Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle tyre shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
MRF Zapper C

Application:Rear tyre
Commonly used sizes : 140/70R17
Costs approx : Not sure

This size is stock size for CBR 250R; not experienced in using, but from my inquiry, dealer says its radial, but, I think its still cross ply. Excellent tread pattern to vent out water & hence good on wet/rains & avoid hydroplaning to a great extent than competitors.

Pros:
Excellent tread pattern
Ideal for rain/wet weather

Cons:
Not sure how it performs on dry weather
My review (140/70-R17) after using it for over 20000 Km
- Wears less than Contigo
- Marginally better than Contigo in terms of grip & confidence
- Higher quality than Contigo
--> It's NOT tubeless tire
- It's been 3 attempts to fix the puncture/air leaks in my CBR 250R in last 12000+ Km for no apparent reason the air looses it's inflation. There's no specific pattern on which the air is lost. It's quite erratic; sometimes it looses the air in just 2 days, sometimes the air is retained even after 10-15 days & then it looses again.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 19:09   #257
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Hello experts need your advice!

I have a R15 V1. Off late both the tires in my bike have started losing pressure very rapidly. That is for every day there is a loss of 5- 8 psi. I took it to the puncture shop and found that there is absolutely no punctures whatsoever.
Finally found that the air is leaking through the area between the rim and the tire.
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-puncture.jpg
I thought the problem is due to the alloys and I replaced the old one with a new alloy wheel but still the problem continues. First it was present only in my front tire now the rear tire has also started to lose pressure.

Please suggest me on what I can do to rectify this problem.

Note to Mods: If it is off topic or not appropriate, please remove the post.
bullet-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 20:46   #258
BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

How did you confirm that the tyre is not loosing air? Did you remove it and dip it properly in water to confirm? If yes and still there was no leak, then I suggest check your air valves for dirt and you can also remove the tyre and remove any rust at the wheel rim surface where the tyre seats.

Other than the two I can't see any reason why it should loose pressure.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 10:52   #259
BHPian

Yes. It was first checked with soap water and then immersed into water also to make sure of the leak. And about the rust cleaning part, did that also in the old alloy before replacing, didn't help though.
bullet-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 15:46   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
Yes. It was first checked with soap water and then immersed into water also to make sure of the leak. And about the rust cleaning part, did that also in the old alloy before replacing, didn't help though.

There is nothing much you can do other than replacing the tyre. Even i faced the same problem with the R15 front tyre. It started losing air from rim join. So to compensate that i used to pill in 4-5 PSI extra. One day last year some junk fellow filled in 40+ PSI at the front and it was raining lightly and i skidded and had a bad injury. not worth it at all. Just replace the tyre with a new one and be safe rather than sorry.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 19:05   #261
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Continental to introduce low-cost, One Channel ABS in India

After the epic rotten tires from Contigo on CBR 250R, not just once, but twice, I'll never ever go with Conti in my life. To me, Conti is a biggest insult to the famous tagline "German Engineering"

God knows how many more glitches will arise with this new area that they're stepping into. I'd bet my money on Standard brakes than ABS from Conti

More news here - http://www.drivespark.com/two-wheele...rs-005207.html

Last edited by aargee : 31st July 2013 at 19:10.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:00   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Aargee, you sure have strong opinions
Free country ain't it ?

Quote:
But don't you think judging one product on the basis of another product which is totally unrelated is a bit illogical?
Despite talking to Conti & giving feedbacks, Conti did nothing to improvise; quite sad there aren't enough competitors to make the specific model & size

Quote:
I sure may be biased, because I work for Continental and specifically as a vehicle test engineer for ABS development
Sure, you can't talk ill about where you work hehe

Quote:
But ABS or ESC is not something new for Continental
So was their experience with tires, but it turned out real rotten ones

Last edited by aargee : 1st August 2013 at 17:01.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:35   #263
BHPian

Quote:
So was their experience with tires, but it turned out real rotten ones
To be honest, I have had no experience with Conti tyres. But I think Conti is much better at making passenger car and commercial vehicle tyres. I see them on almost every high-end German car and almost every single truck in Europe.

Even my colleagues in Frankfurt who do a lot of track days consider Dunlops as the best motorcycle tyres they could buy (not to say Dunlops are the best, I have no clue about race motorcycle tyres, but just to indicate that they themselves don't prefer Conti's tyres).

Off-topic, but are Continental tyres OE on the CBR? Or did you buy them after-market and make a blunder?
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 19:11   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, I have had no experience...that they themselves don't prefer Conti's tyres)
That summarizes all for my experiences with Conti

Quote:
Off-topic, but are Continental tyres OE on the CBR? Or did you buy them after-market and make a blunder?
OE (and still) + we were early CBR owners, had to learn everything through trial & error otherwise, we wouldn't have this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions)
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 19:53   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That summarizes all for my experiences with Conti

OE (and still) + we were early CBR owners, had to learn everything through trial & error otherwise, we wouldn't have this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions)
Continental two wheeler tyres are very bad. Their passenger tyres are top notch and are OEM of Mercedes and Audi.

I have continental tyres on our Flyte. Dry grip is ok ok. Wet grip is horrible. It tends to skid at the slightest of wetness
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:51   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have continental tyres on our Flyte. Dry grip is ok ok. Wet grip is horrible. It tends to skid at the slightest of wetness
Basics Sagar, Sell an under-performing tire and then roll out a new product to make it look better

But rk_sans did have a good life with Conti, think it lasted a good 30K which included a trip to the holy mecca of motorcycling (Leh-Ladakh).
Have not had a direct experience so will reserve my comments on it.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:03   #267

TVS tyres are the worst on can get, recently about a year ago my bike's front wheel was changes to tvs tyre. In this monsoon season i had a skid and fall with it. Earlier my mrf nylo grip would nt skid soo easily....
arjun_b2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:20   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Basics Sagar, Sell an under-performing tire and then roll out a new product to make it look better

But rk_sans did have a good life with Conti, think it lasted a good 30K which included a trip to the holy mecca of motorcycling (Leh-Ladakh).
Have not had a direct experience so will reserve my comments on it.
Roll out what new product to make it look better? Surely not all scoots have disc brakes to equip ABS and make it look like tyres are gripping better. And moreover , there is no guarentee that that all manufacturers will use the Continental tyres!

The point is not about long lasting. No sane motorcycle rider will forgo grip for life. For most educated riders it is more than suffient if the tyre lasts 25K-30K. Ofcourse there is a seperate audience who want tyres that last 50K-60K kms , but that would be too off-topic.

Point is Continental 2 wheeler tyres are crappy. Given a choice they are best avoided . Better to put in some more money and go for the likes of michelin,pirelli or MRF premium range.

Bad grip tyres are less risky on 4 wheelers but can be suicidal on two wheelers

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 2nd August 2013 at 14:22.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:28   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Bad grip tyres are less risky on 4 wheelers but can be suicidal on two wheelers
Off Topic mate, Dil pe mat le yaar, i was only kidding.

On a serious note, yes what you say makes sense and i fully agree with you. With the bikes in my stable i would never sacrifice grip. was only seeing the lighter aspect of conti making ABS & tires as a complete product.

Please take it with a pinch of salt.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:46   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Off Topic mate, Dil pe mat le yaar, i was only kidding.

On a serious note, yes what you say makes sense and i fully agree with you. With the bikes in my stable i would never sacrifice grip. was only seeing the lighter aspect of conti making ABS & tires as a complete product.

Please take it with a pinch of salt.

LOL! ok. I thought you were serious. And i was wondering what is wrong with this guy to talk like this .

Chilled mate. Peace
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote