Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd September 2012, 13:35   #1
Default Restoration of our TVS 50XL

It was year 1986, December my father was working in Chitradurga and he used to commute to his office on his Atlas cycle. He decided to buy a moped and had two choices to make at that time either a Kinetic Luna or TVS 50 and he opted for TVS 50. He approached Shanti Agencies on BD road, there were 3 versions if I remember correct, TVS 50 with round headlights, TVS 50 Xl with body color fenders and rectangular headlights and TVS 50 XT with chrome fenders and rectangular headlights, he chose TVS 50XL. The vehicle was purchased for Rs.6250 under loan from Syndicate bank and was brought home on January 16th 1986. My father is DIY person and he took good care of the vehicle till he decided to sell the moped in June 1991 because of financial constraint, one of my relative bought it for Rs.4500. It was an accident free vehicle in mint condition till it was with my father, later for next 19 years it went through lot of abuse and very bad maintenance, the engine was rebored once during this period and then later engine was replaced in 2008. The fitness test was done for the vehicle in 2011 and renewed upto September 2015, but last year because of my relative becoming physically challenged his license was not renewed and the vehicle was left on the road outside his house. Then the person approached me for a financial help, I decided to buy back the vehicle and help him out by giving him some money. The moped was brought to our house in a luggage auto on August 19th last month. The vehicle was in a very bad state and was not starting, I decided to restore the moped and give it back to my father. There was a good mechanic near my place who had earlier serviced my Karizma and the vehicle was left at his place, my intent was to get back the vehicle to running and later do the tinkering and paint job myself. I got back the vehicle in running conditon last Saturday and it is now going through paint work. I spent last 2 days in tinkering and roughing up body parts which had to be painted. The first coat of paint has been applied and I am planning to finish the task by this weekend. A few things are needed still, the fuel tank cap is broken, the odometer is not working, the rubber on the pedal is worn out and the plastic cap shown in last image has to be replaced, stickers have to be replaced if some body can help me find a shop for these in Bangalore it will be helpful. I will soon post the pictures of DIY paint work
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img116.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img117.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img118.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img119.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img121.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img122.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img124.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img125.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img126.jpg  

Restoration of our TVS 50XL-img127.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by deehunk : 3rd September 2012 at 13:53.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote