Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 28th March 2013, 17:44   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default re: KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg

Sambhav the 390 will be unveiled and displayed on the 10th of April. The actual deliveries however will start only another 3 months from then (end June - early July).
Old 29th March 2013, 18:55   #347
BHPian

Had a word with one of the KTM dealers and the Duke 390 is expected to be around May 2013.
Official Bookings may start in some time. Lets see if this time its for sure or there is going to be another delay from KTM on 390 final launch Day.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:28   #348
BHPian

So, KTM Bangalore has starting calling customers who have shown interest in the 390 earlier. And asking them on a scale of 1-10 how interested are they in the product and would they like to be in the delivery list.

No updates on when and how much yet, but I guess its around the corner.
Old 6th April 2013, 21:10   #349
BHPian

I think it's brilliant what KTM and Bajaj are aiming to achieve by offering a bike at this price point and in no way do I think this is a bad bike. I might even plan to buy one, but I really fail to see the segment KTM is trying to reach out to with this bike.

All assumptions being that the bike should be almost identical to the 200, my reasons are:

1. It isn't a commuter as I am expecting it's average would be pretty low and opening her up on the city streets doesn't make sense. Also, people interested in having a pillion rider sitting behind won't like it either if it follows the 200 in terms of rear seat.

2. It isn't very good for a tourer (except the fact that it has excellent seating position and rider comfort should be great), because if, when doing high speeds(say 170kmph) a slight gust would be enough to push the bike into another lane altogether, owing to its light weight.

3. Stunting is already handled pretty well by the 200.

Keep in mind though, I am not at all skeptical about the bike, I really do think it's brilliant and I am considering over the CBR250R as a tourer. And yes, It might serve to be an all rounder but all I am, though, is curious as to what segment does this bike come under?
Old 7th April 2013, 00:06   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes I was very surpised as well, more about the CBR braking better than it being quicker 0-100. The brakes of the CBR (even the ABS version) are a known achilles heel. Anyways I know Varad really well. So if he says this is how it is, then its good enough for me.
I've read about this a lot! Why is it so? I am in the market for buying a good tourer(with ABS) and the 390 has just added to the confusion.

When one says 'So and so bike(say Duke) has good braking and inspires confidence' what does it mean and how does it differ from the ones that don't?
Old 8th April 2013, 12:46   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonmathews View Post
1. It isn't a commuter as I am expecting it's average would be pretty low and opening her up on the city streets doesn't make sense. Also, people interested in having a pillion rider sitting behind won't like it either if it follows the 200 in terms of rear seat.
Well, another way to look at it is that it would be twice as cheap as driving your car to work. Twice as fast. And 20 times more fun. Plus most of us do not take pillions to work, and the rear seat is perfect for supporting your laptop bag.

Quote:
2. It isn't very good for a tourer (except the fact that it has excellent seating position and rider comfort should be great), because if, when doing high speeds(say 170kmph) a slight gust would be enough to push the bike into another lane altogether, owing to its light weight.
Please bro. Slight gust of wind pushing the bike into another lane?

Quote:
Keep in mind though, I am not at all skeptical about the bike, I really do think it's brilliant and I am considering over the CBR250R as a tourer. And yes, It might serve to be an all rounder but all I am, though, is curious as to what segment does this bike come under?
Manic-fun-leave-your-brain-at-home segment.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th April 2013 at 12:48.
ebonho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 16:29   #352
BHPian

Quote:
but I really fail to see the segment KTM is trying to reach out to with this bike.
Honestly, bikes are meant to be enjoyed with just a single person riding it. Want pillion comfort get a Goldwing. I'm not being sarcastic, just saying that this bike like the 200 is meant for Play ... nothing serious!

KTM will be getting a very important segment with this bike. The cross section would look like :-

1. People wanting a bridge performance bike between the 250 and 650 segment
2. People wanting an upgrade from the mid-performance bikes like the Pulsar 220, Karizma and R15's.
3. Folks looking for more performance at a cheaper price (Ninja's too expensive and Hyosungs out of budget)

But I hope this does end up being the first bike of college kids, which I know will happen a lot but still I hope parents have some sense at least.

About touring, well if people can tour on TVS 50's then there isn't much to complain about these bikes.

Quote:
Manic-fun-leave-your-brain-at-home segment.
Superbly put

Last edited by praful : 8th April 2013 at 16:51.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 17:00   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I was very surpised as well, more about the CBR braking better than it being quicker 0-100. The brakes of the CBR (even the ABS version) are a known achilles heel. Anyways I know Varad really well. So if he says this is how it is, then its good enough for me.
I own a CBR myself and I find these figures pretty surprising. It's not the acceleration figures that I am talking about. It's the braking figures that are given. Yes, the brakes are not great. But what surprises me here is and I might be wrong.

My confusion is, how is the CBR braking in a shorter distance than the Duke, but doing so slower than the Duke?
Old 8th April 2013, 20:12   #354
BHPian

Quote:

1. Please bro. Slight gust of wind pushing the bike into another lane?

2. Manic-fun-leave-your-brain-at-home segment.
1. Won't it? I don't have a very good idea about it personally but people over on the CBR thread keep saying 'the bike is heavy so won't sway at speeds'. So, I thought I'd ask.

2. Haha. Couldn't put it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
1.Honestly, bikes are meant to be enjoyed with just a single person riding it. Want pillion comfort get a Goldwing. I'm not being sarcastic, just saying that this bike like the 200 is meant for Play ... nothing serious!

2. KTM will be getting a very important segment with this bike. The cross section would look like :-

3. But I hope this does end up being the first bike of college kids, which I know will happen a lot but still I hope parents have some sense at least.
1&3 Being a college kid myself sir, I was interested in a tourer and settled with the CBR but now this one's got my attention. Mom won't approve though because(guess what?) the seat isn't good for a pillion. Personally, I understand that fact that such a bike isn't bought for a pillion to be taken around for the city but, oh well.

2. Didn't really look at it that way and it's because of the probably price that I think this bike would be a BIG hit.

Worthy contender as a tourer over the CBR? Considering it might have fuel issues and it isn't advised to fuel up from pump beside the highways?
Old 8th April 2013, 20:52   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Worthy contender as a tourer over the CBR? Considering it might have fuel issues and it isn't advised to fuel up from pump beside the highways?
Touring is a generic requirement, and peoples needs from a tourer varies a lot. So one can't really say X is better than Y.

That said, last year's top 3 winners of the Raid were Duke 200's
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 05:22   #356
BHPian

I am a Duke 200 owner and have had the bike for 1 year now. No other bike put such a silly grin on my face when riding it. But I'm seriously looking forward to the launch of the 390. It's my opinion, but I don't think there would be any other bike that can match the fun factor the 390 offers at it's price
Old 9th April 2013, 07:43   #357
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
I've read about this a lot! Why is it so? I am in the market for buying a good tourer(with ABS) and the 390 has just added to the confusion.

When one says 'So and so bike(say Duke) has good braking and inspires confidence' what does it mean and how does it differ from the ones that don't?
By touring do you mean riding 500kms on a good highway, broken stretches, country roads on any given day? If so almost all bikes above 200cc 20bhp are good tourers.
If you are speaking of Mumbai-Bangalore legs then yes, a faired bike is far far better than a naked one, especially at 100+ speeds where in wind resistance pays a big part in rider fatigue. But you got to understand, that a wrist down bump up position (think R15) is the worst when it comes to un even roads, speed bumps or broken tarmac, puts a huge strain on your joints and ultimately reduces your riding range and speeds.
CBR 250 is perfect in terms of seating position and I believe is good for touring. For a bigger tourer nothing better than a Ninja 650.

Good braking inspiring confidence means when you see a cow in your lane 100 feet away and you have to stop quickly, would you feel you and your bike can easily stop without drama or you feel a slide coming sooner or later and you see yourself on the cow
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 10:08   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

Touring is a generic requirement, and peoples needs from a tourer varies a lot. So one can't really say X is better than Y.

That said, last year's top 3 winners of the Raid were Duke 200's
Alright. Thanks Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

1. By touring do you mean riding 500kms on a good highway, broken stretches
If you are speaking of Mumbai-Bangalore legs then yes, a faired bike is far far better than a naked one, But you got to understand, that a wrist down bump up position (think R15) is the worst
CBR 250 is perfect in terms of seating position and I believe is good for touring. For a bigger tourer nothing better than a Ninja 650.

2. Good braking inspiring confidence means when you see a cow in your lane 100 feet away and you have to stop quickly, would you feel you and your bike can easily stop without drama or you feel a slide coming sooner or later and you see yourself on the cow
Thanks for your advice Sir. Pretty much have it figured out now. Cbr250r seems to be brilliant as a tourer but I'd be dammed If I don't give the 390 a spin before I buy the bike.

2. That confidence would be inspired more by abs right? Knowing that you aren't going to skid allows you to apply the breaks as hard as possible.
Old 9th April 2013, 10:55   #359
BHPian

Quote:
That confidence would be inspired more by abs right? Knowing that you aren't going to skid allows you to apply the breaks as hard as possible.
Hey, I have the same question, how much of a difference does ABS make on a bike? Is it 'safer' like 'having a crash guard is safer' (might be in certain situations), or safer as in 'using a helmet is safer' (always, in all situations).
Old 9th April 2013, 12:10   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Hey, I have the same question, how much of a difference does ABS make on a bike? Is it 'safer' like 'having a crash guard is safer' (might be in certain situations), or safer as in 'using a helmet is safer' (always, in all situations).
The ABS on CBR 250R makes a considerable difference. To use your analogy, I would say it is safer as in 'using a helmet is safer'. Imagine, a graveled road and a sudden braking situations, while the standard will most probably lock it's brakes and will end up in you losing control, on the ABS the anti-lock system will kick in and bring you to safe halt without any issues. To me, that's as good as having a good helmet.

PS: Yet, I have the standard as I had already outstretched my budget while buying the bike. The brakes on the standard are ok, but definitely not confidence inspiring. It takes some getting used to, to understand exactly how much pressure you need to put to stop safely without locking the brakes.
lobojames9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread