Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd May 2013, 16:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik51094 View Post
Sir, what is the mileage that you are getting? My vespa's giving only 40-45 as against the tall claims of the company (60 kmpl).
Im getting an FE of 40-42. Vespa India is assuring 50kmpl.
60 is mission impossible !!!
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:45   #107
BHPian

Talking Re: My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Im getting an FE of 40-42. Vespa India is assuring 50kmpl.
60 is mission impossible !!!
Funny thing is my vespa's giving me only 30-32kmpl if i ride it slowly (b/w 25-35 kmph). On the other hand, it's giving me 40-45 kmpl when i maintain the speed above 60kmph!
kaushik51094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 16:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

When I test drove the scooter, the SA informed me that you can get 40-50 kmpl (big range) once the bike gets a little hotter (riding for longer distance, rather than grocery trips), because it has got an Aluminium engine.

I was sold for the scooter except for the absence of discs & the price. I still wish I don't hear to my family & fall for metallic crush .
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 17:22   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I was sold for the scooter except for the absence of discs & the price..
They have a piaggio fly with disc brakes scheduled to launch around october.

It does not look like a vespa though (saw pictures at the service centre )

Looked more like a wego to me

On the kmpl part i have been getting 35-40 ,nothing beyond that(post 2 services)

P.S :- I do enjoy the attention people give at a traffic stop and ask me about how is the scooter performing ,the moment you tell them its 70k on road and does not give more than 40 kmpl, the look on their face is priceless(maybe somewhere down there they would be wondering 'why didnt this fool buy an ( activa/wego/access/ray)'

Last edited by Rajesh Rawal : 27th May 2013 at 17:34.
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 19:53   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
P.S :- I do enjoy the attention people give at a traffic stop and ask me about how is the scooter performing ,the moment you tell them its 70k on road and does not give more than 40 kmpl, the look on their face is priceless(maybe somewhere down there they would be wondering 'why didnt this fool buy an ( activa/wego/access/ray)'
I've had so many such experiences too. But, what i find more interesting is that, people compare it with activa (as if that's the benchmark among scooters). Even if they compared it with access or swish or rodeo, i wouldn't mind, but activa I kinda don't like the activa much (don't hate it completely though). And when people ask "why such a high price?", i tell them it's due to the 3 valve engine and the monocoque chassis and they're like "oh ok, whatever that is" - i love that expression They ask no more questions from me thereafter..
kaushik51094 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 09:59   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik51094 View Post
I've had so many such experiences too. But, what i find more interesting is that, people compare it with activa (as if that's the benchmark among scooters). Even if they compared it with access or swish or rodeo, i wouldn't mind, but activa I kinda don't like the activa much (don't hate it completely though). And when people ask "why such a high price?", i tell them it's due to the 3 valve engine and the monocoque chassis and they're like "oh ok, whatever that is" - i love that expression They ask no more questions from me thereafter..
Also, tell them to tap on your scooter's body & Activa, they will realise an important distinction - Fiber Vrs Metal body.

If somebody is close enough ask him to ride as pillion, & ride the flyovers at 60+ kmph, challenging then to repeat the same on an Activa. After all this, show them the detachable under seat storage on your scooter & inform them that the Activa does not have it.

Top all this with a parting shot - "This beauty is not just skin deep". I am sure he/ she will be bowled over.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 28th May 2013 at 10:01.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 20:32   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
If somebody is close enough ask him to ride as pillion, & ride the flyovers at 60+ kmph, challenging then to repeat the same on an Activa.
Yup, all these are true alright, but about the quoted words above.. The problem is, since the vespa's seat is short, many people find it difficult to ride pillion. Also, the side footboard (the one used by the ladies) is taller than in other scooters. As a result, my mom finds it difficult to get on and off the scoot. So, i would rather prefer not to take anyone pillion, which will prevent people from talking ill about my possession. i was one who never wanted a vespa, and came out of the showroom telling my mom "No, not at all worth the money.". But, now, my vespa feels OSM. One needs to spend some time with this to enjoy. Now, i'd tell that, just for the fact that it pulls so many stares, it's totally worth the money and, the performance just blows me away everytime the throttle is twisted! I'm in love with this beauty - my first girlfriend
kaushik51094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 15:10   #113
BHPian

Has anyone here changed the tyre for their Vespa? The stock tyre are way to slippery in the monsoon. Don't feel confident while taking a slight angled turn. Can someone suggest what tyres to go for?
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 15:19   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Has anyone here changed the tyre for their Vespa? The stock tyre are way to slippery in the monsoon. Don't feel confident while taking a slight angled turn. Can someone suggest what tyres to go for?
Check for imported tire options if you have the time otherwise go for Nylogrip Zapper as seen on the new model

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/2013-ve...features-added
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 16:07   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Check for imported tire options if you have the time otherwise go for Nylogrip Zapper as seen on the new model

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/2013-ve...features-added
Ohhk. I was hoping someone would have felt the same about the stock tyres and have gotten rid of them. Don't have any faith in their stock tyres. And now if these Nylogrip zappers are what they're giving out, I would like to know if anyone have got them.
Old 14th June 2013, 10:16   #116
Senior - BHPian

1 year up with my Yellow Wasp. I received a prompt telephone call today morning from Vespa India congratulating me on this 1st Anniversary and reminding to bring my Wasp for annual servicing.
Sheer delight on my face
Attached Thumbnails
My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion-5.jpg  

hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 18:01   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know if anyone have got them
I doubt it. Scooter owners generally tend not to be enthusiasts like their motorcycle counterparts & keep their rides mostly stock.
Quote:
Ohhk. I was hoping someone would have felt the same about the stock tyres and have gotten rid of them. Don't have any faith in their stock tyres. And now if these Nylogrip zappers are what they're giving out, I would like to know if anyone have got them.
Having said that, its more about safety than sport.
I still have a scar from when I fell from my Kinetic Honda (on Srichakra tires)

Vespa themselves don't have any faith in the stock tire and offer the Nylogrip on the high end model. Do you really need a bigger endorsement?

Last edited by Mpower : 18th June 2013 at 18:02.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 19:13   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I doubt it. Scooter owners generally tend not to be enthusiasts like their motorcycle counterparts & keep their rides mostly stock.

Having said that, its more about safety than sport.
I still have a scar from when I fell from my Kinetic Honda (on Srichakra tires)

Vespa themselves don't have any faith in the stock tire and offer the Nylogrip on the high end model. Do you really need a bigger endorsement?
Yep. It's all about safety for me. I hardly ever cross 50kmph. I was just asking if anyone actually has gotten the tires on their Vespa replaced by something that is more safe. I have no clue about this particular tire in question, hence asking for a personal advice, not what Vespa thinks is better.

Last edited by creative420 : 18th June 2013 at 19:15.
Old 18th June 2013, 20:01   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yep. It's all about safety for me. I hardly ever cross 50kmph. I was just asking if anyone actually has gotten the tires on their Vespa replaced by something that is more safe. I have no clue about this particular tire in question, hence asking for a personal advice, not what Vespa thinks is better.
For the reasons I outlined before, you are not likely to find it. So, given the situation, it makes sense to adopt what Vespa is offering on the VX.

Secondly, note that the Zapper is quite popular on premium motorcycles and has gotten positive reviews. Although I'm not certain that the compound and construction is exactly the same for the scooter version, its reasonable to extrapolate its performance for scooters with an acceptable margin of error.

Thirdly, here is ACI's verdict

Quote:
Tyres are improved too, the Vespa VX riding on MRF Nylogrip Zapper tubeless tyres, which we can confirm after this ride provide better grip. The VX also offers good ride quality, and goes round corners with adequate stability.
http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...st-ride.aspx/2

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2813087 (My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion)

Last edited by Mpower : 19th June 2013 at 17:45.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 22:06   #120
Senior - BHPian

The only problem I have with the Vespa is its dimunitive size. I am 6 feet tall and 80kgs, so if I sit on the Vespa's seat, it looks quite strange almost like a circus bear on a bicycle.
I feel the Vespa looks good only for petite ladies, young teenage boys and the likes, for an average to large man, the vespa is very very tiny!!!
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote