Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 12:35   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,694
Thanked: 1,473 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
Need help to find new rear tyre for my Cl500.
Was runnning Michelin Sirac's 120 80 18 (loved the tyres for nice grip) for about 30k kms but they have worn out flat in the middle. The Michelins are not available anymore.

Here in Pune the options available are:
MRF Zapper (the woefully useless stock tyre):Have it lying with me but dont want to use it one bit.
CEAT something: reviews please
TVS tyre: reviews please
Pirelli Sprort Demon (tubeless but can be used with tube): reviews please.

Are there any other options apart from the ones mentioned above?
Which one is closest to the Sirac in terms of performance?
Headed for Goa end of month with wifey as pillion so need them on a somewhat urgent basis.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
came to know of 2 more tyres available
Birla tyre and Dunlop. are they any good?
Have you tried the Mogrip tyres range in MRF. I had used them for 40k kms on P150, & I am by no way a sedate rider. Yet never had sch issues on panic braking as in case of Zappers. But these tyres are lot noisier on sudden braking & may affect you mileage by 5%.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 13:37   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,599
Thanked: 1,193 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
Need help to find new rear tyre for my Cl500.
Was runnning Michelin Sirac's 120 80 18 (loved the tyres for nice grip) for about 30k kms but they have worn out flat in the middle. The Michelins are not available anymore.

Here in Pune the options available are:
MRF Zapper (the woefully useless stock tyre):Have it lying with me but dont want to use it one bit.
CEAT something: reviews please
TVS tyre: reviews please
Pirelli Sprort Demon (tubeless but can be used with tube): reviews please.

Are there any other options apart from the ones mentioned above?
Which one is closest to the Sirac in terms of performance?
Headed for Goa end of month with wifey as pillion so need them on a somewhat urgent basis.

Thanks in advance.
Get the pirelli sport demon eyes closed!

If you find it on the costlier side then go for MRF mogrip as CARDEEP above suggested. They are good
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 15:29   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 2,044 Times
Default

I was in the market for a 100/90-18 tyre for my ZMA since the Michelin M45 4.00x18 had worn out.

Searched for a while but could not get good tyres. A Pirelli Sport Demon 100/90-18 was available however it was couple of years old. I was at a tyre shop and saw few Ceat tyres. The Ceat Secura Zoom rubber felt good, soft rubber and inexpensive at 1900 incl tube.

I've done 1000KMs on the Ceat Secura Zoom and its a very good tyre! Works well even in the rain!
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 16:41   #334
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune/Manchester
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Have you tried the Mogrip tyres range in MRF. I had used them for 40k kms on P150, & I am by no way a sedate rider. Yet never had sch issues on panic braking as in case of Zappers. But these tyres are lot noisier on sudden braking & may affect you mileage by 5%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Get the pirelli sport demon eyes closed!

If you find it on the costlier side then go for MRF mogrip as CARDEEP above suggested. They are good
Thanks for your suggestions guys. Couldn't find MoGrip in the size I needed.
After an extensive search the only things that I found for 120/80-18 in Pune was the Pirelli SD, Dunlop Geo Cruiser, MRF Zapper & the Birla Firemaxx tyre. The Sport Demon was ruled out since it wears out very quickly and was on the steeper side as well. Didn't like the tread on the MRF or the Dunlop. Eventually bought the Birla. Have ridden it in the city for 70 odd kms now and seems to have decent on road manners. Coming from Michelin Sirac it feels crappy but way better than the stock MRFs.

Yesterday had to change my front tyre (MRF 90/90-19) as well when I noticed a bulge in the sidewall. Replaced it with CEAT secura sports 3.0 R19.

Although there is more grip with the Ceat but it feels like a train on cornering and resists leaning. Still wondering why is this happening, all suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance.
RabidBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 18:00   #335
BHPian
 
latentpotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IIM, Ahmedabad
Posts: 494
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
...
After an extensive search the only things that I found for 120/80-18 in Pune was the Pirelli SD, Dunlop Geo Cruiser, MRF Zapper & the Birla Firemaxx tyre.. .
Could you please share the prices? I have yet to come across a fresh tyre in this size. Were these rear tyres or generalized?
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 18:05   #336
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune/Manchester
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Could you please share the prices? I have yet to come across a fresh tyre in this size. Were these rear tyres or generalized?
These are the prices for 120/80-18 rear tyres in Pune.
Birla Firemax - 2300
MRF Zapper - Did not bother asking the price
PSD - 3600
Dunlop Geo Cruiser - 2100
RabidBull is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 12:49   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 1,034 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Guys - need your help. I have to change the rear tyre of my Unicorn. Currently I am running on Michelin M45. I was thinking of going for Michelin but on many forums I have read that their quality have gone down after they started manufacturing tyres in India.

I need very good wet grip and good grip in gravel and slush, so I am looking for a medium or soft compound tyre - thread life is my least priority.

Which options should I look for?

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 22:29   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,599
Thanked: 1,193 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Guys - need your help. I have to change the rear tyre of my Unicorn. Currently I am running on Michelin M45. I was thinking of going for Michelin but on many forums I have read that their quality have gone down after they started manufacturing tyres in India.

I need very good wet grip and good grip in gravel and slush, so I am looking for a medium or soft compound tyre - thread life is my least priority.

Which options should I look for?

--Anoop
Go for MRF MO grip or ceat gripp
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 16:26   #339
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 819
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Hi, I need to change the tyres on my 200NS. My requirements are good grip in the Wet & Dry. I am quite a sedate rider but need a better grip since most of my riding is in the city and panic braking situations are quite a few. Have narrowed my search as follows:

Pirelli Sports Daemon - Only rear tyre available that too most of them I saw were at least 2 to 3 years old. Some how I never buy tyres if they are over 6 months old.
Michelin Pilot Sporty - I was inclined for these and almost decided to go ahead with these. However reviews on other forums has made me put this on hold and seek more opinions. Heard that dry grip is good but in wet its not even as good as the MRF Zappers/
MRF Zappers - these are the jack of all & master of none types. Hence wondering if they would make sense in changing at all.

Please advice as I need to take a final call over the weekend.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 18:21   #340
BHPian
 
Abhi_abarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 304
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Guys - need your help. I have to change the rear tyre of my Unicorn. Currently I am running on Michelin M45. I was thinking of going for Michelin but on many forums I have read that their quality have gone down after they started manufacturing tyres in India.

I need very good wet grip and good grip in gravel and slush, so I am looking for a medium or soft compound tyre - thread life is my least priority.

Which options should I look for?

--Anoop
Hi buddy,

Look no further go for Michelin Sirac Street. I was in the same position last year when I had to replace my Unicorn's shoes at 53 K KM. The stock tyres were MRF Zapper Y and I will say these are one of the worst tyres.

I have observed sea of difference with Michelin, the grip is excellent be it on wet, gravel or loose sand. Regarding the quality issues people were referring to, I haven't faced any issues so far (touch wood). And when you change do change both front and rear tyres.

Trust me, you won't repent the buy

For more info : http://motorcycle.michelin.in/twprod...oreProduct/312

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 28th March 2014 at 18:22. Reason: Added hyperlink
Abhi_abarth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 19:04   #341
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 819
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Hi Abhi, thanks for your suggestion but are they available in these sizes:
Front:100/80 - 17
Rear: 130/70 - 17

Couldnt figure the sizes from the web page.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 19:36   #342
BHPian
 
Abhi_abarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 304
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Hi Abhi, thanks for your suggestion but are they available in these sizes:
Front:100/80 - 17
Rear: 130/70 - 17

Couldnt figure the sizes from the web page.
I was referring to the unicorn tyres in my earlier post. However, I see your need is for pulsar 200 NS.

Not the same tyres but was able to find different tyres as given below.

Front:100/80 - 17 - http://motorcycle.michelin.in/twprod...oreProduct/184
Rear: 130/70 - 17 - http://motorcycle.michelin.in/twprod...oreProduct/326
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 10:00   #343
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 1,034 Times
Default

Hi abi and sagar, thank you for the suggestions. Any idea how good the Michelin pilot sporty is?
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 10:24   #344
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,599
Thanked: 1,193 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi abi and sagar, thank you for the suggestions. Any idea how good the Michelin pilot sporty is?
Made in India pilot sporty is bad. It has good dry grip and pathetic wet grip. It does not inspire confidence turning on wet or gravel roads. Very good if you drive in hot climate.

I was having a Made in Thailand pilot sporty which was very good in all conditions. Based on that feedback I purchased another one in 120/80-17 size recently and the above experience is based on past 6k kms of riding in various conditions.

I would suggest you go for MRF Vyde which was my previous tyre. It was a really good all rounder with grip in all situations.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 11:09   #345
BHPian
 
sai_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CBE-BLR
Posts: 279
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Hi,

I am using the pilot sporty 90/90 up front for my rtr fi. Have ridden for around 8-9k kms.

Dry grip is fantastic, it is thinner (feel and looks) than the zapper y 90/90 or the tvs 90/90 an very very agile. And you have a certain reassurance when in high speed and braking.

In the wet over roads, its predictably bad in the sense you kinda know how much you can push it and that for me is quite good if i ride within my tyres limits.

The problem i Have faced is on concrete surfaces - office car park etc which have been smoothed out over a period of time. and if there is some water on that surface im literally tip toeing there.

Am i satisfied with tyre? Absolutely - so far the best front rubber I have used and at 1650 it was a great buy.

Tyre - michelin pilot sporty 90/90 -17
Type - Front tyre, tubeless.
Bike - Apache rtr efi

cheers!
sai

Last edited by sai_ace : 31st March 2014 at 11:10. Reason: Formating
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why less engine braking in cars compared to 2-Wheelers ? mithun Technical Stuff 24 5th July 2008 16:38
Is the Aveo really so bad as compared to the Fiesta?? Puffdamgcdragon Sedans 64 17th July 2006 12:03
Which box do u recommend for this woofer ? Result will be compared ! low_bass_makker In-Car Entertainment 10 17th April 2006 10:13
Compared-ZMA vs 180 dtsi-type 1... veyron1 Motorbikes 87 28th March 2006 05:39
Car Prices In India Compared To States IndianDawg The Indian Car Scene 12 9th December 2005 18:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks