Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Which gear less scooter would you buy ?
Honda Activa 56 31.82%
Honda Dio (New) 20 11.36%
Hero Maestro 6 3.41%
TVS Wego 38 21.59%
Suzuki Access 125 56 31.82%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd September 2012, 23:02   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Good bits
-------------
Body Balance does work and scooter is more stable than other scooters.

Easy centre stand is really easy to use, can put scooter on stand with one hand.

FE is around 40-45kmpl
12" wheels and superb rear suspension
Excellent service by Century TVS pune till date
External fuelling
Engine feels smooth and is silent.
Seat is comfortable for the driver

Bad bits
----------
Rear seat on higher side, wife struggles to get on/get down from the bike
Pickup not on par with other scooters of similar engine capacity.
Engine refinement not in the league of Honda or Suzuki
Front suspension feels hard on hands , not as good as Aviator.
Rear not so comfortable on long drives, else its fine.
So Piaggio Vespa is getting serviced by TVS ? Interesting combination. But thankful good for us, this was one of the things I needed to confirm. Also, is there any wait time for this ? Is there any storage space under the seat ? Are the tyres tubeless ? Finally if given a chance now would you have bought anything else ?
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:08   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
So Piaggio Vespa is getting serviced by TVS ? Interesting combination. But thankful good for us, this was one of the things I needed to confirm. Also, is there any wait time for this ? Is there any storage space under the seat ? Are the tyres tubeless ? Finally if given a chance now would you have bought anything else ?
No idea about where Piaggio is going to be serviced.

No wait time, one of my friend got it in 2 hours flat.

Under seat stores Full face helmet, though need to try different helmet sizes to check if all of them fit.

Tyres are not tubeless, they are tube type and are not Punture resistant.
Given a chance,I would have bought a WEGO in new RED colour.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
No idea about where Piaggio is going to be serviced.

No wait time, one of my friend got it in 2 hours flat.

Under seat stores Full face helmet, though need to try different helmet sizes to check if all of them fit.

Tyres are not tubeless, they are tube type and are not Punture resistant.
Given a chance,I would have bought a WEGO in new RED colour.
My bad I thought you had the Vespa !!! The only person in the forum who said he had one. You know anyone who uses it ?
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I went ahead and booked Honda Aviator today. I chose the colour as Rebel Red metallic and the OTR @ BLR is 56708 + accessory worth 4195/. Mostly by tomorrow I will make the full payment and delivery will be on coming saturday as there are few holidays in between.

Thanks
Rajesh
Got this delivered on saturday, the Odo was around 3km. Now in the learning phase.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125-img_8055.jpg  

Last edited by RajeshK : 23rd September 2012 at 11:42.
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
My bad I thought you had the Vespa !!! The only person in the forum who said he had one. You know anyone who uses it ?
Ohh that was funny! How did you miss that? I am sure you did not go through my signature.
You can PM Hillram he is a proud owner of Vespa and also has a separate thread for it.

Last edited by silverado : 23rd September 2012 at 20:03.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Ohh that was funny! How did you miss that? I am sure you did not go through my signature.
You can PM Hillram he is a proud owner of Vespa and also has a separate thread for it.
Thanks mate I will get in touch with him, missing your signature was a super blooper oversight !
Old 24th September 2012, 15:27   #52
BHPian

Congratulations ! I agree that Honda scooters are great in terms of reliability and ease of driving. Most of all, both Activa and Aviator look unisex to me - i was comfortable driving my Activa, as much as my wife ! (did i kick a hornet's nest here? )
ajay9252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 17:48   #53
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would go with Suzuki Access, Drive is very comfort, handling is nice and power to weight ratio is managed well
sameerpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 19:10   #54
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Suzuki Access.
I bought in the year 2009 - August from ABT Suzuki, Mount Road, Chennai

1. The finishing was perfect. It introduced the sensor based key (you can lock the key opening)
2. Very good seat position
3.125 CC - Good pickup
4. Comfortable ride

It came 52k on road. Basket, Body gaurds, seat cover were charged extra

The scooter is excellent and have done 14k till today.

Mileage - ~40km/L

These are the negatives

Poor battery - I charged every 4 - 6 months (First start of the day is always kick)
Poor brake shoe life.
Front shock absorbers.
Very few Service centres (Now they have increased)
Spares not available outside
One of the buziness trick is - Their regular service plan is like this
1st Service - FREE, 2nd Service - Paid, 3rd Service - FREE, 4th Service - Paid and so on. So you cannot miss one and also the service intervals are too short. This is the major negative point here.

During 2011, I complained to Suzuki for poor service. To my surprise they called me and now service is better. So far I have changed brake shoes and engine oil. Touch wood - No major expense.

I changed my battery last week and now it is OK. Planning to change my shocks next month.

When I bought in 2009, Activa had a 4-6 week waiting period and the Access came with totally imported Suzuki engine.

I recommended this to my neighbours and we have three in our apartment. The scooter performance is excellent and my engine is damn good with smooth ride.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 19:51   #55
BHPian

2010 my wifey wanted to upgrade from her ageing activa which served her college days till marraige around 70k on the Odo with few hiccups and tyre change, we decided to try the suzuki access and booking experince in bangalore was totall put off with huge waiting list and the dealers asking premium for quicker delivery. with some influence we got it deliverd with an month and dealer insisted we buy accessorises though we were not intrested.
I am currently using a 2006 activa which has fairly clocked 10k on the ODO and

my wife uses the new access when we swap the access and activa one thing that comes to our mind is the diffrence in the suspension of the access over the activa. the telescopic suspension is softer and nice compared to the activa and it does not hurt over the pot holes and the speed brakers like the latter. the mileage on the activa is better than access and the smoothness too. i love to use the access over the activa b coz of the amazing torque and the pick up it has.

the underseat lock and the storage too is better than the activa. when opened the seat does not keep falling back like the activa and make it easier.

Last edited by Sweet Chariot : 24th September 2012 at 20:01. Reason: fonts
Sweet Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 21:12   #56
BHPian

I would suggest you to stay away from Honda. I own a Honda Dio and servicing is a big problem. Too many vehicles on road and getting a slot itself is a big thing. I think each vehicle gets a time of 40 mins to 1 hr for complete service in the ramp. The volumes are huge and they don't do a good job. My friends who owns Honda also face the same issues. Also servicing costs are also not cheap. I have changed brake pads many times. And front suspension is nothing to talk about.
Try other good vehicles with latest technologies.
prakasse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 22:13   #57
BHPian

I voted for the access.

I have a red one, got it in 2011 and just competed a year, but has only 2k on the ODO. I only use it over the weekend for mundane work near my apartment with an occassional trip to the office or to any other place.

Some of you have already pointed this out, the service interval is outrageous. Alternating between paid and free and i only got it serviced thrice in A.S.S, and could make out that they are not in a position to handle the volumes. None of the complaints i had mentioned were resolved, so I have decided to trust a local mechanic near my place for future service needs.

Excellent pick up, good riding position and comfortable seats are few of the positives, while the mileage definetly is on the negative side. I normally stick to shell petrol, however dont see the mileage being good. May be i dont use it that regularly to see the difference.

I got it delivered in a month through some influence.. i just dont see a valid reason for such long waits for both activa and access.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 22:39   #58
BHPian

I vote for Wego. Bought a Red, month ago.

THat body balance thing works wonderful. I initially though it was just a gimmick but now no more.

This was bought for father approaching age of 70. Pick seems decent though not in the league of 125 cc toys like Flyte that I have. But vehicle easily crosses 60kmph unlike FLyte which struggles between 40-60 range beyond which it is again capable.

Within a month minor squeaks and squeals have surfaced which are noticeable only if one listens carefully.

Front basket is good to hold small water bottle and may be a bank passbook. One deciding factor was that the service centre is quite close to home. On this count I was struggling with Flyte as services were never done in time whenever I was sailing.

FE I get is between 45-48 kmpl. Veshicle had crossed 500km mark now. Father in my absence bought extended warranty upto 5 yrs.
sindabad.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 08:50   #59
BHPian

I am currently commuting to office-home on a Mahindra Rodeo RZ, and its fuel indicator is always wrong(always shows near to empty) , It is giving me around 40 KMPL plus(may be even more) fuel efficiency.
shiju.dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 08:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

I got it delivered in a month through some influence.. i just dont see a valid reason for such long waits for both activa and access.

I heard from one of my friend who owns a Honda showroom that its just a marketing gimmick to show off that their products are on huge demand, but in reality they are giving chances to other competitors, in my case i went for Rodeo RZ because of waiting period of Access/Activa etc.

But mahindra also took around 1 month to deliver due to slow processing by mahindra finance guys.
shiju.dba is offline   Reply With Quote