Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 16:53   #1
Unhappy Is Yamaha going away from India?

The Yamaha dealer from where I bought my Gladiator now sells furniture and to my shock of life the oldest yamaha dealer in my town is now selling mahindra rodeos scooter

I went to the dealer to buy engine oil for my bike (as I always use Yamalube and prefer to change it myself) and was confused seeing mahindra logos everywhere. Anyway I went to spare parts section and the man there recognized me and started smiling. He said "swadeshi apnaye" and pointed me to some local spare parts shop for the oil.

Now I don't trust these small shops for keeping geniune oil and how I am suppose to get bike serviced now? Roadside mechanics here are not good ones and always ruin the machine more than fixing it

There is one more Yamaha dealer and I will check if they are surviving or not.
Old 29th June 2012, 17:06   #2
Default Re: Is Yamaha going away from India?

This article should clear any doubts about Yamaha's future in India.

"Two-wheeler manufacturer Yamaha, on Monday, said that it would be setting up a factory in Tamil Nadu at an investment of Rs.1,500 crore, which would be made over five years. It also announced that the Yamaha range of scooters would hit the roads this Diwali.

The proposed facility, at an industrial park on the outskirts of Chennai, would have an annual capacity of four lakh units at the start of operations in January 2014. The capacity would be increased in stages to 1.8 million units annually by 2018.

Addressing presspersons, after the company entered into a memorandum of understanding with the State government, senior executives of India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd., led by its CEO and Managing Director Hiroyuki Suzuki, said the Chennai factory would be the first in the Yamaha group to have a vendor park in its vicinity. This, according to a release, will “bring together the production operations of main external parts suppliers, thus enabling complete synchronisation of external supplier parts production as well.”

The decision on the new facility, Mr. Suzuki said, was “in line with the company's medium-term management plans of enhancing local production levels to meet the demand growth in emerging markets such as India and their export markets.”

Last year, the company, which now manufactures motorcycles in Surajpur, Uttar Pradesh, and Faridabad, Haryana, exported 1.9 lakh vehicles out of the total production of 5.2 lakh units.

Roy Kurian, National Business Head-Sales, said the Chennai plant would initially produce scooters. The company, however, would be making a foray into the scooter market with the vehicle manufactured at its factory in Surajpur, Uttar Pradesh. The scooters would be targeted at young women, he said."

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/business/com...cle3418810.ece
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 18:06   #3
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: Is Yamaha going away from India?

Hashim, just because one or two dealerships close down in a town, it doesn't mean the company is going out of business! Unless you have some more tangible evidence of such a major market development, suggest you steer clear of mere speculation.

Mod Note: Thread Closed.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread