Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th May 2012, 20:32   #1
SAS
BHPian

Angry Issues with my Yamaha SZ (Oil leak etc.)

Hi,

I have a Yamaha SZ and while it is a good bike at a good price point, I have been facing several issues with it. I have highlighted these to the service center on the past 2 occasions and they have failed to rectify it. I've been going to their factory outlet service center in Malad Mumbai and I'm not happy with the fixing of the issues. Hence need your suggestions on what could be wrong and what needs to be done to fix it (so that I can give a piece of my mind to the idiots at the service center):

1. Oil is leaking from the engine fins. It is a small leak but an irritant. Please see the attached pics for the issue. Any suggestions on what could be wrong and what needs to be done to fix it?

2. Noise is coming from the steering cone (like a "khat-khat" sound) when I hit the brakes. Needless to say, the idiots at Yamaha have failed to fix it over the past 2 visits.

Any suggestions / inputs are much appreciated. Also please let me know whom should I escalate the matter to since I'm getting really shoddy service from Yamaha's own service outlet.

Edit: forgot to add that the bike is very new (barely 8 months old) and still under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Issues with my Yamaha SZ (Oil leak etc.)-08052012152.jpg  

SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 20:50   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Issues with my Yamaha SZ - need suggestions on potential solutions

Hi SAS, Just a loose steering cone and a leaking valve cover gasket. Nothing to worry about. Do it yourself or take the machine to the service. Half an hour job
Regards Adrian
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 21:43   #3
BHPian

True its just a leakage of the Valve tappet cover gasket/ O ring. The steering cone noise is probably because the cone is not tightened fully. Simple things which an averagely competent mechanic will be able to do so with ease.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 21:55   #4
SAS
BHPian

Thanks @adrain and @amit. I too thought it was simple. Unfortunately those folks at the Yamaha service center don't seem to care.

Anybody knows whom in Yamaha I could escalate this shoddy service by Yamaha's service centers? Any e-mail address or phone number should help. Thanks..
Old 8th May 2012, 22:14   #5
BHPian

I had the same issue with my Pulsar after some 6months of purchase. Tightening of Steering cone should do the trick, worst case changing the steering cone balls. Regarding the oil leak, as suggested in the previous posts, this is do with the Engine seals/Gaskets. Changing these shold take care of the problem.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 11:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi SAS, Just a loose steering cone and a leaking valve cover gasket. Nothing to worry about. Do it yourself or take the machine to the service. Half an hour job
+1. Not a major issue but nevertheless very irritating.

I had large amount of oil leaking from engine fins and from the head area on my Fiero. Got the packing replaced and not a single drop of oil now.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 00:59   #7
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
+1. Not a major issue but nevertheless very irritating.

I had large amount of oil leaking from engine fins and from the head area on my Fiero. Got the packing replaced and not a single drop of oil now.
Thanks. I shall get that checked. The problem is that I have been telling Yamaha exactly that during the past 2 services, yet they fail to understand.

It was rather shocking to see such issues crop up in a new bike. I'll visit Yamaha again this weekend and shall update how it goes. Fingers crossed
Old 10th May 2012, 13:35   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Issues with my Yamaha SZ (Oil leak etc.)

Hi SAS the issue is consumables like spark plug or bulbs or oil or gaskets wont fall as part of the warranty items and hence they are not considering it in. But not of a worry as other members mentioned. The thing is when u leave the bike there they are not bothered and just give it a wash and give it back to you saying its done...The best thing to do is go to the spares division buy the head gasket and the o-ring seals mentioned by other SZ users(when u go to spares they can get you the correct parts) and then take it to their service division and say you bought these from the spares, can you get it replaced while you are waiting...make sure its done which if its a big service center have to believe their words but you can get this done by a local mechanic as well which will be good like you are seeing it in front of your eyes...but make sure the local mechanic is torquing the head bolts at the right manner...

For the cone set or the steering bearing do get it tightened...which again any local mechanic can do.
jayakrishnan_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 08:23   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Issues with my Yamaha SZ (Oil leak etc.)

I had my 5-day old, (odo 90km) SZ-RR's engine stop when I gave the throttle, then even refuse to start. This was on a rainy night at 10pm. I tried everything, put in more petrol just in case, use choke, kick-start a few times with the ignition off ... nothing worked. I had to walk 4kms in the rain before I could get alternate transport

The next day, I got back to the bike & it just started & ran like a charm! The Yamaha guys say it must have been airlock, but its a mystery why my attempts with choke & repetitive kick-start didn't help.

This thread is going to scare people away from Yamaha whose quality control seems to be not great, creating doubts about an otherwise very good bike.
yatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 12:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
I too thought it was simple. Unfortunately those folks at the Yamaha service center don't seem to care.
Yamaha was in doldrums after RX100 - the bug eyed Fazer did not do much to improve their fortunes.

So, when I opted for Gladiator (percusor to SZ), I was literally laughed at by my friends. To boot, even sales and delivery was the pits.

I stuck with my choice and bought it - and faced the same issues you have stated. Similar issues was reported a couple of other Gladiator owners also.

Contrary to what is told, replacing the cone set is not as simple as it sounds. I have had it replaced thrice (twice at Yamaha and once at a nearby mechanic), just to get rid of the khat-khat noise. The third time, I sat in the service station to ensure that the guy users the proper instrument to sleeve the bearings on the cone, and the bearing balls are in good condition. One related issue was that the stem head bolt and washer was also not upto the mark and got them also changed (have had quite a few broken bolts in Gladiator in the last four years). No more noise now :-)

As regards oil leak, valve cover gasket has to be the culprit.

Personally I feel that the spares of Yamaha are not upto the scratch. I am having recurring issues with the front fork oil seals, and the rear wheel sprocket bolts. Also my disc got bent within a year . Luckily, another dealer (in Pune) helped me get a replacement. Had a chat with the officials in Yamaha itself. Since they have had huge success with Fazer series subsequently, I guess the smaller siblings are being ignored!

Does Yamaha have a office in Mumbai? If yes, talk to them...
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote