Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th November 2014, 00:39   #436
BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
No that much drop is not normal. Also invest in a good pressure gauge. Almost all the petrol pump and road side walla pump gauges are in-accurate by a huge margin

Fill the tyre to a high pressure, say 40 PSI. Take a spray bottle and add some dish washing liquid and mix with water. Spray all over the tyre and the rim joint and the neck. If there is any leak bubbles will start to form . Sure shot way of finding the leak.
Just placed an order for a COIDO pressure gauge , a cursory search about the brand suggests it is a good brand so waiting for the gauge .

Thanks for the tip , will carry out the test .
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 14:20   #437
Senior - BHPian

I am using Michellin Pilot Street Radial (140/17 R17)for my CBR 250. Excellent grip and better ride comfort (maybe because of softer walls). This is Thailand make, which I procured long back, not the Indian make available in the market.

I have got Pirelli Sport for front (110/17 R17), planning to fix it in the next service.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 20:29   #438
BHPian

Hi All,

Its been 5 years and approximately 75k kms since I brought my bike, Hero
Hunk. I have'nt felt the need to change the tires since then. But its about
time I do since the bike has started fishtailing on wet cement roads. Does
not inspire confidence in corners, especially on the cement roads.

Since the stock tyre, MRF Zapper has done the job very well till now, I was
looking for the same tyre. But to my surprise, the tyre is no longer available
with the dealers in the market (in Mumbai). I have been to the authorised
MRF dealers, but no luck.

A couple of dealers suggested me Michelin tires. But again they are tube
types. My need is specifically is of a tubeless tyre.

Now I am in a ditch, as to what to do. Need help in here.
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 22:50   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

75k is shockingly high life for any tire. You must change them. Please refer to the first page of this thread where Sagar has shared some excellent advice on multiple tires for regular bikes. You can look at zapper vyde for rear. The current crop of Michelin tires are home grown, i.e..made in India and they are not as grippy as the Thai made ones. I would suggest to stay away from them.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 12th November 2014 at 22:52.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 19:03   #440
BHPian

My daily office ride is a 2010 Honda Stunner with around 10k on odometer. I am using stock TVS tyres for both front and rear. Thread depth is like almost new.
For last one and half year I am facing serious skid issues. The rear wheel skids and fishtails significantly. Even at lower speed, while on a turning and rear drum brake is applied before front disc, the bike becomes a jet ski. Sometimes this pulls the heart out of me and any other road user present as well.

Rear tyre had 3 punctures last year in quick succession. There are some minor cracks on the tyre surface also.

Service center insists on wheel balancing, tried that with no result.
The neighborhood tyre shop guy told me that tyre is ok, but the compound becomes very hard. So he suggested to keep rear tyre pressure at 40 psi.

Result:
  • with 40 psi and a passenger at rear no skidding
  • with 40 psi and no passenger at rear occasional skidding, manageable
  • slightly low pressure and no passenger at rear, skids at every possible scenario.
I am managing by regularly keeping pressure of rear tyre at 40psi. But need suggestions from Gurus, does the tyre need replacement? I feel a hard compound tyre like TVS with just 4 years and 10K should be OK for much longer life.
N.B.: All of my drives are on Bangalore city roads.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 21:21   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
My daily office ride is a 2010 Honda Stunner with around 10k on odometer. I am using stock TVS tyres for both front and rear. Thread depth is like almost new.
For last one and half year I am facing serious skid issues. The rear wheel skids and fishtails significantly.
Same set up brother. I too ride Honda Stunner, 2010 to my office and it did have the TVS tires as stock. The front tire, I felt was a lot better than the rear tire. After crossing 17-18K, the rear tire started skidding seriously at any given wet surface. The tread was not bad even then. I managed that upto 24K kms and finally the rear tire showed a long crack and I knew this was it. Finally changed the pair to MRF Zapper Vyde & Zapper FY1 for my bike and I have been happy since then.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th November 2014 at 21:25.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 11:30   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
After crossing 17-18K, the rear tire started skidding seriously at any given wet surface. The tread was not bad even then.
Thanks brother. Though it is inhuman, but sometimes knowing that I am not the lone sufferer give peace of mind .

It seems got one more puncture . Air pressure came down from 40 psi to 25 psi in a week. Put on pressure again, will check this weekend.

What I feel, the rubber is so hard to loose any thread and also to have any grip.

I have serious doubt on quality of rubber used in TVS tyres. Small cracks are all over the tyre, there are few deep scars too. Even a soft compound would not have this much deterioration in 4 years/10k kms. Seriously thinking about changing the rear tyre at least.

How is your MRF Zapper Vyde performing? Did you face any puncture issues?
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 11:59   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks brother. Though it is inhuman, but sometimes knowing that I am not the lone sufferer give peace of mind .

Quote:

What I feel, the rubber is so hard to loose any thread and also to have any grip.
I have serious doubt on quality of rubber used in TVS tyres. Small cracks are all over the tyre, there are few deep scars too. Even a soft compound would not have this much deterioration in 4 years/10k kms. Seriously thinking about changing the rear tyre at least.
How is your MRF Zapper Vyde performing? Did you face any puncture issues?
Exactly what I thought about the tire. I rode 24K kms in about 4 years and still it had good thread on it. Though I must add that the front tire was leaps better than the rear one. Somehow, almost mysteriously, a long crack developed on the tire and I saw it as a good excuse to change the set. Vyde is a good tire and till now, I have ridden about 700-800 kms and there is no puncture on it. The grip levels are good. It cost me about 2400 bucks here for the stock size in tubeless avatar.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 20:30   #444
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if the following tires are available in India, or Delhi to be more precise? If you know the cost (front and rear) with available sizes, that would be awesome!!

- Avon Distanzia
- Vee Rubber
- Pirelli MT 60

Its for the Duke 390
Urban_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 20:38   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am using Michellin Pilot Street Radial (140/17 R17)for my CBR 250. Excellent grip and better ride comfort (maybe because of softer walls). This is Thailand make, which I procured long back, not the Indian make available in the market.

I have got Pirelli Sport for front (110/17 R17), planning to fix it in the next service.
Hello! Where did you get the Michelin PSR from? And prices please? Did you have to fit it in the service center or elsewhere?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 11:18   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello! Where did you get the Michelin PSR from? And prices please? Did you have to fit it in the service center or elsewhere?
I got it from x-Torque, behind total mall in outer ring road. I think I paid Rs.5900, not very sure as I got it long back. The price was higher than other places, got it from there as it is closer to my house. I got it fitted from Tansi service centre, Varthur road.

Do a search on CBR facebook forum. People were getting it from shops in HCR, Jayanagar etc..

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th January 2015 at 11:20.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 11:25   #447
BHPian

Changed my 2008 pulsar 200 Dtsi's front tyre a while back(2 years ago) and just after that i felt the front end had started to wobble at speeds above 60. Wanted to check for the source of the problem but did not get the time and got used to the wobble. Recently got the bike looked by a local mechanic who checked everything from cone set, to t stem etc and found no problems and finally it was concluded that tyre may be at fault.
i never thought tyre fault would lead to front end wobble but decided to have a word with MRF dealer ("Sri Saptagiri tyres" at chamarajpet, Bangalore). When i visited them with the complaint the tyre had already run for more than 10 thousand kilometers and was more than 2 years old and i did not have a bill, But surprisingly the dealership assured to get the tyre replaced and it was done so within 7 days.
For the change i went for MRF Zapper FY1 and the increase in grip levels was immediately evident and no problems of front end wobble too.
My experience so far (1000 Kms) with the new tyre has been pleasant and i would definitely rate this tyre as the best option for pulsars.
Mr.Umesh at the dealership was very helpful in solving the issue with tyre replacement and they seemed to have plenty of FY1s in stock.
Mashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 00:25   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Changed my 2008 pulsar 200 Dtsi's front tyre a while back(2 years ago).
Hi! Please tell the tyre size and please share the cost of the new tyre.
Thank you
stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 09:42   #449
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please await approval to edit and add in the original post. Thanks

Hi stormy,
Stock tyre size is 90/90 X 17. The zapper FY1 i am using right now is 90/80 X 17.

New one costs rs2000.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th January 2015 at 10:10. Reason: Back to back posts, please await approval to edit and add in the original post. Thanks
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 11:20   #450
BHPian

Folks,

I have already posted here from before regarding the zapper fy1 tyre for my RTR. Since I did not get it, I have gone for the Micelin pilot sporty 90/90 . Pretty decent tyre - has made the steering lighter than stock.

Now I am thinking of shifting this tyre to my old Apache 150 and getting the zapper fy1 for the RTR. The worry now is size comparison of the rim

RTR - 1.85 in - 90/90 -17
r15 v2 - 2.16 in - 90/80 - 17.

This is slightly confusing. I know folks who have swapped this tyre on their Pulsar 180 - but I do not know the rim width there. If it similar in width to the RTR, then I could go ahead and get this tyre. Please advise.

Also is there any 110/80 - 18 tyre in the market for the rear? Currently using the 110/90 -18 Zapper Q.

And finally if someone could explain how the gearing and acceleration changes overall with the change in the rear tyre it would be great. eg : my current tyres diameter is greater than the earlier set up (25.8 vs 24.3 resp). Unable to understand how this affects the gearing.

Thanks a ton!
sai_ace is offline   Reply With Quote