original sprocket sets in diff sizes?

Looking for 40teeth or 41teeth rear, 15 teeth front. Please help me...
kurupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 20:06   #34
BHPian

Mail4ajo, please tell me a good mechanic in chennai for the performance changes for my Uniccorn bike thks in advance.
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 11:17   #35

Default Modifying an rr150 (unicorn Dazzler)

Hello everyone,
I live in Vietnam, and I have a brand new Honda rr150, which is essentially a Unicorn Dazzler. I'm posting here because there's not any community here that knows much about the bike and everyone on team-bhp seems to really know what they're talking about.
I read this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/newthr...newthread&f=21
It was very useful thanks, but my situation and parameters are a little different and I hope you can help me.

The RR150 is made by Honda Wuyang, and it's basically a rebadged dazzler as far as I can tell. Here's a spec sheet in Chinese (you can use google to translate):
Honda ????150

I bought my bike brand new 2 months ago, but warranties don't really exist in Vietnam so I'm free to do with this bike what I will.
I can't buy a larger capacity bike because in Vietnam bikes over 150cc require big bribes etc.. so this was the best bike I could find that I could register easily. Also I really like the look of the dazzler.
With that said, once the bike is registered, we are allowed to bore the engine out to a larger capacity.

I love the bike but I'm looking for more performance. Overall HP increase would be nice, but acceleration is my main priority. I weigh 100kg and often ride with my wife so I find the bike lacking a little from 0-60.
So my question is: What modifications can I do that will improve performance, bearing in mind that this bike is virtually new? I don't mind if the bike goes through a bit more fuel as a result of the mods, but I don't want to greatly increase wear and tear and certainly don't want performance to decrease. I would be happy to spend up to $2000 initially.

My initial thoughts are that the Honda 150cc engine would be one of the most common out there, so there must be a wealth of knowledge on the best performance tweaks for it. However I can't find anything. I read a suggestion somewhere that for a brand new bike of 150cc it would be hard to do anything other than harm or at least no significant improvement. I hope that's not true.
Also the exhaust is very long and I wonder if a low restriction exhaust would help. It would also be nice to have a racier sound but this is secondary to my desire for more performance and I certainly don't want it to be annoyingly loud for everyone else.
Although I've been riding bikes for some time I'm new to the idea of modding, so apologies for my ignorance if the above ideas aren't sound.

Thanks for your help on this. Your expert advice will help set me off in the right direction to do further research of my own.
maliusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 14:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Modifying an rr150 (unicorn Dazzler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliusmaximus View Post
Hello everyone,
I live in Vietnam, and I have a brand new Honda rr150, which is essentially a Unicorn Dazzler. I'm posting here because there's not any community here that knows much about the bike and everyone on team-bhp seems to really know what they're talking about.

Don't know if this will help, but hope it does:

RaceConcepts comes up with big bore kits for the Honda Unicorn, Dazzler, Hunk, CBZ X-treme and Impulse! | IndianCarsBikes.in

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2012 at 14:30. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 15:09   #37

Default Re: Planning to modify a new Unicorn

Thanks yes I read that link a while ago and had a look at their site. It doesn't seem that the Unicorn kit is offered anymore. If I'm mistaken though, is boring out a new Honda engine necessarily a good thing? I read that Honda's engines are quite well tuned, and if not done right, engine mods can reduce performance on a new engine. Would this also be the case with a bore kit? What will be the result of this mod and what other adjustments would I need to make (say to jetting etc..) to rebalance everything and see a good increase?
Old 27th July 2012, 19:05   #38

Sorry for double post, seems I can't edit. I've been reading about boring out an engine and it seems a lot of things need to be taken into account. I read some enlightening but really technical posts by this guy teflon-mike: honda cg 125 big bore kits - Bike Chat Forums
and it seems like bore size increases are extraordinarily complicated. I may be wrong, and please tell me if I am, but it seems that just increasing bore size in a new engine will result in a marginal improvement, greatly increased wear, and a requirement for a swathe of other adjustments.
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:13   #39

Anyone? Thanks again for the advice about boring out but I'm worried now that this isn't a good idea for a brand new bike. Can anyone recommend performance mods for a new bike that don't severely affect longevity?
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliusmaximus View Post
Anyone? Thanks again for the advice about boring out but I'm worried now that this isn't a good idea for a brand new bike. Can anyone recommend performance mods for a new bike that don't severely affect longevity?
since your not from here,i doubt if bike modifiers are ready to ship items to your place.
but do join xbhp.com ,there are some folks from around your place and other S.E Asian countries who have similar interests and have done extensive mods.

Also on a side note,you can get a FFE and filter to start off with and after a year,you can jump to re-boring and.

Last edited by ariendj : 3rd August 2012 at 15:50.
ariendj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:32   #41

Thanks for the link to the other site. The reason I'm posting here is that there's a lot of knowledge on this forum about the unicorn dazzler. I'm just seeking technical advice on the best mods for this particular bike, bearing in mind its new. Once I understand better, I'll start thinking about sourcing parts etc.. here.
FFE and filter were the first thoughts that I had, but nobody I've asked has been able to give me a definitive answer whether its a good thing. As far as I can understand it, since the engine is naturally aspirated 4-stroke, with a carb and not fuel injection, lowering air resistance is a straight performance gain, with no compromise at all. Backpressure is not required as its not a 2-stroke engine. If this is correct, will I also need to re-tune the engine afterwards? Does this affect longevity?
Also, I can't find any existing air-filter. Is that simply the hole leading into the carb?
Sorry, I'm totally new to all of this. Thanks for your help.