Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th September 2012, 19:36   #46
BHPian

Default Re: What bike for 75,000? Ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

May be I can help you out ! Because I own 2008 Fz and my current ride is a ( friend's ) Honda Unicorn . If commuting to office is a requirement , the choice is simple , Honda Unicorn . Simply because it absorbs all the bumps , has got extremely refined engine and comfortable seating position . If you want to add some handling characteristic to it with a dash of newness , go for Dazzler. It handles better than Unicorn , has got more power . If you want to use the full potential of the bike , then only go for Fz . It has its list of pros and cons . But if you maintain your bike , you will enjoy every moment on the bike . I can go on and on about Fz , but I think that should sum it up .
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 20:27   #47
BHPian

All bros here have done a great job in advising you what is good for you. You can barely go wrong with such good insight on each bike recommended.

But you may not like at first for what I think you should do. IMHO do not buy anything now. You already have a gem of a bike the Honda CBR, which I know is more of an exclusive thing right now for you. But believe me its only matter of time you will be at the cross-roads of changing it, and that would be wrong, CBR is just too good to be sold prematurely (with 2 bikes your running will be low). You may ask why will you sell it, just because you will outgrow this bike for your long rides and touring, you will want a 650, believe me you will, its again a matter of time, but since you will have this commuter bike (which you want to buy now) which is newer at home you will not even think to sell it and will dispose the CBR. What you deserve is a CBR for your daily rides too. If this sounds crazy, think about the feel of using this bike everyday. It might sound too much luxury for you right now, but the Hondas are reliable mile munchers, they have a good life, selling a CBR run under 50K Kms is only making the second owner lucky. On the other hand you can save more money and buy a Bonneville some day sooner than later, just do not waste your money on some thing which will be almost like the CBR but in a scaled down version (your requirements portray that) you will out grow that too, simply because you have a better bike right next to it.

BTW I have been in your position with the RE way back in 2002, except that the one I had was the original RE of the 70s and yet it did not impress me as a daily commute bike, otherwise its a good classic for urban weekends.
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 11:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I would suggest you to look into the Honda Unicorn.

Its smooth, reliable, fuel efficient (as you would commute daily) and as far as after sales are I don't think Honda is bad. You take a TD and see.

Riding position is not too forward biased to get you pain in the hands/back.

Anurag.
I have not gone through the other suggestions, but would second Anurag's opinion. We have had one in the family for about 6 years now and it's quite some abuse, but the engine is a gem. There is little to worry about reliability as well. Since you are a Honda user, I guess it's easier for you to adopt to it as well. Service should not be a problem, since you must already be familiar with the people to your closest A.S.S.

Also,do check out the Hero X-treme and the Suzuki GS150R. They are pretty good for commutes. Not suggesting Hunk, simply because I cannot stand it's name (no offense to any owners)
tejus.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 16:40   #49
BHPian

As per my suggestion, Best bikes under 75 are Hero Impulse, Yamaha FZ family, Honda Unicorn, Suzuki GS150 etc. Pulsars are also good.
shiju.dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

I should have mentioned that though I want the bike for commuting - I am not really interested in mileage figures.

I couldn't do a test ride this weekend but will surely try and get some in the coming weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
If you want exclusivity, then you could very well go with the impulse, who knows it might become a shogun/shoalin story! A classic to preserve.

Better go with the crowd, you wont be wrong - Something from Hero(Honda) stable at least for their After Sales Service.
Yes, its different from the other bikes - makes it all the more interesting. Service should also be no nonsense Hero stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
May be I can help you out ! Because I own 2008 Fz and my current ride is a ( friend's ) Honda Unicorn . If commuting to office is a requirement , the choice is simple , Honda Unicorn.
Another +1 for Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
But you may not like at first for what I think you should do. IMHO do not buy anything now.

.........you will want a 650, believe me you will, its again a matter of time, but since you will have this commuter bike (which you want to buy now) which is newer at home you will not even think to sell it and will dispose the CBR.

.............just do not waste your money on some thing which will be almost like the CBR but in a scaled down version (your requirements portray that) you will out grow that too, simply because you have a better bike right next to it.

BTW I have been in your position with the RE way back in 2002, except that the one I had was the original RE of the 70s and yet it did not impress me as a daily commute bike, otherwise its a good classic for urban weekends.
Appreciate your insight! Yes, agree about the part where I will outgrow the CBR and look for a bigger bike. And it will certainly be harder selling a newer bike But problem is that I am unable to use the CBR as a daily bike. Small shopping trips etc are a pain - parking, tank scratchers on the prowl etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
I have not gone through the other suggestions, but would second Anurag's opinion.
+1 to Unicorn again.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:03   #51
ike
BHPian

No votes yet for the CBZ extreme ? A really good bet IMHO. Comes with digital console & rear discs. Also check out the hunk.
ike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
No votes yet for the CBZ extreme ? A really good bet IMHO. Comes with digital console & rear discs. Also check out the hunk.
Apologies all around but am not a fan of that name - Hunk. Why would I be "riding" a Hunk?

Prices of CBZ extreme? Not sure it is within my budget?
Old 17th September 2012, 12:15   #53
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
The hero website quotes Rs. 79111 OTR for the DSS & Rs. 82626 OTR for the DDS model but I couldn't figure out what the major difference is between the 2 models. Probably the rear disc.
ike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should be slightly north of 80k. So any test rides over the weekend? Please update if yes.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 13:22   #55
BHPian

Get a Pulsar 180.
Most VFM in the <85K INR category,IMO.
Positives:
Feature packed(tubeless tyres,full DC setup,electric start only,self-cancelling turn indicators,loud horns,digital console etc).
Cheap spares and loooong oil change intervals(10K Kilometers,IIRC).
Engine note is pleasant.
Headlights are good.
Tyres are of the 'please all' kind.
Brilliant front discs.
Great fuel efficiency.
Comfortable seats.
Negatives:
I'm nitpicking but still,
1)Too many on the road.
2)Just the three colours.
3)Riding position is 'different'.
FZ-S OTR price-85K INR.(With accessories)
Pulsar 180 OTR price-84K INR.(+ Number plates INR 900 + Seat covers)
Impulse OTR price->82K INR.
CB Unicorn OTR price-78K INR.(+ 2500 for accessories)
CB Unicorn Dazzler STD-81K INR.(+ 3000 for accessories)

Last edited by Patriot_Vishwas : 17th September 2012 at 13:27.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 19:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Should be slightly north of 80k. So any test rides over the weekend? Please update if yes.
No got caught up in the weekend and couldn't. I plan to try the FZ16, Impulse and Dazzler. Hopefully will do a small test for Dazzler in one of the weekdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
FZ-S OTR price-85K INR.(With accessories)
Pulsar 180 OTR price-84K INR.(+ Number plates INR 900 + Seat covers)
Impulse OTR price->82K INR.
CB Unicorn OTR price-78K INR.(+ 2500 for accessories)
CB Unicorn Dazzler STD-81K INR.(+ 3000 for accessories)
No, the Pulsar is out for me. Thanks for the prices too. Thought the Impulse would be a little cheaper.
Old 17th September 2012, 19:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thought the Impulse would be a little cheaper.
Well it is cheaper by about 2.5k. But Hero folks are forcefully pushing some scheme down the customer's throat. Forgot the details but ideally what is supposed to be an option left to the customer to choose has been mandated by hero and is being dished out with every Impulse. Did not sit too well with me!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 23:11   #58
BHPian

Dazzler looks like a bug to me. It has few extra goodies than the Uni, but I won't pay a premium for those looks! Also, Dazzlers are hard found in my city, may be i might mistaking them for the twisters.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 00:00   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Well it is cheaper by about 2.5k. But Hero folks are forcefully pushing some scheme down the customer's throat. Forgot the details but ideally what is supposed to be an option left to the customer to choose has been mandated by hero and is being dished out with every Impulse. Did not sit too well with me!
Not paying attention to what has been on the news, the bike to buy currently in the 150cc segment IS the Impulse. Nothing else! You already have a bike for Highway use. As a daily commute, nothing better than a Honda. Even better if that Honda happens to be fun.

Why not Unicorn/GS150R/CBZX/Hunk/Dazzler? Well I personally find them too boring. Nothing special to offer as a daily commute.

Your 2nd option should be something like an RTR160. Nothing else will seem worth it within the ~80k budget. Trust me on it.
antz.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 10:54   #60
BHPian

Get the Impulse, it will double as a lifestyle bike for some fun offroading weekends and such.

If not the Impulse, then it has got to be the Unicorn.

I suggest you test ride the bikes you shortlist and this will help you make up your mind. I suspect you will opt for the Impulse once you ride it.

Last edited by airfoil : 19th September 2012 at 10:56.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote