Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st August 2012, 12:08   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I plan to take the bike with a pillion to Leh next year. How would the V1 tyre fare in mild off-road? Is it prone to punctures?
The R15 V1 rear tyre was notorious for easy punctures. Using tyre slime helped the owners avoid frequent punctures. But yes as Sagar has mentioned, best not to do Leh with such a soft tyre.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 12:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Unfortunately , there are very less after market options in that size. Difficult to find them . You can get in touch with millivisions in Bangalore for options in that size. He stocks them or can get them for you.

How do you find the tyres on duke?
Thanks Sagar. will try Millivisions sometime soon. Tad disappointed with the tire on the Duke. I do not do off road. But do long, quick weekend rides. I already see two cracks on the tire about an inch long. and the bike's run about 4000 kms so far.

Last edited by Shubz : 1st August 2012 at 12:48.
Shubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:57   #63
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I own a 10k driven RTR180 which I want to use to go to Leh with Pillion next year.But before and after that trip I would be using my bike purely on wet/dry tarmac in and near Pune. Now I want a tyre of contradictory requirements. I want the tyre to be of hard compound so as to avoid punctures especially with pillion but at the same time want it to have soft compound properties like good grip on wet tarmac conditions. I also dont want to upsize from my stock 110/80 x 17.

I have opted for two tubeless options

a) Zapper C or Honda Dazzler rear tyre -110/80 x 17 or

b) Ceat Vertigo Sport 100/80 x 17.

Last time I had been to Leh on my stock TVS Tyres the only time I was slipping was on Wet tarmac in Jawahar Tunnel.But I was fine with stock hard compound tyres in dry conditions over gravel/debris.So it proves that I am a slow driver.

I know Ceat Vertigo sport is a very good tyre on slush/off-road/gravel etc but I doubt its capabilities on wet tarmac. Also once I return from Leh the bike would be used on tarmac most of the time so I feel Zapper C/Honda Dazzler rear tyre would be good one for me and it will work fine for my Ladakh trip also.

Please suggest tyres out of these two. I know soft compound tubeless tyres are hard to find in section 110/80. I cant go for VeeRubber,IRC or Duro as these are not available in Pune.Also I dont want to take the risk of Punctures with Soft Compound tyres.

Please help.
Regards,

Amit
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 14:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Also once I return from Leh the bike would be used on tarmac most of the time so I feel Zapper C/Honda Dazzler rear tyre would be good one for me and it will work fine for my Ladakh trip also.
This above point alone makes a case for Zapper C since you will only do this trip once this year (hope so ). Rather than going for full fledged off road tyres, its better to go for Zapper C where you can do the Leh stint and continue using the tyre on normal tarmac. I think the wet grip on Zapper C is slightly better than TVS Stock tyres but nothing great to write home about.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:39   #65
BHPian

Need to upgrade the front tyre for my Apache RTR fi.

Currently running on 90/90 17 MRF zapper FS (Same as pulsar 220). Is tubed.

I am looking at the tyres from the r15 v2.0 - 90/80 17. However I have no idea where i could get those tyres from in bangalore. Could anyone help me out ?

Also any other options in the 90/90 17 space?

cheers!
sai
sai_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 14:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For front go with eyes closed for R15 V2 front tyre which is 90/80-17- Exact name is MRF Nylogrip Zapper FY1 90/80-R17. But will be available at Yamaha showrooms.If not you can place the order for them at multiple showrooms and hope you get at one of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Need to upgrade the front tyre for my Apache RTR fi. Could anyone help me out ?
You have already been helped out friend. See the above post from Sagar regarding the front tyre for the RTR along with the exact name and how to source it. It is in the same page a few posts above yours. So place the order in the Yamaha showroom and take it once it arrives if it is not available at any tyre dealers.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 16:14   #67
BHPian

I've used various tyres, with various patterns in the past for the RE's I've owned. After over a decade of experimenting, I've finally found the killer combo Though the front and rear tyres are of different makes, they make the ultimate combo for my Royal Enfield 500. So here are the specs:

Front- Pirelli MT 60 (110-19-inch) Cost- 2.8k (Figures may vary according to availability/stockists)

Rear- Michelin Sirac (120-18-inch) Cost- 3.2k (Figures may vary according to availability/stockists)

Pros (Both tyres)

1) Brilliant grip on both wet and dry surfaces.
2) Sticks like a leech around corners.
3) Look great

Cons (Both tyres)

1) Expensive.
2) Lack of availability.
3) Road noise.

But trust me, this is the ultimate combo IMO.

If any one plans to go in for this combo inflate the front with 18 psi and the rear with 24 psi (Yes, this seems much lower than the recommended tyre pressure, but take my word for it, it works!)

Cheers!
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 19:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Default MRF Zapper FY1 90/80-17

Finally replaced my pulsar 180's front tyre with the R15 V2 front tyre. I was running previously on the R15 V1 front tyre ,ie, Zapper FY for the past 19000 kms. The tire had worn off along the center groove but the tread at the sides were still present. But the main problem was the tire had started to leak air from the point where it comes in contact with the rims which was leading to pressure loss of 4 psi everyday for the past 10000 kms. So structurally, the tire gave up its integrity pretty early. But had too keep using it since the tread was there . Today afternoon when i checked the pressure, it had dropped to 10 psi from 28 psi in 3 days. The grip had also reduced a lot since 5K kms and it no longer gave me confidence during hard braking!

Hence made up my mind to change the tyre.Called up a nearby Yamaha dealer who said the tyre is in stock. So off i went to the dealer,bought the tyre and got it fitted at a nearby tyrewallah.When he deflated the tyre to remove it from the rim, i was in for another shock. The tyre deformed completly and many small potholes came up on the surface of the it. And when it was completly removed from the rim, it became a '0' instead of a 'O' . This is bad.Thanked God , i made a right decision to change the tyre.

Will post a full review of the new tyre once i have ridden it for a 1000 kms.

Meanwhile, rating for the old FY 80/90-17
The tyre was used for 19000 kms.Grip was superb till 10,000 kms later it started tapering.Braking was sharp and accurate too 12-13K kms. But the tyre lost its integrity in 10K kms when it started leaking air from the rim-tyre joint. Started tramlining a lot for the past 5-6K kms under hard braking.

My rating would be
Grip(dry+wet)-8/10 - Unarguably one of the grippiest tyres you can get in indian market which can be used on most of the <200 CC bikes running of 17'ers

Durability- 5/10 - True, its a soft compound tyre and cant expect more life from it. But deformation of tyre is not acceptable . I suggest users of this tyre to use it for max 15K kms and change it after that . Coz,the tyre would have served its purpose till then and the grip would have started tapering.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 19:51   #69
BHPian

Almost no word on the MRF revz 140/60 -17 . Come on guys , it isn't that bad tyre . I know many Fz owners will have horror stories about the tyre , but it has one of best grip levels . I miss the amount of confidence that tyre gave to me . I switched to ContiGo for my Fz-16 . The grip levels are decent , ride has improved considerably. And it looks like it will last long .
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 22:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Almost no word on the MRF revz 140/60 -17 . Come on guys , it isn't that bad tyre . I know many Fz owners will have horror stories about the tyre , but it has one of best grip levels . I miss the amount of confidence that tyre gave to me . I switched to ContiGo for my Fz-16 . The grip levels are decent , ride has improved considerably. And it looks like it will last long .
If you want to review this tyre then please proceed and pen a review in the format presented in the first post.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 20:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Default MRF Zapper FY1 90/80-17 Review

MRF ZAPPER FY1 ( R15V2 Front tyre)

Application-Front tyre
Size- 90/80-17 Tubeless
Price - 3100 at Yamaha Showroom.

Pros:
Grip
Feedback
Stability
Awesome Braking

Cons:
None

Okay, So its been one week since i have started using this tyre on my pulsar 180 UG3 and i can describe it in one word- PHENOMENAL!

The tyre grips,grips,grips................................. .............,and grips!

Want to throw around the corners- check.
Emergency lane changes- check
Emergency braking -Hell yeah!

One thing i like a lot is the feedback this tyre gives.It will say exactly how much pressure you need to apply on the brake lever.It also provides excellent feedback of the type of tarmac.Its sibling the FY did not provide much feedback.And it never locks or squeals no matter how hard you brake.

The braking in dry once the tyre is warmed up is mind boggling.To say in figures, i was able to stop my pulsar from 70-0 in 30 feet using the front brakes only! You can feel the G-force when you brake!And the bike stops in a dead straight line.So squealing,no slipping,no sideways movement.One more noticeable point is the handle bar stays straight under hard braking.Its your sibling(Zapper FY) used to tilt the handle towards left under hard braking but this doesn't .

Sometimes i feel my pulsar 180 does not do justice to the grip level this tyre provides.But i am sure that i can bank upon this tyre to save my skin during those emergency situations!

Verdict- The best replacement tyre for Indian conditions than can be used on any bike whose front tyre specs read 2.75-17, 90/90-17 . Pulsar and RTR owners-Chuck the factory tyre out and replace it with this tyre .Or if your existing tyre is up for replacement go for this tyre without any hint of doubt ! It can convert a normal street bike into a corner craving SBK

Ride Safe
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:07   #72
BHPian

Hello,

My R15 tires are almost wearing out. About 9 punctures in two months time. The stock tires being soft compound do take a lot of beating. I plan to change my tires, this time don't feel like getting the stock ones though they being excellent. Mileage being my main concern. These are wearing off even before 15k km. Want something that can withstand our Indian roads. No plans of changing the size.

It would be helpful if anyone from Hyderabad gives a dealer number or help me with the purchase. I am willing to ship them from other states provided the dealers are quoting the appropriate price( the rear costs less than 2k)

I am particularly looking for

continental conti-go 100/90 -17(55p) rear and
continental conti-go 80/90 - 17 front.

In India they do not cost more than 2k each.

Michelin pilots according to the threads give a very bumpy ride , so ruled it out. If all else fails ill end up buying the stock one's.

The IRC tyres tend to skid a lot, as they are out of scaling. Dunlop Rubber i have no clue. The last thing or may be do not like preferring is the Zapper C

The threading pattern seems fine but the punctures make me feel the life is done. attaching pics for a better idea.

Front

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-imag0018.jpg
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-imag0019.jpg

Rear

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-imag001601.jpg
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-imag001701.jpg

Please help guys.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 23:01   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Fill puncture sealant (something like Slime) and sleep peacefully.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 08:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath
Hello,

It would be helpful if anyone from Hyderabad gives a dealer number or help me with the purchase. I am willing to ship them from other states provided the dealers are quoting the appropriate price( the rear costs less than 2k)

Please help guys.
I suggest you go for mrf zapper vyde 120/80 on the rear and get the r15 v2 front tyres up front. You Wil have the balance of grip and life. Also the zapper vyde does not get punctured easily and its pretty grippy too.

How much have you run on stock tyres?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th October 2012 at 17:47.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 13:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you go for mrf zapper vyde 120/80 on the rear and get the r15 v2 front tyres up front. You Wil have the balance of grip and life. Also the zapper vyde does not get punctured easily and its pretty grippy too.

How much have you run on stock tyres?

I have done around 12k km. ( previous set did not wear out till 20k km ) zapper vyde isn't tubeless right. Also vyde increases the overall weight. I will have to ride or some pretty bad roads on way to work and cant image a puncture without tubeless tires. got so used to rolling with tubeless tires cant go back to the tube ones.

Any idea on how michelin pilots would suit r15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Fill puncture sealant (something like Slime) and sleep peacefully.

I dont think the sealant would help. Should upgrade to something durable.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th October 2012 at 17:45. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote