Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th September 2012, 21:29   #1
BHPian

Default Picked Up a 1970 Jawa

Hi All,

I just picked up a 1970 Jawa. Bike was unused for some years. Still, came into life easily with minor carb & points tune-up. Please enlighten me further as im a newbie to Jawa/ Yezdi arena.

Petrol is leaking from the lower end nut side of the Carb. Is there a gasket to be put in? We tried to tighten the nut from outside. But it seems, we need to pluck out the carb again. We had done it once to clean it.

Bike seems to pull easily, but there is some strain to put 3rd & 4th gears. They are not engaging easily always. Something to do with the selector forks?

Compression is good. So is the spark strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Picked Up a 1970 Jawa-jawa.jpg  

Picked Up a 1970 Jawa-jawa-1.jpg  

aruncheloor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 08:42   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Picked Up a 1970 Jawa

The lower end nut as you refer to it is actually the Main Jet capnut and there is no gasket/packing involved there. However on Jawa's it is quite common for these to have stripped or slipped threads. You will need to remove the carb and inspect the nut and either get a replacement [difficult] or do some copper brazing and get it re-threaded.
Difficulty in engaging 2nd and 3rd gear is more likely to be due to less or incorrect grade of oil in the gearbox rather than a problem with the shifter or G.S.forks.It may even be due to a poorly adjusted clutch.
Jawa's need SAE 50 oil for the gear box. Unfortunatly this is not available on the market today. PLEASE DO NOT use multigrade oil as this is NOT suitable for JAWA engines.An alternative I have come up with for use in my Jawa is to mix SAE 90 [gear oil] with SAE 40 in a 50/50 ratio. I have been using this combo for quite a few years with excellent results.
SAE 40 is available as Mac Gold 40
Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 09:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Arun - Did you get in touch with Srini or did Srini get in touch with you? Though there're several experts, I personally believe Srini is the best when it comes to Yezdi/Jawa.

I'm sure you know, but still, here's another way to get in touch with him - http://www.roaringriders.in/index1.htm
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 11:04   #4
BHPian

Wow congrats on your buy Arun! I don't know about the technicalities if the Jawa buy I sure love the design, the wonderful 2 stroke engine and the riding pleasure of this bike! Keep us posted! Love to see the process of bringing this bike back to its complete glory!
thumpingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 19:14   #5
BHPian

Updates-

42 years of active service..The Jikov carb was beyond repair. So, bought a new Pacco Carb for Jawa. Luckily found one in my home town itself. Paid 1k for it. Its the exact replica of the Jikov one. Installed it. Bike ran just fine.

Some oil leak is there under the engine. Needs to inspect. Need to fix the papers first. Most probably, tomorrow i'll fix up the seat. Its in shagged state. I've ordered one OE Jawa tail light too. Lets see.
Attached Thumbnails
Picked Up a 1970 Jawa-pacco.jpg  

aruncheloor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 20:02   #6
BHPian

Congratulations (Although this word is nowhere able to express the feelings).

I presume we will hear the story (how you got the bike? how the bike is in good condition? etc) in flashback, once the minor issues will be sorted out.

There is a JAWA model 353 parts catalog & manual available on the site: (https://sites.google.com/site/alokbalsekar/)
Alok baleskar is a Team BHPian
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 15:11   #7
BHPian

Arun, congrats on the old lady! She seems to be in good nick. Clean out the fuel tank, change the oil, decarb the exhausts, clean the brakes, new cables and you're good to go! And the Pacco P-43 is a good catch, it performs almost as good as the Jikov. There's still no replacement for the Jikov, so keep searching.

In time you can look to other issues/niggles and general maintenance. Meanwhile, we would love to hear her story

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 20:19   #8
BHPian

Hey long time no update on the thread. Was just wondering what is the current status of your beauty. Please post some recent pics / info since we are all hooked onto the thread.
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 13:30   #9
BHPian

Hi all,

Sorry guys.. was busy.. The bike has been restored to its original glory. You can see the pics attached. Most of the parts were sourced from Trichur itself. And others from Delhi via Salil Trehan [Spareswala, FB Group]. A big thanks to him.

Works done..

1. fixed the seat- 500rs
2. repainted the bike [without engine removal]- 4k
3. fixed the auto clutch etc, changed oil, new gaskets put in- 800rs
4. speedometer ring & glass changed- 30rs
5. new cables, levers, mirrors, RK Front brake Assy etc- 1k
6. new Accl assy from Salil - 950rs
7. new jawa TL Assy & flower nuts- around 1.2k including courier
8. new rims & spokes- 550rs per rim KOYO Brand, 5rs per spokes
9. new silencers- 2300rs pair
10. Electroplating on bend pipes, crash guard, handlebar etc-around 2.5k
11. new headlight Assy- 650 bucks
12. sticker & number work - 400rs
13. electrical works, new horn, a used battery - 750rs
14. Labour - 3k apprx
15. Paper work - 6k [11 years pending tax & fine + fine for renewal of fitness]

Altogether, it costed me more than 26k to make her in decent shape. I've also collected spare parts on a huge scale. Atleast worth 25-30k. Including IPL Pistons[almost all sizes], engineer pistons 2mm, IPL Rings, gaskets, auto clutch assy, clutch plate sets, clutch bell, clutch centre, pressure plates, oil seal kits, points & condensors, speedometer, all rubber parts, kick lever, kick & lay shafts, all bearings SKF, crank pin Assys, main stand pins, swing arm bushes, all engine inner washers, pins, kick springs, star bush etc, brake shoes, cables, kick rachet, clutch samoosa, aluminum oil seal, handle nut, nail keys, key type ignition assy, clutch chains, con-sets, side panel screws etc etc items
Attached Thumbnails
Picked Up a 1970 Jawa-jawa-resto.jpg  

Picked Up a 1970 Jawa-jawa-resto-1.jpg  

aruncheloor is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 14:04   #10
BHPian

Wow, that is an amazing restoration, Arun! I had no idea all these spares were really available. Hope you and your Jawa a long and happy life together. Never let go of her.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 14:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
Hi all,

Sorry guys.. was busy.. The bike has been restored to its original glory. You can see the pics attached. Most of the parts were sourced from Trichur itself. And others from Delhi via Salil Trehan [Spareswala, FB Group]. A big thanks
congrats Arun, she looks very reformed compared to what she was earlier. Would the pacco fit the jaws as well? My initial assumptions were it fitted only the road king.
Appears that you have left out the front disc plate cap?

Any reason why you painted without taking off the engine?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 14:16   #12
BHPian

Thanks man. The front drum plate broke while doing elctroplating. I've bought a new one from Delhi. Will be installed next time when i visit my workshop.

I did paint without removing engine to cut on labour. Labour is expensive here in kerala.

Pacco has 2 different models for Jawa & Yezdi

P43- Jawa one with Tickler. This is an exact replica of the authentic Jikov

P47Y- Yezdi one
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 14:24   #13
BHPian

@ Viju

I've collected most of the parts [90%] from Trichur itself. I was lucky enough to find an old shop with some Jawa Yezdi spares. I robbed most of the parts from there. I had to pay huge premiums on parts like IPL & Engineer Pistons etc. Still, worth the money as stocks are close to NIL these days everywhere. I can happily ride this machine for another 50 years if GOD permits me.
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 09:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Would the pacco fit the jaws as well? My initial assumptions were it fitted only the road king.
The Yezdis (Classic, Roadking, etc) came with the Pacco P-47 which has a float bowl integrated at the bottom of the carb, and a tickler carrying a black plastic cap on its top.

The Jawa came with the Jikov carb. Pacco makes a Jikov replica called the P-43. These carbs have the float bowl beside the main chamber of the carb, and a bare metal tickler. Instantly recognisable to all of us.

Both the P-47 and P-43 are easily available new in Delhi, and will fit any of the Y/J motorcycles neatly under the carb cover. But the performance of both the Paccos (the P-43 comes close) is nothing compared to the Jikov!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 10:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
The Yezdis (Classic, Roadking, etc) came with the Pacco P-47 which has a float bowl integrated at the bottom of the carb, and a tickler carrying a black plastic cap on its top.
But the performance of both the Paccos (the P-43 comes close) is nothing compared to the Jikov!
Thanks Rahul, Was Pacco coming in as stock carb for the roadking from the factory? Reason am checking is that my bike has Jikov Carbs and thought Pacco was used as an alternate.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote