Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 24th November 2013, 19:22   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Which 150cc Motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
But have owned the FZ for around 4000kms. From my experience, i found it very uncomfortable for my lower back as every bump was felt through the seat. Also owning to the fat rear tyre, its not easily maneuverable when the vehicle is off (removing from crowded parking stands, reversing when seated on the bike etc). My rear rim had an air leakage which was unidentifiable and I had to live with it. Owing to all this, i sold the bike within a short period.

If you are already used to the Unicorn and like the way it rides and its comfort, go for a new one or even go for the Trigger if you want different looks with same mechanical parts. Happy hunting!
abhinav, thanks for the insight. I did not manage a test drive of FZ-S yet. I will take your inputs into consideration before making a decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Unicorn to unicorn change doesn't make much sense. FZ-R may seem bit crude after using unicorn for 5 yrs. I can suggest GS150R, it will be a change with 6 gears and tall neutral seating, best for back. Above CBZ too is a good machine. I think you will find honda/suzuki engines to be smoother than others.

Else why not upgrade? You have already spent 5 yrs on 150cc, why not next 5 on 220-250cc? After all, age will only increase! You can think of ZMR (don't know when the new one is out)
ani_mehar, Thank you for your inputs. The 5 years with Unicorn was definitely wonderful. It suited my driving style very much. That is the reason why I was planning to go for it again. But I will add GS150R as well into the fray now. Will test drive it to see how it compares.

I really dont see a more powerful machine as of now. I seldom cross 60kms / hour and even for that I manage to do only for 1~2 kms stretch on old airport road. Otherwise it is only crawling traffic in Bangalore and I surely would not drive bike on highways.
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:21   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I am currently in a dilemma to choose a new 150cc vehicle between the below two choices.

1. Yamaha FZ-R
2. Honda CB Unicorn

You didn't like Hero CBZ xtreme or hunk ? Both are pretty comfortable bikes .I own CBZ xtreme and I have clocked 20k Kms over a period of 3 years including occasional highway rides. Its a comfortable bike , good grip. No niggles or problems so far . It has the same reliable honda engine and gearbox .The only downside is the lack engine kill switch .

I don't think it will be comfortable for a pillion on FZ compared to unicorn or CBZ. Do take a test ride once before deciding.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:33   #63
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
You didn't like Hero CBZ xtreme or hunk ? Both are pretty comfortable bikes .I own CBZ xtreme and I have clocked 20k Kms over a period of 3 years including occasional highway rides. Its a comfortable bike , good grip. No niggles or problems so far . It has the same reliable honda engine and gearbox .The only downside is the lack engine kill switch .
Sorry to intrude but,
Hero Uses a different gear box for Xtreme. This is not at all reliable.
Gears do slip. There is a neutral between 4th and 5th gear too

I am not sure whether this problem existed in earlier Xtremes. But the new ones have it for sure.

Also, note that breaks are a bit weak on xtreme when compared to Unicorn.

And last but not the least, The cheapest one among Unicorn, Xtreme and Hunk is ... UNICORN. Honda wins hands down when it comes to pricing..
So, The best and the most reliable bike is the Cheapest among its peers. So, i prefer Honda's Unicorn to the desi Zero(oops.. Hero. ).
gemi_kk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 12:04   #64
BHPian

Quote:
You didn't like Hero CBZ xtreme or hunk ? Both are pretty comfortable bikes .
Hi girimaji, I did test drive a CBZ. It is actually very good. But I did not find a big difference between Unicorn and CBZ in the short test drive in terms of driveability and road grip. Lookwise, I would say CBZ is way ahead compared to Unicorn. But I am no college going guy to care more for the looks. I am just looking for a decent and reasonable safe (read better roadgrip and resistance to skid in sudden braking conditions) motorbike to commute to work.

Moreover, having been using Unicorn for the past 5 years, I am very much used to it and hence decided I will stay with the Unicorn rather than trying out CBZ. The final shortlist stilll stand with the Unicorn, FZ-S and the GS150R. Did not have a chance to test drive FZ-S and the GS150R yet. Also, I would never have a pillion during the ride since the bike is primarily to travel only to work. Hence I dont care for the pillion rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post

And last but not the least, The cheapest one among Unicorn, Xtreme and Hunk is ... UNICORN. Honda wins hands down when it comes to pricing..
So, The best and the most reliable bike is the Cheapest among its peers. So, i prefer Honda's Unicorn to the desi Zero(oops.. Hero. ).
gemikk, looks like you have had a bad experience with Hero sometime. It can happen with any bike. Finally it boils down to how an individual is comfortable with his bike. For each his own. Luck plays a part here too..

It was just a short test drive with CBZ and hence I cannot comment on the braking between CBZ and Unicorn over the long run. But I found it equally good as the Unicorn probably because it was still brand new. (I was given a new CBZ as test drive vehicle)

Last edited by gopikb : 25th November 2013 at 12:08.
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 12:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to intrude but,
Hero Uses a different gear box for Xtreme. This is not at all reliable.
Gears do slip. There is a neutral between 4th and 5th gear too

I am not sure whether this problem existed in earlier Xtremes. But the new ones have it for sure.

I may be wrong about the gear box. So far I had no trouble with it. There are some other forums dedicating threads for CBZ/ hunk , no where it has been mentioned about a bad gear box or false neutral. Like GopikB said , you could have had a bad experience. Most service centers replace the rear drum brakes of CBZ with splendors brake shoes and hence the waek braking. I never noticed this earlier , but my local mechanic insisted that I buy CBZ brake shoes and now there is significant difference.

Quote:
Hi girimaji,to travel only to work. Hence I dont care for the pillion rider

I agree , I think GS150r is a very comfortable bike ,but the wide tyres on FZ may provide more grip.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 12:37   #66
BHPian

I think GS150r is a really good bike to consider, have seen quite a few in pune here and also in the showroom close to my office.

have a read through the review below.
http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/suzuk...t-ride-review/
Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 13:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally it boils down to how an individual is comfortable with his bike. For each his own. Luck plays a part here too..
Totally agree with this statement. At the end of the day if you are happy with the bike, nothing else matters. And like you say, luck plays a major part in ensuring you do not end up with a lemon. For example, the FZ that i landed up with had quite a few issues/niggles. But it still handled very well and was confidence inspiring in corners. I could not live with a bike with niggles since I was going to use it mainly for long rides during that time. So sold it off and booked my losses. This does not mean all FZ's will be the same and I cannot write it off!! Just ensure you take a long test ride and settle for the one you can connect with the most.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 14:16   #68

Quote:
gemikk, looks like you have had a bad experience with Hero sometime. It can happen with any bike. Finally it boils down to how an individual is comfortable with his bike. For each his own. Luck plays a part here too..
Mate, I am just saying what i have experienced. It doesnt matter whats my experience with the company.

I often ride one of my friends new CBZ Xtreme, the one which was refreshed in 2012. (I think). It definitely has the gear box issue. Check some reviews in Mouthshut, you will definitely find some reviews. I just tried and found some.

Quote:
I may be wrong about the gear box. So far I had no trouble with it. There are some other forums dedicating threads for CBZ/ hunk , no where it has been mentioned about a bad gear box or false neutral.
The earlier models might not have this issue. may be. Not sure. because i havent ridden them.

Regarding breaking, the new Xtreme is much taller and ~7+ KGs heavier than the old model (Wiki says 143KG for the old one. Hero moto corp says the weight is 150 KG for the new one). However no improvements werent made to the breaking system. The same old Disk and drum were plonked in the new model too. I hope this one point sufficess my justification.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 14:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
M

Regarding breaking, the new Xtreme is much taller and ~7+ KGs heavier than the old model (Wiki says 143KG for the old one. Hero moto corp says the weight is 150 KG for the new one). However no improvements werent made to the breaking system. The same old Disk and drum were plonked in the new model too. I hope this one point sufficess my justification.
I believe there is an option of rear disc brake too . The newer models came factory fitted with rear disc brakes.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 14:42   #70

Quote:
I believe there is an option of rear disc brake too . The newer models came factory fitted with rear disc brakes.
Rear disk brakes are not meant to be hard. If they are hard, like the front ones, the vehicle tails like a fish. So, the rear disks concept is merly cosmetic.

They provide better breaking power. But, it wont be significant.

The rear disks perform very well, if the vehicle weight is more and if it has a better profile rubber at rear. This formula doesnt work well with economy grade vehicles and tyres. Best example could be Pulsar 220.

Comming to stopping power, the front disk plays an important role in bikes. If the vehicle dynamics like height, width, weight are increased without making any changes to front tyres & disks. i think, it would be worse than what they had initially.

P.S. i dont have any statistics or other charts. Just saying on experience.
Also, Pulsar Rocks when it comes to breaking.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 20:31   #71

I recently purchased an FZ. I was pretty much sold on the looks and the way the bike handles. Despite there not being much power, the initial torque itself is quite enough to have some fun. I am quite confident chucking the bike around corners too. Braking-wise too, I find the brakes to be sufficient!
SidVenugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 19:42   #72

Question 150cc Bike with good stability

I am 5'7" , 70Kg and have been riding a Hero Honda Passion Plus for past 4 years and am looking to buy a new bike.
My number 1 priority is stability. No Yamaha/TVS/Bajaj.
The thing I dislike about my bike is when riding along with a pillion over speed of 45-50 kmph,the handle seems to loose the planted feeling and doesn't inspire confidence to go beyond that. Is it is the problem with all light 100cc bikes ?.
I think Honda Unicorn Cb is a reasonably heavy bike and could give me good stable planted feel riding with pillion. RE Bullet is too heavy , otherwise I would have just chosen it, no second thoughts.
I would like you guys to give me inputs and suggestions for my requirements
Thank You
Carafooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 10:23   #73
BHPian

Default Re: 150cc Bike with good stability

Honda Unicorn CB is no doubt a good bike. Do test ride the HH Hunk and CBZ xtreme (if you like the looks ) .If you don't mind a tall bike , test ride the suzuki GS 150r .
The weight of your pillion does matter too. If your pillion is heavier than you , then the handle will be lighter due to obvious reasons.
Why do you think Yamaha , TVS or Bajaj are unstable ?
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 10:36   #74
BHPian

Carfooz, Not sure why you consider Yamaha, TVS and Bajaj to have unstable bikes. There are good and cheap models from every manufacturer to address the needs of every market segments and I think you should test drive for your needs and choose the bike.

I was riding a Honda Unicorn 150cc for more than 5 years between 2008 and 2013. Wonderful bike no doubt. Served me very well for 5 years with good stability and brakes for city riding. Last November, smoke started coming out of exhaust and Honda service quoted 10K cost and the need to rebore engine when I had completed close to 60K kms.

I decided not to spend anymore on the 5 year old bike and sold it and bought a Yamaha FZ-S. It has all the good characters from Unicorn except that the mileage is marginally low at 40km/l. My Unicorn was also giving me only 43~45km/l. So it did not pinch much. But the biggest difference is the braking, control and increased stability provided by the FZ-S. Thanks to the wider tyres which makes it possible. Driven 5K kms with the FZ-S and I donot regret the decision.

Test drive and take a call which bike suits you the best. All the best
gopikb is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 10:55   #75
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carafooz View Post
The thing I dislike about my bike is when riding along with a pillion over speed of 45-50 kmph,the handle seems to loose the planted feeling and doesn't inspire confidence to go beyond that.
Yes, 100cc bikes are never meant to be positive handlers. For the owner, it's just to get from A->B with good FE and less stress.

You have not mentioned budget to buy a bike.
CB-unicorn/trigger is a very good bike and handles well. The pulsar 200NS is a briliant handler. Bullets handle well, but it's only at slow speeds that you feel the weight of the bike. And bullets have a very long waiting period.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote