Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th August 2013, 18:45   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaykakkar View Post
It's a relief to hear that! since I am also nearing a full empty tank & will record the first mileage soon.
Although, I don't expect anything good - especially because it is the first mileage figure.
You sure will be happy with what the Ray returns in terms of fuel efficiency. At the service stations, the other Ray owners that I have interacted with tell me that they get 45kms/ltr, one such customer told me he gets 50+ kms/ltr. I just reply back to them that its great to hear that.

I definitely do not believe them, if you get a mileage of 40+ on a gearless scooter, then be assured that your scooter is a good one!

Ray is definitely good! Another 2 more months and my Ray will be a year old.

Happy Raying!
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 17:58   #137
BHPian

Thanks yikes6633 for this thread. Have been thinking for quite sometime about buying a scooter for both of us(me and wifey). first choice was honda aviator. Even i was about to book one today. but after going through the posts here I've decided to take a TD of Ray today. Took wifey along with. She loved the Ray. it is indeed a excellent scooter.I really enjoyed the ride. 0 to 60 is really quick. Handling excellent, better than aviator. Seat height is suitable for both tall and short person. i liked the way it handled the speed breakers. The performance of Ray was above my expectations. on our way home, visited Suzuki showroom nearby. Wifey didn't like the look of the suzuki scooters. So, that chapter was closed. Well, design wise Ray is in a different league. Aviator has some plus points like somewhat smoother and more powerful engine, better under seat space, TL tyres, combi braking etc. But wifey found handling and seat height of Ray much more comfortable than the Aviator. So, ultimately Ray won. Going to buy a Ray soon.
Lucas_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 16:34   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_2007 View Post
Thanks yikes6633 for this thread. Have been thinking for quite sometime about buying a scooter for both of us(me and wifey). first choice was honda aviator. Even i was about to book one today. but after going through the posts here I've decided to take a TD of Ray today. Took wifey along with. She loved the Ray. it is indeed a excellent scooter.I really enjoyed the ride. 0 to 60 is really quick. Handling excellent, better than aviator. Seat height is suitable for both tall and short person. i liked the way it handled the speed breakers. The performance of Ray was above my expectations. on our way home, visited Suzuki showroom nearby. Wifey didn't like the look of the suzuki scooters. So, that chapter was closed. Well, design wise Ray is in a different league. Aviator has some plus points like somewhat smoother and more powerful engine, better under seat space, TL tyres, combi braking etc. But wifey found handling and seat height of Ray much more comfortable than the Aviator. So, ultimately Ray won. Going to buy a Ray soon.
Great Choice, you will love this scooter.
Old 14th October 2013, 14:55   #139

I've picked up a Red Ray Z in Sept'13. Had bought it for my wife but happy to admit that I end up using it on most occasions in lieu of my old Unicorn !!
Love the attention it gets being relatively new in the market; have had strangers coming up to me and asking how is it, "kitna avg deti hain?".
The 1st service experience was good. The sales experience at Kamla Yamaha, Borivali, Mumbai was fantastic as well. Happy with the overall mileage of around 38 - 40. Love the scoot !!
liv2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:11   #140
BHPian

^^ congratulation on your Ray Z. I think its a good choice over Activa !!

Waiting for the pictures :-)
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 16:33   #141
BHPian

My Ray is exactly 4 days from turning a year old. It's been a good scooter so far and we have been extremely satisfied with it.

Today, we gave the scooter for its 6th Service as per the schedule with 7452 on the odo. The 6th service is the first one that we had to pay for (it's a paid service).

Below are the details:

Engine Oil: 225.00
Gen. Service: 393.00
Consumables: 62.00

Total: 680.00

The only complaint that I mentioned in the job card was that I'm receiving a low mileage. This was intentionally done to force the service mechanic to look into the health of the spark plug, the timing and any tuning requirements.

As usual, as soon as I collected the Ray, after the service, I adjusted the brakes and idling to my liking.

Happy 1 year to my Ray!

Happy Raying!
Old 25th October 2013, 16:54   #142
BHPian

Hello yikes6633, I would like to know if the ray feels kind of powerless with a pillion compared to the activa because I had got that kinda feeling when I had ridden it with my brother as a pillion. We both are around 60kgs.
Car_Freak_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 12:21   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
My Ray is exactly 4 days from turning a year old. It's been a good scooter so far and we have been extremely satisfied with it.

Today, we gave the scooter for its 6th Service as per the schedule with 7452 on the odo. The 6th service is the first one that we had to pay for (it's a paid service).
Happy first birthday to your Ray !

Don't you find the service interval too short ? Why does it require to be serviced so frequently ?

When I purchased my Activa-i, Yamaha Ray was also a close contender. When I enquired about the service interval, I was shocked to hear that Ray needs to be serviced every 2 months, compared to 4 months for Honda scooters.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 18:05   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Happy first birthday to your Ray !

Don't you find the service interval too short ? Why does it require to be serviced so frequently ?

When I purchased my Activa-i, Yamaha Ray was also a close contender. When I enquired about the service interval, I was shocked to hear that Ray needs to be serviced every 2 months, compared to 4 months for Honda scooters.

Rohan
The service interval is an average of 70 days. The reason for this in my opinion is threefold:

1) Ray was launched in a scooter market which is dominated by Honda, its newness and leaving no room for any engineering defects is a possible reason

2) Yamaha tried to localize the production of the Ray to keep its cost competitive, there would be inferior parts due to this high level of localization. Given the fact that they ventured into the scooter market late, they wanted to play it real safe and ensure that at regular quick intervals they are able to assess and monitor performance as well as reliability of the parts (they recalled over 40000 scooters to replace handles was one of instance, the other was when they recalled the Ray to put some additional rubber padding around the battery to prevent acid spills)

3) To be as competitive as the competition, they claimed a 2 year warranty on any part failure, so they formatted the service such that the first 5 are free, then every alternate service is free upto the 10th service.

Once I complete the 10 services, I'm sure I wouldn't service the scooter that often, once in 4 to 5 months would be most ideal.

Thanks for wishing my Ray on the completion of its first anniversary with us.

Rohan - I have never faced any lag in power. There have been several occassions where in I have ridden the scooter with my wife and two kids (in and around my house only, never on main roads). The roads around my home are steep and the scooter feels and handles fine.

From a technical specs standpoint, the payload of the Ray is 130kgs and that of Activa is 142kgs (info from the www)

Last edited by yikes6633 : 2nd November 2013 at 18:07.
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:58   #145
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the excellent ownership review. This review sealed my decision to buy Ray z for my wife. Just like how duke 200/390 is for KTM, very hooligan, brutal power in bikes, i would say Ray z is for Scooter category.
Picked it up 1 week ago, completed around 250 kms, very light and nimble scooter. As usual i have ended up using it most of the time than my wife.
Thanks again for the detailed ownership review.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:21   #146
BHPian

As i see all the Ray owners here in one thread, i feel its better to ask the question here. How are you managing to wash and polish the matte finish on the Ray Z version. Normal polish/shampoo would leave streaks on the matte finish plastics.
Old 6th November 2013, 15:37   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
How are you managing to wash and polish the matte finish on the Ray Z version. Normal polish/shampoo would leave streaks on the matte finish plastics.
Avoid applying any wax or polish on the matt black plastics. It would leave a white residue on the matt finish.

Use a mild degreaser after a wash to get rid of the post wash streaks.

I have Krud Kutter, a degreaser which i got from the US, if you want you can borrow it and test it out Does the job perfectly for me on the ninja.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:57   #148
BHPian

Thanks Adi for the offer. Probably i will try and test it out. I am looking at if i can get a shampoo cum polish for matte finish plastics at a reasonable cost over here.
So was curious what other Ray Z owners are upto on it.
Old 4th January 2014, 20:28   #149
BHPian

Today, we left the Ray for its 7th bonus free service with the odo reading 8220kms. The details are as follows:

Consumables: 65.17
Yamalube: 255.00
Total 320.00

The noticeable difference is that Yamaha has increased the price of its oil (yamalube) by a whopping Rs.30/- in one shot.

There were no complaints and the Ray is its peppy self.

Over the last 50 days we used the Ray sparingly for 2 reasons, one is the bitter cold and the other is that it was the holiday season and we were traveling for 15-20 days.

Happy Raying
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:26   #150
BHPian

The night before the Last, when I was riding back home on my Ray, I generally tend to switch off the scooter at each of the many signal lights that I have to get through.

I noticed after a couple of times I had stopped and restarted the scooter the headlight wasn't coming on. I tried tugging at the switch on - off position hard now and then and it came on with a flicker and again and again.

I took it to the service center last evening and they said that the contacts within the switch are corroded. They replaced the headlight switch that costed Rs. 42/- after which its working fine.

Happy Raying!