Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th August 2012, 15:01   #1
BHPian

Default Yamaha Enticer - Valve Replacement

Folks,

After having done about 85000 km, there seems to be a need for replacing the Valves of my Yamaha Enticer since oil seems to be leaking to the head; there has been a reduction of 200 ml in the Engine Oil Volume since the last service, and this is the first time this is happening.

I heard from my mechanic that the valves can be lapped and replaced; but he also said that, while doing so, the piston also might need replacement. However, I have my own doubts about this thought. So...
  1. Is it mandatory to replace the Piston also when the valves are replaced?
  2. If the answer to the 1st Question is a NO, then, how long can the Piston go on after the valves have been replaced, assuming it's NOT past its prime.
Solicit your suggestions and advice on the above. Thanks in advance.
revvinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 15:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Yamaha Enticer - Valve Replacement

Simple answer is check clearances and if out of tolerance, replace. Should be easy since and fairly cheap.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 17:30   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha Enticer - Valve Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvinhard View Post
Folks,

After having done about 85000 km, there seems to be a need for replacing the Valves of my Yamaha Enticer since oil seems to be leaking to the head; there has been a reduction of 200 ml in the Engine Oil Volume since the last service, and this is the first time this is happening.

I heard from my mechanic that the valves can be lapped and replaced; but he also said that, while doing so, the piston also might need replacement. However, I have my own doubts about this thought. So...
  1. Is it mandatory to replace the Piston also when the valves are replaced?
  2. If the answer to the 1st Question is a NO, then, how long can the Piston go on after the valves have been replaced, assuming it's NOT past its prime.
Solicit your suggestions and advice on the above. Thanks in advance.
I don't know how do your budgets go, but if possible, sell it. It's quite an old bike. I have a Bajaj Avenger 180 DTS-i (2005) and find it too old to drive. How about getting a new Avenger 220 or 'saddi bullt' ( 'our bullet' in Punjabi)
Abhi_Automobile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha Enticer - Valve Replacement

Hi Abhi,

Even if I did not have a problem of budgets, I would not sell my bike because she's my first and although she's slightly old (as u rightly said), she's still young at heart; and I still get a kick out of opening her throttle and a grin automatically appears on my face. her handling is simply unbelievable and impeccable, better than the Avenger I must say and too good for a cruiser. (actually, better than many bikes like the Pulsar, Unicorn.....)

I would be very sad when I HAVE to let her go. Hoping that the day comes rather late.

Cheers,
BT
revvinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote