Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th March 2013, 15:08   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Well it's to early to comment on the behaviour. Need to munch few more kms and will surely update it here. Btw what bike do you own? I couldn't find Michelin's for my rear :-( that's why went with Ceat cos I found MRF's to be hard.
I have a first gen Pulsar 180 which I've modified with UG3's swingarm, suspension and wheel set up.
So I've got the stock sized tires in 17 inches.
hiren.mistry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 17:42   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Sure pal, and thanks for the rates. Let me check if it is the same in my locality.
Eagerly waiting for the weekend to hunt for the rubbers
I am yet to find the tyres mentioned. Did a search in changemytyre and the Michelins are out of stock. In that website, there is no mention of the older unicorn, they just have the CB versions.

I own the older version, the one with the spokes. Now what is the size of the Front and Rear tyres I need to look for ? Any possibility of a upsize ?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 22:40   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Changed tyres for my Gen 1 Pulsar 200 as the MRF's have developed cracks. It is going to be 5 years of ownership in another couple of months with the Odo @ 19k kms. Went in with the stock tyre sizes itself as I did not want to remove the chain guard for an upsize.

Michelin Pilot Sporty 90/90 17 Rs. 1650
Ceat Vertigo Rage 120/80 17 Rs.2200

Michelin comes with a 3 year warranty :-)
Any updates on the grip provided by your tyres especially the Ceat Vertigo Rage. There is lot of information about the other tyre of Ceat - Vertigo sports but not about rage. I feel the Rage should be better with on-road grip.

I would request your feedback on Vertigo Rage on:
1) Hard braking.
2) Hard cornering.
3) Wet grip.
4) Hard acceleration.
5) Over rubble and sand found on pavement.

I know I am asking too much but your feedback will help others like me a lot.

Thanks
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 10:32   #184
BHPian

Hi guys, I checked on changemytyres for the availability of both rear and front tire for my APACHE RTR 160. Following are the options I have got. Kindly suggest which should be the best based on your experience. My riding will be on tarred 'Bangalore' roads and I need confidence inspiring wet handling!

Front:
1. Michelin Pilot Sporty tubeless
2. MRF ZFS tubeless

Rear:
1. Michelin REINF SIRAC STREET(R) Tube Type
2. MRF Zapper C Tube Type
3. MRF Nylo Grip Tube Type
4. Ceat SECURA SPORT Tube Type
5. Michelin PILOT SPORTY Tubeless
6. MRF ZFS Tubeless

I was surprised to see so many options! Kindly advise.
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 17:36   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Kindly advise.
Hey MotoNanu, I'm an RTR owner and would like to share my inputs that may be useful to you. Among the options that you have listed, I have first hand experience with Michelin Pilot Sporty(in 100/90 R18 size) at the rear. I changed the stock TVS tyres to Pilot Sporty and the difference was huge. Grip levels improved by leaps and bounds and straight line stability was also better. Used it for approx 14,000kms before changing to MRF MoGrip. The only negative was the life of the tire, which I felt was a bit low @ 14,000kms.

At the front, I was using Zapper FY which was the OE tire for R15 v1. It was pretty good and I'm still running on it. You may also consider the new R15's front tire which is slightly wider.
BigBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 18:05   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Hey MotoNanu, I'm an RTR owner and would like to share my inputs that may be useful to you.
thanks for the inputs BigBrad. You too own a RTR160? So these tires do fit perfectly.
Old 30th March 2013, 05:46   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Used it for approx 14,000kms before changing to MRF MoGrip. The only negative was the life of the tire, which I felt was a bit low @ 14,000kms.
How is your experience with MRF Mogrip. I plan to install the same in my RTR 180.

Does michelin india manufacture Tubeless tyres? When I last surfed their site it said for India they manufacture only Tubetype tyres.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 00:34   #188
BHPian

My answers for your questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I would request your feedback on Vertigo Rage on:
1) Hard braking.
With combined braking it's confidence inspiring.
2) Hard cornering.
It's been long since I took up such curves with ease :-)
3) Wet grip.
Not yet tested.
4) Hard acceleration.
No problem as such.
5) Over rubble and sand found on pavement.
Rode on complete sand and did not find any difficulties.

Hope this helps and btw my tyres are tubeless.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 31st March 2013 at 00:37.
smrtdvl is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 03:04   #189
BHPian

I have a Suzuki Fiero and its due for a tire change. Currently I am on stock size MRF zappers, which are OK. I am planning to up-size, so would be correct up-size options in the 18" rim size?

PS: I have a RTR swing arm. Whats the max size it can take?

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 12:21   #190
BHPian

I just fitted 100/90 michelin in front and 120/80 MRF Zapper C at the rear on my Pulsar 180 UG2. I must say the michelin performs "horribly" as compared to the MRF zapper which came stock. "Horrible" is the word!..the tyre squeals from 60-0 under hard braking that too in the hot Delhi weather right now, forget wet conditions. its kinds squealing every time I brake hard. Coming from MRF zapper. i am just not used to it!

isnt it supposed to grip better as i have upzised the front tire to 100/90? I am I missing somehting here? the grip pattern of the michelin (front) is sonething like this >||< I thought Michelins were "the" tyres to go for.

I went for this as someone told me you can stoppie easily on this. Forget stoppie, this seems to refuse to even stop! :-O

Tire Pressures are 25 psi/35 psi. Any ideas? just done about 200 kms and I feel like throwing it out!

Note from Support - Please avoid using dots in between words in your post as it makes for a difficult read. Kindly also refrain from using SMS lingo and short forms. Coz and other such words are not allowed and need to be typed in Full and Proper English such as because. Preview your post before submitting it, please.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th April 2013 at 12:39. Reason: dotty post and acronyms corrected.
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 12:43   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
I just fitted 100/90 michelin in front and 120/80 MRF Zapper C at the rear on my Pulsar 180 UG2. I must say the michelin performs "horribly" as compared to the MRF zapper which came stock. "Horrible" is the word!..the tyre squeals from 60-0 under hard braking that too in the hot Delhi weather right now...forget wet conditions. its kinds squealing every time I brake hard..coming from MRF zapper...i am just not used to it!

isnt it supposed to grip better as i have upzised the front tire to 100/90? I am I missing somehting here? the grip pattern of the michelin (front) is sonething like this >||< I thought Michelins were "the" tyres to go for...

I went for this coz someone told me you can stoppie easily on this ...forget stoppie...this seems to refuse to even stop! :-O TP are 25 psi/35 psi...any ideas? just done about 200 kms and I feel like throwing it out!

You have done a wrong upsize at the front which has changed the dynamics of the bike terribly resulting in all the problems you are facing. You mentioned that yours is a UG2. Assuming the front wheels are alloys, 90/90 is the size which will give you maximum contact patch . With 100/90 the tyre is more bulged out for the "rim width",resulting in a narrower contact patch and hence the squealing and instability!

A couple of other reasons can also result in the squealing.

1.Application of the tyre- Is the tyre you purchased meant for front tyre application? What is the tyre model name? Is the tyre correctly mounted in the direction of rotation?

2.Age of the tyre- For motorcycle tyres, the thumb rule is to never purchase tyres that are older than 8 months.Any thing older than 1 year should not be touched !Check the manufacturing date on the tyre sidewall. It will be written in MMYY format - 1012 -meaning the tyre was manufactured on the 12th week of 2012!

Also the tyre pressure at rear is too high at 35. Keep it at 30 PSI ! Front , you can keep it @ 27PSI

Last point - Tyres need running in. They dont perform at their peak when you start using them. They need to be "scrubbed" on the road for around 400 kms! Complete around 500 kms and then see if the performance has improved!

Tyre pressure plays a highly important role in determining the grip of the tyre , especially in 2 wheelers! Make sure you get the pressure checked and set properly using a accurate tyre pressure gauge
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 14:36   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I own the older version, the one with the spokes. Now what is the size of the Front and Rear tyres I need to look for ? Any possibility of a upsize ?
Mate,
Honda Unicorn came shod with 18 inch tires initially. The front was 2.75*18 and the rear was 100/90*18. These tires are very much available without any perceived shortage.
You can stick to MRF or if you are looking for any fancy tires, Michelin M45's must be a good fit.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:06   #193
BHPian

Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You have done a wrong upsize at the front which has changed the dynamics of the bike terribly resulting in all the problems you are facing. You mentioned that yours is a UG2. Assuming the front wheels are alloys, 90/90 is the size which will give you maximum contact patch . With 100/90 the tyre is more bulged out for the "rim width",resulting in a narrower contact patch and hence the squealing and instability!

Thats strange coz the (tubeless) tyre is made for a 17 inch alloy, shouldnt the dynamics be taken care of? (unless the blokes have fitted a rear tyre in the front! Is there a way I can find out? )

My bike is the bikini fairing edition launched after the round head light classics. Both the speedo and tacho are analog.

A couple of other reasons can also result in the squealing.

1.Application of the tyre- Is the tyre you purchased meant for front tyre application? What is the tyre model name? Is the tyre correctly mounted in the direction of rotation?

The tyre guy said so, how do i confirm?

2.Age of the tyre- For motorcycle tyres, the thumb rule is to never purchase tyres that are older than 8 months.Any thing older than 1 year should not be touched !Check the manufacturing date on the tyre sidewall. It will be written in MMYY format - 1012 -meaning the tyre was manufactured on the 12th week of 2012!

its a 2013 batch

Also the tyre pressure at rear is too high at 35. Keep it at 30 PSI ! Front , you can keep it @ 27PSI

i'll reduce it and check

Last point - Tyres need running in. They dont perform at their peak when you start using them. They need to be "scrubbed" on the road for around 400 kms! Complete around 500 kms and then see if the performance has improved!

fingers crossed

Tyre pressure plays a highly important role in determining the grip of the tyre , especially in 2 wheelers! Make sure you get the pressure checked and set properly using a accurate tyre pressure gauge

Thank you so much for your insights! By normal standards, how would you rate Michelin tyres among MRF, Ceat etc?

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 25th April 2013 at 15:08.
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:31   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Thank you so much for your insights! By normal standards, how would you rate Michelin tyres among MRF, Ceat etc?
90/90 is the size which will give you maximum contact patch . With 100/90 the tyre is more bulged out for the "rim width",resulting in a narrower contact patch and hence the squealing and instability!

Even though the rim is 17" you can't fit tyre of any size onto it!That depends on the width of the rim.If you observe the rear rim width is more than the front one! Ever wondered if you can fit the 120/80-17 zapper C at the front ?

Application of the tyre- Is the tyre you purchased meant for front tyre application? What is the tyre model name? Is the tyre correctly mounted in the direction of rotation?

The tyre guy said so, how do i confirm?

Check the tyre for the model name!

There will be a arrow mark on the side wall . The tyre should rotate in that direction only

Michelin is good. But MRF is also catching up by doling out sticky tyres! Michelin tyres made in Thailand are high grip ones. The made in india ones are hard compound and less grip. Check the side wall for the manufacturing country
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:35   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
It will be written in MMYY format - 1012 -meaning the tyre was manufactured on the 12th week of 2012!
Could not understand what you mentioned! Can you please elaborate on how to deduce the manufactured date? TIA!