Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 18th February 2013, 17:35   #256
BHPian

Default re: KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I heard there is a 390 (or 690?) on display at the KTM stores. Anybody seen?
Nothing of that sort is being displayed in the stores. The staff are cautious about what they speak and do not divulge any details on 390, but are happy to give anything about the 200 which they have including a TD.
As of now the details of the 390 are sketchy, only time will tell.
Old 19th February 2013, 13:54   #257
BHPian

Currently Iam happy riding my RE - Desert Storm. But the want for a affordable super bike was always itching somewhere in my head and I just cant believe I already started saving the money for this baby .

I was under the impression that only Royal Enfield could make a man super happy at a sub 2 lakh price,but now the rumored pricing of this mean machine makes me go bazooka.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:30   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
I was under the impression that only Royal Enfield could make a man super happy at a sub 2 lakh price,but now the rumored pricing of this mean machine makes me go bazooka.
Where did you hear that this bike is going to be sub 2 lacs?
Old 19th February 2013, 16:05   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
Currently Iam happy riding my RE - Desert Storm. But the want for a affordable super bike was always itching somewhere in my head and I just cant believe I already started saving the money for this baby .

Sorry for going - There are lots of things below 2 lakhs that can make a man very happy

Coming to bikes - after 2 bullets I moved to CBR 250R and became happier. Only 1.8L for ABS version.

I am sure that KTM 390 would be a huge upgrade from a desert storm. If it doesnt feel that way, then your next bike should be a Harley.
Old 19th February 2013, 16:20   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalva View Post
I am sure that KTM 390 would be a huge upgrade from a desert storm. If it doesnt feel that way, then your next bike should be a Harley.
The KTM 200 is a huge upgrade from any UCE 500 - Classic, Chrome, Desert Storm, or TB 500.

This is not to put down the Bullets. They have their own charm and there is a time for them in every red blooded Indian man's life.
Old 19th February 2013, 16:32   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The KTM 200 is a huge upgrade from any UCE 500 - Classic, Chrome, Desert Storm, or TB 500.

This is not to put down the Bullets. They have their own charm and there is a time for them in every red blooded Indian man's life.
I agree with a big qualification - "Torque".

One reason that I picked CBR250R over other options was better torque and bullet is way ahead in that respect. While going uphill with pillion and luggage, bullet would eat KTM 200 for breakfast.
If there is one thing about bullets that I miss, its the torque.
jalva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 16:47   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalva View Post
I agree with a big qualification - "Torque".

One reason that I picked CBR250R over other options was better torque and bullet is way ahead in that respect. While going uphill with pillion and luggage, bullet would eat KTM 200 for breakfast.
If there is one thing about bullets that I miss, its the torque.
Sorry bro, do not agree at all. We al know the numbers. But lets talk road.

I cannot comment on pillion, because most of us while riding or touring do not have pillions. And if we do (some of us, sometimes), we rarely ride in a competitive manner to really make out the difference.

Too many instances to count. Bapdeo, Lavasa, Amby Valley, Pasarni, Khambatki, Amboli, Gaganbawda - take your pick.

A stock Duke 200 versus a souped up Lightning 500 vs a souped up Machismo LB 500 vs a souped up Classic 500 (souped up = head work, filter, exhaust, carb). With around 20-25 kilos of luggage (saddlebags) for all bikes. Rider weights ranging between 80-110 kilos. All seasoned riders of more than 10-15 years of saddle time.

Breakfast, as well as lunch and dinner, the KTM is comfortably ahead while climbing. Not just ahead. But ahead by 3-4 corners. Now this is not to get into a debate of KTM vs Bullet. Just giving you my limited experience with regard to what "should" be Bullet's forte - i.e. climbing.

P.S. This is not dug dug dug climbing low on the revs I am talking about. This is racing up fast as you can within the group.

The instant torque, pull, slick gearbox, and climbing ability of the KTM is one of the important factors why so many Bullet guys have converted to this one bike more than any other in the past 10 years.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th February 2013 at 16:56.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 18:51   #263
BHPian

Quote:
The instant torque, pull, slick gearbox, and climbing ability of the KTM is one of the important factors why so many Bullet guys have converted to this one bike more than any other in the past 10 years.
very true!

i have been waiting for the 390 for eternity. The wait is been somewhat bearable as i have a first generation UCE C5 and keep tinkering with it to keep myself occupied. Inspite of numerous mods, including the recent EFI to carb conversion, UNI filter, free-flow pipes, larger jets, etc, i have never felt it to justify 499cc tag. people always contradict with words like, long stroke, low revving, tall geared, torque, etc, but 27 horses from a 500 mill is just not done especially when it trickes down to 22 odd at the wheel. And all this from a brand new integrated engine design. The irony is UCE was conceived and developed in the country of KTM.

Sorry, got carried away. looking forward to some concrete news on the release and booking. hope March it is.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 09:16   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
'Quality' is not something that happens by chance. tbhp stands for quality because of the folks that participate in the forums.

xbhp is a good forum when it comes to biking, ACI/Overdrive generally credible for the infor they provide. Other than that, I woudn't care much about many wannabe forums
Quote:
Fistful is an understatement. Even Bajaj guys may be wondering who else is manufacturing Dukes in India. How credible is motoroids?
Quote:
Please take with big fistfuls of salt.

The test bikes are also not out yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
And now Motoroids say that launch is only 6 days away?

http://motoroids.com/news/ktm-duke-3...ai-orange-day/
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Yeah, there are way too many of these websites that specialize in blowing news snippets out of proportion, knowing full well that there are several thousand motoring enthusiasts just waiting for some positive news on new bike launches.

If, say, a Honda announces that they are 'planning to develop a 400cc engine', there will be hazaar websites that will run headlines like 'Honda 400 for India soon', 'Honda big bike unveiled for India', and 'Honda CBR 400 RR (!) heading to showrooms in June 2013'. These guys just want the initial hits to their web pages so they can use that to drive ad revenue. I've stopped looking at these sites in Google Search results, my mind reacts to them in the same way as spam/web ads.

The actual bike manufacturers don't help things either, keeping their plans under wraps for so long, or continuously changing launch dates.
Please Note- KTM officials announced that they would unveil an 'important' new bike on Feb 24. Now, is there any new KTM that is more important than the 390?

Based on the above logic, it was posted by Motoroids that KTM India MIGHT launch the new bike on 24 Feb. 24 Feb was given as 'possible' launch date.

There have been numerous occasions on which Motoroids has been accurate with such information.

Sadly, it has turned out that KTM will showcase 2 new bikes at its Mumbai event and neither of these will be the 390.

I have been a member of teambhp since many years and there are a thousand things I love about the members here. However, it is nothing short of appalling to see the same members having not even the faintest of respect for some other website's work. Motoroids, or any website, never asked TeamBHP members to visit them and quote them. The members quote them on their own will.

So, instead of first quoting them/posting a hyperlink to other websites and then criticizing them, its better if you ignore them on the first place.

BTW-- Should I make that 'misquoting'? It was never said that KTM 390 Duke WILL be launched/unveiled on 24th. I believe there is a difference between 'possibility' and a 'confirmed' news.

Please guys, let us not act like kids and unnecessarily show someone to be inferior/inaccurate/whatever. ..I believe that most of the members here are well mannered and sensible car & bike aficionados and expect them to talk like ones.

PS- Before some 'deeply hurt' kid comes and asks me, let me reveal/declare that I work for Motoroids.

Thanks.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 21st February 2013 at 09:21.
Old 21st February 2013, 11:49   #265
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the clarification sir. However I guess every member including yourself have equal rights to express and it does not warrant to be called kids without even knowing the person.

"So, instead of first quoting them/posting a hyperlink to other websites and then criticizing them, its better if you ignore them on the first place"

Is there any rule in this forum against posting hyperlinks of other websites? Even with your clarification - if we (not-so-learned people) were to read the article - it does more or less does give the impression what members percieve.

If this has hurt you personally, I personally apologize on everyone's behalf but would still request you not to make personal attacks by calling the members kids. Each one is entitled to their opinions. I hope you appreciate that.

Thanks.

[mods may delete this post if found irrelevant]
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 11:58   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification sir. However I guess every member including yourself have equal rights to express and it does not warrant to be called kids without even knowing the person.

"So, instead of first quoting them/posting a hyperlink to other websites and then criticizing them, its better if you ignore them on the first place"

Is there any rule in this forum against posting hyperlinks of other websites? Even with your clarification - if we (not-so-learned people) were to read the article - it does more or less does give the impression what members percieve.

If this has hurt you personally, I personally apologize on everyone's behalf but would still request you not to make personal attacks by calling the members kids. Each one is entitled to their opinions. I hope you appreciate that.

Thanks.

[mods may delete this post if found irrelevant]
Dear sir,
first of all, you need not apologize. My comment was aimed at all the members in general and not to you are anyone specifically.

Secondly, there is of course no rule which bans any of us from posting links and quote other websites.

However, I admit that I did take it personally. Not because my employer was involved here but because the comments came from teambhp.

I have nothing against anyone here. I feel that every BHPian is a friend and to be frank, I have made some really great friends after joining this forum (back then, I was a school going lad and what some might call a 'kid').

Finally, all my previous comment meant was that people should have been more careful with going through that article and shouldn't have gone ahead with criticizing motoroids for spreading rumours.

Regards

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 21st February 2013 at 12:00.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:26   #267
Senior - BHPian

@ YC.BALENO.CHD - Given that you have clarified that your post is general, but my response here is simply because you have chosen to quote one of my posts as well to make your point - namely the one about taking such a report with fistfuls of salt.

If you check, I was responding to Shubz's earlier ost - "And Motoroids say --> KTM India dealers to start taking bookings for 390 DUKE. March end launch!"

I happen to be somewhat in the loop about what's happening, and hence was clarifying to the extent I could.

I do not know if Motoroids (or any other website or forum) did or did not say that Indian dealer were to start taking bookings for the 390 Duke for a March end launch.

My response was to a member here who claimed such a statement from said forum, to which I added my opinion based on what I know (about the field test bikes also not being on the scene yet).

You will no doubt accept, that nowhere was anything derogatory implied or directed to the forum by a statement directed to a piece of information that was quite obviously in the realm of conjecture.

I personally do visit other sites and forums to get any new info on bikes or cars I am interested in or just to know what's happening. And even then, I do make a distinction between what I read on the forum as an official report or a review versus discussions between members on the linked forums. The general trend being to attach greater credibility (by dint of background research and fact checks) to the former.

In ending, nothing personal bro. We are all enthusiasts (and I love the Baleno as well ). Peace!

Last edited by ebonho : 21st February 2013 at 12:28.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:45   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ YC.BALENO.CHD - Given that you have clarified that your post is general, but my response here is simply because you have chosen to quote one of my posts as well to make your point - namely the one about taking such a report with fistfuls of salt.

If you check, I was responding to Shubz's earlier ost - "And Motoroids say --> KTM India dealers to start taking bookings for 390 DUKE. March end launch!"

I happen to be somewhat in the loop about what's happening, and hence was clarifying to the extent I could.

I do not know if Motoroids (or any other website or forum) did or did not say that Indian dealer were to start taking bookings for the 390 Duke for a March end launch.

My response was to a member here who claimed such a statement from said forum, to which I added my opinion based on what I know (about the field test bikes also not being on the scene yet).

You will no doubt accept, that nowhere was anything derogatory implied or directed to the forum by a statement directed to a piece of information that was quite obviously in the realm of conjecture.

I personally do visit other sites and forums to get any new info on bikes or cars I am interested in or just to know what's happening. And even then, I do make a distinction between what I read on the forum as an official report or a review versus discussions between members on the linked forums. The general trend being to attach greater credibility (by dint of background research and fact checks) to the former.

In ending, nothing personal bro. We are all enthusiasts (and I love the Baleno as well ). Peace!
Let me clarify that my comment was not aimed at you. I quoted all the posts which I felt questioned the quality of posts at Motoroids.

Anyway, I am in no mood to blow this trivial issue out of proportion and would like to put an end to the unnecessary debate about who was right with his comments and who wasn't.

Lastly, I am happy that you love the Baleno. Always happy to get to know Baleno fans and lovers.

Regards
Old 21st February 2013, 12:56   #269
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please stick to the topic of discussion. Anything else may be taken offline via PM if required.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:47   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Please take with big fistfuls of salt.

The test bikes are also not out yet.
The RC8 and the 350 EXC to be showcased at the Orange Day have been tested here?
Closed Thread