Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th December 2012, 15:11   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My Yamaha RD350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Jay,
Would there be any maths you did before arriving at the 320 MM size or was it a simple case of you liking them and getting them fitted
Apologies if am asking you lot of question. But am sure this would be a 4 pot disc you have put in and will be very very effective if all the pressures are to optimal level.
Yes i went with the following into consideration to keep both original looks and performance.
1. The RD350B hub is having the spoke numbers matching which is 36.
2. The Ducati 320mm rotor was a perfect fit for the hub as the holes matched and thereby i can rule out the requirement of adapter plates
3. The hub can accomodate the speedo and can work in line with the speedo worms of the 350B.
4. Apart from the hub and the rotors i went almost all with the parts from other bikes in Indian market for the easiness of maintenance. For example like the P220 forks, FZ caliper master, etc as initially i went ahead and picked the OE RD350B front end but the cost of parts to rebuild the caliper itself will make you touch the cost of the front end i incurred.
5. The 34mm inner tubes which were in my bike were shot so the oil seals even if i pay a bomb wouldnt last.
6. Also if we are going with OE set up then we will have to go for uprated fork springs like progressive to control the nose diving effect that will be produced with the disc brakes.

Now Pulsar and FZ parts are easily available like the oil seals so the maintenance issues can be ruled out( i guess so )

7. A 4 pot caliper is more effective with this rotor but as of now am having the FZ16 one which is a 2 pot which is equally effective...and also for the 4 pot caliper to be fitted i needed more time and effort from the mechanical side to get the proper clearance and more spacers to get the spoke clearance...with the caliper holding plate to be made with precise angle into consideration.

Hope this helps.

PS: Please do note i had to get the new front axle as the 350B hub has an axle diameter of 17mm in comparison to the 15mm diameter of the Indian RD front hub. To overcome this situation either a sleeve job to the hub to reduce the hub hole diameter so that we can use the 15mm axle or go for the 17mm axle whichever suits

Last edited by jayakrishnan_v : 4th December 2012 at 15:13.
jayakrishnan_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 15:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnan_v View Post
2. The Ducati 320mm rotor was a perfect fit for the hub as the holes matched and thereby i can rule out the requirement of adapter plates

the cost of parts to rebuild the caliper itself will make you touch the cost of the front end i incurred.
Thanks Jay for a detailed write up and the efforts that you had to incur whilst rebuilding this. My restoration was also delayed with the caliper requiring a reset. To be honest I was lucky enough to lay my hands on a brand new caliper plus caliper rebuild kit (OEM) at relatively decent deals. Caliper rebuild kit costed me around 2K which I would presume is expensive as per Indian Standards.
There are other websites where you will get replica rebuild kits which are quite affordable and quick delivery.

Should bump into you one of these days to catch up with your bike especially for the front disc setup.
You can see my garage for a few glimpses of RD.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 17:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Should bump into you one of these days to catch up with your bike especially for the front disc setup.
You can see my garage for a few glimpses of RD.
Mahesh,

I too hope to meet up with Jay one of these days.

You know Jay is from my home town as well (though much younger), but never got a chance to meet him.

Hopefully we shall meet in 2013

Jay I just bumped in to your thread and Pics. The bike looks nice. Where is it now, in TVM or BLR ?

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 18:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Mahesh,

I too hope to meet up with Jay one of these days.

Ram
Ram Sir,
Sure it would be nice to catch up with you both and if it happens at the same time why not

Jay,
Had you been to the Jan Monthly Meet of RD?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 18:00   #35
BHPian

Hi Ram and Mahesh, Thank you for the kind words at present am back in UK planning for my next visit in August...my bike is back in TVM my home town and is with mybrother....

Ram: if you are going to be in TVM do ping me will pass on my brother's number and you guys can meet up...but we need to meet up for sure as now the RD owners in TVM is growing and growing..we need to have a meet and ride...
jayakrishnan_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 18:21   #36
BHPian

Default Availability of Stock Tyre sizes for RD350

I am looking to replace my current set of stock tyres that are 3.00-18 (Front RiB pattern) and 3.50-18 (Rear).

Please suggest on the availability from any Indian manufacturer? If not what sizes would be the best fit from other manufacturers.
I am from Pune so please suggest a dealer in Pune who has these. Thanks!
Intrepidspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 18:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Availability of Stock Tyre sizes for RD350

Just a thought. Have you tried online?
I m only asking because of the fabulous cash backs and discounts that you get, when you buy tyres online.
Ive bought two sets of tyres on Paytm so far - one set for my Yeti in March 2016 and another set for my Gypsy in December 2016, so I am speaking from personal experience. And both the sets of tyres in question, were honest and of good quality and of recent manufacture as well.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 22:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

From my understanding 3.00-18 Rib pattern is difficult to source (at least from India) OTOH Zappers are available readily.
For the rear, is there any specific reason to look for 3.50-18 instead of 100/90-18?
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 13:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
From my understanding 3.00-18 Rib pattern is difficult to source (at least from India) OTOH Zappers are available readily.
For the rear, is there any specific reason to look for 3.50-18 instead of 100/90-18?
Right. I have enquired with all major dealers in Pune for 3.00-18 Rib pattern and no one has the stock. MRF has listed a RiB RiB plus on their website for the same size but is not available with any of the the dealers. 3:50-18 is the existing tyre on the bike and i am not sure if 100/90-18 in Michelin would create a weight difference so trying to get the same.
Intrepidspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 13:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidspy View Post
Right. I have enquired with all major dealers in Pune for 3.00-18 Rib pattern and no one has the stock. MRF has listed a RiB RiB plus on their website for the same size but is not available with any of the the dealers. 3:50-18 is the existing tyre on the bike and i am not sure if 100/90-18 in Michelin would create a weight difference so trying to get the same.
May be some of the Flagship Stores in the south may be able to source it (Rib).

Boss, as you may know 3.50.18 is the standard size of RD 350 rear. In your opinion 100/90-18 would be a suitable replacement ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 14:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Boss, as you may know 3.50.18 is the standard size of RD 350 rear. In your opinion 100/90-18 would be a suitable replacement ?
I don't call that's a perfect replacement but closest possible option available in market now (from my understanding) It is little wider than 3.50-18

EDIT:
Comparison chart attached
metzeler-technical-information-chart.pdf

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 1st March 2017 at 14:14.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote