Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2013, 11:13   #601
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg

In my experience, with my saddlebags, once you put them one, they overlap hugely with (over) the pillion footrest support pillar, with the bags on each side actually resting on the footrest as extra support. Which is perfect for my needs, but obviously means that an pillion I unlikely pick up along the way would be sitting as on an elephant (i.e. legs spread out awkwardly and hanging on each side).

The Duke 2-up looks best with really small and slim boy-girl couples (high school types preferred over junior college), with a combined weight of 90 odd kilos.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th June 2013 at 11:15.
Old 19th June 2013, 11:23   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
In my experience, with my saddlebags, once you put them one, they overlap hugely with (over) the pillion footrest support pillar, with the bags on each side actually resting on the footrest as extra support. Which is perfect for my needs, but obviously means that an pillion I unlikely pick up along the way would be sitting as on an elephant (i.e. legs spread out awkwardly and hanging on each side).

The Duke 2-up looks best with really small and slim boy-girl couples (high school types preferred over junior college), with a combined weight of 90 odd kilos.
What if I use the expandable rack bag on a carrier plate mounted on.the chassis over the rear? Supposed to give me close to 80 litres of storage, woot! Then the pillion can sit normal no?
Old 19th June 2013, 11:31   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What if I use the expandable rack bag on a carrier plate mounted on.the chassis over the rear? Supposed to give me close to 80 litres of storage, woot! Then the pillion can sit normal no?
You can do that, but then the balance of the bike is going to go for a toss. Think of a vehicle with a huge overhang, and how it behaves in corners.

I do realise that most "normal" bikes do have this overhang, and more often than not the pillion part of the seat is behind the rear axle, and the mudguard, number plate, tail light assembly comes even further back.

But none of those bike have the kind of razor sharp handling the Duke does.

Ask any Duke owner about what he loves about the Duke. Chances are in a list of 5 top features, manic pickup and razor sharp handling will more often than not top the list.

Why buy a bike and then set out to neuter one of its main USPs?

Makes sense to just buy another bike, designed for your need.

Unless you reason out that these two up tours are once in a way, and you can compromise on the fun for that, as long as the rest 90% of the time you can ditch the rear rack and ride the 390 as it was designed to be ridden.

I guess that is the bottom line.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 11:56   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can do that, but then the balance of the bike is going to go for a toss. Think of a vehicle with a huge overhang, and how it behaves in corners.

I do realise that most "normal" bikes do have this overhang, and more often than not the pillion part of the seat is behind the rear axle, and the mudguard, number plate, tail light assembly comes even further back.

But none of those bike have the kind of razor sharp handling the Duke does.

Ask any Duke owner about what he loves about the Duke. Chances are in a list of 5 top features, manic pickup and razor sharp handling will more often than not top the list.

Why buy a bike and then set out to neuter one of its main USPs?

Makes sense to just buy another bike, designed for your need.

Unless you reason out that these two up tours are once in a way, and you can compromise on the fun for that, as long as the rest 90% of the time you can ditch the rear rack and ride the 390 as it was designed to be ridden.

I guess that is the bottom line.
Well I need to compromise somewhere, because the only other two bikes that meet requirements are:

1. The Ceeber which is over priced and just pales in comparison to the 390
2. and the bullet - less said the better.

I could wait for the CBR 400/500 twins, but they will compete with the Ninja 300 on pricing, since they're faired. That I am sure of. 4.5L for those bikes dont make sense.

Tell me, what else do we have? An Enduro version for the 390 would be great, but that launches - if at all- end of next year.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 12:17   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Well I need to compromise somewhere, because the only other two bikes that meet requirements are:

1. The Ceeber which is over priced and just pales in comparison to the 390
2. and the bullet - less said the better.
You haven't answered my questions. How heavily built are you two? How often do you plan on touring 2 up and what distances typically.

With the extended overhang and the bag you have shown, you could tour two up, but like doc says, you may find the handling a bit off on a fully loaded bike with a heavy rider and pillion. Add a tank bag and you are set for a nice 4 day vacation. If this is gonna be a once in a way scenario, by all means go for the duke. But if you plan on doing this often, I am afraid your partner will soon ditch touring with you (which kinda solves your problem).

The ceeber twins, enduro duke etc are all future possibilities man. You may end up getting old waiting for something to be launched here in India. Buy what's available and make the most of it while you can.
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 12:34   #606
Senior - BHPian

We need to wait till the 25th for the price, but frankly at the expected price point, no other bike in India would come close. Even remotely.

So yes, you will have to work around its size limitations as a fair bargain.

Or wait for the half sibling from Bajaj soon to follow, before deciding.

Also, you say the Ninja 300 and the CBR 400 (we won't be getting the 500) do not make sense at the 4-4.5 Lac price point.

Does a Ninja 650 at 5.5 Lacs make more sense?

Last edited by ebonho : 19th June 2013 at 12:39.
Old 19th June 2013, 13:00   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We need to wait till the 25th for the price, but frankly at the expected price point, no other bike in India would come close. Even remotely.

Also, you say the Ninja 300 and the CBR 400 (we won't be getting the 500) do not make sense at the 4-4.5 Lac price point.

Ninja 650 is the bike Wish it also had ABS! Would have made it a more better buy.
Old 19th June 2013, 13:48   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Ninja 650 is the bike Wish it also had ABS! Would have made it a more better buy.
Touring with the 650 to remote places and parking it without attracting attention is a HUGE p.i.a. Why i liked the 390 was that it doesn't look super bikish at all!
Old 19th June 2013, 14:00   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Touring with the 650 to remote places and parking it without attracting attention is a HUGE p.i.a. Why i liked the 390 was that it doesn't look super bikish at all!
One thing I have noticed (and followed) is to never clean the bike while on tour. If the bike is covered in mud and road muck, it generally attracts much lesser unwanted attention than a spic and span shiny bike!

From what I have heard though, (never ridden one), the 650 is a big bike and heavy as well. A couple of Bulleteer friends of mine (one of them who owns a 650 as well) says they finds it heavier than a Bullet.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:02   #610
BHPian

A bike at a reasonable price, that's fast and exciting as well as a comfortable 2-up tourer, and does not attract too much attention on the road, and is available right now in India or will be in the foreseeable future...I personally can't think of anything!

If anyone can, I'd be really, really interested!

Frankly, I see only the Bullets ticking most of the boxes wrt comfortable 2-up touring with luggage, reasonable price point and minimal attention on the road.

Many people say the Karizma makes for a good all-rounder and I guess the CBR 250R will be better in that aspect. Of course, it's not going to have 'mad' performance like the KTM.

Maybe wait for the 350cc Pulsar that will follow the Duke.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 15:08   #611
Senior - BHPian

Most Indians cannot bend their head around paying as much for a motorcycle as they would for a reasonable sized and featured hatchback. Even they can afford it.

I am one of them.

So the "reasonable" bit with regard to price is not by any means purely logic driven or objective.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:35   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Most Indians cannot bend their head around paying as much for a motorcycle as they would for a reasonable sized and featured hatchback. Even they can afford it.

I am one of them.

So the "reasonable" bit with regard to price is not by any means purely logic driven or objective.
I really want to buy a bike. And I have a Baleno which I love, but which I have sell before it becomes a safed ghoda due to age. So that means a bike and a car buy, which is too much financially for me. In frustration, I sometimes think, screw it all, and buy a Nano - novelty value of say a Duke (in my friends circle, who have tried to run away from the college situation of only bikes as soon as they could afford), fun, chuckability factor of bike (in a way, drive a Nano - its just fun), rain evading capability of the baleno, cheaper running quality of a bike, and most importantly no beating of head factor as would happen if I had to buy a car and a bike.
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:27   #613
BHPian

Got a callfrom The dealer: Bookings open from the 26th. 30k Booking amount

The problem is it is 2.6 Lacs OTR. The N300 looks more & more attractive !
Old 22nd June 2013, 16:35   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Got a callfrom The dealer: Bookings open from the 26th. 30k Booking amount

The problem is it is 2.6 Lacs OTR. The N300 looks more & more attractive !

I got the same call. That is a 10K increase over expected on road in Bangalore. The 300 is coming in at a shade over 4 lacs. Do you really think the additional 1.4-1.5 tag is justified? I'd seriously consider the extra dough well spent if all I was doing was touring. But for weekend joyrides or city runs?
Old 22nd June 2013, 16:58   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I got the same call. That is a 10K increase over expected on road in Bangalore. The 300 is coming in at a shade over 4 lacs. Do you really think the additional 1.4-1.5 tag is justified? I'd seriously consider the extra dough well spent if all I was doing was touring. But for weekend joyrides or city runs?
This bike's turned me off quite a bit because of zilch pillion touring ability. Might just have to wait for the enduro version to come through. Sigh.
Closed Thread