Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2012, 02:58   #181
BHPian

Default re: KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So the 390 Duke is coming in the naked avtar. Also UK prices announced.

Check out this link:-
http://www.ktm.com/gb/news-events/ne...l#.UMYHJuRtimh
How does this indicate that the Indian launch too will be of the naked version? Since it was displayed at the Milan show, the UK launch was obvious.

It's just that for India, Stefan Pierer seems to be singing a different tune. Maybe they have a different strategy for India.
Old 11th December 2012, 10:08   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Bro I have seen Bajaj closely - they are masters at what they do. And one of the things they are Business school case study material for is product position and pricing. There is no way they will allow the 390 to cannibalise the 200's sales. There will be differentials built into both the product as well as the pricing. And they will cast a wide net, specifically targetting different segments. Their brains are always working man.
To add to this, the KTM390 would definitely have a different positioning compared to the 200. However, the KTM390 might get cannibalised by the Pulsar390. Since the price segment is going to be 2Lac and above, a lower or lesser priced 390 could very easily be taking away the market from the KTM 390.

Though this has not happened for the 200 but would be of a concern in the price sensitive segment of the 390's.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:09   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't think the 390 would either bite into the sales of Honda 250R or Ninja 250R. The target customer (if he really knows what he is buying) is different.
I agree. Someone who wants a naked is never going to go faired.

Someone who is addicted to the low end of a single may not go for a peaky twin - especially if the twin is down on power and up on price.

The CBR 250r ship sailed with the Duke 200 bro. It barely keeps ahead of that. The 390 belongs to a different league.

Quote:
Wish I had an unlimited garage or atleast could ride a bike for a significant distance prior to making the purchase. That way, I would exactly know what I am getting into.

A 1000 or a 600 or a 750 (the best of both worlds) A super moto. Ohh! The list is endless
My thinking is a lt more pragmatic. I guess age and limited riding years and time does that to you.

I will buy Indian. Where parts and service is not an issue. I can afford a SBK, but not the drama that goes with owning and maintaining and riding one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
How does this indicate that the Indian launch too will be of the naked version? Since it was displayed at the Milan show, the UK launch was obvious.

It's just that for India, Stefan Pierer seems to be singing a different tune. Maybe they have a different strategy for India.
From what I've heard, the first 390 will be the Duke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
To add to this, the KTM390 would definitely have a different positioning compared to the 200. However, the KTM390 might get cannibalised by the Pulsar390. Since the price segment is going to be 2Lac and above, a lower or lesser priced 390 could very easily be taking away the market from the KTM 390.

Though this has not happened for the 200 but would be of a concern in the price sensitive segment of the 390's.
I may be looking at this from a purely personal view admittedly, but someone who wants a KTM and can afford one, is not going to buy a Pulsar. Any Pulsar. He will stretch and pay the difference, and buy the KTM.
Old 11th December 2012, 15:51   #184
BHPian

To the D200 owners:

I am on the verge of booking a duke 200. Need your inputs in finalizing.

Been waiting for 390, but it looks at-least 4-5 months away, so inclined towards 200 now. My main usage would be city and occasional one or two day ride-outs. 390 being similar to 200 is not going to give me any advantage in terms of ergonomics, posture, comfort or luggage carrying capacity. Even the tank capacity is almost similar. The main difference is the power output and possible inclusion of abs on the 390.
The question to the duke owners is does 200 have adequate power and torque for occasional trips? Is there ever a feeling of being underpowered?

I have done test ride of the duke myself, but could not make much of the short test ride, as the entire bike is very different then my current ride, classic 500. most of the time, i was searching for the footpeg and toe shifter.

Had been to kmt store at indiranagar today and spoke to one of the guys there. As expected, they dont have any concrete news of 390, but said launch would be around march, price in bangalore would be around 2.5

I am inclined towards 200, so just wanted to confirm from the 200 riders whether they have ever felt underpowered. I just want to make sure 6 months down i dont repent for not waiting for 390.
Old 11th December 2012, 16:18   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
My main usage would be city and occasional one or two day ride-outs.
Since you are in Bangy, any 150+ cc bike would suffice in that case.

Quote:
390 being similar to 200 is not going to give me any advantage in terms of ergonomics, posture, comfort or luggage carrying capacity. Even the tank capacity is almost similar. The main difference is the power output and possible inclusion of abs on the 390.
Exactly the same arguments hod true about Bullet 350s and 500s. Now multiply the difference between those two many times over to appreciate what the 390 would be to the 200.

Quote:
The question to the duke owners is does 200 have adequate power and torque for occasional trips? Is there ever a feeling of being underpowered?
I have never taken her into the mountains yet. Only ghats. Where she outpulls and outclimbs modded 500s very easily.

Quote:
I have done test ride of the duke myself, but could not make much of the short test ride, as the entire bike is very different then my current ride, classic 500. most of the time, i was searching for the footpeg and toe shifter.
I have said this somewhere else here before. Except for load carrying capacity and toughness over really bad surfaces, there is probably nothing the Bullet does better than the baby Duke. Ok, maybe the headlight as well.

Seeing as you plan short rides, will probably ride solo, I do not see you being disappointed. That and the fact that a C5 does not give you quite as much as rough road ability and ground clearance as a normal Bullet anyway.

Quote:
I am inclined towards 200, so just wanted to confirm from the 200 riders whether they have ever felt underpowered. I just want to make sure 6 months down i dont repent for not waiting for 390.
As a biker, there is no such thing as too much power. So once the 390 comes, you will repent (the degree will depend on what type of rider you are).

That said, the 200 is not underpowered. It can and will run rings around the C5 in all real world riding situations.

As one Bulleteer to another, and one Duke owner to a to be one, hope this helps.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 16:46   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
To the D200 owners:

On the numerous rides that I've gone, never felt the Duke to be underpowered. Even while cruising at 100 in 6th gear, the Duke has enough torque left to execute overtakes without a downshift.

Quote:
That 100meter test ride is only a preview and doesn't reveal much details about the bike. If you know someone with a Duke, suggest you ride that for a longer distance, in city traffic. That should give you a far better idea than the short test ride.

The footpeg and toe shifter will take a few rides to get used to and then you can find them easily. I had the same problem too during the test ride, but never faced such an issue when I got mine.

Quote:
Had been to kmt store at indiranagar today and spoke to one of the guys there. As expected, they dont have any concrete news of 390, but said launch would be around march, price in bangalore would be around 2.5
Doc shall be able to enlighten you more with this.

Quote:
I am inclined towards 200, so just wanted to confirm from the 200 riders whether they have ever felt underpowered. I just want to make sure 6 months down i dont repent for not waiting for 390
I just bought the 200 a few months back, but I dont see any advantage for me to go for the 390. Its just 2x of Duke 200. But this opinion is strictly personal. If you would want more power+Duke 200, then go for the 390.

I've seen others waiting impatiently for the 390 and ready to sell off their 200. The 390 will make sense for those who
  1. Have the budget
  2. First time Duke buyer upgrading from a lower cc bike
  3. Duke fanatics
I also know a few owners of the Duke 200,including myself,who are planning to upgrade to a different class of bikes altogether. So it depends on personal choices really. But Im sure the Duke 200 is enough to satisfy all your city riding needs and occasional trips. I for one feel happy that I bought the Duke and not any other bike. Highway trips are a breeze.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 11th December 2012 at 16:51. Reason: Doc has already used the 350 & 500 analogy
Old 11th December 2012, 16:48   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I will buy Indian. Where parts and service is not an issue.
Well Pulsar is Indian and KTM is not. Any bike you buy today is sold & serviced. Depends on how much has it sold for parts to arrive.

Quote:
is not going to buy a Pulsar. Any Pulsar. He will stretch and pay the difference, and buy the KTM.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:35   #188
BHPian

thankyou ebonho and partha for the insights.

Given a choice i would go for 390 if priced around or under 2.5L. Although my purpose is daily commuting, i dont want a commuter. I look forward to the time i spend on road every day. i have devised my work timings off peak traffic so that i enjoy the ride. i look forward to my twice a month weekend rides. I am not a speed freak, but i would like to have the option of more power available, if required.
IN 2008 i had bought a machismo 350. After the initial euphoria, i found it to be underpowered, and cursed myself for not going for Machismo 500. Then in a years time, C5 was launched, and i rushed to brand store and booked one. One if the initial bikes in bangalore with pots of trouble. Did have some good time with the bike, but still found it to be somewhat underpowered for a 500. I know they are long stroke construction relying on push rods, and are not meant for speed, but still. I still do enjoy my long hauls on that bike, but its the constant niggles, and sluggishness in city conditions, for which i want a second bike.

Will think it over for a day or two and take a call.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:53   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Well Pulsar is Indian and KTM is not. Any bike you buy today is sold & serviced. Depends on how much has it sold for parts to arrive.
Bro I meant anything that is sold (manufactured whooly or assembled) in India by a company with biking pedigree (that rules out the fly by night Hyosung type arrangements).

Parts and service are a huge factor that go towards an enjoyable ownership experience.

Each of the above two (service and parts) has varying degrees running the gamut of the spectrum.

Even Ducati is sold in India officially. I would not buy one.

Even the world's most exotic bike becomes an absolute eyesore if you see it every morning in the garage waiting for a part that never arrives.

Or has "service backup" that does not go much beyond washing and changing fluids and filters.

P.S. The KTM Duke 200 is Indian. Designed and Manufactured in Pune. By an Indian company. How much more Indian can it get?

Over time I have realized how they have managed to keep the cost so low inspite of the level of equipment.

The basics of the bike are the expensive bits - fork, chassis, suspension, brakes, engine, ECU, EFI, electricals, wheels, exhaust, and cooling. This would I guess make up 90% of the cost of the bike, but be required 10% of the time.

The cheap parts are everything else. Which you 90% of the time need and go to the workshop for. But which in total would not add up to more than 10% the cost of the bike.

That is what I mean when I say I would buy Indian.

Because its one thing to buy an exotic. Something totally else getting parts for it. When you need them. At a price that you do not mind paying for them.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th December 2012 at 18:07.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 18:05   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
To add to this, the KTM390 would definitely have a different positioning compared to the 200. However, the KTM390 might get cannibalised by the Pulsar390. Since the price segment is going to be 2Lac and above, a lower or lesser priced 390 could very easily be taking away the market from the KTM 390..
Looking at UK prices, the delta between 200 and 390 is just around 300 GBP. So the price may actually be well south of 2L, which is good news for all bikers.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:00   #191
BHPian

Not quoting anyone, but the 200 and the 390 are MADE IN INDIA by Bajaj and exported globally. Both these bikes are based on the KTM125 which is the original Duke so to speak. All the 3 bikes share the common platform i.e chassis,suspension, breaks,electricals,etc.

Bajaj own about 49% in KTM and is looking at take 51% stake by end of 2013 or earlier. There is definitely some Bajaj engineering gone into developing the 200 and 390. Th point is even if you buy a 390 you would be getting an "Indian" bike and not an original KTM.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 09:56   #192
Senior - BHPian

Frankly Asif, so what? If the engineering is good as has been proven by the KTM 200, what's the difference between Indian and foreign built bike. High time we start appreciating our own engineering.
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 12:13   #193
BHPian

The 390 should be a handful for most of us. Eager to see this baby monster hit the roads. If KTM has plans of using this engine in different avatars (moto3, travel etc), I really do hope they atleast give them different mapping, gearing etc to make each one of those bikes unique.

Funny the quality question comes up.
For the price you pay for the duke200, it is right up there in terms of quality. For 1.38L OTR Bangalore (when I bought mine atleast) you get USDs, a fabulous swing arm, a multi functional display (which works), a fantastic frame and great set of rubber. I dunno, I don't think you can ask for more at that price point. And these components are not of 'bad' quality.
wolfy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 12:33   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Frankly Asif, so what? If the engineering is good as has been proven by the KTM 200, what's the difference between Indian and foreign built bike. High time we start appreciating our own engineering.
What we ask for, we get. We ask for robust 100cc bikes, and seeing the kind of abuse that our 100cc bikes can take for years, our engineering is spot on with the requirements.
manolin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 18:32   #195
BHPian

Just heard from a source inside KTM that they are likely to launch 390 in Jan !!

I cant wait
Closed Thread