Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th February 2015, 23:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bajaj Pulsar 180 : Long term ownership report. Edit, sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
Hi
I have noticed slight oil leakage at the oil-level "check" on the bottom right side of the engine. I never saw this before .
What might be the issue?
Experts please educate me on this .

Its a Pulsar 180 Dtsi 2006 model. Sevicing was done 5 months back and I hardly use the bike (I can say a few Km's/ Week), as I have another bike a Bullet to commute daily to office.
Is it the transparent glass on the gearbox? In earlier days, the glass used to crack leading to oil leak. Clean the area with some soap water and observe for a few days. Also check if the oil level has reduced significantly (topup the oil if necessary). If the oil leak persists then you need to change the glass or the gasket around it.
ashis89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 07:12   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
Hi
I have noticed slight oil leakage at the oil-level "check" on the bottom right side of the engine. I never saw this before .
What might be the issue?
Experts please educate me on this .

Its a Pulsar 180 Dtsi 2006 model. Sevicing was done 5 months back and I hardly use the bike (I can say a few Km's/ Week), as I have another bike a Bullet to commute daily to office.
The oil seal on the glass window often gives way over a period of time. Its an easy fix, next time you get the oil changed, just get the oil seal of the glass window changed aswell.
mehuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Update: Bike Sold
I found a new home for my bike. With my studies over, I am about to move to Hyderabad for my next job. Even though I longed to take my bike along, my father thought it to be "risky" and "unsafe" to ride a "powerful" and "speedy" bike at this age (he says I am getting old and matured ). Thus he requested me to let go of my bike and "slow down". I had to relent so as not to hurt him. He was happy and the next thing he says is, "nothing to worry. You have your car for regular use. Buy a new Activa and ride it whenever you feel like riding" .

Thus after 33 months and 18k kms, the bike has moved on to another caring owner.

Update for the last 4 months:

- Engine oil was changed after 1.9k kms/8 months to Elf Moto Gold 20W50. The bike felt smooth as usual.

- The chain was tightened after ~1.5 years/5k kms. Inspections every 500 kms showed that it was perfect. First time I saw a Bajaj bike holding the chain tension for more than 2k kms. My earlier 2 bikes' chain needed attention every 500-1000 kms.

- After 32 months, original battery (Exide make) got discharged every 2-3 days a few times. Got it replaced with a Amaron (1400 INR. after replacing the old one) without inspecting the old one (my blunder). After a few days I faced the same discharge problem again. I suspected some leakage and took it to the battery shop. They found some leakage in the Minda security system that I had fitted (probably some rodent mischief). They simply disconnected the security system and charged the battery. The problem never recurred in the 20 odd days that I had the bike before selling it off.

- I realized the original battery was absolutely fine. Had I inspected the wiring earlier, the Exide battery would have run fine for some more time. For reference sake during Dec'14 to Mar '15, the bike stood idle for 20-25 days at a stretch and yet started in a single self without any drama.

Note to Mods: You can close this thread or keep it open for the benefit of other owners' discussion.

Last edited by ashis89 : 2nd June 2015 at 11:58. Reason: Punctuations
ashis89 is online now   Reply With Quote