Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th August 2012, 16:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Running-In your New Motorcycle

Hi everyone,

I took the delivery of a Pulsar 180 UG 4.5 and have completed 350 kms. I have tried hard(very hard in a new smooth running engine) not to cross 4000 RPM(max 4300 RPM) in any gear with a top speed 55-56kmph.

Occasionally due to my unmindfulness, I reached 65+ kmph(down a flyover) but only for a couple of seconds after which I slowed down to 55 kmph.

The user manual states to maintain speed <44 kmph for the 1st 1000kms and < 55kmph for the next 1000kms.

I have the following queries:

1) Do I need to worry about something, having crossed the stipulated speed during running in?

2) Is it mandatory that I strictly maintain the above speed limits for 2000kms or is there a relaxation? If so to what extent is the relaxation?

3) What is the steps to run-in a bike perfectly(I found this link but it doesn't open. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power)?

3) Should I go in for the Bajaj recommended DTSi engine oil or any other better choice?

4) At what time, should I go in for the 1st service and 2nd service? I used to change the oil in my previous bike at every 2k-2.2k kms.

5) Every morning, I let the bike idle for 2 mins before moving on and then ride it meekly for 2 kms before freeing up a bit. Anything else to be done to ensure good engine life?
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 17:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Running-In your New Motorcycle

I don't think the fundamentals would be too different. Do check out this thread : How to Run-In Your Car (ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 17:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I took the delivery of a Pulsar 180 UG 4.5 and have completed 350 kms. I have tried hard(very hard in a new smooth running engine) not to cross 4000 RPM(max 4300 RPM) in any gear with a top speed 55-56kmph.

Occasionally due to my unmindfulness, I reached 65+ kmph(down a flyover) but only for a couple of seconds after which I slowed down to 55 kmph.

The user manual states to maintain speed <44 kmph for the 1st 1000kms and < 55kmph for the next 1000kms.

1) Do I need to worry about something, having crossed the stipulated speed during running in?

2) Is it mandatory that I strictly maintain the above speed limits for 2000kms or is there a relaxation? If so to what extent is the relaxation?

3) What is the steps to run-in a bike perfectly(I found this link but it doesn't open. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power)?

3) Should I go in for the Bajaj recommended DTSi engine oil or any other better choice?

4) At what time, should I go in for the 1st service and 2nd service? I used to change the oil in my previous bike at every 2k-2.2k kms.

5) Every morning, I let the bike idle for 2 mins before moving on and then ride it meekly for 2 kms before freeing up a bit. Anything else to be done to ensure good engine life?
Hi Ashish! Congratulations on your Pulsar.

You are doing just fine as far as running-in goes and would say, you are more on the safer side.

When is the first service scheduled at? I bought my P-180 in '03 and then the first service was advised between 500-750kms or 1st month. I believe it was the same for the Karizma I got later.

If the first service is nearing, do the riding as you are doing at the moment and after the first service, you can start opening it up a bit.

In case the 1st service is scheduled at 1,000kms, then get an oil-change and keep varying the rpm's and accelerate in a linear manner.

I think it is fine to keep the bike between 5,500 rpm to 6,500 rpm in 5th gear after the first oil change.

After that keep accelerating further, but don't red-line it just yet and keep building speed progressively. Stick below 8,000 rpm for sustained periods after 1,000kms. Though you may accelerate past 9,000 and then slow down.

You may use Bajaj's engine oil initially and later shift to whatever oil you think is best (grade wise) I always found Valvoline 4T Premium to be the best with Pulsar and most Pulsar riders agree to it.

As far as service interval goes (your point no. 4) you may follow what is in the service manual.

I personally follow the motoman's running-in, but follow only its oil-change procedure. Rest I take it easy, but not as easy as you.

All the best
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new acquisition. Agree with GTO. In addition, dont worry too much about the speeds mentioned in the manual. Stick to below 4k RPM for the first 500kms, change oil, oil filter (if its not centrifugal type), then for the next 500kms take it to 5k RPM occasionally and maintain 4k in general. After 1000kms, short bursts up to 6k rpm and back to 4-5k rpm range. Follow this until 2000kms and in between also do a few quick high speed runs (not sustained high speeds). Should help. And stick to owners manual for servicing. Oil change you can do it as per your needs. I always change oil as soon as i sense harshness of gear changes which is typically after every 1300-1500kms in my RTR. I am on mineral oil.

EDIT: And Sheel has covered everything to the T making my post redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi Ashish! Congratulations on your Pulsar.....All the best

Last edited by abhinav.s : 7th August 2012 at 17:53.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 18:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think the fundamentals would be too different. Do check out this thread : How to Run-In Your Car (ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car)
Thanks GTO. I did check out the thread but since RPM range in cars is lower than bikes(10K in bikes vs 6.5K rpm in cars), I thought to seek more info. Also the thread mentions to maintain the RPM below 2.5K for the first 1k kms which is very low for a bike.

Thus I thought of starting a new thread for Bike Run-in process. I hope its ok.

I forgot to mention that a significant part of my running is in high stop-go traffic. The thread mentions that running a new car in heavy traffic is not good. Is it that bad for the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi Ashish! Congratulations on your Pulsar.

You are doing just fine as far as running-in goes and would say, you are more on the safer side.
I don't like taking any risk.
When is the first service scheduled at? I bought my P-180 in '03 and then the first service was advised between 500-750kms or 1st month. I believe it was the same for the Karizma I got later.
The service schedule is indeed 500-750 kms or 1st month which I will cover in 10 more days max, having already covered 350 kms in 5 days. Do I need to take care of any thing specific during the 1st service other than oil change?
If the first service is nearing, do the riding as you are doing at the moment and .....
....You may use Bajaj's engine oil initially and later shift to whatever oil you think is best (grade wise) I always found Valvoline 4T Premium to be the best with Pulsar and most Pulsar riders agree to it.
Is the Bajaj recommended oil of good quality? It has a drain interval of 10K kms which doesn't seem good. IMO oil should be changed every 2-3K kms.

All the best
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition. Agree with GTO. In addition, dont worry too much about the speeds mentioned in the manual. Stick to below 4k RPM for the first 500kms, change oil, oil filter (if its not centrifugal type), then for the next 500kms take it to 5k RPM occasionally and maintain 4k in general. After 1000kms, short bursts up to 6k rpm and back to 4-5k rpm range. Follow this until 2000kms and in between also do a few quick high speed runs (not sustained high speeds). Should help. And stick to owners manual for servicing. Oil change you can do it as per your needs. I always change oil as soon as i sense harshness of gear changes which is typically after every 1300-1500kms in my RTR. I am on mineral oil.
Mineral oil seems fine for me as I have been using the same since the last 6 yrs.
EDIT: And Sheel has covered everything to the T making my post redundant.
What is centrifugal type oil filter?

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th August 2012 at 18:20. Reason: Left a point
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 18:30   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I took the delivery of a Pulsar 180 UG 4.5
Congratulation. You are having the best Bajaj product.

Quote:

As per your description, NO.
Quote:

No relaxation. Effects cannot be observed immediately, but engine life became shorter.

Quote:

Till the bike is under warranty, you are bound to follow the bajaj schedule & recommendations.

Quote:

Best tip for long engine life & stable tuning.

Last edited by (Alok) : 7th August 2012 at 18:33.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 19:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is centrifugal type oil filter?
I am not aware of the technical difference, but in my Apache, I change the oil filter every time i change oil and it is recommended by TVS as well to do this. But in Pulsar (P220 specifically) it has a centrifugal type oil filter with an oil strainer. Just cleaning this strainer every time you change oil is sufficient and you change the oil filter once every 10,000kms. Same with some of the Hero bikes as well such as Hunk, X-treme etc.

Hope the experts chip in with more accurate details!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 23:32   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. Every engine is manufactured to last long if properly run-in. Be it the pulsar or the marvellous Hondas. You have to keep certain points in mind when zooming on your brand new bike.
  1. Always ride your new bike at speeds of 40-50 km/hr not only to maintain a good run-in but to get optimum fuel efficiency.
  2. Never maintain a constant rpm for more than a minute, means fluctuate your engine speed, if possible try to avoid highway cruising.
  3. Inter-state roads are best for proper run in, as it gives you opportunity to use all gears and to maintain engines uniformity in various load conditions.
  4. Never ever use synthetic oil during the run-in period, as it provides excess lubrication due to its superior lubricating properties and cause the cylinder walls and piston rings to glaze over, which requires expensive cylinder replacement.
  5. During cold starts, don't forget to give about 5-8 minutes of idling before riding in order to ensure proper oil circulation.

Ride safe, wear protective gear.
junaid12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 00:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on your new purchase Ashis.

Running in period is important in any engine. This is the time when there will be accelerated wear on the engine parts as all the manufacturing irregularities get evened out and the moving parts bed in with each other.
There are different schools of thoughts as to how one should approach the running in. Manufacturers advocate a method which involves putting limited load on the components during this phase that is taking it easy during the running in stage. This means no sudden rpm changes and controlled load on the engine.
Motormans technique involves exact opposite approach to this, ripping the engine initially so that the bedding happens quickly and effectively.

Both have been used and quite successfully.

I am an engineer and have run in various engines (some making as much as 20000 Bhp) as a part of my profession. So obviously I would go by the more traditional method of running in.

What ever method you choose, be sure that you give particular attention to your engine oil and oil level. During the running in period, engine will see heightened wear down and the oil may deteriorate faster. Hence ensure that Oil is positively changed and filter cleaned during the first service.

In case you are using the manufacturer's method, you dont have to be absolutely finicky about the speeds. But remember it is not the speed but the rpm that is important. Check what the rpm is at 55Kmph in the top gear and dont exceed that rpm in any gear. Occasionally if you exceed, you dont have to worry, your engine is not that fragile.

Keep varying the rpm, avoid constant rpm but dont exceed the upper limit you have set also dont varying rpm does nt mean sudden changes, go easy on the throttle. Idea is not to load the engine too much too often before the rings and cylinder walls break in.

Wishing you many happy miles on your Pulsar.

Cheers
Ride Safe

Last edited by vibbs : 8th August 2012 at 00:45.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 00:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

This is perfectly alright, dont worry on this. As your are not revving the engine, you can slowly build up speeds and reach till 80 kmph during run-in.

There is no harm in doing that, just ensure you dont revv through gears, ride it normally but keeping in mind not to ride rash, that would do. these are modern day engines unlike those in 90s.

Change the oil within the first 500kms and then change it again around 1500 Kms and then every 3500 kms post that will keep the engine revving for eons without major problems.

cheers,
Chaos
revv_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 15:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
During cold starts, don't forget to give about 5-8 minutes of idling before riding in order to ensure proper oil circulation.
5-8 minutes is overkill IMHO. Idling of about a minute or 2 and then riding in a sane manner for about 3-5kms should warm up the engine sufficiently during running-in.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 16:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Running-In your New Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Keep varying the rpm, avoid constant rpm but dont exceed the upper limit you have set also dont varying rpm does nt mean sudden changes, go easy on the throttle. Idea is not to load the engine too much too often before the rings and cylinder walls break in.
So what about running in a scooter (like Activa/Wego/Access)? Being an automatic gearbox vehicle, isn't it much more likely that inadvartently, I will end up with the engine revving at about the same rpm despite varying speeds?
This is especially true at speeds <40kmph, and it is recommended that we don't exceed 45kmph during run-in.

Does this mean that scooters are almost always not as well run-in as motorcycles?
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 17:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
5-8 minutes is overkill IMHO. Idling of about a minute or 2 and then riding in a sane manner for about 3-5kms should warm up the engine sufficiently during running-in.
Abhinav,
Engine warm up duration depends on how quick the engine gets lubricated.

Cylinder placement. Horizontally placed cylinders will get lubricated pretty quickly, in fact at the moment the engine is started, oil flows to the cylinder. In this case, idling time of just a minute or two is enough to lubricate the cylinders. Vertically placed cylinders need a little more time to get the walls lubricated and the viscous oil needs to be pushed upwards. In this case the engine requires about 5 minutes of idling. Almost all motorcycles available in India uses splash lubrication and vertical cylinder placement. Allowing the engine to idle a couple of minutes is better than riding without sufficient lubrication. Improper lubrication adds to a lot of wear and tear that ultimately reduces engine life.
junaid12345678 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 10:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
You have to keep certain points in mind when zooming on your brand new bike.
  1. Never maintain a constant rpm for more than a minute, means fluctuate your engine speed, if possible try to avoid highway cruising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

Keep varying the rpm, avoid constant rpm but dont exceed the upper limit
Hi,

1. Is there a reason for maintaining constant rpm? My Pulsar 'feels good' when its runs with constant rpm over a distance.

2. Is it only for running-in period? What about the motorcycles with a lot of miles on it. I have a Pulsar 150 DTSi that has done over 71k.

BTW, Just got home last night after 202 km trip from Trivandrum to Kochi on my Pulsar. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 10th August 2012 at 10:22.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 12:02   #15
BHPian

The reason for varying the engine speed during break in is different parts receive different loads at different speeds.
At some speeds, some parts may just be cruising along taking it easy but if the speed changes the part may find itself under a lot of stress and strain.

The new engine needs all of these parts to be gently subjected to these different loads so the parts can acclimate themselves to their environment under all expected future conditions.

Much of this has to do with resonant frequencies of the parts which can be excited (or not) as the engine speed changes.

The proper method that was give above will allow each part to gently adjust to its environment without building up a lot of heat. Excess heat during this period can damage the parts which is why the factories recommend allowing the engine to cool down regularly during break in.

After the engine is thoroughly broken in all of its moving parts will have adjusted to the conditions that are needed so it can be used at constant speeds for long periods of time without causing any harm.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 10th August 2012 at 12:04.
ArizonaJim is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote