Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st June 2012, 09:24   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Invisible helmets - The Future?

Motion sensors and microcontrollers from STMicroelectronics enable the operation of the airbag bicycle helmet invented by Hövding, a Swedish design house.

The combination of innovative design and state-of-the-art electronics has produced market-unique safety equipment for cyclists in a novel form factor. International studies show that bicycle helmets reduce injuries by at least 60 percent. Four in 10 people who die in cycling accidents would have survived had they been wearing a helmet. Despite these alarming statistics, the vast majority of cyclists do not wear helmets for different reasons: they find them bulky, impractical to carry around, or unflattering to wear. The Hövding gear addresses both the safety and practical aspects of bicycle helmets. Unlike traditional skull shells, the ‘invisible‘helmet is a collar worn around the neck with an airbag folded inside. In an accident, ST’s motion sensors pick up the abnormal movements of a cyclist and send a signal to the airbag, which inflates in a tenth of a second to form a hood that surrounds and protects nearly all of the cyclist’s head and neck, while leaving the field of vision open.

The integrated sensors in the collar detect both linear and angular motion in all three dimensions and recognize complex movements of the user with outstanding precision and speed. To determine an accident condition, the sensor system uses sophisticated algorithms defined from a database of specific movement patterns recorded during hundreds of simulated-accident and normal cycling situations. The electronics in the Hövding helmet are managed by an STM32 microcontroller that makes sure everything functions reliably and on a minimal energy budget. The Hövding helmets conform to EU safety regulations and are CE-marked.

Source: Invisible bike helmet protects with air-bag shell
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 09:27   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Invisible helmets - The Future?

Wonderful idea. Now putting things into perspective in India: suppose I am riding my bike wearing this "helmet" round my neck, what would I explain to the policeman who stops me for not wearing my helmet?
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 10:59   #3
BHPian

What might happen because of a false deploying or failure to deploy is frightening.

Also, this helmet may be more expensive than my bike (Period).

I think I'll stick with my regular helmet. BUT Anxiously waiting for invisible clothes to launch
TaurusAl is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 11:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good point.

Also, in my opinion, there is a whole world of difference between having a bicycle accident at 15-30 kmph and a motorcycle accident at 50- 90 kmph.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 11:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Good point.

Also, in my opinion, there is a whole world of difference between having a bicycle accident at 15-30 kmph and a motorcycle accident at 50- 90 kmph.
My return trip home has an average speed of 27 kmph over a distance of 18 kilometers. Top speed is over 55 kmph.

On my cycle by the way.

And I am one of the slowest cyclists you will meet.

So please do not consider cycling as a slow means of transportation.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 11:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My return trip home has an average speed of 27 kmph over a distance of 18 kilometers. Top speed is over 55 kmph.
Is that based on GPS, specially GPS in a cell phone?
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 11:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Is that based on GPS, specially GPS in a cell phone?
Yes.

Also my Stop watch matches the average time shown by my phone (Asus P527) based gps software.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 13:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Good point.

Not necessarily because it also depends on the speed of the idiot who is going to bang into you
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 13:40   #9
BHPian

Think of this : You are yanking hard at the front brakes to avoid a hazard whilst riding with a pillion. The pillion as usual body slams into you and what is in store for him out of the blue when the helmet deploys - an upper cut ?
I will stick to contemporary riding gear. It makes you look sharp
Regards Adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 16:07   #10
BHPian

Post Re: Invisible helmets - The Future?

^. And if at all I meet with an accident and fall into a barbwire fence. What will happen to the airbags? This is both for the motorcycles and cycles as well. What protection does it offer when we are riding in the rain or a windy place?

For me regular helmets are the choice any day. It will definitely outweigh the invisible helmet feature wise and price wise.
bullet-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote