Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Which gear less scooter would you buy ?
Honda Activa 56 31.82%
Honda Dio (New) 20 11.36%
Hero Maestro 6 3.41%
TVS Wego 38 21.59%
Suzuki Access 125 56 31.82%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th October 2012, 13:02   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Any ideas on what is the current waiting period for the Activa DLX in Mumbai ? I asked in one showroom and they said bare minimum 3 months ?? I thought this waiting period issue was resolved ...
Activas no longer have a waiting period I know of, I checked a dealer in Kalina he had bikes ready to be sold in any color within 2 weeks with registration, no extra money to be paid. Search for TVS dealer on justdial in santacruz you should get the details. He is multi-brand dealer.

Quote:
Further to my above query on waiting period I also found out that I can get immediate delivery on the Honda Activa if i am ready to pay a 7K premium. The showroom (not dealer but multibrand showroom) claims that it is not a second sale, but first plus they will add in some accessories also to the deal.

Is this reliable ??
Go back to my previous quote. Do not pay such extra amounts. Bikes are readily available now. These bikes are reliable but paying extra when you dont need to is just silly !

Note from Team-bhp Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th October 2012 at 18:29. Reason: Back to back posts.
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 09:32   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Activas no longer have a waiting period I know of, I checked a dealer in Kalina he had bikes ready to be sold in any color within 2 weeks with registration, no extra money to be paid. Search for TVS dealer on justdial in santacruz you should get the details. He is multi-brand dealer.
I am referring to Honda Activa.. you mention TVS?? if you have Honda dealer numbers who have ready delivery, can you share

Thanks
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 12:52   #93
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
I am referring to Honda Activa.. you mention TVS?? if you have Honda dealer numbers who have ready delivery, can you share
Sorry if this is going OT, but if you are interested in used Honda Activa's or Aviators, I will recommend the Tata Assured on Ghodbunder Road, they had atleast 5-6 Activa/Aviators. I was told that people sold them to buy a Nano. The Tata guys are getting enquires on daily basis for the Nano in exchange for scooters.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 17:45   #94
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:

Thanks
I meant to say I landed up there searching for a TVS Wego & realized he had all bikes there. Thats where I came to know that if you wanted to buy an activa he had it ready in stock to be sold with registration in 7 days.
Old 20th October 2012, 21:14   #95
BHPian

ok that way... How much did you cost you and can you PM me his number, will call and check with him
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 18:25   #96
BHPian

I am in the market to get a new 2 wheeler (next 2-3 months) and my current shortlist is
1. Suzuki Access
2. Yamaha Ray
3. Honda Activa / Dio (reluctantly)
4. Mahindra Rodeo RZ

My usage is for odd jobs on the weekend and possibly once-in-a-while drive to office (say when my car is not working/at the garage or am late to work types).

My requirements are
1. Good fuel economy
2. Good Resale Value (I may not keep it for too long, if my usage really dips)
3. Good suspension (BLR roads are pathetic and a return trip on my KH gives be a bad back ache)
4. Looks (this is a matter of personal preference so cannot generalize I guess).
5. Price (cheaper the better, honestly this will be used for weekend odd stuff so why spend more)

TVS Wego and Suzuki Swish are out primarily because of looks (no offence anyone), I just cannot digest the way these look. The Rodeo RZ is probably out as well (am sure it has the worst resale value of those listed).

My query to those who own/drive the Access and/or Activa over similar distances/traffic. How different is the on-road mileage of these two vehicles. Am tempted to pick up the Access, but am concerned if the higher power translates to much-lower fuel economy. Also Access has been around for some time. Would be terrible if they come up with a revamp (much like what Activa came up with) post the purchase.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
sachinayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 22:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak
I am in the market to get a new 2 wheeler (next 2-3 months) and my current shortlist is
1. Suzuki Access
2. Yamaha Ray
3. Honda Activa / Dio (reluctantly)
4. Mahindra Rodeo RZ

My usage is for odd jobs on the weekend and possibly once-in-a-while drive to office (say when my car is not working/at the garage or am late to work types).

My requirements are
1. Good fuel economy
3. Good suspension (BLR roads are pathetic and a return trip on my KH gives be a bad back ache)
4. Looks (this is a matter of personal preference so cannot generalize I guess).
5. Price (cheaper the better, honestly this will be used for weekend odd stuff so why spend more)

TVS Wego and Suzuki Swish are out primarily because of looks (no offence anyone), I just cannot digest the way these look. The Rodeo RZ is probably out as well (am sure it has the worst resale value of those listed).

My query to those who own/drive the Access and/or Activa over similar distances/traffic. How different is the on-road mileage of these two vehicles. Am tempted to pick up the Access, but am concerned if the higher power translates to much-lower fuel economy. Also Access has been around for some time. Would be terrible if they come up with a revamp (much like what Activa came up with) post the purchase.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
The best is the Activa for its super smooth engine and a product of Honda which Is anytime reliable. But BLR you find a lot of Access than Activa so I would suggest you go in for the Access. if your looking at resale value then Access might have an edge over the Activa as you reside in BLR.
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:49   #98
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
IMy query to those who own/drive the Access and/or Activa over similar distances/traffic. How different is the on-road mileage of these two vehicles. Am tempted to pick up the Access, but am concerned if the higher power translates to much-lower fuel economy. Also Access has been around for some time. Would be terrible if they come up with a revamp (much like what Activa came up with) post the purchase.
As far as mileage is concerned both the scooters give a pretty good mileage of 40-45kmpl. Access scores over Activa in regards to telescopic front suspension. Acces has already been given a facelifted sibling called Swish which you have already rejected. Have you test driven the Wego or the scooters you have shortlisted. If looks are primary imp then Honda Dio should fill the slot. Yamaha Ray is too early to be considered since there is no official review yet.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:24   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My requirements are
1. Good fuel economy
Looking at your usage/requirements, you want a bit of everything. To be honest, for short runs, no vehicle will return good FE. If its for just a km, stop, start run another km, stop, start and run for another km or 2 will definitely yield less FE even on the best of the lot of scooters or bikes. In terms of your other requirements, you have to settle for the Access since it has good suspension compared to Activa and has a good resale as well. But if you want the cheapest then Yamaha Ray might suit you since it has telescopic front forks which will translate to a better ride over bad roads. But resale value is still a suspect as its a new product.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:29   #100
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from the Dio if you are looking for a soft suspension.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:48   #101
BHPian

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
To be honest, for short runs, no vehicle will return good FE. If its for just a km, stop, start run another km, stop, start and run for another km or 2 will definitely yield less FE even on the best of the lot of scooters or bikes.
Agree 100%. In fact, with such usage, will an Activa yield significantly different mileage than an Access? Am almost sold on the Access (without having a TD) since it ticks most boxes. But considering options, since Power is not a priority for me and if an Activa would be much economical to run, then why not. Am sure with either resale would be good.

Yamaha Ray as you mention is indeed an unknown proposition, so probably an outside contender only. Trying to convince myself, If i should ignore the Activa completely or consider it purely for FE (over the Access).

and yes, my requirements are all around the place but honestly thats what i want - a bit of everything
sachinayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree 100%. In fact, with such usage, will an Activa yield significantly different mileage than an Access?
With such usage, you might be able to extract max about 1 or 2kms more in an Activa. But you will compromise on the ride quality front for those 1 to 2kms more. Resale as you have said will be similar for both Access and Activa. Try out the Access and see if you are comfortable with the suspension set up. If yes, then look no further and settle for it. If not, then Activa is always present as an option and should serve you well with similar resale as Access. All the best with your choice and do keep us updated on what you finally chose!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 20:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the market to get a new 2 wheeler
Hi Sachin, you are in the same spot as I was a month or so back when I started this thread I can tell it was a rigorous exercise to find the right bike for my bro & my mother. I can happily say that now we are the proud owners of a Suzuki Access 125 as of yesterday. We got it at an OTR of 56K in Mumbai within 7 days of booking with the registration number. No accessories came with the bike at all, not even the number plate was given free.

BTW it is a gem of a engine & the first 10 km I felt the bike was struggling but it felt quite free revving after that & the suspensions are quite nice if I compare them to those of an activa. Some of the pluses about the bike -

Pros:
Good Pickup
Nice Looks
Enough Seat to Seat 2 people
Enough under seat storage space to place an open face helmet "Vega" Cruiser (750 bucks)
Nice key lock setup - No need to open the seat separately, all in one place unlike Activa
Simple & effective choke placement near the keyhole
Decent suspension setup - Will take you through normal potholes with ease
Nice accessories available at dealer like a dicky for the front, etc but these may be dealer specific

Cons:
Poor part quality not that they fall of their place but it feels cheap during operation
No Tuff up tubes but the existing types can be made so at 350 bucks from a local shop
Very short service intervals every month almost considering the mileage required to have run
Not the best bike to do any high speed lane action, feels tall on turns the dio beats it here
The firing sounds weird - I am a motorcycle engine fan & this sounds like a table fan !

But if you get to see most of things apart from parts are just notional & can differ from person to person. Its a great package overall & definitely worth a shot as per me.

I wanted to go for the Ray but my bro was hell bent on the fact that it is a girls bike even though the black scooter looks amazing... I could not get a test drive for this scooter but I can say by the way it looks it will be a great competition. Hope my comments help.

Last edited by 90BHP : 25th October 2012 at 20:56.
90BHP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 02:35   #104
BHPian

Well the first tank has now gone dry & the 6 whole litres returned an average of 36 Km/l in city driving before the first service - from dadar to marine lines daily, Hopefully it will go up as the miles increase. Until the first service now.
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:25   #105
BHPian

I bought the Yamaha Ray and took delivery of it on the 31st of October 2012. I went ahead with it inspite of its gender biased positioning because it would be used mainly by my wife. I haven't been able to keep my hands of it and prefer riding it when compared to the Honda Activa at home.
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote