Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th August 2016, 12:06   #631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
RE has added a more than substantial (almost 2.5X) markup on the tyres. Picked up mine yesterday for 2.2K. By the time this hits all the dealers, I think the prices may get bumped up by max 500/-.
Is it the 'exact' size? i.e. 120x90-17 or is it a 80 profile tyre? Did you also get your hands on the 90x90-21 front? If yes, the source please.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 13:08   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Is it the 'exact' size? i.e. 120x90-17 or is it a 80 profile tyre? Did you also get your hands on the 90x90-21 front? If yes, the source please.

Cheers...
Yes, its the exact 120/90-17 size. The 120/80 has been in the market for few years now.

I did not get the front as my bike has 90/90-17 front. I picked it up directly from CEAT, have been talking to their customer care/sales team for the last 1-2 months. The tyre is yet to hit the dealers though. Bangalore just got 5 tyres this batch.
praful is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 22:55   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Cross posting from another thread as I believe this is the right place to direct the question
Looks like you are left with no choice but to go for a new tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 16:36   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone seen the RE Himalayan rear tyre available in stores ?

Its the CEAT Gripp XL 120/90-17. I tried reaching out to the customer care for CEAT and they are quite clueless about this, even the distributors in Bangalore haven't heard of this tyre yet.

I know its a tad too early, but its been a few months now that the Himalayan has been released. The tyre should be available in stores, unless it is going to be exclusively sold as RE spares ?
Just my 5 cents. My friend who started off a long ride (Kanyakumari to Kargil) last week tried hook and crook to source spare tubes for his Himalayan. And with few weeks of followup through RE Dealer, got a full set (Tyre & Tube) for rear at INR5xxx. Tubes alone weren't available for purchase as a separate part .

Front set was not at all available even after this waiting and is hoping to collect from RE Rajastan though not yet confirmed. According to a tyre shop guy, rear set can be matched with some other OEM models but even a close match for front tyre & tube is hard to source.

Last edited by jacs : 10th August 2016 at 16:37.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 17:42   #635
BHPian

Has anyone tried Diablo Rosso II on their KTM yet? wish to switch from stock MRF (mine is a duke 200). My budget is around 10K for both front and back(front will be MRF again).
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 15:41   #636

Hi Guys,

I ride a Royal Enfield Thunderbird UCE 350. I am riding to Leh-Ladakh in a fortnight with my brother and a friend of mine. On one of our rides recently in rainy weather and with slush on ghat roads, stock OEM MRF zappers performed horribly and I absolutely have no confidence with mild rain or slush with the stock tyres.
I have to change the tyres anyway and was reading through all the posts here, thought the Gurus out here could help me decide.
Spec sheet of Royal Enfield on their website saye that the OEM tyre sizes are 90/90-19 on the front which is in metric and is 2.75/3.00 -19 (inches) and 120/80-18 in the rear in metric (4.00/4.10 -18 inches) for the RE thunderbird UCE, correct me if I am wrong.
Now, I have seen a lot of threads discussing on 3.25/19 tyres on the front and 3.5/19 on the rear. My doubt is if I can have a 3.5/19 inch tyre on the rear without any modifucation to the swing arm/chain guard? Since the OEM size is different? I have contacted Ceat Shoppee and enquired for Ceat Secure Sport as suggested earlier, but it is no longer available and the shop owner suggests me to buy the Ceat Gripp 3.5/19 tyre. Should I go for it?
Please suggest tyre options in the front and rear and availability in Bangalore.
Please also advice if I can go for Ceat Gripp on the rear and Ralco in the front.
My requirement will be for a good handling on dry and wet roads/slush.

-Hari
HariRE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 16:31   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariRE350 View Post
Hi Guys,

Now, I have seen a lot of threads discussing on 3.25/19 tyres on the front and 3.5/19 on the rear. My doubt is if I can have a 3.5/19 inch tyre on the rear without any modifucation to the swing arm/chain guard? Since the OEM size is different? I have contacted Ceat Shoppee and enquired for Ceat Secure Sport as suggested earlier, but it is no longer available and the shop owner suggests me to buy the Ceat Gripp 3.5/19 tyre. Should I go for it?
-Hari
You can use 3.25/19 on the front, no problem at all. Regarding the rear I don't think you can use a 19" tyre on an 18" rim. Look for CEAT Zoom 120/18 r18 which has good grip in both wet and dry. Never rode on mud/slush but it should be fine as long as you aren't going way too fast.

Personally my Classic 500 had a Michelin Sirac Street 3.25/19 on the front and 120/80 r18 CEAT Zoom on the rear. No complains with them at all. Both have good grip both in wet and dry roads.
maker_of_things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 08:35   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
Personally my Classic 500 had a Michelin Sirac Street 3.25/19 on the front and 120/80 r18 CEAT Zoom on the rear. No complains with them at all. Both have good grip both in wet and dry roads.
Thanks maker_of_things , how about the longevity of Michelin Sirac, I have heard that Michelins don't last long, what do you say? how many kilometers have you clocked since you got them on? Any idea of Ceat Gripp being available for 18" rim?
Old 19th August 2016, 10:24   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariRE350 View Post
how many kilometers have you clocked since you got them on? Any idea of Ceat Gripp being available for 18" rim?
Not much only 3k or so yet. So far so good. So can't really comment on the life. Probably won't last as much as the stock did, but then again the stock didn't provide as much grio as this does. So you win some, you lose some. They should last another 15k I think, let's see.

I don't think there's a Ceat grip in 18" rims. Also, there's the Vertigo rage which also provides good dry and wet grip and then some on off roads too. You can look into that as a rear tyre too.
maker_of_things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 18:57   #640

Ok guys, went tyre hunting on Saturday. TBTS 350 UCE models come with a very odd sized rear tyre 120/80-18 62P which is easily available only with MRF(Stock Zapper).
The CL-350 on the other hand has 110/90-18 rim and has a decent number of tyre options in the OEM size.

I wanted only an OEM size and good grip for wet roads. Options considered: Ceat Zoom, Ceat Vertigo.
Unfortunately couldn't get Ceat Vertigo in 120/80 size, however there is Ceat Zoom which looks somewhat similar to the zapper but with a definitely distinct tyre tread suitable for city riding.
Disappointed, I started searching the other shops and here is what I landed with. Ralco India has SpeedBlaster series in OEM size 120/80-18 62P with good tread pattern suitable for on/off road riding.
It is obviously a tubeless tyre, but you can use a CEAT tube of the same size and get it on your bike.

The tyre-wallah replaced my rear tyre like a pro in 10 mins flat (timed! ), however he did not have a pressure gauge and I forgot to check the tyre pressure after replacement.
Got the tyre pressure checked the next day and it was at 44 PSI . Immediately brought it down to 35 PSI.

So far the ride seems to be solid, good grip on curves in dry weather. Yet to test it out on wet surface, though it was raining mildly immediately after the rubber change.
Will update once I test it on wet surface. Braking was effective.

Front tyre on the other hand is 90/90-19 which has a lot of options from Ceat/Michelin/Ralco.
However I didnt change the front tyre as the tread is still quite good and it has done about 30k kms. Budget is a little tight until I am done with the ride

Here are some pics!

Thanks maker_of_things and the forum!

Mod note: Please type with proper word spacing and paragraph break. Also please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like.........this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd August 2016 at 11:01.
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:53   #641
BHPian

Quote:
RE has added a more than substantial (almost 2.5X) markup on the tyres. Picked up mine yesterday for 2.2K. By the time this hits all the dealers, I think the prices may get bumped up by max 500/-.

PS: Not sure why Tbhp upload is rotating the pics in the wrong direction.
So after having done about 2K kms over the last week on the CEAT GripXL 120/90-17 TT, I can say I am more than impressed with the way the tyre holds on the 220. Threw everything possible at it and it came out withn flying colours. Rode it on highways from a mix of GQ, Single lane, broken state highways, forest roads, twisties, off road to a mix of hot, wet & dry climates.

For me the tyre is about 80% of what the Michelin Sirac was, that it self is a compliment to the tyre. Under hard braking, it does tend to loose line, but it isn't too bad to cause serious panic. I suspect this is a slightly softer compound than the regular CEAT's, because now after about 2.3-2.5K kms of using this tyre the buttons along the center have almost halved in height.Or it is possible that accelerated wear was caused due to pillion+luggage+bad roads combo. Will need to see how this holds now over the next 4-8K kms as the wear has started to set in.

Best part of this tyre is the confidence it gives on slushy forest trails. My only wish was that it came in TL, and it would be next best tyre for the 220 after that Michelin Sirac for touring.

Last edited by praful : 22nd August 2016 at 13:56.
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:55   #642
BHPian

I'm looking for MRF Zapper FY1 or FY2 front tyre in 90/80 R17 size. Anyone has info on the current availability in Bangalore and the shop name(s), please share.
Weathered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:20   #643
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here knows who the Vee Rubber dealer is in Bangalore? Anyone exists?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 07:26   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Anyone here knows who the Vee Rubber dealer is in Bangalore? Anyone exists?
You're a couple of years late to the party. There used to be a Vee Rubber dealer until about 2011, haven't heard anyone else starting since then. If you do find someone, do update on this thread. Vee Rubber has a nice juicy 130/80-17 dual sport that's a perfect fit on my bike and can match the Michelin Sirac.
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 01:50   #645
BHPian

Anyone tried pirelli sport dragon tyres on their bikes.! Planning to change to those for my CBR 250r.

Is it a wise choice of should I go for something else... Kindly suggest.
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote