Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Which gear less scooter would you buy ?
Honda Activa 56 31.82%
Honda Dio (New) 20 11.36%
Hero Maestro 6 3.41%
TVS Wego 38 21.59%
Suzuki Access 125 56 31.82%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd July 2013, 10:37   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

We went finally with Suzuki Swish 125. Great scooter by all means. Good and sturdy build. Most powerful in the class and Telescopic suspension adding to the handling. The scooter is very smooth and has adequate pickup to deal with all the city hustle and bustle.

We are happy with the purchase.

Thanks Everyone.
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:48   #137
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Congratulations!!

However what I found weird with all scooters except Honda ones is the initial Jump kind of a feeling you get when you start it and raise the throttle to get moving.
snowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 00:08   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
We went finally with Suzuki Swish 125. Great scooter by all means. Good and sturdy build. Most powerful in the class and Telescopic suspension adding to the handling. The scooter is very smooth and has adequate pickup to deal with all the city hustle and bustle.

We are happy with the purchase.

Thanks Everyone.
Welcome to the club. Exactly the same way we (me & wifey) felt after test driving the swish. It has been 44 days since we bought it. First service done yesterday with a bill of Rs.346 that includes oil filter, engine oil and gear oil. The swish gives us a mileage of 45 kmpl in city driving with speed not exceeding 40 kmph cos of the running in period.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 16:21   #139
BHPian

Default Re: Suzuki Access or the new Honda Activa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm planning to replace my existing old 2006 Activa with either new version of Activa(the new avatar) or Suzuki Access. As usual i'm in a dilemma on choosing.
Saw reviews on mouthshut regarding Access about the issues. The issues seems to majorly with respect to brakes which are weak. Regarding Activa its the front suspension.

Guys, please help provide me real problems faced in Activa and Access by the bhpians here, so that i can make a choice or any suggestions some other vehicle is also welcome.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Ramki
I see that you have used your existing Activa for about 7 years, which means you need a well built scoot. IMHO you should seriously look at Vespa, it looks expensive but over time it proves its value, and its exclusive too. Otherwise, it might sound too extreme but if I am on a tight budget I would buy M&M Rodiuo / Duro, they are real value for money and decent FE, built quality is actually good, good pickup, low maintenance. I would not pay more to these so called reputed brands just for their name and 2kms/ltr better FE and then endure pathetic A.S.S. high cost of spares etc. Think about it.
zulfi hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 17:18   #140
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I see that you have used your existing Activa for about 7 years, which means you need a well built scoot. IMHO you should seriously look at Vespa, it looks expensive but over time it proves its value, and its exclusive too.
The Vespa VX is priced OTR Rs 82500 in Mumbai. Ridiculously overpriced by any comparison with competition, but am still tempted due to its looks, feel & nostalgia - was my first scooter.

I read someone said this is a light scooter.. is it really given its a full metal body? Any spec comparisons done?
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 18:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
The Vespa VX is priced OTR Rs 82500 in Mumbai. Ridiculously overpriced by any comparison with competition, but am still tempted due to its looks, feel & nostalgia - was my first scooter.

I read someone said this is a light scooter.. is it really given its a full metal body? Any spec comparisons done?
Take a look of this ownership thread of hillram, very well compiled.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rt-motion.html (My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion)
zulfi hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 08:30   #142
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Suzuki Access or the new Honda Activa?

Quote:
Vespa is definitely over priced amongst the present scooters. The scooter felt so light when I rode it, that I constantly was concious whether I would fall off. A slight turn of the handle and the scooter leans to a side. I felt the brakes were also not that confidence inspiring, a couple of suden braking and I was lunging forward. I wouldnt put my money on this scooter even for the looks.

The lady for whom my colleague bought it (of course his wife) had fallen twice while negotiating a couple of potholes.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 09:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Vespa is definitely over priced amongst the present scooters. I wouldnt put my money on this scooter even for the looks.
Absolutely. I was not at all confident with the Vespa after being used to other scoots. Also the quality of switchgear seems like it will pop out anytime. Not what I would personally prefer.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 11:42   #144
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Vespa is definitely over priced amongst the present scooters. The scooter felt so light when I rode it, that I constantly was concious whether I would fall off. A slight turn of the handle and the scooter leans to a side. I felt the brakes were also not that confidence inspiring, a couple of suden braking and I was lunging forward.
Vespa LX kerb weight is 114 kgs. VX is a kg or two more due to disk brakes.
Activa kerb weight is 110 kgs.
Suzuki Access 125 kerb weight is 115 kgs.

So which 'heavier' scooter are we actually comparing with? I agree that Vespa is overpriced, but I am looking for more accurate technical comparisons..

Last edited by gsurya : 8th July 2013 at 11:43.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 12:06   #145
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Suzuki Access or the new Honda Activa?

Quote:
Vespa LX kerb weight is 114 kgs. VX is a kg or two more due to disk brakes.
Activa kerb weight is 110 kgs.
Suzuki Access 125 kerb weight is 115 kgs.

So which 'heavier' scooter are we actually comparing with? I agree that Vespa is overpriced, but I am looking for more accurate technical comparisons..
Although Vespa is heavier by weight on the paper, because of a shorter wheelbase Activa seems more heavier than Vespa. Vespa has a monocoque chasis as compared to the High Rigidity underbone type chasis in Activa which makes it feel more heavier.
Check out the link below.
http://www.bikewale.com/new/compare/...=101&bike3=140
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 18:02   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoomdo View Post
Got the new Activa HET on 5th April - i.e. exactly 1 month back.

The main difference (from what I have gathered from earlier users) is the better mileage. It returned 52 kmpl in the first 20 days (pre first service) and a marginally higher 53.2 post the service (may be slight difference in raod conditions as well as better handling as i am getting used to it more everyday), running 80% in peak Kolkata traffic. That is a 'wow' I guess

Showroom service of all 3 Honda dealers visited was pathetic (compared to the service at Maruti dealership while getting my cars - dont know the benchmark in 2 wheeler industry)

P.S. - coupled with the petrol price drop last week looks like the savings will be enough to cover the EMI
The scoot was constantly giving me 52+ in Kolkata traffic for 1st 3 months but since the second service, it has dropped to around 48 for the last 2 fill ups. Plan to check a couple of fill ups before taking her to the service centre. Any idea why this drop? Is there any data to suggest drop in FE in monsoon?
hoomdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 14:59   #147
BHPian

I test drove both Dio and Wego yesterday. After back-to-back test drives, I felt the Wego to be a lot lighter than the Dio. Also handling a Wego was much better compared to Dio's handling. Even the ride quality in Wego was a few notches better than Dio's.

Dio looked bit bulky compared to Wego, but Dio looks too good to ignore! Finally ordered a Wego, and will get the delivery before weekend.
scorpion_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 19:38   #148
BHPian

I am planning to buy a scooter for the daily office commute and the normal run abouts. I am totally new to this segment and have no clue.

The most important aspect for me would be the sitting position and the front suspension (which would have the least stress on my arm). I have had an accident and have some steel stuff on my left arm. Its been more than year after the surgery. I do, but rarely take out my Royal Enfield for a spin, these days. The Doc said that anything which would not strain the arms much should be fine, as its going to be short commutes.

Have heard that Activa offers a very stiff ride, Suzuki Access has telescopic suspension, which I guess would improve things and I love the way Honda Dio looks. So, this is all I know. You guys pls let me know which one would be the most comfortable one for me.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 21:43   #149
BHPian

^^^ If you are looking for a comfortable suspension in scooters, I would suggest you Wego/Jupiter. I do not think Honda scooters offer good suspension.

Infact Wego's suspension I feel is better than even Suzuki Access. Its lighter, easy to manoevure and control. Go for Wego/Jupiter. Spares are cheap and easily available. The reliability of the vehicle is good too.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 17:54   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Pretty much the same question as above. I am 6'2" guy and may buy a scooter for City usage. Which will be a good fit for me? I would want something where I can keep the helmet under the seat too - this is the primary reason I do NOT want a bike.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote