Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 08:45   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

I went to a shop selling engine oils (they had a small service center inside as well).
Asked for 10W30 for my Access. He showed me a few popular brands and some unknown ones. The packaging looked bad and the stock was quite old. Decided to check elsewhere.

I had asked him about Castrol Power1, but he said that was for bikes only.

The Shell Advance mentioned above is around Rs. 550 for 0.9 lit on Snapdeal. What is the market price for latest stock?

Also, any video showing how to change oil for Access will help.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 11:37   #62
BHPian
 
Scarlet_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 551
Thanked: 396 Times
Post Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the market price for latest stock? Also, any video showing how to change oil for Access will help.
I recently changed the engine oil for my Access 125. This time I tried Shell Advance AX7 (10W-40) instead of Shell Advance AX5 (10W-30). Engine feels butter smooth as usual. Planning to stick to this going forward. I got a one litre pack for around 370.00 from a Shell Petrol Station. (No point in spending more money on fully synthetic oils for scooters. Better stick to semi synthetic oil.) Check the user manual for locations of the drain plug. The instructions and pictures are not detailed but will give you a hint. In case you need to change the oil filter as well, it would be better to get it done outside and observe so that you can do it on your own next time.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 14:02   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
I recently changed the engine oil for my Access 125. This time I tried Shell Advance AX7 (10W-40) instead of Shell Advance AX5 (10W-30). Engine feels butter smooth as usual. Planning to stick to this going forward. I got a one litre pack for around 370.00 from a Shell Petrol Station. (No point in spending more money on fully synthetic oils for scooters. Better stick to semi synthetic oil.) Check the user manual for locations of the drain plug. The instructions and pictures are not detailed but will give you a hint. In case you need to change the oil filter as well, it would be better to get it done outside and observe so that you can do it on your own next time.
Thank you for this information. Are you sure it is safe to use such oils on our old scooters? Is there any long term negative effect that anyone is aware of?
I don't mind the cost of the oil at all.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/shel...etic/226520415

The photo is incorrect, but
Viscosity Grade: SAE J 300 10W-40

Last edited by S_U_N : 13th March 2014 at 14:25.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 11:45   #64
BHPian
 
Scarlet_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 551
Thanked: 396 Times
Post Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Are you sure it is safe to use such oils on our old scooters?
I use oil types specified in the owner's manual only. If you refer page 3-2 of the owner's manual, it has a chart that gives the various grades of oils that can be used depending on the temperature at your location. The following grades are specified in the chart :
  • 20W-50
  • 15W-40
  • 15W-50
  • 10W-40
  • 10W-50
  • 10W-30
So there is absolutely no harm in using oils of any of the grades mentioned above, but ensure that you select the grade as per the temperature in your city. With summer approaching, temperatures easily touch 40 degrees in Hyderabad. Hence I opted for 10W-40 in my last oil change.

Not sure what you meant by old scooters? Since these scooters are for regular use, it is better to use semi synthetic oils rather than spending more on fully synthetic oils.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 14th March 2014 at 11:47.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 12:33   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

I got a 1 lit. can of 10W 40 - Shell Advance AX7 for Rs. 375 from the local Shell petrol bunk.

Now, for my vehicle, which has done 13000 KM in three years, how many of these are required:
1. Tyre rotation
2. New spark plug
3. New air filter
4. New oil filter
5. Gear oil change

I will get engine oil change done in a day or two at my neighbourhood garage.
There is a slight play (sideways) in the rear wheel, which I feel should not be there, but I have never been able to check with another Access. Is that normal?
I can feel the play if I shake the rear wheel.
The play results in slight imbalance on uneven roads.
Last servicing/ oil change was done around November.

Last edited by S_U_N : 14th March 2014 at 12:35.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 12:54   #66
BHPian
 
Scarlet_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 551
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

I feel 13000 kms is high time to rotate the tyres. I think it should be done every 5000 kms. Not sure about the exact figure. For the rest, all the information is given in a chart in the owner's manual. I think even tyre rotation interval is mentioned somewhere. If the play in rear wheel is present even after tightening the wheel nuts, it would be best to take the scooter to an authorised service centre. Regarding the gear oil, refer to my post on page 3 of this thread for details like grade of oil, quantity and replacement interval.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 18:01   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

OK. So, this Saturday, I got the scooter serviced at a local mechanic. The usual workshop did not allow me to stand there and get the work done. So, I decided to look elsewhere.

The work done was:
1. Wheel rotation
2. Normal servicing
3. Engine oil change

The results are pretty good - I would attribute that to the AX7.

Issues:
1. Oil filter not changed. The mechanic initially said that this vehicle does not have an oil filter. When I showed him the manual, he said, he will not get that in outside market.
So, for next oil change, I will have to procure this myself from the market.
The Suzuki workshop near my place refused to do sale of spares across the counter.

2. Spark plug not changed. Again I need to procure this in outside market the next time.

3. Engine oil:
The old engine oil which was put in 4 months ago, was like pepsi, without the froth.
It was watery and completely dark brown.
The new can was opened in front of me and replaced in front of me.
I was hoping only 900 ml is required as per the manual, but the mechanic put in 1 liter. He said that the quantity in the can itself is lesser than the claimed 1 liter. Of course, the can was empty and I took it back, but I fail to understand why the quantity would be less. Has anyone observed this?

Also, would there be any risk with 1 liter of oil inside? Should I check the levels again with warm engine?

Overall, I am pleased with the scooter now. The acceleration from low speeds is a lot smoother now and there is no juddering which used to happen.

Last edited by S_U_N : 18th March 2014 at 18:03.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 19:10   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I was hoping only 900 ml is required as per the manual, but the mechanic put in 1 liter. He said that the quantity in the can itself is lesser than the claimed 1 liter. Of course, the can was empty and I took it back, but I fail to understand why the quantity would be less. Has anyone observed this?

Also, would there be any risk with 1 liter of oil inside? Should I check the levels again with warm engine?
Any reputed brand will mention the quantity of packed oil and the temp/oil density at which it was measured. AFAIK there are legal requirements for the info on the packaging to be accurate, so I'd take the mechanics' claim with a pinch of salt. Of course if you want to be doubly sure, you could procure a govt. approved measuring container and check whether there is any difference.

I believe the manual says 1L is required only if the oil filter was changed. The best thing to do new is just check whether the oil is above the max level mark using the dipstick. If yes, just drain out the excess oil at the earliest. Overfilling isn't always harmless.
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 23:32   #69
BHPian
 
Scarlet_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 551
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

As rightly mentioned by isiv, 900 ml is the quantity to be used if you are not changing the oil filter. In case you are changing the oil filter you need 1L of oil. Overfilling oil may cause the crankshaft moving in the oil to form foam if the level is too high. This in turn may reduce oil pressure and reduce lubrication to other engine parts.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 14:51   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Of course if you want to be doubly sure, you could procure a govt. approved measuring container and check whether there is any difference.
Yes. I am aware that the manual states I should be using 900 ml only without filter change.
The issue is not the container size. I filled in a 1 liter bottle of water and poured that in to the empty can. There was still some space left on the top. So, the can capacity is actually more than 1 liter.
The unanswered question is: what was the actual oil level in that particular can?


Quote:
I believe the manual says 1L is required only if the oil filter was changed. The best thing to do new is just check whether the oil is above the max level mark using the dipstick. If yes, just drain out the excess oil at the earliest. Overfilling isn't always harmless.
I think I will check the dipstick and see what can be done.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
As rightly mentioned by isiv, 900 ml is the quantity to be used if you are not changing the oil filter. In case you are changing the oil filter you need 1L of oil. Overfilling oil may cause the crankshaft moving in the oil to form foam if the level is too high. This in turn may reduce oil pressure and reduce lubrication to other engine parts.
Noted.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 15:52   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 245
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Hello to all Access users !

I picked up a pre-worshiped 2011 Suzuki access from an acquaintance. The scooter is super smooth and really peppy to drive. But there's a problem with carburetor adjustment and it seems I have to adjust the idle and air mixture every week or so. Idle is very erratic and it often flutters when I start it in morning and takes a while to get a proper idle. Once the scooter is run for some distance and engine is nice and warm the idle increases.

My dad has an activa and I donít see such issues with it. I showed it to multiple road side mechanics and they all have the same opinion that thereís a chronic problem with all Suzuki Accesses theyíve worked upon and entire carburetor needs to be replaced. is this true ?

Hereís what Iíve done till now

1. Got the carburetor cleaned and serviced.
2. Got the carburetor float adjusted.
3. Got the throttle pin raised by 1 point.
4. Last week I found the hose pipe was cracked so replaced it. Iím hoping that this solves the problem. Yet to test the scooter fully

Any help will be appreciated
akhilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 17:43   #72
BHPian
 
Scarlet_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 551
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The unanswered question is: what was the actual oil level in that particular can?
Oils are available in both 900 ml and 1L packs. So the quantity mentioned on the pack is what is inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Once the scooter is run for some distance and engine is nice and warm the idle increases.
I had a similar problem with my Access. When the throttle was released, instead of the normal idling RPM, the engine continued to rev at a higher RPM and would remain like that or come back to the normal RPM after a few seconds. When I took the scooter for the next service, I explained the problem to the authorised service centre manager. A mechanic checked the scooter and said that a small part in the carburetor needed replacement. (Need to check the bill for the description of that part.) It's cost was around INR 50.00. The scooter was back to normal since then. So the service bill was the regular amount plus INR 50.00 only. For problems related to carburetor, it is always better to take the vehicle to a authorised service centre.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 19th March 2014 at 17:44.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 15:53   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

I checked the oil level this morning, by placing the scooter on the center stand. This was with a cold engine.
The oil level was a little less than the full mark on the dipstick.
I then started the scooter and kept the engine idling for 30 seconds. Then checked again, there was no change of level.

Is that OK or should I check after a 1-2 KM ride?

Also, it is not clear to me what is meant by 1000 ml engine oil with oil filter and 900 ml without oil filter.

I was not able to spot the oil filter, but in the last service, I have paid for it. Can someone take a picture showing where I can find the oil filter and post it here?

If I have the oil filter from November, should I not be putting 1000 ml oil, instead of 900 ml?

Last edited by S_U_N : 21st March 2014 at 15:55.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 11:17   #74
BHPian
 
Scarlet_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 551
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is that OK or should I check after a 1-2 KM ride?
It should take just a few seconds for the oil to circulate completely. The dipstick must be showing the oil that splashes inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Also, it is not clear to me what is meant by 1000 ml engine oil with oil filter and 900 ml without oil filter.
The sentence should be: 1000 ml engine oil is required when the oil filter is replaced with a new one and 900 ml of oil is required if you continue using the existing filter. The engine oil has to be replaced every 4000 kms and the engine oil filter needs to be replaced every 8000 kms. (Source: Maintenance Chart in the owner's manual on pages 6-4 and 6-5.) So every alternate oil change the filter needs to be replaced with a new one and that is when you need to use 1000 ml engine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Can someone take a picture showing where I can find the oil filter and post it here?
Will take pictures the next time I change the oil and filter. As of now, you can refer pages 6-24 to 6-28 of the owner's manual that gives the steps to remove and replace the engine oil filter.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 24th March 2014 at 11:19.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 14:43   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Thanks Rahul.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
It should take just a few seconds for the oil to circulate completely. The dipstick must be showing the oil that splashes inside.
I actually wiped the dipstick and checked. The level was the same.

Quote:

So every alternate oil change the filter needs to be replaced with a new one and that is when you need to use 1000 ml engine oil.
I interpreted this as follows:
If you have an oil filter installed, then when changing oil, drain off and put 1000 ml of fresh oil.
If you do not put an oil filter (meaning, it is absent), then 900 ml is sufficient, since around 100 ml will be inside the oil filter at any given time.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Owners please share reviews Suzuki Access 125 raghutk Motorbikes 46 1st February 2017 23:52
Two Classics, One Car - 81 year old Packard and 101 year old owner karlosdeville Beyond Borders 5 29th August 2016 00:42
Suzuki Access 125 BunnyPunia Motorbikes 26 26th August 2014 15:14
96 year old sells 55 year old Italian Fiat for Nano !! emkay456 Shifting gears 14 11th May 2009 14:02
Delivery woes Suzuki Access 125 raghutk Motorbikes 7 11th March 2008 15:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:12.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks