Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th January 2015, 14:02   #451
BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
RTR - 1.85 in - 90/90 -17
r15 v2 - 2.16 in - 90/80 - 17.

This is slightly confusing. I know folks who have swapped this tyre on their Pulsar 180 - but I do not know the rim width there. If it similar in width to the RTR, then I could go ahead and get this tyre. Please advise.
Going by the specs you provide the rim seems to be a bit narrow for the tyre, which may result in U shape of the tyre when inflated. Handling may seem heavy afterwards.
I suggest you get your rim measured and compare it with the pulsar's measurements (All you need is a scale and i am sure you will find a used pulsar wheel at a local mechanic ).
Mashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 13:09   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Hi All,

Its been 5 years and approximately 75k kms since I brought my bike, Hero
Hunk. I have'nt felt the need to change the tires since then. But its about
time I do since the bike has started fishtailing on wet cement roads. Does
not inspire confidence in corners, especially on the cement roads.

A couple of dealers suggested me Michelin tires. But again they are tube
types. My need is specifically is of a tubeless tyre.

Now I am in a ditch, as to what to do. Need help in here.
I am in a similar situation, but I have finalised on Zapper q 110/90 R18 for the rear( but will it fit without any modification), I am yet to decide on the front one since there are very few options, need some help on this part and pricing too (don't want to be ripped off).

Thanks in advance
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 19:04   #453
BHPian

Need help with Tyres for my brothers Harley super low. The only pirelli I can find in bangalore is manufactured in 2010. Any help with sourcing this will be appreciated!
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 19:20   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Need help with Tyres for my brothers Harley super low. The only pirelli I can find in bangalore is manufactured in 2010. Any help with sourcing this will be appreciated!
You can try calling their customer care at 18001800517. You can also speak to the fellow at Thirumala Pitstop.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 23:13   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Check with Gaurav Thakkar at revz.co.in, he keeps a stock of almost all motorcycle tires and should be able to help you. Located in Mumbai but ships all over India. Phone number: 9819003637
RiderZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 18:37   #456

Default Bajaj Avenger - New Tyres

Hi all,

A new member of Team-BHP. My first post on this forum. I own a 2006 Bajaj Avenger 180 which has given me a great driving experience for 55,000 kms. I have had a few punctures along the way, and during the last fixing the mechanic advised that I should get my tyres replaced (atleast the front one). I do notice that the front tyres are pretty worn out but the back still has quite some rubber grip left. I plan to replace the front tyre+tube and the rear tube.

My questions for other Avenger owners.

1. Is it normal for tyres to wear out after 50,000 kms? Does the front wear out faster than the rear? Have other owners replaced their tyres at this point?

2. Is MRF the only manufacturer for Avenger tyres?

3. At the MRF authorized outlet they quoted Rs. 2200 for the front tyre and tube (only tyre is Rs.2000) and Rs. 750 for the rear tube. Is this reasonable? Also how do we ensure they are selling genuine MRF tyres?

4. The MRF outlet I am referring to is Tyre Craft near Jayanagar Hospital, 32nd Cross, Jayanagar 4th Block east. Anybody has any review on this place?

Kindly guide..
Vikasnprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 21:45   #457
BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj Avenger - New Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikasnprabhu View Post
Hi all,

A new member of Team-BHP. My first post on this forum. I own a 2006 Bajaj Avenger 180 which has given me a great driving experience for 55,000 kms. I have had a few punctures along the way, and during the last fixing the mechanic advised that I should get my tyres replaced (atleast the front one). I do notice that the front tyres are pretty worn out but the back still has quite some rubber grip left. I plan to replace the front tyre+tube and the rear tube.

My questions for other Avenger owners.

1. Is it normal for tyres to wear out after 50,000 kms? Does the front wear out faster than the rear? Have other owners replaced their tyres at this point?

3. At the MRF authorized outlet they quoted Rs. 2200 for the front tyre and tube (only tyre is Rs.2000) and Rs. 750 for the rear tube. Is this reasonable? Also how do we ensure they are selling genuine MRF tyres?

4. The MRF outlet I am referring to is Tyre Craft near Jayanagar Hospital, 32nd Cross, Jayanagar 4th Block east. Anybody has any review on this place?

Kindly guide..
Not an Avenger owner, but would like to help you with your queries.

1. Traditionally, the rear wears out faster than the front. A tyre change for the Avenger at 50k is normal, I feel.

2. No. You can use Pirelli M66 Route tyres which offer excellent grip and stability. They are tubeless. Not sure about the price.

3. If the authorised dealers are quoting such an amount, then I feel it's legitimate. However, do cross-check with other private dealers too. You will get genuine MRF tyres if purchased from an authorised head showroom.

4. They don't seem to have a good reputation in my circle. Arrogant and rude staff with very lethargic service.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 11:25   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
They don't seem to have a good reputation in my circle. Arrogant and rude staff with very lethargic service.
Thanks for your reply. Well! Seems like the arrogant staff are one way to confirm that it is indeed an authorized service centre.
Vikasnprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 12:06   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Well! Seems like the arrogant staff are one way to confirm that it is indeed an authorized service centre.
Anytime! Indeed. Trademark of an authorized service centre for any brand. Do let us know what choice you finally make!
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 22:26   #460
BHPian

Quote:

Hello, im not an avenger owner but a prospective buyer. have been reading up on it for a few weeks. my two cents:-

1) 50k is good mileage for a tyre. I guess the tyre which gets more load will wear out faster. Car tyres wear faster on the front.

2) the current avenger tyre size is Front- 90/90-17 , Rear 130/90-15. The front is a very common size, youll have ptions from MRF, Michelin, Ceat, etc The rear seems to be an odd size and not too many tyres may be available.

3) dont jusy say MRFtyre. MRF is a company, it produces many brands or models for each size e.g. zapper C, zapper vyde, nylogrip Y, etc, etc.. try to get the exact model and then check for its reviews.
If you use the default spoke wheels, you will have to get tube type tyres.
Your bike's tyre size would be mentioned in the owner's manual or on the sidewall of your tyres.

hope this helps
Regards
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 23:33   #461

Can anyone suggest which tyre should I purchase for the following requirements:

Bike: Pulsar200NS
Usage: Rear Tyre
Purpose: Need to take my bike to Leh and Pangong Circuit (Need puncture resistance+excellent grip)
Currently using: MRF Zapper Q (replaced the instock 'TVS Eurogrip' crap)

I doubt if existing tyre will be able to survive Leh circuit since it already has gone under two puncture repairs. Although it has only seen 4500km of running.

Any ideas?
mnautss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 01:16   #462
BHPian

Quote:

Kindly guide..

Change of tyres at 50,000 km is normal. I had changed both the front and rear tyres of my Avenger 200 at around this point. I had replaced them with MRF tyres of same specifications as the originals. Cost was 2,400 for rear and 2,050 for front (including both tubes). This was in 2011. It is difficult to find a shop which has the rear tyre and tube of this size, even in Mumbai. I always carry a spare tube on long rides.
highway_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 12:13   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnautss View Post
Can anyone suggest which tyre should I purchase for the following requirements:

Bike: Pulsar200NS
Usage: Rear Tyre
Purpose: Need to take my bike to Leh and Pangong Circuit (Need puncture resistance+excellent grip)
Currently using: MRF Zapper Q (replaced the instock 'TVS Eurogrip' crap)

I doubt if existing tyre will be able to survive Leh circuit since it already has gone under two puncture repairs. Although it has only seen 4500km of running.

Any ideas?
For the purpose that you've stated the only tyre that comes in my mind is the Ceat Vertigo Rage in 120/80 - 17. Have you checked them out?

One could say that this tyre was specifically meant for doing Leh!
Old 29th March 2015, 18:30   #464

Thanks barcalad.

As I remember, 'unk9ja' also upgraded his duke390 by the ceat vertigo. But the tread pattern was of vertigo sport.

Can you explain a bit the difference between the two (ceat vertigo rage and ceat vertigo sport).
Which one behaves better under what condition and the life?
mnautss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 20:21   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnautss View Post
Thanks barcalad.

As I remember, 'unk9ja' also upgraded his duke390 by the ceat vertigo. But the tread pattern was of vertigo sport.

Can you explain a bit the difference between the two (ceat vertigo rage and ceat vertigo sport).
Which one behaves better under what condition and the life?
Ceat Vertigo Sport is costlier than the Rage. But then, it offers better life, grip and braking bit. Remember though, both of these tyres will make your nervous at times on highways, so try not to pursue your top speed on these.

Not sure about the life of either.

The Vertigo Sport has button treads as compared to the rib treads of the rage. From what I know, rib treads are pretty favourable for tarmac and button treads for gravel/dirt roads.