Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th September 2012, 02:40   #61
BHPian

Hi naveen! I'm in a similar situation as yourself in the sense that I'm not using my CBR for commuting. I'm also a bit uncomfortable with the unwanted attention it's getting whenever I park it near a shop or a hotel. Luckily for me, my brother's office is on the same way and he drops me at my place on his Avenger.
Do take a test ride of the Avenger. While it's seating is laid back, its engine is anything but. That thing can pull hard and it is a hoot to ride. There are some niggles though- lousy gears with no feel and feedback, stone like suspension and ride quality for the pillion and tricky brakes. Still, despite being flawed its a good bike IMHO. That 220 mill is great- if you can't bring yourself to like the Avenger's looks, a P220 maybe?

However, if I were in your shoes, my choices would be either be the Unicorn or the GS150R. I had the opportunity to ride a Unicorn belonging to my brother's friend. My initial impression was that of extreme refinement (almost felt like an electric sewing machine) in the engine and gearbox department. The flaws I could find was the shoddy looking plastics, relative lack of excitement in terms of outright performance.

The GS150R seems to be a good choice too...
evilmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 14:43   #62
BHPian

Default Re: What bike for 75,000? Ex-Enfield rider, current CBR rider

Sorry- couldn't complete the post yesterday as I fell asleep :P An acquaintance of mine had bought a GS150R about the same time I bought my CBR. I had a chance to ride pillion on it. The bike seems well suited to its role- commuting. It felt more substantial than the Unicorn and the seats seemed pretty comfy as well. The 6th cog could prove mighty useful in those short highway stretches, right?

Though the FZ is a tempting buy at about 80K (here in Cochin), I think that a reliable no-nonsense average joe bike is what one needs for commuting. At least due to its common looks, it won't attract undue attention and one can have some peace of mind while leaving it parked somewhere without supervision. What do you think?
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 15:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Though the FZ is a tempting buy at about 80K (here in Cochin), I think that a reliable no-nonsense average joe bike is what one needs for commuting. At least due to its common looks, it won't attract undue attention and one can have some peace of mind while leaving it parked somewhere without supervision. What do you think?
Yes, an average looks bike will not attract any attention but I somehow want to balance a bit of ride quality with it too. Though I am surprised that a few people have suggested I check out this bike. Will do - one more for a test ride then.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 20:35   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, an average looks bike will not attract any attention but I somehow want to balance a bit of ride quality with it too. Though I am surprised that a few people have suggested I check out this bike. Will do - one more for a test ride then.
From what I felt, the Unicorn rides well over bad roads- better than how it does over good ones in fact, where it feels a bit too stiff unless I'm completely wrong. The GS150R- I'm not too sure about the ride quality as I didn't spend too much time on it. The seats felt comfy to me though. Do share your impressions from the test rides- Happy shopping!

Last edited by evilmessiah : 21st September 2012 at 20:38.
evilmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:53   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Since you already have a CBR 250R for spirited and touring needs , the best two wheeler I suggest would be the Unicorn (Not dazzler ) . With my 20 years driving on Yamahas , Bullets and Pulsars this is one Bike i still use apart from my four wheelers . Driving position , comfort , brakes , service all in all . This is purely based on your point that you are using the other bike for your spirited needs .

Off topic,

its my strong suggestion if at all you can afford go for a 4 wheeler as your primary vehicle and keep a strong machine for short , beach,movie,touring etc so that you give enough breathing space for your back and take less risks on our roads . I have seen people entering 40's with severe disk problems due to excessive driving .

In kerala 3/4 accidents are met by bike riders .

Drive safely .
rageshbhaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 13:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will do - one more for a test ride then.
Any luck with the test rides this weekend?
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 16:12   #67
BHPian

What did you finalize? Any new test rides?
Bazinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 16:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Any luck with the test rides this weekend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
What did you finalize? Any new test rides?

Sorry to disappoint you folks - and I was disappointed myself but I could not do any test rides this weekend as I realised that my CBR is now 1 year old and had to do the final free service. So I had to hurry to the service center and left it for service and got it back only on Saturday evening.

I promise you guys that I will do a test ride at least of the Impulse this week and post up my review.

Thanks for checking guys!!

Last edited by naveenroy : 24th September 2012 at 16:42. Reason: Wanted to quote some posts
Old 24th September 2012, 21:45   #69
BHPian

I checked out the Pulsar 200 NS today and the build quality seemed to be of very good standards. Didn't took a TD but felt that the bike was more comfortable than my current P150. The seat and handle bar were perfect. Every bits and pieces were well built & bolted. Only grouse was with the make of OEM tyres, that was Eurogrip. Yellow color 200 NS stands out in the crowd!

Rushed to YAMAHA dealer (Just Opposite the road) to check out the comfort levels and there was a instant drop in my enthusiasm. No display bike (FZ) and the SA didn't even bothered to get up from his chair. The showroom was filled with SZ's and Alba's. Seems the FZ is moving well so there were no stocks. He mentioned that there might be some offers/discounts during dussehra.

Came back appreciating of what Bajaj has to offer. If you could stretch your budget a bit, the NS is a well rounded bike and has lot to offer.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 24th September 2012 at 21:48.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 11:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I checked out the Pulsar 200 NS today... the NS is a well rounded bike and has lot to offer.
It does'nt make much sense to buy a 23hp bike when you already own a 27hp one. Either get something much more powerful or a run of the mill commuter that is more comfortable and discreet.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 09:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I checked out the Pulsar 200 NS today and the build quality seemed to be of very good standards. Didn't took a TD but felt that the bike was more comfortable than my current P150. The seat and handle bar were perfect. Every bits and pieces were well built & bolted. Only grouse was with the make of OEM tyres, that was Eurogrip. Yellow color 200 NS stands out in the crowd!

Rushed to YAMAHA dealer (Just Opposite the road) to check out the comfort levels and there was a instant drop in my enthusiasm. No display bike (FZ) and the SA didn't even bothered to get up from his chair. The showroom was filled with SZ's and Alba's. Seems the FZ is moving well so there were no stocks. He mentioned that there might be some offers/discounts during dussehra.

Came back appreciating of what Bajaj has to offer. If you could stretch your budget a bit, the NS is a well rounded bike and has lot to offer.
@BlowHorn, Before zeroing to PN200, please check for pillion comfort also, if that's applicable in your case. I booked a yellow PN200 and later on cancelled that because the pillion seat was so tall for my wife to sit. Even if it is better than KTM Duke 200. FZ is good option with Yamaha build quality and muscle looks.
shiju.dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Finally an update!

Was riding for the RTMC XI Anniversary to Kodai last weekend so couldn't do any test rides. But managed to slot in a test ride of a bike today morning.

Ok, down to the chase - here is the list of bikes I have decided to test/ride check out.

1. Hero Impulse
2. Honda Unicorn/Dazzler
3. FZ16

Completed a test ride of the Hero Impulse today. Man, was I pleasantly surprised . Though I am still hungover from the highway blast that I had to Kodai and back on the weekend on the CBR, it was nice to ride this bike. Was surprised at the seating position - nice and relaxed. Handlebar height is good and comfortable. And it was fun to ride! Gear slotting seemed a little notchy - not as butter smooth as the CBR but guess it will be a little better on an Impulse other than a test ride bike. Did ride through a bit of traffic and maneuverability was cool - tempting me to rush in and out of traffic (didn't). Potholes and other road problems were taken with disdain.

I like the bike. Interesting choice - though a little underpowered. Guys from Madbulls own it and have done Leh/Ladhakh on it and have been extremely satisfied. Might try and plonk down a Karizma engine on it later?

Hero sales was pathetic. They are just not bothered. But neither am I. They are not there to help me in my buying decision - you guys are there to help me in that! 20 days for delivery of bike is what they quote.

Will keep you guys posted on more rides. Hopefully my Thunderbird gets sold before that and I can land a bike soon.
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, down to the chase - here is the list of bikes I have decided to test/ride check out.

1. Hero Impulse
2. Honda Unicorn/Dazzler
3. FZ16
Naveen, my 2 cents here...

The choices look very practical and well researched.

The impulse is an off road bike and a delight to ride on bad roads, broken patches, off roads, adventure trails, etc. Power output could have been better though as rightly said.

The unicorn is a fantastic all rounder. Excellent street bike with decent mile munching capabilities, very refined and comfortable.

The FZ however is IMO limited to commutes in the city. On the open highway it runs out of breath soon and top whack is just a tad over 100 kays. FE is also a meager 35 kmpl in city riding, plus points being good handling (for the limited speed) and is comfortable to ride in traffic.

My honest suggestion is to go with the unicorn if you're not going to use the bike on adventure/off road trails. The impulse is also not very generous on FE. The unicorn is more of a fill-it-shut-it bike. Checks almost all the boxes. All the best in your decision.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
My honest suggestion is to go with the unicorn if you're not going to use the bike on adventure/off road trails. The impulse is also not very generous on FE. The unicorn is more of a fill-it-shut-it bike. Checks almost all the boxes. All the best in your decision.
Thanks for joining in the discussion! Well, my original plan was to go for the FZ - no questions asked. Then only did I decide to post up here and look for other options. I am not really looking at FE - though my budget is limited to within ~80k. The Impulse is a different kind of bike altogether. It won't really hurt when I leave it somewhere and someone decides to scratch the tank. I can still do the occassional bad-road riding. Nice traffic bike it is. It is going to be fun riding this bike.

I still haven't decided since I want to test out the remaining bikes. Hopefully will do the Honda and Yamaha testing tomorrow. Orion and Raja Honda are closeby.
Old 10th October 2012, 19:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Finally - another update. Did another test ride.

I am in my hometown now and thought it will be easier to test ride bikes here. So went off to the Honda showroom. Sadly, their Dazzler test ride bike was taken off for a demo somewhere so couldn't test it. I did check out the Unicorn though. I closed my mind to the dated design and rode it. Good ride. Shifting gears was smooth, power delivery was smooth too. Overall, a good, boring ride.

No, seriously - the design did put me off once I met it face to face in the showroom. It is dated now. I seriously would not want to own one.

So that, is ticked off my list. My choices now

1. Hero Impulse - did test ride, yet to decide.
2. Unicorn - did test ride, out of my list.
3. Dazzler - hopefully test ride tomorrow
4. FZ - hmmm, might throw this out of my list too.

Will keep you guys posted on updates.