Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th May 2012, 13:53   #1
Default Yamaha India to build new $280 million two-wheeler plant

Yamaha Motor Co will spend 15 billion rupees ($280 million) over the next five years on a new two-wheeler factory in India, the Japanese automaker's Indian unit said, as the company ramps up capacity in the world's second-largest motorcycle market.

The new factory, to be built outside India's southern city of Chennai, will begin production in January 2014 with capacity of 400,000 vehicles, rising to 1.8 million vehicles by 2018, India Yamaha Motor said in a statement on Monday.

Yamaha currently has two plants in India and a total capacity of 1 million two wheelers.

Source :Yamaha India to build new $280 million two-wheeler plant - The Times of India

Looks like Yamaha has grand plans for Indian Motorcycle segments. Who knows, We might even get higher CC Motorcycles locally made in India.
cruiser_1982 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 14:18   #2
Talking Re: Yamaha India to build new $280 million two-wheeler plant

This is great news. Won't this reduce the price of their litre bikes? Man! Imagine aggressively priced R6's and R1's or a R15 for less than 80k.

P.S:- I may be excused for going over the top for reactions to Yamaha news. See my signature. Hehe.
nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 14:56   #3
Default Re: Yamaha India to build new $280 million two-wheeler plant

Hope this does not mean a drop in quality of the Bikes.

I haven't personally used the current bikes form its stable, but they look very well built. Also, once I had been to a Yamaha showroom for a looksie and found their built & finish very good. Even the sales guy made it a point to tell me to buy the bike soon before it starts getting manufactured 'here'. Don't know if it was a sales pitch or what.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote