Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th September 2015, 15:12   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Guys, kindly advise !

I am looking for a rear tyre change on my pulsar 150 [100/90-17]]. Since my bike usage will only decrease in coming years and more than the longevity, I'd prefer a better Grip [wet & dry] and comfort rides, I zeroed on either Zapper Vyde and Michelin Pilot Sporty . My usual ride would be in cities with some good to non-existent roads [ courtesy - Greater Hyd Municipal Corp] combined with water pooling during monsoons.

My budget would be around 2500.

And btw, is it fine if I get MRF Vyde 100/90-17 or Vyde 120/90-17 [preferring a better look]?
poised2drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 13:54   #512
Senior - BHPian

Folks, am not happy with my Duke 200 tyres. Especially the wet grip and grip in slush is rubbish. The tyres just slide over even a little bit of slush.

Considering the fact that it rains in Bangalore like 6 months a year, I'm considering Ceat Vertigo. 130/80 for rear and 100/90 for front.

Another objective is to make the ride quality of the Duke a little bit better.

Any suggestions? Comments?
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 14:30   #513
BHPian

Is your Duke shod with Euroslips? If yes, dispose of them at the earliest and get michelins or even IRC's. They are way better in terms of grip. WRT ride quality you can play around with the rear shock adjustment..
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 15:00   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Is your Duke shod with Euroslips? If yes, dispose of them at the earliest and get michelins or even IRC's. They are way better in terms of grip. WRT ride quality you can play around with the rear shock adjustment..
Nope, my Duke has MRF Revz.

I wasn't even aware that Duke 200 ever came shod with any other tyres.

Is Michelin grip in wet and slush good?
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 15:17   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Folks, am not happy with my Duke 200 tyres. Especially the wet grip and grip in slush is rubbish. The tyres just slide over even a little bit of slush.

Considering the fact that it rains in Bangalore like 6 months a year, I'm considering Ceat Vertigo. 130/80 for rear and 100/90 for front.

Another objective is to make the ride quality of the Duke a little bit better.

Any suggestions? Comments?
Vertigos will not only be far less comfy during cornering, they'll also mess up with your ABS. Go with Michelins, brilliant over any kinda surface.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 15:21   #516
Senior - BHPian

Guys I may need to replace the tyres on My harley Davidson superlow. the stock tyres are Michelin HD co branded tyres- the dealership is charging 15K per tyre. Since i want to upsize the rear to a 160/55, any thoughts on the options available?
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 15:41   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Guys, kindly advise !

I am looking for a rear tyre change on my pulsar 150 [100/90-17]]. Since my bike usage will only decrease in coming years and more than the longevity, I'd prefer a better Grip [wet & dry] and comfort rides, I zeroed on either Zapper Vyde and Michelin Pilot Sporty . My usual ride would be in cities with some good to non-existent roads [ courtesy - Greater Hyd Municipal Corp] combined with water pooling during monsoons.

My budget would be around 2500.

And btw, is it fine if I get MRF Vyde 100/90-17 or Vyde 120/90-17 [preferring a better look]?
Don't upsize beyond 110 section. 120 section in zapper vyde will cause it to touch the chain guard so the tyre has to be aligned bit cross. This screws up dynamics and causes wear of chain and sprockets. Been there done that on my Pulsar 180 UG3. However 120 section in Pilot sporty fits fine because it has a rounder profile.

In your budget go for the Vyde in 100 section. If you can get hold of the elusive Zapper S 100/80-17(R15V1 rear) then grab it and store it. It is the best 100 section tyre one can get for the rear!
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 15:54   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Vertigos will not only be far less comfy during cornering, they'll also mess up with your ABS. Go with Michelins, brilliant over any kinda surface.
I read your blog on tyres . Thanks for that and the reply too!

My plan was to put Vertigo during rainy months and put the stock tyres for winter and summer. I hope it works!

But the main question - Do the 130/80 improve ride quality? Since the Duke is my primary commute, I was hoping to have a slightly better ride quality and that higher profile tyres could help. Any idea?

P.S. I have Duke 200, so no ABS issue.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 16:08   #519
BHPian

For RE CL 350, rear tyre size is 110/90 18. I was checking Pirelli website and they have these 3 options:

110/90-18 M/C TL 61H SPORTD
110/80-18 M/C TL 58H SPORTD
120/80-18 M/C TL 62H SPORTD

Now I assume these are tubeless, so can they be used as tubed? Also what difference it will make by changing the section from 110/90 to 120/80? Any negative effects?

If not the above ones, what options remain for tube type? Pirellis in front are out of question since no size is available it seems for 90/90 19.
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 17:22   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
But the main question - Do the 130/80 improve ride quality? Since the Duke is my primary commute, I was hoping to have a slightly better ride quality and that higher profile tyres could help. Any idea?
The question here is what you mean by ride quality? Higher profile tires will only help you in deep slush and provide more protection over really bad roads as against the MRFs you have. A friend has a Duke 200 here with fat tires, and cornering stability has gone for a toss, although I certainly can go through knee deep slush without second thought.

If you are looking for better feel and more stability/fun in city riding, I think Vertigos will do the opposite. They are easy to slide around on cemented patches.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 01:37   #521
BHPian

If I have to change the rear tyre of my Continental GT which is a 130/70 18, what is the best size to opt for? 120/80? Any recommendations in that size? My basic research tells me that the MRF Zapper Q and C are available in addition to the Ceat Secura Zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
For RE CL 350, rear tyre size is 110/90 18. I was checking Pirelli website and they have these 3 options:
Pirelli's arent available anywhere as they are not being imported any longer is what all the dealers I spoke to said.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 11:43   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Pirelli's arent available anywhere as they are not being imported any longer is what all the dealers I spoke to said.
Yup, they are not.

Enquired with my dealer, Pirelli 4 wheeler tires are easy to procure but 2 wheeler tires are hard to come by.

I think I have no other option than waiting for Michelins. Rear is available, front is not, till then have to ride on these ralco tires rebadged Contigo by Continental.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 13:03   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
If I have to change the rear tyre of my Continental GT which is a 130/70 18, what is the best size to opt for? 120/80? Any recommendations in that size? My basic research tells me that the MRF Zapper Q and C are available in addition to the Ceat Secura Zoom.

If your city has a Pirelli dealership, do visit that. They might have Sport Demon tyres for Continental. I went looking for MT60 at one in Mumbai, they said they only supply the Sport Demon tyres for Continental GT.

If that doesn't work, contact RE for the same. customerservice@royalenfield.com

They are usually a helpful lot. Might be able to point you in the right direction.
maker_of_things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 13:21   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
If your city has a Pirelli dealership, do visit that. They might have Sport Demon tyres for Continental. I went looking for MT60 at one in Mumbai, they said they only supply the Sport Demon tyres for Continental GT.

If that doesn't work, contact RE for the same. customerservice@royalenfield.com

They are usually a helpful lot. Might be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks maker_of_things. I have contacted RE over 60 days ago regarding a replacement front tire, they still haven't received it. Today they have told me that they should be getting it in the next few days.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 13:23   #525
BHPian

BHPians,

I'm looking to replace both tyres on my Pulsar 180 (2006 model).

My usage is not much, but roads are quite bad in the last 1km near where I live, with a lot of construction activity and debris on the roads. So, I'd like to go for a Medium compound one.

I'm currently considering Zapper FY/FY1 (the R15 tyres) for front.
And MRF Zapper VYDE in 100-110/80-17 for rear.

Is the Zapper FY available only in Yamaha dealers? Any good alternative to this tyre?
Any other tyre recommendations are welcome, but don't want to stretch the budget too much as I don't use the bike much these days. Please suggest any good dealers as well.

Last edited by jetti : 6th November 2015 at 13:26. Reason: Added question about dealers.
jetti is offline   Reply With Quote