Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th September 2016, 18:50   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Hillram,

Taking it for granted after seeing your collection that you are the expert on Vespa's on the forum.

I am having a couple of issues with my 2012 Vespa LX125 (also yellow) in Goa.
If I leave the scooter unused for a couple of weeks, I always disconnect the battery. However, when I get back and try to start it, it takes ages even with alternating between kick starter and self start. The battery (Amaron) is relatively new.
Once it starts and I take it for a short spin (1 to 2 Kms) there is no more starting problem. What could be the issue here?

The digital clock also refuses to come on but after a few days it springs back into life. However, it is very dim and almost impossible to read at night.

Even though I had just replaced the front brake pads, after leaving the scooter for a month they were completely seized up. Had to get a mechanic to the house to sort this out. Side stand and centre stand were also seized up. A real pain.

My neighbour has a 10 year old TVS Scooty and when he comes back after a month or more it starts perfectly and has no problems at all.

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Regards,
SS
Hi SS..I wouldnt call myself an expert in Vespa, but have considerable experience in these Italian scooters.
My first advice is not to disconnect the battery as it powers the digital clock to run even when the scooter is turned off.
I have the same 2012 LX 125 and believe me, Im still running on stock battery.The trick to start LX125 on a cold note is as below :
Step 1 : With out turning the ignition key on, use the kick rod 4-5 times and give a 5 second gap.
Step 2 : Open the Choke and kick start (with out turning on the ignition key) 2-3 times and then turn on the Ignition key and kick start with Choke on. Your engine should revv now and all through never raise the throttle as it will flood the carburetor.Once the the engine is revving, turn off the choke and increase the throttle until the idling speed is good(which means that engine has heated up).
This is the trick I use as I too use my Vespa once in 2-3 weeks.

I never had any problems with brake pads and Stand.
Let me know the status..Thanks
hillram is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 18:56   #197
BHPian

Hi Hillram,

Thanks for the quick response.
That's an interesting fix for the starting problem. I always used to turn the ignition key on.
Will keep you updated.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 23:52   #198
BHPian

Hi Hillram,

I did exactly as you suggested and the scooter started at the first attempt.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 23:56   #199
Senior - BHPian

You'd anyways attempt the same number of kicks to get the scoot started I suppose.

Irrespective of ignition on or off, the motive in the above procedure seems like the scoot should start with first kick when ignition is on, rather than scooter should start with first kick.

Just trying to understand how this works.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote